RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Riverdale wins HS NC (via human not computer)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/11/17 5:06 pm    ::: Riverdale wins HS NC (via human not computer) Reply Reply with quote

MaxPreps has two high school ranking systems, one compiled by a lone descendant of Cro-Magnon man (Clay Kallam) and the other generated by a descendant of the HAL 9000 supercomputer.

http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/girls-basketball/xcellent25.htm

MaxPreps awarded the not-so-mythical high school national championship to Riverdale of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, this season, and they did so on the basis of the homo sapiens cerebrum. Hoo-rah! for humans.

<iframe width='560' height='354' src="//www.maxpreps.com/widgets/video.aspx?id=29616f3c-6c62-4e15-bdaa-8c26b34b87df" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Other organizations in the past have anointed high school national champions, but I forget who they are and don't know what team, if anyone, they selected this season. Perhaps someone else does.

Tennessee recruit Anastasia Hayes was the star of Riverdale.
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 04/11/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anastasia Hayes comes to college and champion.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Corwin, an occasional poster here, compiled this consensus national ranking:

https://passthaball.com/2017/04/06/pass-tha-ball-prep-polls-st-johns-emerges/

PostPosted: 04/12/17 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Anastasia gets a title at Tennessee.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bob Corwin, an occasional poster here, compiled this consensus national ranking:

Interesting, methodologically fallible, but it reminds me that USA Today is likely the oldest publication that has been awarding mythical national championships for girl's high school basketball.

Bob Corwin, who probably sees as much high school basketball as anyone, refuses to pick a personal choice, simply observing that "there was no 'super-best' team in 2016-2017".

He then goes on to do an arithmetic averaging of four polls in which human beings picked winners. Hence, he uses an algorithm. Interestingly, his algorithm ignores the two polls that picked winners by computer algorithm. That is, both MaxPreps and USA Today had computer rankings that picked different winners than their human rankings.

In the human rankings, both MaxPreps and USA Today selected Riverdale as #1, Blue Star picked Miami Country Day, and ESPNW picked Clovis West.

In their separate computer rankings, MaxPreps picked Clovis West and USA Today picked Miami Country Day as #1.

Bob Corwin's algorithmic averaging of the four human rankings resulted in St. John’s College High School (Washington, DC) being the "arithmetic consensus" #1 -- even though none of the four humans and none of the two computers had selected St. John's as their #1.

Hmmm. To buy or not to buy . . . Bob's methodology . . . that is the question.

For those with a continuing interest in Cro-Magnon descendants, genealogy and/or the Lady Vols, you may be interested to know that Riverdale High School has two younger sisters of it's star senior Anastasia Hayes: sophomore Aislynn Hayes and freshman Alasia Hayes.
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Are the MaxPreps Computer Rankings still done by Freeman? If so, I guess legends of the NorCal high school scene control all the rankings. I remember all of the interesting stuff he had in the early days of his ranking system when he would do a lot of projections for MCAL basketball.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/13/17 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Are the MaxPreps Computer Rankings still done by Freeman? If so, I guess legends of the NorCal high school scene control all the rankings. I remember all of the interesting stuff he had in the early days of his ranking system when he would do a lot of projections for MCAL basketball.

I know Ned Freeman did the original algorithm, but I have no idea who handles it now. It seems biased towards total wins, thus favoring Texas (where they play a lot of games) and it also loves California and Indiana.

No idea why, given that it's just a formula ...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: