RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Spicer alludes Assad more despicable than Hitler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:06 pm    ::: Spicer alludes Assad more despicable than Hitler Reply Reply with quote

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hitler-sink-chemical-weapons-spicer/story?id=46732616

"We didn't even use chemical weapons in World War II," Spicer said during today's press briefing.

"You had a -- you know someone as despicable as Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons," Spicer said.

Asked by ABC News' Cecila Vega to later clarify his comments, Spicer gave a further muddled answer, "I think when you come to sarin gas, there was no -- he was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing," Spicer said of Hitler.

PostPosted: 04/11/17 2:37 pm    ::: Re: Spicer alludes Assad more despicable than Hitler Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/11/17 8:39 pm    ::: Re: Spicer alludes Assad more despicable than Hitler Reply Reply with quote

Hitler just "put them in Jewish Centers" ...

Anyone else take it a little differently than the way it's being reported though? Not necessarily that Hitler didn't use chemical welfare, but that Spicer didn't consider the victims of the Holocaust to be "Hitler's people" (IE legitimate German citizens).

Because if that's the way he meant it, that's a scary thought process..who would Trump consider "his people." (Not that he would ever use chemical weapons, but rather..in terms of legislation..)

PostPosted: 04/12/17 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i believe the actual quote was 'Holocaust centers'.

PostPosted: 04/12/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
i believe the actual quote was 'Holocaust centers'.

Correct. My apologies. Doesn't make it better. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/12/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spicer seemed to me to apologize solely for making an inappropriate analogy to the Holocaust. While that is certainly bad enough, it struck me when I heard him that his much greater sin was minimizing the horror of the Holocaust in at least two respects.

The first was the implicit limitation on "chemical weapons" as being something only delivered on the field of battle or by means of a typical weapon of war, and excluding therefrom the herding of victims into groups where poison gases could more efficiently be dispensed en masse. I don't see how delivering hydrogen cyanide or carbon monoxide in extermination chambers is any less an example of using chemical weapons on your own people than is dropping a cannister of sarin gas on a population center. I reject Spicer's implicit distinction which seems to me, by his denial that Hitler gassed his own people, as minimizing the seriousness of the Holocaust and suggesting that mass exterminations in gas chambers are somehow less heinous than mass exterminations in the open.

Second was his use of the term "Holocaust Centers." This is a term I have never heard before, and I am curious whether or not there is some genesis or common usage among the Holocaust denial conspiracy wackos. But plainly he was choosing to use a term less familiar and seemingly less inflammatory than "concentration camps" again in an obvious effort to understate the horror of the Holocaust.

He shouldn't primarily be apologizing for the analogy. He should be apologizing (actually he should be unemployed) for purposely trying to minimize the seriousness of the Holocaust and thereby (purposely or recklesssly) giving comfort to all the anti-Semites and other Holocaust deniers. And on Passover, no less.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: