RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DC Mystics 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Monica Wright of the DMV is unrestricted and unsigned. I have no idea of her current health status. She only played 4 games in the off-season.

She would fit the theme of the Mystics this season if she could get healthy.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
scullyfu

PostPosted: 04/06/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm confused, can someone please set me straight? I thought the Mystics were moving this year; yet on their schedule it shows games at the Phone Booth. ??? thanks.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
i'm confused, can someone please set me straight? I thought the Mystics were moving this year; yet on their schedule it shows games at the Phone Booth. ??? thanks.

Mystics home games will be at the Verizon Center for 2017. There's a chance the Mystics will be moving to their new home in 2018 if the venue is finish.

stever

PostPosted: 04/06/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

Construction of the new "arena" is in its very early stages.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/17 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

I doubt they started construction on that. Maybe next year?

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics will have to subtract a current roster player in order to add a drafted player.

Mystics Current Roster:
Natasha Cloud
Elena Delle Donna
Tianna Hawkins
Tayler Hill
Ivory Latta
Ally Malott
Emma Meesseman
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt
LaToya Sanders
Asia Taylor
Krystal Thomas
Kristi Toliver

The two players I see who are at risk being removed (traded or release) from the Mystics Roster are Ally Malott and Asia Thomas both play in the frontcourt. I feel the Mystics will draft at #6 a frontcourt player or trade the pick for a frontcourt player to replace Ally Malott or Asia Taylor on the teams' roster.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
The Mystics will have to subtract a current roster player in order to add a drafted player.

Mystics Current Roster:
Natasha Cloud
Elena Delle Donna
Tianna Hawkins
Tayler Hill
Ivory Latta
Ally Malott
Emma Meesseman
Tierra Ruffin-Pratt
LaToya Sanders
Asia Taylor
Krystal Thomas
Kristi Toliver

The two players I see who are at risk being removed (traded or release) from the Mystics Roster are Ally Malott and Asia Thomas both play in the frontcourt. I feel the Mystics will draft at #6 a frontcourt player or trade the pick for a frontcourt player to replace Ally Malott or Asia Taylor on the teams' roster.

Guards: Cloud, Toliver, Latta, Hill. PERIOD. Anybody else see a problem depending on these four? Of these four, not one is an ideal PG. This hole is HUMUNGOUS - clearly higher priority than anything else by a country mile.

Asia TAYLOR (not Thomas) is a 3/4. The only 3/4 who'd be better coming in is Alicia Gray and she'll be gone.

Now, if somebody wants to throw a 3/4 player to move up in the draft, the Mystics can draft the best PG in the draft Lindsey Allen. Then Hill, Toliver, Latta can do what they do best - shoot the rock.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I highly doubt the Mystics will draft a player who hasn't been invited to the draft in the 1st round this year. The Mystics probably already have signal to WNBA Headquarters to have the Mystics jersey ready to be shown with the player on TV.

Mike Thibault wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try to move up in the draft to select Coates or Brionna Jones if has to be Cloud, Ruffin-Pratt and /or Malott with the #6 pick so be it.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/08/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I highly doubt the Mystics will draft a player who hasn't been invited to the draft in the 1st round this year. The Mystics probably already have signal to WNBA Headquarters to have the Mystics jersey ready to be shown with the player on TV.

Mike Thibault wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try to move up in the draft to select Coates or Brionna Jones if has to be Cloud, Ruffin-Pratt and /or Malott with the #6 pick so be it.

Oh great. Going from just four guards to three is such a winning formula.

I was all about going for B.Jones...until I looked at the roster.

Since when does Mike T care if his pick is present at the draft????

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/17 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Ruffin-Pratt(defense)/Latta(three point)/#27
Delle Donne/Malott/#18
Meesseman/Hawkins/Taylor
Thomas/Sanders/BJones(if available)

Technically, Ruffin-Pratt is a 5'10 guard, so she can be used as a guard and doesn't need to be a starter

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Latta/#18/#27
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Sanders/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas/BJones(if available)

Expendable

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/08/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not trying to get in the whole flame war going on but I like this more

Toliver/Latta
Hill/#5 SWK/Cloud
TRP/Taylor
EDD/Sanders/Hawkins
Messeman/K. Thomas

or going the other way

Toliver/Latta
Hill/TRP/Cloud
EDD/Coffey
Messeman/Hawkins/Taylor
K. Thomas/Sanders

Or bring all the worlds together and cross fingers that B. Jones falls to #6 and L. Allen falls to #18

Toliver/L. Allen
Hill//Latta/Cloud
EDD/TRP
Messeman/Sanders/Hawkins
K. Thomas/B. Jones

Or move TRP to the 2, add Taylor at the 3 and drop Cloud

Lumes

PostPosted: 04/09/17 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no way big slow body on 5 will benefit. you have best spacing team in the league and one of the fastest. And want to kill main advantage with Thomas in starting line-up? Look at the direction basketball moving - spacing, 3pt, perimeter defense. Not boxing out - this is XX century fox.
Yes, you need big body, but only for short stretches, giving rest to EDD, or to change the game. And, having Sanders - I will play her over Thomas every single night.
Also with a lot of shooters, you need penetration - either TRP or Hill. Or Cloud.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/09/17 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cloud seems to be Thibault's project, so I think she stays.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/17 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never realized Cloud was with Maryland a year.

Quote:
Frese on Cloud: "Natasha is a very athletic and unselfish player who will do whatever her team needs to help us win. She's a strong defensive player, who can play either guard spot and is a terrific passer. Natasha has a ton of personality, is a good student and fits right in with our team."

As a Freshman (2010-11): Saw action in 31 of 32 games and started in games four thru nine... led the team in assists twice and in blocks three times... scored in 21 games... saw career-high 30 minutes at No. 13 Georgetown (Nov. 16)... made first career start against American and dished career-high seven assists (Nov. 21)... scored career-high eight points against UMass at ECU's Tournament (Nov. 27)...tied her career-high eight points on 6-for-8 shooting at the line against Appalachian State (Dec. 5)... nabbed a career-high five steals and went 6-for-8 from the line against Longwood (Jan. 30)... went 3-for-4 at the line at No. 20 Miami (Feb. 10)... hit a three that helped spark a 30-9 Maryland run late in the second half vs. No. 7 Duke (Feb. 17)...named a Scholar Athlete at the team's annual banquet.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/09/17 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Ruffin-Pratt(defense)/Latta(three point)/#27
Delle Donne/Malott/#18
Meesseman/Hawkins/Taylor
Thomas/Sanders/BJones(if available)

Technically, Ruffin-Pratt is a 5'10 guard, so she can be used as a guard and doesn't need to be a starter

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Latta/#18/#27
Ruffin-Pratt/Malott
Delle Donne/Sanders/Hawkins/Taylor
Meesseman/Thomas/BJones(if available)

Expendable

BIG problem playing TRP as a guard: she can't shoot and playing her at PG in this league is suicide. Cloud is marginal as PG. Playing Toliver at PG, you lose a chunk of her scoring, while scoring from outside is her strength. Latta is closing in on retirement quickly and you can't play Toliver and Latta together - unless you want opposing guards to go off in a BIG way.

Here's the deal: the Mystics have the shrimpiest backcourt in the league. Cloud's value is she's the least shrimpy and is halfway decent at PG. You simply can't compete AT ALL with this many deficits in the backcourt.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You went from Cloud being marginal to halfway decent in the same post.

I'm sure Toliver was made some promises to lure her over including being a starter. Pencil her in as a starter.

I can't see Thibault disrespecting Hill. Pencil her in as a starter.

If TRP can't shoot, it's time to bring her off the bench. Does it matter where you slot her? Nobody claimed she could be a point guard. You already have enough people who can play PG: Toliver, Cloud, Latta.... even Hill in a pinch

Why over reach for Allen?
*Wasn't invited to the draft
*Player not invited to the draft could conceivably be available at #18
*If not Allen then numerous fifth guard worthy options may be available at #18:
Peterson(not invited), Jankoska, Romero, Epps, Sykes, Chong, Fitzgerald, Spencer, Hall, Simms

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/17 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know Allen is local from Mitchellville, MD but I probably would go with Epps in the 2nd round over Allen if I were Mike Thibault

toad455

PostPosted: 04/09/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allen is only worth a 3rd round pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/17 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Allen is only worth a 3rd round pick.

She'll go in the second

PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Mike Thibault think he can get value from the #6 pick by moving back would the Sun be interested in trading the #8 and #13 for the Mystics #6 and #18 picks ?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/09/17 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You went from Cloud being marginal to halfway decent in the same post.

I'm sure Toliver was made some promises to lure her over including being a starter. Pencil her in as a starter.

I can't see Thibault disrespecting Hill. Pencil her in as a starter.

If TRP can't shoot, it's time to bring her off the bench. Does it matter where you slot her? Nobody claimed she could be a point guard. You already have enough people who can play PG: Toliver, Cloud, Latta.... even Hill in a pinch

Why over reach for Allen?
*Wasn't invited to the draft
*Player not invited to the draft could conceivably be available at #18
*If not Allen then numerous fifth guard worthy options may be available at #18:
Peterson(not invited), Jankoska, Romero, Epps, Sykes, Chong, Fitzgerald, Spencer, Hall, Simms

IMHO, there's not a lot of difference between "marginal" and "halfway decent." I don't like to repeat myself.

I completely agree that there needs to be improvement at the SF position. TRP was great for a rebuilding team, doing whatever the coach asked her to do. I just think the need is so much greater in the backcourt that the team needs to find the best guard available, through the draft or trade. PG is by FAR the greatest position of need. I'm not wedded to Allen and would prefer a taller PG. But really, this newly reconstituted team needs to have someone who can get the ball to EDD & Meeseman and not turn it over. Being able to guard the opposing guard would also be nice. KTO's defense has improved immensely since college, but she'll never grow.

~rAf
RP

PostPosted: 04/09/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver will likely play the bulk of her minutes at point unless Cloud has improved substantially, but that is just fine. Look at L.A.'s numbers with her on/off the court.

Regular season: +17.8 with Toliver on the court (-4.3 with Gray)
Playoffs: +17.7 with Toliver on the court (-11.4 with Gray)

A healthy Latta is a rotation player on any team in the league. Sydney Wiese would make sense as a bigger perimeter player who can handle the ball and shoot, but a small guard would probably have no shot at cracking the rotation on this team.

Toliver/Cloud
Hill/Latta
Ruffin-Pratt/Wiese
Delle Donne/Hawkins
Meesseman/Sanders/Thomas

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/17 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I wonder if Mike Thibault think he can get value from the #6 pick by moving back would the Sun be interested in trading the #8 and #13 for the Mystics #6 and #18 picks ?

Now you don't want BJones? That looks like a move you'd make if you wanted to load up on guards

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/17 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Now you don't want BJones? That looks like a move you'd make if you wanted to load up on guards

I was thinking if the player Thibault wants isn't available at #6 they could move back to #8 pick select McCall and with the #13 pick select a guard or another frontcourt player.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/10/17 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance the acquisition of EDD means the Mystics will stay at Verizon Center after 2017? If the demand for tickets is there? Are they locked into moving?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 8 of 20

Jump to: