Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/08/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
And, by the way, I've followed the Styx since Trudi Lacey picked a Miller twin over Catchings as GM of the Charlotte Sting

That was Anne Donovan. Lacey took over the Sting in 2003.

In any case, the Sting were the closest team - 2-1/2 hrs away - so that was my team initially. Not after that pick. Right up there with the worst picks ever.

~rAf
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/08/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's my last mock. Kinda safe I guess. I think SA is content with the post rotation they have and goes with two guards. The question is who'll be available at #5? Could VJ be the coach to get the most out of K. Davis? Washington is a question mark to me too. I think Coach T wants a guard but I could see him going with Coffey, Wiese or someone out of the blue lol.

1. SA- Plum
2. Chi- Gray
3. Dal- SWK
4. Dal- Coates
5. SA- Davis
6. WAS-  A. Jones (her knees are a question for me. I think WAS wants a guard but I'm sure Coach T will shake up the draft.)
7. ATL- Coffey
8. CONN- B. Jones
9. CHI- Wiese
10. DAL- McCall
11. LA- Prince
12. Minn- Peterson

PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to be critical of that Top 5
#6: I think you have the wrong Basketball Jones. BJones is a true local and fits a need. Guards are plentiful in this draft and free agency
#8: Back-flipping Miller. He'd be getting Kizer and BJones for Little Shocked
#10: Everybody seems to be drinking the McCall Kool-aid for Dallas
#11: This is your team. Another one joining the Prince bandwagon
#12: Unless this is Jim Peterson, no thank you. First pick should be a big

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/09/17 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I highly doubt the Mystics will select a Guard in the 1st rd of the draft this year or any player who played for a school located in Texas. I don't remember the Mystics ever drafting someone who played at a University or College located in Texas.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I highly doubt the Mystics will select a Guard in the 1st rd of the draft this year or any player who played for a school located in Texas. I don't remember the Mystics ever drafting someone who played at a University or College located in Texas.

The Mystics drafted Bernice Mosby out of Baylor in the 1st round of the 2007 draft and Angela Jackson from the University of Texas in the 4th round of the 1998 draft.

PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

The Mystics drafted Bernice Mosby out of Baylor in the 1st round of the 2007 draft and Angela Jackson from the University of Texas in the 4th round of the 1998 draft.

Well, I said I couldn't remember. Also, I'm doubling down that Mike Thibault won!t draft Alexis Jones in the 1st round.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/08/17 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago/San antonio should ponder making a draft day trade...Dolson for the #5 pick & Alexander....Desouza being a veteran and mentor for Dos Santos should not be a deterrent for improving the center positon.Desouza has no real future in san antonio.Dos santos is a backup at best.San Antonio will most likely get a top 3 pick in 2018.So they'll be able to draft a sf/pf(Wilson,Williams,Deshields,Stevens).Chicago gets a good backup center and the best available player at #5.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Riley seems to like Alexander

zune69

PostPosted: 04/08/17 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Riley seems to like Alexander

It was just a suggestion....Asset management will be very important for san antonio over the next 1-3 years.You don't want to get caught in a situation where you're drafting players at the same position 2 or 3 years in a row.Too many duplicates can destroy the balance of a roster.Leading to players playing out of position, poor floor spacing on offense,and poor defense.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/09/17 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

6: I think you have the Basketball Jones. BJones is a true local and fits a need. Guards are plentiful in this draft and free agency.

I almost had Washington selecting B. Jones @ #6 but then I looked at their guard situation, Latta, Toliver, Hill and Cloud. I would think Coach T would look to add to his guard depth. I could see Washington selecting Coffey, but I'm just not on the B. Jones wagon. She rebounds and runs the floor well but I question her offense and footwork. Most of her points come from put backs and pick & rolls. Will she be able to score at the next level? She won't be able to use her body to overpower her defender like she did in college.

Shades wrote:

10: Everybody seems to be drinking the McCall Kool-aid for Dallas

If McCall is still available at #10 why not? I think she'd be an upgrade for Dallas' bench, unless she's already taken.

Shades wrote:

This is your team. Another one joining the Prince bandwagon

I wouldn't say bandwagon. I think LA could use help at the SF position and 3pt shooting. Is Prince the best available? IDK. Honestly I don't expect #11 to make the team.

Shades wrote:

#12: Unless this is Jim Peterson, no thank you. First pick should be a big

Minnesota could use a F/C, but I'm not sold on Osahor. Maybe a trade? Whalen isn't getting any younger. I think Peterson would be a good fit, she is a capable facilitator and could learn behind Whalen for a few seasons. Like Patty Mills and Tony Parker lol.

PostPosted: 04/09/17 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Chicago/San antonio should ponder making a draft day trade...Dolson for the #5 pick & Alexander....Desouza being a veteran and mentor for Dos Santos should not be a deterrent for improving the center positon.Desouza has no real future in san antonio.Dos santos is a backup at best.San Antonio will most likely get a top 3 pick in 2018.So they'll be able to draft a sf/pf(Wilson,Williams,Deshields,Stevens).Chicago gets a good backup center and the best available player at #5.

I could see both teams making this trade, but I think SA is content with their post rotation of DeSouza, Alexander, Harrison, Dos Santos and Hamby, and Chicago will give Dolson a go at the 4 position. Maybe SA shouldn't be content, but I think they'll add Plum and one of SWK/Davis/Gray. (I think Gray will go second though). Who does Chicago pick at #9? So many questions. I expect a trade or two in the first round. Does anyone know the rules? Are trades announced after the draft?

CHI
Vandersloot/Faulkner
Pondexter/Quigley
Young/Gray/Copper/[Laney]
Dolson/Breland/[Parker]/[Harris]
Boyette/[Ndour]

SA
Jefferson/Plum
McBride/[SWK/Davis]
Currie/Peters/[Montgomery]/[Hodges]
Harrison/Dos Santos/Hamby
Alexander/DeSouza/[Baugh]

PostPosted: 04/09/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday (4/8/17), I heard on SXM NBA Radio Antonio Davis say that because of the weak WNBA Draft this year he advised his daughter Kaela to leave South Carolina and enter the draft.

RP

PostPosted: 04/09/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I was unaware that .530 was in "the mid-60s". If you take out the two games against overmatched mid-majors, she falls back into the 40s. Again compare Alexis Prince, who had a TS% in the mid-50s for the season (much better than Davis) and .532 in the tournament (slightly better than Davis).

On the subject of shooting...

Career TS%

Davis .484
DeShields .496

Single-Season High TS%
Davis .513, 2013-2014
DeShields .516, 2016-2017

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/17 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
pilight wrote:
I was unaware that .530 was in "the mid-60s". If you take out the two games against overmatched mid-majors, she falls back into the 40s. Again compare Alexis Prince, who had a TS% in the mid-50s for the season (much better than Davis) and .532 in the tournament (slightly better than Davis).

On the subject of shooting...

Career TS%

Davis .484
DeShields .496

Single-Season High TS%
Davis .513, 2013-2014
DeShields .516, 2016-2017

A TS% in the 40's is not good. Katie Frerking from Auburn, who's about the same size as Davis and plays the same position, had a better TS%. Karlie Samuelson, who is only slightly smaller, had a .675 TS%.

Davis was under 40% on 2Pers. That's generally a bad sign for your future as a basketball player.

PostPosted: 04/09/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: There is absolutely no reason to draft a player because she has some connection to the area. It has no impact on attendance or coverage beyond the first game and first story.

The only reason to draft a player is to help a team win, because the only proven way to increase attendance is winning.

The classic example is Stephanie White, one of the most popular players ever in Indiana, who was drafted by the Fever. She was a marginal pro and had no effect on attendance or interest. Tamika Catchings, on the other hand, with minimal connection to Indiana, clearly helped the team's attendance and profile.

Finally, it's especially tenuous to think that a player's high school location will generate any ticket sales in the WNBA. Attendance at girls' high school basketball games is dismal, and even if every person who went to a player's high school games bought WNBA tickets, it would be completely irrelevant to the bottom line.

PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best mock draft I've seen:

https://www.fanragsports.com/womens/2017-wnba-mock-draft/

...this Nemchock kid has tremendous upside potential! Wink

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

I must admit the best two round 2017 WNBA Mock Draft I've seen thus far. The only strong disagreement I have with this mock is McCall lasting until the 16th selection. I doubt the WNBA will invite McCall to the draft having her sit to the 16th selection when she is 1 of 10 invitees.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/09/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

At San Antonio selecting.Wiese 5th Shocked

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/09/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
stever wrote:

I don't think it can be ignored that the San Antonio Stars have been loading up on Post Players this off-season, so maybe they aren't going to select a Post Player in the 1st round of this draft.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/09/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
zune69 wrote:
stever wrote:

I don't think it can be ignored that the San Antonio Stars have been loading up on Post Players this off-season, so maybe they aren't going to select a Post Player in the 1st round of this draft.

Dos Santos.Alexander and Baugh are all backups.Desouza will be a non factor three years from now.San Antonio should take the best available player at #5.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/09/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
zune69 wrote:
stever wrote:

Dos Santos.Alexander and Baugh are all backups.Desouza will be a non factor three years from now.San Antonio should take the best available player at #5.

Love the mock, but have to think San Antonio will take SWK or Brionna Jones at #5. If they want a guard SWK is ahead of Wiese defensively and I see her having a longer career in the WNBA.

Jones is a bigger question mark, for reasons others have outlined here before, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take her there either.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 04/09/17 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
zune69 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
zune69 wrote:
stever wrote:

Love the mock, but have to think San Antonio will take SWK or Brionna Jones at #5. If they want a guard SWK is ahead of Wiese defensively and I see her having a longer career in the WNBA.

Jones is a bigger question mark, for reasons others have outlined here before, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take her there either.

Seems to me there's no need or reason to take a post that isn't considerably better than the ones you have. Jones doesn't make sense, especially after they brought in so many posts. But, if one thinks Jones is a starter Laughing SWK is a possibility imo. But, she too, has limitations just like everyone in the class.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/10/17 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Freeland, MSU star Tori Jankoska anxious to make WNBA history

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2017/04/former_freeland_msu_star_tori.html

Quote:
On Thursday night, Jankoska is expected to become the first Saginaw County basketball player taken in the WNBA Draft.

Quote:
"I think we're looking probably late first, early second round for her," ESPN analyst Rebecca Lobo said. "Teams are always looking for a tough player who can shoot the basketball, and Tori definitely fits that bill. You know, she's a hard worker who has gotten better very year in college. Teams are always looking for that type of player who can stretch the defense coming in off the bench and providing some toughness and scoring. Her game will immediately provide that."

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/10/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

Good draft, but I think Davis will be taken #2 by the sky
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/10/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
stever wrote:

Good draft, but I think Davis will be taken #2 by the sky

That wouldnt be such a bad idea. I would say she could be mentor'ed by the likes of Cappie , but then i think about it and that would be a TERRIBLE idea Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 66 of 73

Jump to: