RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sources: Arkansas close to hiring Mike Neighbors WBB coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.

You are not wrong, coaches salaries in college athletics keep going up and then they keep saying there's not enough money to pay the players but then schools like UCF can build lazy river's and all this stuff to attract athletes. I'm just wondering if that could be a cause for some of them leaving.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Caldwell, McGuff and now Neighbors got their salaries doubled.

But that assumes UW wouldn't have matched it.

Coaches get huge raises all the time by telling the AD "X school is offering me $$$$. I'd love to stay here but I owe it to my family to take the money unless you can match it/ beat it." I've never heard of Washington losing out on a coach they wanted over money.

If they were actually getting offered double what they were making to leave, they probably could have made double to stay too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.

They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.

Hmmmm.

Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....
That one's pretty easy if you've been to both.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/03/17 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doubling his pay is one thing but to get $1 million in buy out money is also very attractive so maybe that played a role in why maybe they didn't match.

And really I think doubling his salary is for Plum and Co. doing so well but is there any track record to show he will continue to bring in the type of talent at Washington needed to win big? Like I said the current roster and future recruiting is not at the same level as it was under McGuff. So to double his pay for probably upcoming seasons that will not be at the Sweet 16/Final 4 level maybe isn't worth it to a new AD who didn't hire Neighbors so likely isn't as attached. AD's seem to love to make their own hires when possible

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Does any other league have multiple head coaches taking lateral jobs? Nikki Caldwell (Fargas) from UCLA to LSU, Joanne Boyle from Cal to Virginia, Kevin McGuff from Washington to Ohio State, Mike Neighbors from Washington to Arkansas.

They all went back to a place they knew or an area they were from. But all that said, I really don't consider Washington to Ohio State a lateral move. Ohio State, with their resources, facilities, recruiting base, etc would be considered by me to be one of the best jobs in the nation.

Hmmmm.

Seattle or Columbus. Seattle.......Columbus.........Seattle........Columbus.....

I certainly wasn't comparing the 2 cities (yes, been to both on more than one occasion each). But, in terms of finances, facilities, recruiting base, TV, and just about any other thing that really matters to building a national championship caliber program, Ohio State has it and is among the best jobs out there.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I guess Art doesn't think most things in life are based on subjectivity and opinions.

Who cares.

Let the speculation about the next Washington coach begin, whom we are told will please people (but which is also subject to personal opinion and subjectivity). I'll guess:

-- Niele Ivey
-- Beth Cunningham
-- Morgan Valley
-- Tyler Summitt
-- Giuliana Mendiola
-- Jenny Boucek

They can't have Niele or Beth. Wink

Why would they want Tyler? Only thing he's done is show he's not to be trusted.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand the deep South or even the mid Atlantic in Summer. Way too hot and humid! If you live there as a kid though, I think it feels like what is natural. Then there's all those people who absolutely love Florida, and I can't figure out why since it's too hot and too humid for me for about 10 months out of the year! Going to visit in December or January is ok.

So anyway...to each their own.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
What is it about this job that has resulted in two straight good coaches bailing out in just a few years....

....and what does their orientation have to do with anything??? Shocked Razz

KIDDINGGGG!

This *possibility* was mentioned earlier, and I thought the same thing...."Seattle/Fayetteville"??? Really? But then....I saw the 'thing' where Mike and Vic were hugging at their last matchup, and how it was all a big reunion. I didn't realize Mike was a Good Ol' Boy. So it's a bit of a homecoming for him. God bless him. And WA will no doubt draw a competent, competitive coach, moreso now than ever with their heightened profile of the past couple years, no?

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control.

I agree the salaries are outrageous (but for more sports than just WBB). And it is all ultimately wasted money. If the colleges all put a cap on coaches salaries at 200K, then they'd still have virtually the same people coaching (maybe a few could find a gig better than 200K) and the ultimate results would be the same. Well, the results would be the same as far as 50% of the teams winning and 50% losing each game even if they paid them minimum wage, but there could be a difference in the product put out, though not necessarily. Plenty of people put a lot of effort into volunteer coaching at the local level and have talent.

TDAO

PostPosted: 04/03/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to interrupt the weather talk but I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that Neighbors' kids are in Arkansas, including his daughter attending the school: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arkansas/articles/2017-04-03/ap-source-mike-neighbors-hired-as-arkansas-womens-coach

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/glory_posts/the-dream-job/#sm.0000gtelyno3rd4az531lv7hj0rgf

It's official.

Good job Arkansas. Yes, there were many built in factors that helped Arkansas lure him back as HC from Washington, but there are a million ways to screw these hires up as well.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
If the Pac is the lowest in the P5, good for them. These wbb salaries are totally out of control. As I posted, womens basketball at LSU lost 4 million dollars last season. In 2010, Cal tried to cut five sports because of their fiscal problems. UW is apparently several million dollars in the red.

They are high, but to be honest, Title IX has a hand in that as well. LSU, Ohio State and Arkansas aren't in the red thanks to football.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand the deep South or even the mid Atlantic in Summer. Way too hot and humid! If you live there as a kid though, I think it feels like what is natural. Then there's all those people who absolutely love Florida, and I can't figure out why since it's too hot and too humid for me for about 10 months out of the year! Going to visit in December or January is ok.

So anyway...to each their own.

That is a good perspective. In contrast, when I lived in Chicago, the idea of my face being chapped from the cold made me miserable. There were always 2 or 3 good months out of the year though. LOL

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/07/17 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm bummed that Coach Neighbors left the UW, as the strength of the program during his tenure certainly made the Pac-12 a stronger conference. That said, it's hard not to fault the Washington AD for failing to, I dunno, triple the guy's salary or whatever it would've taken to keep him. The UCLA AD faced a similar dilemma 5 years ago with Nikki Caldwell and that ended up working out okay for the Bruins, imo. Here's hoping things go similarly for the UW.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/07/17 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
I'm bummed that Coach Neighbors left the UW, as the strength of the program during his tenure certainly made the Pac-12 a stronger conference. That said, it's hard not to fault the Washington AD for failing to, I dunno, triple the guy's salary or whatever it would've taken to keep him. The UCLA AD faced a similar dilemma 5 years ago with Nikki Caldwell and that ended up working out okay for the Bruins, imo. Here's hoping things go similarly for the UW.

Yes, Coach Neighbors' departure is a blow to the whole conference. Not just for how he changed UW, but he also led the transformation that turned the Pac-12 into the top RPI conference for the past few seasons. He will be missed, but this move is about way more than just money for him (though reportedly there is a lot of money awaiting him there). Arkansas is, and always has been, his dream job. He has been abundantly clear about that, pretty much throughout his entire tenure here.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's hope Washington's next hire thinks Washington is their dream job.

(now with spelling variations)
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Let's hope Washington's next hire thinks Washington is their dream job.

Too bad Adia Barnes went to Arizona last year.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/17 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One article postulates these 5 as the top contenders for the Washington job:
Morgan Valley, Assistant Coach, Washington University
Johnnie Harris, Associate Head Coach, Mississippi State University
Kate Paye, Associate Head Coach, Stanford University
Lisa Boyer Associate Head Coach, South Carolina
Marisa Moseley, Assistant Coach, University of Connecticut

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?

PostPosted: 04/08/17 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Husky Haul can be relied on for accurate news at about the same frequency as Fox News....particularly regarding WBB coaching at UW.

Unlike Fox News, their hearts in the right place however.

John Wooden
tfan

PostPosted: 04/09/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Which is not to say that any of them, except maybe Paye, have actually been contacted or interviewed--I don't know that. And considering that she's also a top contender for the USC job, they may not have too much of a prayer with her unless they offer her a lot more money and a whole lotta perks.

What say you all?

Why do you think Paye would want the USC job more than the Washington job?

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/09/17 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What say you all?

I don't know which one she wants but a reason why one may want the USC job over Washington is the recruiting region. USC is right in LA, which is home to a lot of D1 players. Easy for USC coaches to watch kids play, easy for kids to take visits to USC. Washington requires a lot more travel up and down the west coast than SC IMO and Washington is harder for prospects to get to. Who are the best players from Seattle right now in college basketball? Plum is from CA, Osahor AZ. Just honestly not sure. Seattle produces more good men's basketball players than women's unless I am just blanking out on the good ones right now.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/09/17 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But you have to be able to recruit the region. Last season, after the Final Four, look at the Top 100 players in close range to UW that Neighbors didn't sign. Westbrook, Corosdale, Goodman, Aaron, Townsend, Williams. Instead, he signs one player from MO and the other from Ca, neither of whom are ranked.

Before that, he signed a class of four, all from California, only McDonald ranked. He lost out on both Pivec and Wilson are from Seattle but Wilson to Stanford is understandable. The year before, he landed Strother who was the top Washington state recruit but no one else.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What say you all?

I didn't say that. It was merely a guess. And the guess is that USC may offer a larger salary and more perks, although I don't know that for a fact. Also she may be more familiar with the area, having been in California for a good while.

PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
But you have to be able to recruit the region. Last season, after the Final Four, look at the Top 100 players in close range to UW that Neighbors didn't sign. Westbrook, Corosdale, Goodman, Aaron, Townsend, Williams. Instead, he signs one player from MO and the other from Ca, neither of whom are ranked.

Before that, he signed a class of four, all from California, only McDonald ranked. He lost out on both Pivec and Wilson are from Seattle but Wilson to Stanford is understandable. The year before, he landed Strother who was the top Washington state recruit but no one else.

Agreed, the next coaching staff needs to have someone who can recruit locally. I wouldn't consider Wilson a "local" recruit, though. She lived in the Seattle area for just one year, and she didn't move here until after she had committed to Stanford.

One thing Daugherty did well while at UW was recruit locally.

I haven't looked closely at the rosters in the past few years, but traditionally Pac-10 women's basketball rosters had more players from Washington than any other state besides California. Jackson destroyed a lot of the relationships between UW and the local club teams. Neighbors (/McGuff) was able to get Collier and Corral (neither of whom would have come if Jackson were still the coach), and then Strother and Kingma. Considering all the locals we've missed out on, staying competitive in the conference will require re-establishing the local recruiting base.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/09/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Say what you will about Jackson, as it is probably all true, but she recruited Talia Walton, who proved irreplaceable on the team.

With contenders dropping out right and left, UW might have to hire Valley. Or maybe she was considered the chosen one from the start. What a letdown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: