RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/17 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bleacher Report Mock Draft
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702178-2017-wnba-mock-draft-analyzing-elite-prospects-and-hidden-gems

There's a lot of analysis at the link.

Quote:
The Chicago Sky need help in the backcourt, so Shatori Walker-Kimbrough is a logical target.

"She's hungry, and she wants to be great at as many things as she can be great at," her head coach at Maryland, Brenda Frese, told Mechelle Voepel of ESPNW.com. "You can be really direct with her, and she's always up for the challenge."

Quote:
Dallas Wings could use a rim-protector and an off-guard, so the South Carolina pair of Alaina Coates and Allisha Gray would help fill out the roster.

Quote:
And then there is the No. 6 pick for the Washington Mystics. The team will have the opportunity to select one of the more unique players in this year's draft: Chantel Osahor, Washington's sidekick for Plum this past season.

She led the nation with 15.3 rebounds per game, supplementing that with 15.7 points per contest. She rocketed up draft boards this season, and her unique ability to dominate on the boards and drain shots from beyond the arc make her one of the most intriguing players in this year's draft.

Quote:
In the wrong system, Osahor could be a bust. In Washington, she can come off the bench behind Elena Delle Donne and Emma Meesseman, also excellent perimeter shooters from their frontcourt positions. She may not have as big of a role as some of her fellow rookies next season, but she should immediately be a valuable option coming off the bench.

Sounds like I wrote this article.

The thing that bothers me the most about this mock.... no Kaela Davis in first round? Huh? Shocked Kinda hurts credibility

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 04/07/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bleacher report is just trolling at this point...

Quote:
Dallas Wings could use a rim-protector and an off-guard, so the South Carolina pair of Alaina Coates and Allisha Gray would help fill out the roster

...but has Dallas taking 3 centers in the 1st rd.

Osahor going 6th is too high and not the best fit for washington.EDD,Meeseman,Latta,Osahor etc....would be a terrible defensive basketball team

S.Wiese going 8th

Sparks selecting Peterson when they already have Sims.Gray & williams.

And no Davis in the 1st rd

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/07/17 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Bleacher report is just trolling at this point...

Quote:
Dallas Wings could use a rim-protector and an off-guard, so the South Carolina pair of Alaina Coates and Allisha Gray would help fill out the roster

...but has Dallas taking 3 centers in the 1st rd.

Osahor going 6th is too high and not the best fit for washington.EDD,Meeseman,Latta,Osahor etc....would be a terrible defensive basketball team

S.Wiese going 8th

Sparks selecting Peterson when they already have Sims.Gray & williams.

And no Davis in the 1st rd

Yeah i kind of giggled when i saw this , Bleacher report losing its credibility . I never paid it any mind til swin mentioned it on twitter a few weeks ago.

PostPosted: 04/07/17 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole Osahor to Mystics thing keeps coming back like a bad penny, I suspect all from one source, much like Megdal(or was it Shades) first championed the Osahor to Lynx idea which gained some traction for a while. Especially odd considering her last game (against a player with an WNBA body, if not anywhere near WNBA in skills) was not confidence inspiring. And she wasn't invited to the party. I'm just not buying it.

stever

PostPosted: 04/07/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...a baker's dozen, of sorts, from Newsday, of all places:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/women-s-sports/wnba-mock-draft-2017-1.13377624

(Peterson to Sky @ #2?)

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is their rationale for Peterson at #2

Quote:
The Sky traded franchise star and leading scorer Elena Delle Donne to the Mystics in the offseason. Peterson arguably is the second best offensive player in the draft after averaging 23.4 points per game as a senior.

Pretty elementary stuff. Never mind that they already have two PG's that they're probably happy with (new coach so you never know). She's kinda short for playing off the ball, but you could point to Latta. But #2 seems high for both Latta or Peterson.

Last edited by Shades on 04/07/17 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/07/17 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
...a baker's dozen, of sorts, from Newsday, of all places:
http://www.newsday.com/sports/women-s-sports/wnba-mock-draft-2017-1.13377624

(Peterson to Sky @ #2?)

They have Wiese going 6th,B.Jones going #3,and Osahor going 10th to Dallas.Says Osahor will likely be a power forward in the wnba.

Paris,B,Jones and Osahor all on the same team

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

I did mention the offer probably would be extended to three teams which include the Chicago Sky. The Mystics could trade the #6 pick Plus 2 of three or all three (Cloud, Malott and/or Ruffin-Pratt) for the #2 pick.

If it's that easy to trade for the #2, why didn't SEA trade for the #2 when it looked like Plum could go #2? Bird and SEA faithful love Plum. Instead they traded #6 for a head-scratching Swords.

Well, the situation has changed, DeShields and Mitchell didn't enter the draft, the Sky aren't looking for a post player at the #2 pick, the Sky likely can draft the same or similar player at #6 plus get a player or players from the Mystics. The Sky's GM/Coach Amber Stocks is already familiar with whom she might can get from the Mystics since she did make a deal two months ago with Thibault.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina players could provide much-needed help for Wings

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/19100669/south-carolina-gamecocks-alaina-coates-allisha-gray-kaela-davis-provide-much-needed-help-dallas-wings

A Voepel production

Quote:
"It's fair to say we're definitely evaluating all of them," Wings coach Fred Williams said of the South Carolina prospects. "Everybody knows we need a stretch 5 player who can be mobile, rebound and run the floor. That is something we're going to look for strongly."

Need a stretch 5? Then why'd they give up Zahui?

Quote:
That's why Coates appears a good choice for Dallas. At 6-foot-4, with a big body and rebounding ability, she shot 67 percent this season from the floor, and 62 percent for her college career. It's unknown when Coates, who averaged 12.9 points and 10.7 rebounds in 28 games as a senior, will be ready to play. But that likely won't affect her draft status that much.

Thank you, Dr Voepel

Quote:
"We're looking at players who are really pro-ready to come in and really help us right away," Williams said.

I'd say Davis is a little more pro-ready because of her size and her long bomb three. But I think she needs a boost of confidence, and I'm not sure Dallas is the best place for that, sorry to say.

Quote:
It's a gamble to give up Sims for the uncertainty of what Dallas may get at No. 4, but Wings general manager Greg Bibb said there was a need to "change the dynamic with our roster."

Sounds like someone who didn't want to give a detailed answer to why they traded Sims.

Quote:
The organization still holds [Cambage's] WNBA rights, and Williams said he believes someday she will play in the league again. But nobody is holding their breath.

Quote:
Powers underwent hip surgery in November, though, and is still getting back to full strength and mobility.

Quote:
"I think the identity we want is being relentless," Williams said. "The defensive side of things is going to have to kick in this year. There's good chemistry with the players we have right now, and I think that will continue to help us grow."

Nice article. Answered a few questions about the team.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the comment about Cambage. Sounds like he'd be happy if she showed up for a few games in 2019.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"It's fair to say we're definitely evaluating all of them," Wings coach Fred Williams said of the South Carolina prospects. "Everybody knows we need a stretch 5 player who can be mobile, rebound and run the floor. That is something we're going to look for strongly

Sounds more like McCall than Coates.I've never seen Coates hit a shot outside of 12 feet.

Or maybe a trade for Dolson ?....Christmas or #4 for Dolson

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuJtu7vgnYc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Quote:
"It's fair to say we're definitely evaluating all of them," Wings coach Fred Williams said of the South Carolina prospects. "Everybody knows we need a stretch 5 player who can be mobile, rebound and run the floor. That is something we're going to look for strongly

Sounds more like McCall than Coates.I've never seen Coates hit a shot outside of 12 feet.

McCall going #4 over Coates is laughable.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
zune69

PostPosted: 04/07/17 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Quote:

McCall going #4 over Coates is laughable.

Never said McCall will go 4th.If you look at my earlier post,I have dallas selecting McCall with the #10 pick.I was just pointing out that coach Williams' player description sounds more like McCall than Coates.

zune69 wrote:
I'm starting to believe Dallas will take McCall at #10,and I wouldn't be upset.McCall is very active and mobile for her size.She plays with great enthusiasm,and has the ability to be a combo pf/c.

#3-Davis/Gray/Jones
#4-Coates
#10-McCall

See.....Coates 4th,and McCall 10#

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/07/17 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
I believe the Mystics are willing to trade up or down from #6.

How much further can they go up ? they traded away #2 ? So that means either Dealing with Dallas or SAN for Picks 3-5 ? But for whom might they have on the block for discussion Guru ???? Question

Don't get me wrong. I believe it will be easier to move down and maybe draft McCall then move up and draft either Brionna Jones or Coates but if the Mystics were to move up the player(s) will probably come out the pool of Cloud, Ruffin-Pratt and/or Malott Plus the #6 pick, this offer would be extended to all three teams holding selections 2 thru 5.

This is nowhere close to how most Mystics fans are thinking about this draft. With only FOUR guards on the roster, it's crystal clear to (almost) everyone that the Styx need to pick up a quality guard. If they move DOWN in the draft, it will to get a veteran GUARD. Neither Cloud nor Ruffin-Pratt are going anywhere until/unless some other guards/wings on board that bring the defense and glue of those two.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 04/07/17 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

How much further can they go up ? they traded away #2 ? So that means either Dealing with Dallas or SAN for Picks 3-5 ? But for whom might they have on the block for discussion Guru ???? Question

Don't get me wrong. I believe it will be easier to move down and maybe draft McCall then move up and draft either Brionna Jones or Coates but if the Mystics were to move up the player(s) will probably come out the pool of Cloud, Ruffin-Pratt and/or Malott Plus the #6 pick, this offer would be extended to all three teams holding selections 2 thru 5.

This is nowhere close to how most Mystics fans are thinking about this draft. With only FOUR guards on the roster, it's crystal clear to (almost) everyone that the Styx need to pick up a quality guard. If they move DOWN in the draft, it will to get a veteran GUARD. Neither Cloud nor Ruffin-Pratt are going anywhere until/unless some other guards/wings on board that bring the defense and glue of those two.

Original STH and longtime Mystics fan before you came over with Alana Beard so please don't come with that stuff about you knowing how most Mystics fans feel.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/07/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Quote:
"It's fair to say we're definitely evaluating all of them," Wings coach Fred Williams said of the South Carolina prospects. "Everybody knows we need a stretch 5 player who can be mobile, rebound and run the floor. That is something we're going to look for strongly."

Because she's not actually a stretch 5?

And there are no such players in this draft, unless they want to pick Osahor and have the worst center tandem in the league at defending ball screens. Plaisance is more of a stretch 5 than anyone in this class, except she's not really good at anything else so that's a problem.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/07/17 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

And there are no such players in this draft, unless they want to pick Osahor and have the worst center tandem in the league at defending ball screens. Plaisance is more of a stretch 5 than anyone in this class, except she's not really good at anything else so that's a problem.

In his dreams. How many 5's do you know that meet that criteria? Laughing If he said 4, it would be more understandable. This is just a pipe dream.

- Amanda Gorman
stever

PostPosted: 04/07/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley Morrissette, anyone?

https://spark.adobe.com/page/lx6WKLpw1GYBg/

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an article that forgot about Alexis Jones

Two Lady Bears, possible WNBA draft picks

http://www.mycentx.com/news/local/two-lady-bears-possible-wnba-draft-picks/688815116

Quote:
"My favorite team was always L.A. Sparks growing up but they are pretty loaded, and they are the champs, so I know they probably don't need me but umm, it's just my dream team. As far as overseas I'm still on the fence about it," said Nina Davis.

She could be available at #11

Quote:
"I just honestly, just whoever calls me, I'm ready to play for whoever," said Prince.

Even the Liberty? Then you truly are ready to play for anybody Wink

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

In his dreams. How many 5's do you know that meet that criteria? Laughing If he said 4, it would be more understandable. This is just a pipe dream.

I think Fred is describing both players actually. I have Dallas selecting #3 SWK/Davis, #4 Coates, #10 McCall

PostPosted: 04/08/17 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curious to see if Dallas takes two players from Maryland or two players from South Carolina among its three first-round selections. Given the short WNBA preseason and players overseas in the offseason, having two players who have built-in chemistry and familiarity with one another's game would seem to help a great deal.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/17 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Stewart will be a WNBA friend and foe for Syracuse's Brittney Sykes

http://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/index.ssf/2017/04/breanna_stewart_will_be_a_wnba_friend_and_foe_for_syracuses_brittney_sykes.html

Quote:
"[Breanna Stewart]'s already saying when I come to Seattle, whatever team I may go to, that I have to come to her condo. So it will be fun to go there,'' Sykes said earlier this week.

Quote:
It's likely that [Sykes] will hear her name called in the first round.

Quote:
They've known each other since their high school days, when Stewart was coming out of Cicero-North Syracuse and Sykes was emerging from Newark.

Quote:
Sykes said she and Stewart talk or text all the time, mostly more about the draft itself and the process of joining the league than about the actual competition ahead.

Quote:
If and when they are WNBA foes, though, Sykes is anxious to keep testing herself against the best.

Sykes at #15 isn't all that far-fetched

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/08/17 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Original STH and longtime Mystics fan before you came over with Alana Beard so please don't come with that stuff about you knowing how most Mystics fans feel.

I don't give a flying flip how long you've been a Styx fan. Not selecting the best guard available at #6 is sheer stupidity. Most Mystics fans are smart enough to see that, no matter how long they've followed the team.

And, by the way, I've followed the Styx since Trudi Lacey picked a Miller twin over Catchings as GM of the Charlotte Sting. I simply could not continue rooting for a team that was self-destructing. It was my misfortune that after she drove the Sting into oblivion, Trudi came to demolish the Mystics as well.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/17 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
And, by the way, I've followed the Styx since Trudi Lacey picked a Miller twin over Catchings as GM of the Charlotte Sting

That was Anne Donovan. Lacey took over the Sting in 2003.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 65 of 73

Jump to: