RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 Attrition, Transfer, and Injury Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ajdawg7 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
pilight wrote:
National FOY Destiny Slocum transferring from Maryland

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/4/15118796/maryland-destiny-slocum-transferring-ncaaw

Quote:
We would like to thank Destiny and her family for their contributions to Maryland this year. I truly enjoyed coaching Destiny, and her energy she brought every day. I had many long conversations with her over the season, and we spent a lot of time together. Our staff is proud of the commitment we put into Destiny’s development and all the accomplishments she achieved this season. We wish her continued success as she moves forward.

Wow! I see she's from Meridian, ID (close to Boise). Will this turn out to be a transfer closer to home? Oregon or Oregon State look to be the closest bigger programs.

She decommited from Washington University in 2015 which is also located in a contiguous state.

Washington University is in St. Louis....

She committed to the University of Washington which is in Seattle.

Laughing

PostPosted: 04/06/17 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“That’s the thing about the recruiting process, is you never really know what coaches’ true intentions are, which is why you get so many transfers,” Tim said. “We have learned throughout this whole process what new questions we need to ask, but at the same time, you really never know what a coaches’ true intentions are until you get to that program. It’s like a shot in the dark, a role of the dice. Either way, we’re just going to have to sit down, we’re going to do our due diligence.”

Actually, I think he has somewhat of a point here. SOME coaches are not truthful in the recruiting process. The really good ones are, but I've heard stories (more so from young men, but that is partly because I've known a few boys rather well who went through the process in various sports). And a lot of parents and kids get pretty overwhelmed during the process too. It's not easy.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
“That’s the thing about the recruiting process, is you never really know what coaches’ true intentions are, which is why you get so many transfers,” Tim said. “We have learned throughout this whole process what new questions we need to ask, but at the same time, you really never know what a coaches’ true intentions are until you get to that program. It’s like a shot in the dark, a role of the dice. Either way, we’re just going to have to sit down, we’re going to do our due diligence.”

Actually, I think he has somewhat of a point here. SOME coaches are not truthful in the recruiting process. The really good ones are, but I've heard stories (more so from young men, but that is partly because I've known a few boys rather well who went through the process in various sports). And a lot of parents and kids get pretty overwhelmed during the process too. It's not easy.

There are definitely some "less than honest" coaches out there. The good news is that info travels pretty fast. Some are excellent salespeople but leave a lot to be desired in other categories.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/06/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Tim McCoy, articulates what his daughter is 👀 for in the program to which she transfers.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Interesting point at the end. Seems like maybe this is a way to somehow get her sister a scholarship as well? I have no idea if her sister can play or not but I'm guessing she isn't quite at the level of Tori.

sounds like another parent controlling there kids future . Rolling Eyes

Naaaaah. She isn't demanding much. "I may be a big muscular 6'4" but I want to play wing and shoot jump shots, oh, and I want my sister on the team, and you'll have to negotiate with my daddy for my services." But I'm sure somebody will say "anything you want Tori. No problem" Rolling Eyes

Looks like McGuff must have learned his lesson with the Mitchell clan and said "never again".

Mitchell was definitely worth it. Ohio State would be nothing without her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/17 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to this article tOSU did offer a scholarship to little sis, Madison

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/high-school-sports/2016-wcia-3-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year-tori-mccoy/409266375

Quote:
The consensus Top 10 player in the country ended up signing with the Buckeyes in November, ending a long recruitment that even included her sister Madison. Ohio State offered her a scholarship as well.

It also says Geno came to visit, but never made the offer after talking with her and the parents. Gee, I wonder why.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't think its new. There's always been some players or parents who make various demands. What's new is that with social media it tends to quickly become public knowledge.

It's been going on since forever. I remember Andy Landers giving Tasha Humphrey's mother a job to entice her to play for the Bulldogs.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Probably, but there's something particularly offensive to me about telling a young woman "ok, you can get in and they're offering you a free ride to Yale and Harvard, but we won't let you take it."

I agree with that, except that the Ivy League prohibits athletics scholarships and all financial aid has to be need-based. If she really wants a free ride to Harvard, which is dependent on academics and family finances, she can forgo basketball.

purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Tim McCoy, articulates what his daughter is 👀 for in the program to which she transfers.

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/girls-basketball/2017-04-05/update-illini-not-among-mccoys-options.html

Interesting point at the end. Seems like maybe this is a way to somehow get her sister a scholarship as well? I have no idea if her sister can play or not but I'm guessing she isn't quite at the level of Tori.

Reportedly one of the reasons Tori went to Ohio State in the first place was that the coach/school agreed to her family's demand to take her sister. Now you have to wonder if McGuff reneged on that commitment, prompting the father's comments about "coaches' true intentions."

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Naaaaah. She isn't demanding much. "I may be a big muscular 6'4" but I want to play wing and shoot jump shots, oh, and I want my sister on the team, and you'll have to negotiate with my daddy for my services." But I'm sure somebody will say "anything you want Tori. No problem" Rolling Eyes

Looks like McGuff must have learned his lesson with the Mitchell clan and said "never again".

Although they would be much more of a mess without her , she really hasnt done anything for the program besides national recognition for individual awards .

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

http://www.illinoishomepage.net/sports/high-school-sports/2016-wcia-3-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year-tori-mccoy/409266375

Quote:
The consensus Top 10 player in the country ended up signing with the Buckeyes in November, ending a long recruitment that even included her sister Madison. Ohio State offered her a scholarship as well.

It also says Geno came to visit, but never made the offer after talking with her and the parents. Gee, I wonder why.

Right , He probably didnt have time for the headache parent syndrome that comes along with recruiting young ladies into college.

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Although they would be much more of a mess without her , she really hasnt done anything for the program besides national recognition for individual awards .

She also got them to two Sweet Sixteens and a Big 10 regular season title, which they wouldn't have come close to without her. I don't see how you can say she hasn't done anything for the program.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bump

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/06/17 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

She also got them to two Sweet Sixteens and a Big 10 regular season title, which they wouldn't have come close to without her. I don't see how you can say she hasn't done anything for the program.

If the benchmark for success at OSU is sweet 16 and Big 10 Titles then maybe i see why there so mediocre. Katie Smith led them to a final 4 . Jantel Lavender & Jessica Davenport won them big 10 titles so with that same level of success still being accomplished years later is great for OSU consistency wise , but you cant be considered a real contender if your expectations of success are content with just a Sweet 16 or Big 10 titles . Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if OSU didnt have so many in there history already .

PostPosted: 04/06/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Probably, but there's something particularly offensive to me about telling a young woman "ok, you can get in and they're offering you a free ride to Yale and Harvard, but we won't let you take it."

I agree with that, except that the Ivy League prohibits athletics scholarships and all financial aid has to be need-based. If she really wants a free ride to Harvard, which is dependent on academics and family finances, she can forgo basketball.

purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Reportedly one of the reasons Tori went to Ohio State in the first place was that the coach/school agreed to her family's demand to take her sister. Now you have to wonder if McGuff reneged on that commitment, prompting the father's comments about "coaches' true intentions."

You completely miss the point. She probably would never get in to Harvard or Yale except for basketball. At places like Harvard, Yale Stanford, Duke , Notre Dame, Northwestern, etc. thousands of extremely highly qualified applicants get rejected every year. The single biggest benefit of being a star athlete at those places is preferred admission. The scholarship is secondary. But I'm confident Harvard and Yale are offering a full ride regardless whether they want to pretend it's not an athletic scholarship.

I doubt if McGuff reneged on her sister's scholarship. I think the McCoys are likely just delusional about Tori playing wing as if she was 5'11".

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/06/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't think its new. There's always been some players or parents who make various demands. What's new is that with social media it tends to quickly become public knowledge.

It's been going on since forever. I remember Andy Landers giving Tasha Humphrey's mother a job to entice her to play for the Bulldogs.

...which is why Tasha Humphrey, who a few days earlier had given a verbal commitment to Duke, changed her mine.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 04/06/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

If the benchmark for success at OSU is sweet 16 and Big 10 Titles then maybe i see why there so mediocre. Katie Smith led them to a final 4 . Jantel Lavender & Jessica Davenport won them big 10 titles so with that same level of success still being accomplished years later is great for OSU consistency wise , but you cant be considered a real contender if your expectations of success are content with just a Sweet 16 or Big 10 titles . Maybe it wouldnt be so bad if OSU didnt have so many in there history already .

I didn't say they were content with it. Look at where they were before Mitchell. Would you say Jantel Lavender and Jessica Davenport didn't do anything for Ohio State either?

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/07/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paulina Hersler leaves UCLA to continue her grad school education elsewhere. Guess what? That coincidentally frees up that last scholarship so Destiny Slocum can come to Westwood if she likes. My, my......

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/07/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Boston College's leading scorer and rebounder is transferring. Mariella Fasoula from Greece. http://bcheights.com/2017/03/28/mariella-fasoula-transfer-boston-college-womens-basketball/

BC might be on the hotseat next year, its a private school so no idea on the contract length but its a tough job made even tougher when your best player leaves.

Fasoula is sort of like Shepard to me, big bodied posts, not very athletic. Shepard can shoot the three while Fasoula is crafty with her post moves. I might prefer Fasoula if I was recruiting both but it could be close.

Fasoula reportedly visiting Vandy

tfan

PostPosted: 04/07/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Paulina Hersler leaves UCLA to continue her grad school education elsewhere. Guess what? That coincidentally frees up that last scholarship so Destiny Slocum can come to Westwood if she likes. My, my......

Hersler came in with a 6'7" center from Minnesota who I guess stopped playing basketball. I remember seeing both of them sitting in street clothes on the bench their freshman year.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/07/17 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Savannah Trapp is her name and I don't think she even suited up for one game. I believe she graduated from UCLA and she also had a baby while she was here.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/07/17 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Quote:

Muffet also visited her at that same time and also did not offer her a scholarship. We can stop wondering.

PostPosted: 04/08/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noticed Slocum started following Scott Rueck on twitter, so gotta think the Beavers are in the mix.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/17 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Noticed Slocum started following Scott Rueck on twitter, so gotta think the Beavers are in the mix.

Has she followed anybody else?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/08/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Quote:

Muffet also visited her at that same time and also did not offer her a scholarship. We can stop wondering.

Reportedly the McCoys were interested in Tenn and SC as well, but Holly and Dawn also declined to make offers.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/08/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to say that Tori McCoy is welcome to Kentucky, but it sounds like she has some baggage. Then again our post situation needs an upgrade for the future.

PostPosted: 04/08/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Quote:

Reportedly the McCoys were interested in Tenn and SC as well, but Holly and Dawn also declined to make offers.

I think there are different levels of interest. UConn and ND I don't believe ever offered McCoy, nor did they invite her for an official visit. SC and UT did offer McCoy, and it wasn't just McCoy being interested in them, SC and UT were clearly interested in McCoy because they offered and convinced her to come on an official. A top 5 recruit like McCoy isn't making a bunch of officials to schools that didn't offer her, it'd be a waste of her time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 6 of 27

Jump to: