RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

News from Dallas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:25 am    ::: News from Dallas Reply Reply with quote

Dallas (AF) – Following one of the biggest upsets in the history of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament, the sport was rocked by a series of late night announcements that ESPN commentator Rebecca Lobo described as “a shocking whirlwind,” and that remade the landscape of the top tier of women’s college basketball.

The first surprise came from the University of Tennessee, which announced less than an hour after the conclusion of Friday’s Women’s Final Four games that head coach Holly Warlick, who had been coaching at Tennessee since 1985 and had been head coach since 2012, was retiring at the age of 58.

The shock of that news was eclipsed soon thereafter, however, when Tennessee released a second announcement that Warlick would be replaced by University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma, who had lost his national semifinal game just hours earlier.

Following Tennessee’s initial announcement, Warlick told reporters that, five years after replacing Summitt, she was “just so tired. I mean, if you don’t live it, you have no idea. I don't know how Pat did it.” A source in the Tennessee athletic department said Warlick recently had seen the Fire Holly Warlick Facebook page and the Fire Holly Warlick change.org petition. “Holly “decided that was the last straw and she didn’t want to put up with that [stuff] any more.”

Auriemma, at a 3:00 a.m. press conference, told reporters that, after 11 championships at Connecticut, “I need a new challenge. Going to Tennessee definitely is a challenge, both for me and the fans there, not to mention that it looks like the SEC is a pretty good conference.” Asked if he had any specific concerns about the move, he said, “They better not make me wear anything orange. Diana likes to punch things that are orange.”

The coaching dominos continued to fall through the night, with Connecticut announcing that Auriemma would be replaced by George Washington University head coach Jennifer Rizzotti, and George Washington replacing Rizzotti with Tonya Cardozo, head coach at Temple. Temple was rumored to be in negotiations with Connecticut assistant Shea Ralph, although neither the university nor Ralph would confirm the discussions.

Connecticut athletic director David Benedict said that Rizzotti was an obvious choice. “We had an understanding with Jen that when Geno left she could take the job. We didn’t expect it to happen this way, though.” George Washington’s athletic director Patrick Nero confirmed that Rizzotti’s contract contained a clause permitting her to leave without penalty to become head coach at Connecticut. “We had an understanding with Jen that when Geno left she could take the job. We didn’t expect it to happen this way, though.”

Sources at ESPN, while expressing bewilderment at the chain of events, were quick to note that the news added an air of excitement to Sunday night’s championship game. “Wow, what a story line,” ESPN analyst Doris Burke said. “Everyone will want to see how UConn’s players react – does it break them down or make them even more determined? I can hardly wait to see.” Reminded that Connecticut was not playing in the final, Burke responded “Well, I still don’t believe they lost.” Early in the morning, Lobo and commentator Kara Lawson were seen in intense discussion, each exclaiming several times “This can’t be happening!”

FINAL FOUR NOTES: The NCAA announced after Friday night’s games that the championship team would forego the traditional visit to the White House this year. “We viewed this as something like an HB2 situation, in which we couldn’t guarantee that the athletes would be treated with respect or that they wouldn’t experience inappropriate behavior if they went there,” NCAA President Mark Emmert explained. “We talked to all of the teams, and they agreed, particularly when we explained our alternative plan.” Instead of visiting the White House, NCAA sources said, the winners will meet with former President Obama in his new residence in the Kalorama section of Washington. “The players were quite enthusiastic about it,” the source said, “particularly after we told them that Michelle promised to be there.”

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As good as usual!

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People would read further, if you didn't have Geno as the replacement.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice try but foolish. Wink

PostPosted: 04/01/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems as credible as basketballologist's post that MSU and SC would be playing in the title game.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/17 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm imagining the Tennessee and Connecticut alumni networks doing a collective "This can't be happening!" "This can't be happening!" exchange.

Also, love the throwback to Taurasi and punching something orange.

(now with spelling variations)
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but with unnecessary and inappropriate political attacks, your worst annual effort ever.
IllogicalVulcan

PostPosted: 04/01/17 2:55 pm    ::: Re: News from Dallas Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
“Wow, what a story line,” ESPN analyst Doris Burke said. “Everyone will want to see how UConn’s players react – does it break them down or make them even more determined? I can hardly wait to see.”

This is the sentence that made it Art.

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 04/01/17 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sorry, but with unnecessary and inappropriate political attacks, your worst annual effort ever.

lol. they're totally necessary and totally appropriate. you should read the news more, kiddo.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did y'all hear where Mississippi State beat Uconn... hehehe

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope everyone had fun with this.

As you might guess, there was some, ah, rewriting, late last night. I actually almost took out the Doris Burke line, then realized it had to stay. This paragraph, though, had to go:

Auriemma will not coach the final game. "We'll let Chris Dailey coach it," Benedict said. "She's earned it. It's kind of a Steve Fischer situation."

Glenn, I'm sorry if you didn't think the last paragraph was funny. I included it only because I thought it was, not because of the politics. There's certainly a shot at Trump, but there's also a dig at the NCAA and at Obama (that his wife is more popular than him). I thought the combination was what made it work, but YMMV.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/01/17 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, the Fire Holly Warlick Facebook page and change.org petition are real. As of last night, the Facebook page had 93 likes, and the change.org petition had 22 signatures.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/04/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The politics are a miss because there's very little chance Trump will invite the champs to the White House in the first place

PostPosted: 04/04/17 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The politics are a miss because there's very little chance Trump will invite the champs to the White House in the first place.

This is why I was so glad that the Sparks got the chance to visit the White House just before Obama left office. I can just imagine the looks on some of the Sparks players' faces if they had to pose for a photo op with Trump. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
pilight wrote:
The politics are a miss because there's very little chance Trump will invite the champs to the White House in the first place.

This is why I was so glad that the Sparks got the chance to visit the White House just before Obama left office. I can just imagine the looks on some of the Sparks players' faces if they had to pose for a photo op with Trump. Rolling Eyes

I imagine it would be more "Touch me and I will BREAK YOU."

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: