RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Mississippi St
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23313



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:


And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?


Ironically enough, I thought this game was the worst we've seen for awhile in terms of those quick whistles. I thought in general, the refs have been fairly restrained the last couple of weeks. But maybe they decided they had to make sure they had 'control' of the final game.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4884
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:


And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?


Ironically enough, I thought this game was the worst we've seen for awhile in terms of those quick whistles. I thought in general, the refs have been fairly restrained the last couple of weeks. But maybe they decided they had to make sure they had 'control' of the final game.


It was terrible, but there was also that egregious mess in the UConn-Miss. St. game with the Samuelson flop, plus some no-calls in that one that were equally bad. But maybe I am still smarting from the regular season and some of the miserable refs in the CAA, who, I understand, we share with the ACC...and I hear lots of bitching about the reffing over there too! I saw one of our most hated ones in a UCLA game during the regionals......



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1551
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14442
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


William being benched was discussed on the national NPR news coverage this morning as well.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5101
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6546
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


Laughing Jenkins is a terrific writer, but I wish she'd pay attention to WBB more than one week or so out of the year.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 742
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.


He was asked about it: he said simply that William wasn't performing well (for whatever reason), and he felt that Jasmuun Holmes was doing a better job of what he wanted from the position at the end: he was going to put her in in the 4th, but because of that he just opted to leave Holmes in the game, and then the game was over......


Miss St. wasn't a team that was a big offensive team this season anyways. They only had 2 players who averaged in dbl digits (Vivians and William, who averaged 16.3 and 10.9 ppg respectively). Miss State's success revolves around their stellar defense, which usually is how South Carolina's success goes as well. USC and MSU actually averaged around the same PPG this season, but USC had 4 players that averaged dbl-digits, which means that USC relied more on its starters to score, while MSU rotated a larger bench of players who all chipped in.

But USC's own defense was better this year, despite the game announcers all hyping Miss St.'s defense. USC had the better scoring defense, and MUCH better FG % allowed and 3-pt FG % allowed than what the Bulldogs allowed.

USC did a fantastic job on defending both Vivians and William in all the games this season. Vivians will shoot from anywhere on the court, and often need to shoot tons to get her points, but she can "go off" in certain games and before you know it score 20+ - 25+ pts. She scored 19 pts vs UConn before fouling out.

In the 3 gms versus USC this season, Vivians scored 12 pts (4 of 16 shooting), 9 pts (3-10), and 12 pts (again 4 of 16), for an average of 11.0 PPG. William scored 4 pts (2 of 11), 14 pts (7-13), and 8 pts (2-6) for an average of 8.7 PPG. USC did a great job of holding their top scorers. playmakers, and emotional leaders for the Bulldogs from going off and having big offensive games. They basically did to Miss St. what Miss St. has done so successfully defensively this season to all their opponents to have their great results.

I think with William, she was always the player that sort of hid behind what Vivians was doing offensively (plus the other scorer thats no longer with Miss St.), and would rise up and hit big mid-range jumpers and layups off of steals. Sort of be the quiet assassin type. In this tournament, she was asked to be the main player offensively that put the team onto her tiny shoulders and I think she performed in that role remarkably well, but spent her energies too early with one game left. The win over UConn was so exuberant and hyped by the media and whatnot that it was almost LIKE winning the whole thing, when they still had another game with a top caliber opponent left to play. And that doesn't even talk about what William did versus Baylor, which was remarkable...

I think William was on fumes emotionally as well as physically to begin with at the start of this game, and then she had to contend with Cuevas-Moore in her face and pocket the entire game, when Cuevas-Moore was playing the best defense of her career in the late stages of this season, and it just wore her down....


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5101
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.


He was asked about it: he said simply that William wasn't performing well (for whatever reason), and he felt that Jasmuun Holmes was doing a better job of what he wanted from the position at the end: he was going to put her in in the 4th, but because of that he just opted to leave Holmes in the game, and then the game was over......


Miss St. wasn't a team that was a big offensive team this season anyways. They only had 2 players who averaged in dbl digits (Vivians and William, who averaged 16.3 and 10.9 ppg respectively). Miss State's success revolves around their stellar defense, which usually is how South Carolina's success goes as well. USC and MSU actually averaged around the same PPG this season, but USC had 4 players that averaged dbl-digits, which means that USC relied more on its starters to score, while MSU rotated a larger bench of players who all chipped in.

But USC's own defense was better this year, despite the game announcers all hyping Miss St.'s defense. USC had the better scoring defense, and MUCH better FG % allowed and 3-pt FG % allowed than what the Bulldogs allowed.

USC did a fantastic job on defending both Vivians and William in all the games this season. Vivians will shoot from anywhere on the court, and often need to shoot tons to get her points, but she can "go off" in certain games and before you know it score 20+ - 25+ pts. She scored 19 pts vs UConn before fouling out.

In the 3 gms versus USC this season, Vivians scored 12 pts (4 of 16 shooting), 9 pts (3-10), and 12 pts (again 4 of 16), for an average of 11.0 PPG. William scored 4 pts (2 of 11), 14 pts (7-13), and 8 pts (2-6) for an average of 8.7 PPG. USC did a great job of holding their top scorers. playmakers, and emotional leaders for the Bulldogs from going off and having big offensive games. They basically did to Miss St. what Miss St. has done so successfully defensively this season to all their opponents to have their great results.

I think with William, she was always the player that sort of hid behind what Vivians was doing offensively (plus the other scorer thats no longer with Miss St.), and would rise up and hit big mid-range jumpers and layups off of steals. Sort of be the quiet assassin type. In this tournament, she was asked to be the main player offensively that put the team onto her tiny shoulders and I think she performed in that role remarkably well, but spent her energies too early with one game left. The win over UConn was so exuberant and hyped by the media and whatnot that it was almost LIKE winning the whole thing, when they still had another game with a top caliber opponent left to play. And that doesn't even talk about what William did versus Baylor, which was remarkable...

I think William was on fumes emotionally as well as physically to begin with at the start of this game, and then she had to contend with Cuevas-Moore in her face and pocket the entire game, when Cuevas-Moore was playing the best defense of her career in the late stages of this season, and it just wore her down....


Thanks, CG. You've always been an informative and patient poster.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23313



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10940
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

postgame presser link?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 10940
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus. If u were in my safe space, you'd have to be f'd up


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Thanks, CG. You've always been an informative and patient poster.



Good one.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4884
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing


What little I watched of it, all I could tell was that, just like ours, I think they got new whistles and felt they had to use them at every opportunity. Geez.

I don't generally watch the guys. Too much showboating, and I don't like the one-and-done business. I do like the Zags, though, and my alma mater, Wisconsin. not so much one-and-done either place. Too hard to get into, at least in the case of Wisconsin!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing


Or, ask yourself "how much of a mess could our refs make of a game played at this pace, this physically, with nonstop pushing, grabbing, hacking, and travelling."

That was a really ugly game. Not surprised at that level of sloppiness from UNC; that's what they do. But somewhat surprised to see Gonzaga play like that.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49467



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nU4WsgFNZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6848



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHz_sOmy6G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FPrEaeXQEJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6848



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lxcc_tcYo6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin