RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Carolyn Peck elated for Dawn Staley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:00 pm    ::: Carolyn Peck elated for Dawn Staley Reply Reply with quote

https://theundefeated.com/features/carolyn-peck-elated-for-dawn-staley-as-second-black-coach-to-win-womens-basketball-title/

Quote:
Carolyn Peck was so focused on her players after Purdue beat Duke in the 1999 women’s basketball championship that when a reporter asked her what it meant to be the first African-American coach to win a title, Peck realized that she’d never thought about it.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's won a national championship and is only 51. I'd think she'd be a head coach again if she wanted, although I know her stint at Florida was not successful like it was at Purdue.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Peck was the first black to win the NC and perhaps the youngest. I researched it once but forget. It's close among Peck, Frese and, if you go pre-NCAA, one of those gals from the 70's.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
She's won a national championship and is only 51. I'd think she'd be a head coach again if she wanted, although I know her stint at Florida was not successful like it was at Purdue.

Her stint at Purdue was successful because of the players that were there for her. They did most of the heavy lifting and were leaders. Peck gets WAY too much credit for anything Purdue accomplished IMO.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Her stint at Purdue was successful because of the players that were there for her. They did most of the heavy lifting and were leaders. Peck gets WAY too much credit for anything Purdue accomplished IMO.

Also, Carolyn inherited a great squad; most of her players were recruited by Purdue's previous head coach, Lin Dunn.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

One of those "heavy lifters" thinks enough of her to hire her. That says a lot, IMO.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: