RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Mississippi St
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

KatValeska

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Gamecocks, Dawn Staley and their fans.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes

God and family. May have something to do with her main recruiting territory?

BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew South Carolina had the distinct advantage. I think the way MSU won put more attention on them and kind of freed up SC from some of the pressure than could have been on them as the favorite. They were a little shaky at first but once they settled in, they looked so very dominant.

This may sound odd to some, but I think Vivians hitting those early shots was a bad thing for the Bulldogs. It gave her enough confidence to shoot at will instead of spreading things around. Some of those shots weren't good shots. In some games, it may not be as bad, but against a team like SC, it was detrimental to MSU.

Doris and Dave were tolerable. Always liked Kara. Those post-game interviews show why Holly Rowe is one of the best in the business.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to South Carolina.

And Doris has found someone new to overpromote.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley had better offensive and defensive game plans against Mississippi State than Kim Mulkey or Geno Auriemma did -- and also better rebound execution and ball protection (lack of turnovers).

Dawn pressured Morgan William to the extent she couldn't really do anything other than finally leave the game and sit on the bench. Kudos to Bianca Cuevas for much of that pressure.

SC won the game without making even one 3pt shot.

To win the NC after your double-double player and AA candidate (Coates) goes down for the season is perhaps unprecedented.

Staley is now at the pinnacle: NC champion and Olympic coach.

The key question is whether elite recruiting will continue.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 04/02/17 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.

yeah, i'm not big on this kind of public display at a sporting event.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

God and family. May have something to do with her main recruiting territory?

good point.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Dawn Staley had better offensive and defensive game plans against South Carolina than Tara Vanderveer or Geno Auriemma did -- and also better rebound execution and ball protection (lack of turnovers).

Dawn pressured Morgan William to the extent she couldn't really do anything other than finally leave the game and sit on the bench. Kudos to Bianca Cuevas for much of that pressure.

SC won the game without making even one 3pt shot.

To win the NC after your double-double player and AA candidate (Coates) goes down for the season is perhaps unprecedented.

Staley is now at the pinnacle: NC champion and Olympic coach.

The key question is whether elite recruiting will continue.

Not really. She had the athletes to make the strategy's success probable.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I knew South Carolina had the distinct advantage. I think the way MSU won put more attention on them and kind of freed up SC from some of the pressure than could have been on them as the favorite. They were a little shaky at first but once they settled in, they looked so very dominant.

This may sound odd to some, but I think Vivians hitting those early shots was a bad thing for the Bulldogs. It gave her enough confidence to shoot at will instead of spreading things around. Some of those shots weren't good shots. In some games, it may not be as bad, but against a team like SC, it was detrimental to MSU.

Doris and Dave were tolerable. Always liked Kara. Those post-game interviews show why Holly Rowe is one of the best in the business.

USC always seems to have the tendency under Coach Staley to start games - especially games against more competitive opponents - a little slow and sluggish. Against weaker opponents it's harder to tell because so often the opponents help out the Gamecocks to balance the difference. But it seems to me its almost how they are coached, like a philosophy or something. Sort of "feel" the opponent out, and then turn it up a notch in the 2nd Qtr., and then really turn it up after halftime.

It mostly works out in the end, for whatever reasons, but sometimes I'd just like to see the team storm out in front in those big games, dominating whoever and crushing their opponent's spirit, lol.

I felt the Gamecocks survived a surge by the Bulldogs in the 3rd Qtr., completing the survival at the end with the Davis shot that got the lead back up to 8 pts. I wondered if Miss State would have another surge in them for the 4th Qtr., but it turned out they didn't.

Coach Shaefer was reported by Holly Rowe to be begging and pleading for William to step up in team huddles. Perhaps William was more emotionally than physically drained by the UConn win, and didn't have anything left for today. Otherwise I can't fathom why she would be benched for the 4th Qtr., as she's been the quiet leader of the team's resurgence going back to last season...

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Apparently, it works surprisingly really well for recruiting purposes down in the Southeast. People in the upstate of SC are expecting any day now for Dabo Swinney to grow out a long white beard, and start walking around campus in long robes carrying a staff and stone tablets with some etchings on them. Any day now.....

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

link to the press conferences?

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Apparently, it works surprisingly really well for recruiting purposes down in the Southeast. People in the upstate of SC are expecting any day now for Dabo Swinney to grow out a long white beard, and start walking around campus in long robes carrying a staff and stone tablets with some etchings on them. Any day now.....

Maybe it's because of my Southern Baptist upbringing but it doesn't offend me Smile It's just a part of who they are and what they believe. Many do it in a low key enough way, like Dawn, that it's nothing too bad. Now if they got up there and did a full sermon and passing the plate...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Both teams. Maybe see them back next year!!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished watching.

Kudos to BOTH teams for even BEING there, on that stage, and Congrats to SC for pulling it out nicely.

I don't have the energy to go back and review all the posts, but....did y'all discuss the merits of Vic NOT utilizing any zone defense? I'm just mildly curious if any others saw that as a gap in his strategy. Nobody was hitting any threes, but SC certainly was owning the paint.

After all is said and done, I must say this was a very exciting tournament, filled with some amazing games. And a break from UConn is always nice! Wink

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC is the first team to win the NC without making a 3 since 2002, when UCONN boomed the Sooners.

Cool

PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Vivians' shot selection is just Rolling Eyes

+1 million Arrow

+2 million

She's an honorable mention All American! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/02/17 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley is the first former WNBA player to coach a team to a national championship

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
link to the press conferences?

Strangely I haven't seen the after game press conference either. They showed the MS one but not the SC one. What's up with that. SC did win the Ship after all and espn doesn't show their press conference. They showed both MS and UConn's full press conf on Fri. Are they so upset that SC(who none of them expected to win the Ship) that they wouldn't show it. I kept waiting for it on several espn channels and have yet to see it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
In both games this year, South Carolina basically had 2 players do most of the scoring. If MSU can make some of SC's less offensively talented players beat them, then they can pull it off.

In game 1, Wilson and Gray combined for 43 of 64 points, or 67%.
In game 2, Wilson and Davis combined for 38 of 59 points, or 64%.

In today's game, Wilson and Gray combined for 41 of 67 points, or 61%.

All of SC's points were in or around the paint. That, plus rebounding, plus having relatively few turnovers, plus getting in Morgan William's grill, was the recipe for winning the game against Mississippi State . . . again.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beating UConn takes a lot out of a team. The last time a team beat the Hussies and won their next game was 2006, when Duke did it. Last time it happened with the games on the same weekend was 2001, when Notre Dame pulled it off.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Gray is having a solid game. She's got 16 pts and 9 RB's.

She finishes really well. I haven't seen her much but she has impressed these past 2 games.

She was always the best player at UNC...DD was just flashier and got all the publicity

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The games where SC struggled during the season if I remember correctly were against teams who zoned them. Strange to see that element ignored.

But I see some still have to put down our female counterparts like Doris for example who is out there in the NBA side lines representing women.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't post during the game because I was too busy watching, and I had some other priorities after Smile

I thought Miss. St. just looked kind of tired and out of sorts, like maybe they left everything on the floor Friday night....and maybe they did. it happens. They didn't seem to be playing with quite as much emotion as they had in the previous two games. I also didn't understand Vic sitting Morgan William the entire 4th Q....WHAT????? She looked pretty upset. McCowan wasn't quite up to A'ja Wilson, but boy, in another year or two she will be able to bang with anyone. Remembering that she is only a sophomore is pretty scary, and Vic is quite good at player development makes me think that she will be something to reckon with. I don't know what was going on with Okorie, she fumbled a lot. Well, they only lose Dillingham, of the starters, so look out!

SC looked awesome and deserved the win and the NC. I can remember the days before Dawn, when SC was the doormat of the SEC and everyone made jokes about them. No more! She's done an amazing job and they should be where they are. I'm sure the recruiting continues to be even better now....

And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?

PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The games where SC struggled during the season if I remember correctly were against teams who zoned them. Strange to see that element ignored.

But I see some still have to put down our female counterparts like Doris for example who is out there in the NBA side lines representing women.

Puhleez! Rolling Eyes Let Doris stay out there on the NBA sidelines! I actually think she does a better job there. You make it into a sexist thing when it is really a competency thing. Doris simply isn't very good at 'doing' basketball and, especially when UConn is involved, it just gets horrific. There are many other "female counterparts" who are much better at calling games...and don't show their biases nearly so much. (NOT including Mary Murphy)

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: