RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Mississippi St
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Message
KatValeska



Joined: 04 Oct 2004
Posts: 1803
Location: Colorado


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Gamecocks, Dawn Staley and their fans.



_________________
The happenings at the U.S.and Canadian Embassies in Cuba - it's not just weird, it's offensive.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11676



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


God and family. May have something to do with her main recruiting territory?


BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 253
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I knew South Carolina had the distinct advantage. I think the way MSU won put more attention on them and kind of freed up SC from some of the pressure than could have been on them as the favorite. They were a little shaky at first but once they settled in, they looked so very dominant.

This may sound odd to some, but I think Vivians hitting those early shots was a bad thing for the Bulldogs. It gave her enough confidence to shoot at will instead of spreading things around. Some of those shots weren't good shots. In some games, it may not be as bad, but against a team like SC, it was detrimental to MSU.

Doris and Dave were tolerable. Always liked Kara. Those post-game interviews show why Holly Rowe is one of the best in the business.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11676



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to South Carolina.

And Doris has found someone new to overpromote.


BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 253
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3932
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley had better offensive and defensive game plans against Mississippi State than Kim Mulkey or Geno Auriemma did -- and also better rebound execution and ball protection (lack of turnovers).

Dawn pressured Morgan William to the extent she couldn't really do anything other than finally leave the game and sit on the bench. Kudos to Bianca Cuevas for much of that pressure.

SC won the game without making even one 3pt shot.

To win the NC after your double-double player and AA candidate (Coates) goes down for the season is perhaps unprecedented.

Staley is now at the pinnacle: NC champion and Olympic coach.

The key question is whether elite recruiting will continue.


Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 04/02/17 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.


yeah, i'm not big on this kind of public display at a sporting event.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


God and family. May have something to do with her main recruiting territory?


good point.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Dawn Staley had better offensive and defensive game plans against South Carolina than Tara Vanderveer or Geno Auriemma did -- and also better rebound execution and ball protection (lack of turnovers).

Dawn pressured Morgan William to the extent she couldn't really do anything other than finally leave the game and sit on the bench. Kudos to Bianca Cuevas for much of that pressure.

SC won the game without making even one 3pt shot.

To win the NC after your double-double player and AA candidate (Coates) goes down for the season is perhaps unprecedented.

Staley is now at the pinnacle: NC champion and Olympic coach.

The key question is whether elite recruiting will continue.


Not really. She had the athletes to make the strategy's success probable.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 636
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I knew South Carolina had the distinct advantage. I think the way MSU won put more attention on them and kind of freed up SC from some of the pressure than could have been on them as the favorite. They were a little shaky at first but once they settled in, they looked so very dominant.

This may sound odd to some, but I think Vivians hitting those early shots was a bad thing for the Bulldogs. It gave her enough confidence to shoot at will instead of spreading things around. Some of those shots weren't good shots. In some games, it may not be as bad, but against a team like SC, it was detrimental to MSU.

Doris and Dave were tolerable. Always liked Kara. Those post-game interviews show why Holly Rowe is one of the best in the business.


USC always seems to have the tendency under Coach Staley to start games - especially games against more competitive opponents - a little slow and sluggish. Against weaker opponents it's harder to tell because so often the opponents help out the Gamecocks to balance the difference. But it seems to me its almost how they are coached, like a philosophy or something. Sort of "feel" the opponent out, and then turn it up a notch in the 2nd Qtr., and then really turn it up after halftime.

It mostly works out in the end, for whatever reasons, but sometimes I'd just like to see the team storm out in front in those big games, dominating whoever and crushing their opponent's spirit, lol.

I felt the Gamecocks survived a surge by the Bulldogs in the 3rd Qtr., completing the survival at the end with the Davis shot that got the lead back up to 8 pts. I wondered if Miss State would have another surge in them for the 4th Qtr., but it turned out they didn't.

Coach Shaefer was reported by Holly Rowe to be begging and pleading for William to step up in team huddles. Perhaps William was more emotionally than physically drained by the UConn win, and didn't have anything left for today. Otherwise I can't fathom why she would be benched for the 4th Qtr., as she's been the quiet leader of the team's resurgence going back to last season...


Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 636
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.


yeah, i'm not big on this kind of public display at a sporting event.


Apparently, it works surprisingly really well for recruiting purposes down in the Southeast. People in the upstate of SC are expecting any day now for Dabo Swinney to grow out a long white beard, and start walking around campus in long robes carrying a staff and stone tablets with some etchings on them. Any day now.....


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

link to the press conferences?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
BamaEd



Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 253
Location: United States


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
really? dawn's a god freak?

Rolling Eyes


I'm not understanding the eyeroll on this. So she has faith in God and spirituality. Is there something wrong with that? Many sports figure give thanks to God. It's not like she preached or gave the sermon on the mount up there.


yeah, i'm not big on this kind of public display at a sporting event.


Apparently, it works surprisingly really well for recruiting purposes down in the Southeast. People in the upstate of SC are expecting any day now for Dabo Swinney to grow out a long white beard, and start walking around campus in long robes carrying a staff and stone tablets with some etchings on them. Any day now.....


Maybe it's because of my Southern Baptist upbringing but it doesn't offend me Smile It's just a part of who they are and what they believe. Many do it in a low key enough way, like Dawn, that it's nothing too bad. Now if they got up there and did a full sermon and passing the plate...


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3378
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Both teams. Maybe see them back next year!!



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10658
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just finished watching.

Kudos to BOTH teams for even BEING there, on that stage, and Congrats to SC for pulling it out nicely.

I don't have the energy to go back and review all the posts, but....did y'all discuss the merits of Vic NOT utilizing any zone defense? I'm just mildly curious if any others saw that as a gap in his strategy. Nobody was hitting any threes, but SC certainly was owning the paint.

After all is said and done, I must say this was a very exciting tournament, filled with some amazing games. And a break from UConn is always nice! Wink



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC is the first team to win the NC without making a 3 since 2002, when UCONN boomed the Sooners.

Cool



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5468



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Vivians' shot selection is just Rolling Eyes

+1 million Arrow


+2 million

She's an honorable mention All American! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed



_________________
Texas Lady Longhorns
UConn Huskies

Las Vegas Stars
Dallas Wings
Seattle Storm
Chicago Sky
Connecticut Sun


Last edited by RavenDog on 04/02/17 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54930
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley is the first former WNBA player to coach a team to a national championship



_________________
Happiness depends, as Nature shows,
Less on exterior things than most suppose
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3130



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
link to the press conferences?


Strangely I haven't seen the after game press conference either. They showed the MS one but not the SC one. What's up with that. SC did win the Ship after all and espn doesn't show their press conference. They showed both MS and UConn's full press conf on Fri. Are they so upset that SC(who none of them expected to win the Ship) that they wouldn't show it. I kept waiting for it on several espn channels and have yet to see it.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3932
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
In both games this year, South Carolina basically had 2 players do most of the scoring. If MSU can make some of SC's less offensively talented players beat them, then they can pull it off.

In game 1, Wilson and Gray combined for 43 of 64 points, or 67%.
In game 2, Wilson and Davis combined for 38 of 59 points, or 64%.


In today's game, Wilson and Gray combined for 41 of 67 points, or 61%.

All of SC's points were in or around the paint. That, plus rebounding, plus having relatively few turnovers, plus getting in Morgan William's grill, was the recipe for winning the game against Mississippi State . . . again.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54930
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beating UConn takes a lot out of a team. The last time a team beat the Hussies and won their next game was 2006, when Duke did it. Last time it happened with the games on the same weekend was 2001, when Notre Dame pulled it off.



_________________
Happiness depends, as Nature shows,
Less on exterior things than most suppose
goforit77



Joined: 09 Jan 2015
Posts: 67



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Gray is having a solid game. She's got 16 pts and 9 RB's.


She finishes really well. I haven't seen her much but she has impressed these past 2 games.



She was always the best player at UNC...DD was just flashier and got all the publicity


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 304



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The games where SC struggled during the season if I remember correctly were against teams who zoned them. Strange to see that element ignored.

But I see some still have to put down our female counterparts like Doris for example who is out there in the NBA side lines representing women.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4187
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't post during the game because I was too busy watching, and I had some other priorities after Smile

I thought Miss. St. just looked kind of tired and out of sorts, like maybe they left everything on the floor Friday night....and maybe they did. it happens. They didn't seem to be playing with quite as much emotion as they had in the previous two games. I also didn't understand Vic sitting Morgan William the entire 4th Q....WHAT????? She looked pretty upset. McCowan wasn't quite up to A'ja Wilson, but boy, in another year or two she will be able to bang with anyone. Remembering that she is only a sophomore is pretty scary, and Vic is quite good at player development makes me think that she will be something to reckon with. I don't know what was going on with Okorie, she fumbled a lot. Well, they only lose Dillingham, of the starters, so look out!

SC looked awesome and deserved the win and the NC. I can remember the days before Dawn, when SC was the doormat of the SEC and everyone made jokes about them. No more! She's done an amazing job and they should be where they are. I'm sure the recruiting continues to be even better now....

And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20488



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The games where SC struggled during the season if I remember correctly were against teams who zoned them. Strange to see that element ignored.

But I see some still have to put down our female counterparts like Doris for example who is out there in the NBA side lines representing women.


Puhleez! Rolling Eyes Let Doris stay out there on the NBA sidelines! I actually think she does a better job there. You make it into a sexist thing when it is really a competency thing. Doris simply isn't very good at 'doing' basketball and, especially when UConn is involved, it just gets horrific. There are many other "female counterparts" who are much better at calling games...and don't show their biases nearly so much. (NOT including Mary Murphy)



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20488



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:


And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?


Ironically enough, I thought this game was the worst we've seen for awhile in terms of those quick whistles. I thought in general, the refs have been fairly restrained the last couple of weeks. But maybe they decided they had to make sure they had 'control' of the final game.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4187
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
summertime blues wrote:


And let's talk about just how awful the refs were, please. It looked to me like they all got new whistles and just couldn't wait to use them. All the commentators made reference to "fast whistles' and rightly so! They made some of the most ridiculous calls I've ever seen. Are we EVER going to get decent refs in WBB?


Ironically enough, I thought this game was the worst we've seen for awhile in terms of those quick whistles. I thought in general, the refs have been fairly restrained the last couple of weeks. But maybe they decided they had to make sure they had 'control' of the final game.


It was terrible, but there was also that egregious mess in the UConn-Miss. St. game with the Samuelson flop, plus some no-calls in that one that were equally bad. But maybe I am still smarting from the regular season and some of the miserable refs in the CAA, who, I understand, we share with the ACC...and I hear lots of bitching about the reffing over there too! I saw one of our most hated ones in a UCLA game during the regionals......



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1482
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 13856
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


William being benched was discussed on the national NPR news coverage this morning as well.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3932
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6221
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Sally Jenkins @sallyjenx of the Washington Post has been having a Twitter snit fit all morning about Vic Schaefer's keeping Morgan William on the 4Q bench. When a tweet to her said the coach had better view of player and game, Jenkins replied: Enjoy the Schaefer family reunion. Ouch.


Laughing Jenkins is a terrific writer, but I wish she'd pay attention to WBB more than one week or so out of the year.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 636
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.


He was asked about it: he said simply that William wasn't performing well (for whatever reason), and he felt that Jasmuun Holmes was doing a better job of what he wanted from the position at the end: he was going to put her in in the 4th, but because of that he just opted to leave Holmes in the game, and then the game was over......


Miss St. wasn't a team that was a big offensive team this season anyways. They only had 2 players who averaged in dbl digits (Vivians and William, who averaged 16.3 and 10.9 ppg respectively). Miss State's success revolves around their stellar defense, which usually is how South Carolina's success goes as well. USC and MSU actually averaged around the same PPG this season, but USC had 4 players that averaged dbl-digits, which means that USC relied more on its starters to score, while MSU rotated a larger bench of players who all chipped in.

But USC's own defense was better this year, despite the game announcers all hyping Miss St.'s defense. USC had the better scoring defense, and MUCH better FG % allowed and 3-pt FG % allowed than what the Bulldogs allowed.

USC did a fantastic job on defending both Vivians and William in all the games this season. Vivians will shoot from anywhere on the court, and often need to shoot tons to get her points, but she can "go off" in certain games and before you know it score 20+ - 25+ pts. She scored 19 pts vs UConn before fouling out.

In the 3 gms versus USC this season, Vivians scored 12 pts (4 of 16 shooting), 9 pts (3-10), and 12 pts (again 4 of 16), for an average of 11.0 PPG. William scored 4 pts (2 of 11), 14 pts (7-13), and 8 pts (2-6) for an average of 8.7 PPG. USC did a great job of holding their top scorers. playmakers, and emotional leaders for the Bulldogs from going off and having big offensive games. They basically did to Miss St. what Miss St. has done so successfully defensively this season to all their opponents to have their great results.

I think with William, she was always the player that sort of hid behind what Vivians was doing offensively (plus the other scorer thats no longer with Miss St.), and would rise up and hit big mid-range jumpers and layups off of steals. Sort of be the quiet assassin type. In this tournament, she was asked to be the main player offensively that put the team onto her tiny shoulders and I think she performed in that role remarkably well, but spent her energies too early with one game left. The win over UConn was so exuberant and hyped by the media and whatnot that it was almost LIKE winning the whole thing, when they still had another game with a top caliber opponent left to play. And that doesn't even talk about what William did versus Baylor, which was remarkable...

I think William was on fumes emotionally as well as physically to begin with at the start of this game, and then she had to contend with Cuevas-Moore in her face and pocket the entire game, when Cuevas-Moore was playing the best defense of her career in the late stages of this season, and it just wore her down....


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3932
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Why was William benched?

I never heard the Schaefer news conference or whether he was asked about it.


He was asked about it: he said simply that William wasn't performing well (for whatever reason), and he felt that Jasmuun Holmes was doing a better job of what he wanted from the position at the end: he was going to put her in in the 4th, but because of that he just opted to leave Holmes in the game, and then the game was over......


Miss St. wasn't a team that was a big offensive team this season anyways. They only had 2 players who averaged in dbl digits (Vivians and William, who averaged 16.3 and 10.9 ppg respectively). Miss State's success revolves around their stellar defense, which usually is how South Carolina's success goes as well. USC and MSU actually averaged around the same PPG this season, but USC had 4 players that averaged dbl-digits, which means that USC relied more on its starters to score, while MSU rotated a larger bench of players who all chipped in.

But USC's own defense was better this year, despite the game announcers all hyping Miss St.'s defense. USC had the better scoring defense, and MUCH better FG % allowed and 3-pt FG % allowed than what the Bulldogs allowed.

USC did a fantastic job on defending both Vivians and William in all the games this season. Vivians will shoot from anywhere on the court, and often need to shoot tons to get her points, but she can "go off" in certain games and before you know it score 20+ - 25+ pts. She scored 19 pts vs UConn before fouling out.

In the 3 gms versus USC this season, Vivians scored 12 pts (4 of 16 shooting), 9 pts (3-10), and 12 pts (again 4 of 16), for an average of 11.0 PPG. William scored 4 pts (2 of 11), 14 pts (7-13), and 8 pts (2-6) for an average of 8.7 PPG. USC did a great job of holding their top scorers. playmakers, and emotional leaders for the Bulldogs from going off and having big offensive games. They basically did to Miss St. what Miss St. has done so successfully defensively this season to all their opponents to have their great results.

I think with William, she was always the player that sort of hid behind what Vivians was doing offensively (plus the other scorer thats no longer with Miss St.), and would rise up and hit big mid-range jumpers and layups off of steals. Sort of be the quiet assassin type. In this tournament, she was asked to be the main player offensively that put the team onto her tiny shoulders and I think she performed in that role remarkably well, but spent her energies too early with one game left. The win over UConn was so exuberant and hyped by the media and whatnot that it was almost LIKE winning the whole thing, when they still had another game with a top caliber opponent left to play. And that doesn't even talk about what William did versus Baylor, which was remarkable...

I think William was on fumes emotionally as well as physically to begin with at the start of this game, and then she had to contend with Cuevas-Moore in her face and pocket the entire game, when Cuevas-Moore was playing the best defense of her career in the late stages of this season, and it just wore her down....


Thanks, CG. You've always been an informative and patient poster.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20488



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

postgame presser link?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 8626
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/03/17 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Thanks, CG. You've always been an informative and patient poster.



Good one.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4187
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing


What little I watched of it, all I could tell was that, just like ours, I think they got new whistles and felt they had to use them at every opportunity. Geez.

I don't generally watch the guys. Too much showboating, and I don't like the one-and-done business. I do like the Zags, though, and my alma mater, Wisconsin. not so much one-and-done either place. Too hard to get into, at least in the case of Wisconsin!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11676



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Watching the boys game tonight, I'm starting to think our refs are better. Laughing


Or, ask yourself "how much of a mess could our refs make of a game played at this pace, this physically, with nonstop pushing, grabbing, hacking, and travelling."

That was a really ugly game. Not surprised at that level of sloppiness from UNC; that's what they do. But somewhat surprised to see Gonzaga play like that.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44349



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/04/17 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nU4WsgFNZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5438



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZHz_sOmy6G8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FPrEaeXQEJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 5438



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lxcc_tcYo6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin