RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Connecticut vs #2 Mississippi St - 3/31/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
All of O'Brien's "shock the world" and "biggest upset of all times" rubbish is certainly condescending and insulting, isn't it? They're a 2 seed. This isn't like a 16 seed leading a 1 or anything.

Give 'em a little credit. They earned their way here.

ESPN is way out of line with that nonsense.

Theres nothing out of line about beating a team thats won 4 straight titles and 111 games in a row. 2 seed 10 seed hell 1 Seed thats just NOT suppose to happen . especially after only about 365 days ago being drubbed by the same team by 60! Espn did a great job

The same team? How close do you follow WCB?

While underdog #2 seed MSU earned a great, exciting win in OT on a buzzer beater, ended an 111 game win streak, and knocked off the 4-time defending champ, it really wasn't what some people apparently want (or need) it to be. They beat a 36-0 UConn team that had 1 conf championship , 0 NCs, and was essentially in their first FF, just as MSU was in their actual first FF.

Again, if this was LAST YEAR, than yeah, I'd go with one of the greatest of all time.

Michigan won the WNIT yesterday with a 3OT 89-79 win over Georgia Tech, a team they lost to by 92-52 THIS SEASON!!!

GREATEST UPSET IN HISTORY? Laughing

How close do you follow WCBB? A loss is a loss get over it. Regardless of who played on the team this year or last year they were all coached by Geno. If these attitudes where maintained throughout the entire seaso as far as we will lose eventually then it would not be so bad. But to hear the gloating and predicting how many they will win by as you did yourself " so how much does UCONN win by 60 or 40 remember" before a game is even played then to see them lose in classic fashion was just the icing over the cake. Just take the loss and carry on its over now. People should be able to enjoy seeing such a powerhouse lose and not have to deal with the excuses ..If UCONN had won by 80 im sure we would be discussing the comparison to if or are "They Better Than last Yrs Team" Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/02/17 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
lvf08 wrote:
The reaction of Doris when Miss. St. won
https://twitter.com/karalawson20/status/848318800030203904

PRICELESS!!!!! Laughing Laughing

Kudos to the camera person that thought to focus at them at that moment! Deserves an award! Laughing

really Doris? What a piece of sh!t.

Hmmm? I was told. . . .

WNBA 09 wrote:
Espn did a great job

As a whole i do agree ...there are complaints but dont take my comment out of context. Doris burke should be sent to tennis coverage. Kara was 👍

PostPosted: 04/02/17 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MissSt ran a classic 3pt bomber strategy in the first half, 5-17 is OK if that's what you're planning for. But the rest of their offense was working too, including the all in on the offensive glass stuff they've been doing. That 1st half rebounding margin was quite incredible. Switchup in the 3rd with McGowan on GWilliams, is just the weirdest of weirdness the coach was slinging, and it worked.

Was Butler hurt? I would have expected some minutes out of her.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
All of O'Brien's "shock the world" and "biggest upset of all times" rubbish is certainly condescending and insulting, isn't it? They're a 2 seed. This isn't like a 16 seed leading a 1 or anything.

Theres nothing out of line about beating a team thats won 4 straight titles and 111 games in a row. 2 seed 10 seed hell 1 Seed thats just NOT suppose to happen . especially after only about 365 days ago being drubbed by the same team by 60! Espn did a great job

While underdog #2 seed MSU earned a great, exciting win in OT on a buzzer beater, ended an 111 game win streak, and knocked off the 4-time defending champ, it really wasn't what some people apparently want (or need) it to be. They beat a 36-0 UConn team that had 1 conf championship , 0 NCs, and was essentially in their first FF, just as MSU was in their actual first FF.

Again, if this was LAST YEAR, than yeah, I'd go with one of the greatest of all time.

Michigan won the WNIT yesterday with a 3OT 89-79 win over Georgia Tech, a team they lost to by 92-52 THIS SEASON!!!

How close do you follow WCBB? A loss is a loss get over it. Regardless of who played on the team this year or last year they were all coached by Geno. If these attitudes where maintained throughout the entire seaso as far as we will lose eventually then it would not be so bad. But to hear the gloating and predicting how many they will win by as you did yourself " so how much does UCONN win by 60 or 40 remember" before a game is even played then to see them lose in classic fashion was just the icing over the cake. Just take the loss and carry on its over now. People should be able to enjoy seeing such a powerhouse lose and not have to deal with the excuses ..If UCONN had won by 80 im sure we would be discussing the comparison to if or are "They Better Than last Yrs Team" Rolling Eyes

First off, I'm certain I follow WCB more closely than you. Secondly, you seem to pay as much attention to this thread as you do WCB.

You should get that UCONN hatred in check cuz it seems to have boggled your mind. Let's review Pg 1 http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=91435&start=0 of this thread:

ME:
PostPosted: 03/28/17 7:49 am ::: Reply Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
What a great opportunity for MSU to avenge last year's S16 loss in Bridgeport.

The Bulldogs are a year wiser and have experienced UConn's intensity. They get to play on a neutral court and the Top 3 W picks are long gone.

With McCowan's dramatic improvement, William's scoring explosion and leadership, VV's shooting coming around, aggressive defense led by Dillingham and lots of size and depth, this will be a competitive game, imo.

All I hope is that UConn has remained one of those 60 pts better.

THEN YOU QUOTED ME AND ASKED:
So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

ME:
PostPosted: 03/28/17 7:18 pm ::: Reply Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
https://youtu.be/jjGmGwCMwlA

As Geno said (starts at 17:00) in the postgame, this is the same team we beat last year, but it's not the same team. I think Vic should have been COY.

MS ST is better than many seem to think, imo.

ME:
PostPosted: 03/29/17 8:07 am ::: Reply Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
Quite a limb there, pilight. Laughing

Expect competitive into the 4th.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Re: excuses- I haven't heard, or read, any excuse from anyone. Is this more hate-warped imagination/memory?

PostPosted: 04/02/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Thank God!!!!

Go sit yo azz down, UConn......

Typical Conway, that is why you got your ass razzed on other boards. No class. How about a mention to the great game the bulldogs play. Dope.

I got my ass razzed on other boards by you and other UConn fans because I championed the SEC in WCBB. Now it is an All-SEC Championship Finals. How bout that dope for ya??

Just shows you do not know what it is like to be a winner with class. Go look at all the posts here by UCONN fans, They all congratulated The BUlldogs. It is called being a winner even when you are on the wrong side of the score. Besides, we didn't razz you after the Gamecocks lost because you always dissappered on other boards after a defeat. LOL.

I went to the Miss St. and SEC boards, and congratulated them there, where they'll read it! Just like I've congratulated Miss St. all season long, which not very many here have done towards them until just a few hours ago. And yes, your group razzed the Gamecocks when they lost, razzed them when they won, and razzed them in the off-season when they didn't even play - and did it to my face. Unless that waste of a board was shut down or the threads were deleted, they are still there to back me up, and prove you a liar.

And a lot of you still do it here: for every game thread of another team here that I go into and post about how "not impressed" I am with those teams - even after they win games - there are posters here who post the same thing dozens of times in South Carolina game threads. I rarely at all even bother posting in game threads here that don't include South Carolina, and those threads are still here to back me up, so you know where to shove that high horse.....

Your prepubescent post says it all as to why you get razzed all the time as it has nothing to do with the Gamecocks but you. Actually this is what you bring to all the boards you populate and it is the antithesis of what Rebkell is all about so as such I apologize to all others and move on.

We only move on by closing it on this note: oldfandepot2 talked about posting with "class" over a loss. He has a history of posting with such "class".

My very first experiences of this poster was when A'ja Wilson chose South Carolina over - among other programs - his UConn team. He showed his "class" by trashing Wilson and her family, calling her father a manipulative parent that would be controlling behind the scenes (outside of people directly involved within the program, most of Gamecock Nation doesn't even know what Wilson's parents look like, and Wilson Sr. doesn't own any social accounts), and that A'ja was an attention-seeking spoiled diva that didn't take to coaching.

This was only a small sample size of the "class" I would experience with this poster and other UConn posters on the other site, and most of them (plus a few fans of other programs) not only also post here, but also participated in the thread trashing Wilson. All because a teenager didn't choose their program. That was some of the very first experiences I had of UConn fanbase "CLASS".....

Again, how about THAT dope? NOW we move on.....

http://collegefansonly.net/thread/12000/aja-wilson-who-select
You picked the wrong thread as her signing was universally panned as the dog and pony show it was akin to the Labron fiasco. I think the analogy was how that Stewart signed hers humbly, simply without fanfare on the hood of a car. That is how a four time MVP does it - no comparison. She and you brought it on yourselves with your hubris. You came in flaming and got burnt badly, numerous times and ran away. Now it is done.

No one panned the announcement except a handful of pathetic butthurt UConn and Tennessee message board posters. You won't find any evidence of it like I can easily find evidence of your pettiness. Still doesn't change the fact of you lecturing another poster on how to post with "class" when you have no problem trashing a high school teenager making the most important decision of her young life, and you obviously still proudly stand by it to this day. You make my job of showing how pitiful a person you are so easy for me....thanks for that....

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/17 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The first six minutes of this game could be dispositive.

I think my first observation in this thread was predictive. Nothing special. It's often true in big, closely matched games, or defensive games. If one team gets into an early scoring hole, they have to spend a lot of time and energy getting out of it.

UConn was down 15-8 after six minutes and 29-13 after about six more minutes. And they didn't have the offensive game plan, rebounding, offensive execution, or shooting luck to go on sufficiently big or sustained runs against Shaefer's defense.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/02/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
blah blah

blah blah back

I'm not a moderator (thank God) but can tell you that IMO this BS should stop NOW and not ten posts from now. Neither of you needs to get the last word in....Really! Let's just move on. You don't like each other. fine. Just ignore the other's posts from now on.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

Last edited by WNBA 09 on 04/02/17 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/02/17 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

First off, I'm certain I follow WCB more closely than you. Secondly, you seem to pay as much attention to this thread as you do WCB.

You should get that UCONN hatred in check cuz it seems to have boggled your mind. Let's review Pg 1 http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=91435&start=0 of this thread:

ME:

The Bulldogs are a year wiser and have experienced UConn's intensity. They get to play on a neutral court and the Top 3 W picks are long gone.

With McCowan's dramatic improvement, William's scoring explosion and leadership, VV's shooting coming around, aggressive defense led by Dillingham and lots of size and depth, this will be a competitive game, imo.

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

ME:

As Geno said (starts at 17:00) in the postgame, this is the same team we beat last year, but it's not the same team. I think Vic should have been COY.

ME:

Re: excuses- I haven't heard, or read, any excuse from anyone. Is this more hate-warped imagination/memory?

Can you quit coming after every poster who wants to think this was the greatest upset in history? No one needs your approval nor did i ask.Not reading your crybaby rant and not arguing with you About who follows closer blah blah your not the most experienced wcbb follower and neither am i. Your a poster with a fork up your butt over a game you didnt even play in. Hush 🌎 carry on. Miss State was and is the better team thus why thet have a nati date in about 10 minutes. Have a blessed day hope you feel better

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ME:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

ME:

ME:

Can you quit coming after every poster who wants to think this was the greatest upset in history? No one needs your approval nor did i ask.Not reading your crybaby rant and not arguing with you About who follows closer blah blah your not the most experienced wcbb follower and neither am i. Your a poster with a fork up your butt over a game you didnt even play in. Hush 🌎 carry on. Miss State was and is the better team thus why thet have a nati date in about 10 minutes. Have a blessed day hope you feel better

When hit with truth and facts, you fold. Cool.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ME:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

ME:

ME:

When hit with truth and facts, you fold. Cool.

The only truth & fact i know is Mississippi State Made history. Uconn is home thinking of what could have been. They will get more natis im. Sure but let the fans enjoy someone else dethroning those guys and owning WCBB for change. Tennesseee and Uconn own WCBB time for some new blood. As for folding the only fold i witnessed was from those huskies in OT . Laughing

PostPosted: 04/02/17 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:
the "rule" on flagrant fouls has to have a little wiggle room in it...incidental contact especially while defending with no intent whatsoever has to get a pass....

it wasn't a chop, or a slam, or a hard hit...it was a nothing....

and maybe, flopping should be looked at as a foul itself....

There was a lot about that contact that didn't look right. I wondered if maybe KLS was lifting the arm of Dillingham. Given the height difference, I can't figure out why Dillingham would even have her arm that high (5'9"-6'3"). You lose all of your power when you raise it that high. Doesn't make sense.

Now to the review. The contact occurred around :55 seconds to go. UConn got possession with :35 seconds to go. They called TO at :27 and that's when the review happened. There needs to be a way to review it sooner. (Actually it needs to be called when it happened. Two of the refs appeared to be looking right at it.)

If UConn wants a review, they shouldn't be allowed to continue play (when they got the ball at :35 seconds) and then call for a review :8 later.

Give Dillingham credit, she did look back a couple of times to, I'll assume, if she was OK. Also looked like the one ref did as well.

I just don't like that if UConn had made a basket in addition to the free throws, that MSST would have less time to score than they would have if the call had been made at the time that it happened. Seems like it really puts a team at a disadvantage and that's not officiating is supposed to do.

And I thought that :20 seconds was a long time to go back and make a call! A day later, and LPGA player is assessed 4 penalty strokes!!! Because of an at home viewer. That is so messed up. Just think what would happen if bball fans could call in and have calls corrected?

http://golfweek.com/2017/04/02/lexi-thompson-loses-lead-4-stroke-penalty-day-later-ana-inspiration/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
blah blah

blah blah back

I'm not a moderator (thank God) but can tell you that IMO this BS should stop NOW and not ten posts from now. Neither of you needs to get the last word in....Really! Let's just move on. You don't like each other. fine. Just ignore the other's posts from now on.

Myrtle, I have always respected your opinion very much but why are you singling us out when right on this thread there are others doing the exact same thing and on other threads as well. We are not the first and by reading other threads will hardly be the last. I also have been on the board today posting on other threads and if you noticed before you posted this you would see my last response was at a 7pm yesterday when I said done and meant it. I did not respond to his last post today nor did I plan to. Like I did with his, I shall you leave your post here but out of my respect for you and move on.

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want anyone to think I'm in hiding or anything. Congrats to Mississippi State on a great game plan. I thought they would win and I was correct. What a shot by William!

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/03/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Oldfandepot2"][quote="myrtle"][quote="Conway Gamecock"][quote="Oldfandepot2"]blah blah[/quote]

blah blah back[/quote]

I'm not a moderator (thank God) but can tell you that IMO this BS should stop NOW and not ten posts from now. Neither of you needs to get the last word in....Really! Let's just move on. You don't like each other. fine. Just ignore the other's posts from now on.[/quote]

Myrtle, I have always respected your opinion very much but why are you singling us out when right on this thread there are others doing the exact same thing and on other threads as well. We are not the first and by reading other threads will hardly be the last. I also have been on the board today posting on other threads and if you noticed before you posted this you would see my last response was at a 7pm yesterday when I said done and meant it. I did not respond to his last post today nor did I plan to. Like I did with his, I shall you leave your post here but out of my respect for you and move on.[/quote]

Because they are just sounding as bitter as some of the ND fans etc. there are very few who can watch the game and appreciate the game for itself without making biased jealous comments. It is a real shame and people wonder why the W doesn't get the respect it should, well some of it can be seen on this board through petty comments trashing players just because some fans resent winning teams. I always wondered why people used the word Bitch, but when you read some of the comments on this board it can be explained. No even handed debates, just flat out jealous, poison, rhetoric by the same posters.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/03/17 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:
the "rule" on flagrant fouls has to have a little wiggle room in it...incidental contact especially while defending with no intent whatsoever has to get a pass....

There was a lot about that contact that didn't look right. I wondered if maybe KLS was lifting the arm of Dillingham. Given the height difference, I can't figure out why Dillingham would even have her arm that high (5'9"-6'3"). You lose all of your power when you raise it that high. Doesn't make sense.

Now to the review. The contact occurred around :55 seconds to go. UConn got possession with :35 seconds to go. They called TO at :27 and that's when the review happened. There needs to be a way to review it sooner. (Actually it needs to be called when it happened. Two of the refs appeared to be looking right at it.)

If UConn wants a review, they shouldn't be allowed to continue play (when they got the ball at :35 seconds) and then call for a review :8 later.

Give Dillingham credit, she did look back a couple of times to, I'll assume, if she was OK. Also looked like the one ref did as well.

I just don't like that if UConn had made a basket in addition to the free throws, that MSST would have less time to score than they would have if the call had been made at the time that it happened. Seems like it really puts a team at a disadvantage and that's not officiating is supposed to do.

That was what confused me . All the time on the clock counted . It was actually almost 30 seconds from when the incident occurred until the timeout was called at 26.6 seconds and then they decided to review it . MSU missed a three-pointer with that possession . What if they had made it . I assume it would have counted , since the clock time counted . Then you go back and call a foul from earlier in the game . That's screwed up .

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:

That was what confused me . All the time on the clock counted . It was actually almost 30 seconds from when the incident occurred until the timeout was called at 26.6 seconds and then they decided to review it . MSU missed a three-pointer with that possession . What if they had made it . I assume it would have counted , since the clock time counted . Then you go back and call a foul from earlier in the game . That's screwed up .

You need to read Rule 11-2.1.d.2, which concerns when officials can make a delayed flagrant foul call, and the new Rule 11-2.1.d.3, which concerns what happens to play that transpired during the delay.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
blah blah

blah blah back

Myrtle, I have always respected your opinion very much but why are you singling us out when right on this thread there are others doing the exact same thing and on other threads as well. We are not the first and by reading other threads will hardly be the last. I also have been on the board today posting on other threads and if you noticed before you posted this you would see my last response was at a 7pm yesterday when I said done and meant it. I did not respond to his last post today nor did I plan to. Like I did with his, I shall you leave your post here but out of my respect for you and move on.

Because they are just sounding as bitter as some of the ND fans etc. there are very few who can watch the game and appreciate the game for itself without making biased jealous comments. It is a real shame and people wonder why the W doesn't get the respect it should, well some of it can be seen on this board through petty comments trashing players just because some fans resent winning teams. I always wondered why people used the word Bitch, but when you read some of the comments on this board it can be explained. No even handed debates, just flat out jealous, poison, rhetoric by the same posters.

You make a very good point, and your words point a light towards certain targets. There is a difference between ENVY and JEALOUSY. You refer to jealousy: envy is obsessing over something someone else has, and wanting it for yourself. Jealousy is obsessing over WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE, and fearing that others will take it AWAY FROM YOU.

What started the argument I've had in this thread, was a post I made that someone else didn't like, where I tell the UConn team to "sit yo ass down", more or less. No player, no several players, but the team: the program, the entire UConn WCBB empire that has been winning everything for so long...

I imagine quite a lot of fans who are NOT UConn fans were (and are) feeling very similar feelings as I was Friday night. But I didn't single out a particular player. I would like ANYONE to find a single post of mine on this board since I started posting, where I trash a WCBB player. Any player, for anything. I do not do that, because that is nothing short of petty, small, and obnoxious.

But during my brief experiences since South Carolina starting becoming a prominent program in WCBB under CDS, I have seen an unusual number of posters who have regularly trashed Staley, trashed Wilson among other USC players on message boards like this. This site has held a substantial number of such posts. And the VAST majority of those posts have been made by UConn fans. Not all of them, but a large and very vocal number of them, as far as sports message boards go. And many of them are regular posters right here on this board.

Fans of a program that has had the sport in such a stranglehold of success and domination over the years for so long, one would think they'd be way too happy about their own achievements to notice the odd year when another program wins. But no.

There are several threads on The Boneyard where several posters are mirroring each other, saying about A'ja Wilson that they have no idea why she is "despised", "hated", "trashed", "put down" etc. by the UConn posters all the time, when she is nothing but the sweetest, nicest person anyone would ever have the pleasure to meet, and just won the greatest accomplishment one can at this level. Those posters ask this because on The Boneyard among other sites, she HAS been despised, trashed, and put down her entire college career. And Staley has been trashed as a coach, and other USC players as well. Kaela Davis when she transferred to USC and became eligible to play, was trashed by UConn AND Tennessee fans. It goes on and on....

UConn fans who's team has won and won and won, taking the time to do that towards ANY other team - towards other college players - and USC isn't the only team: they've done that toward's Duke, towards UNC before they had all the players leave, towards pretty much ANY other WCBB team that shows the hint of rising up and challenging them for the throne. And lets not get started with how they perceive Tennessee!!

That's not envy - that's jealousy. And it's pretty pathetic.....

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:

You need to read Rule 11-2.1.d.2, which concerns when officials can make a delayed flagrant foul call, and the new Rule 11-2.1.d.3, which concerns what happens to play that transpired during the delay.

I'm assuming they got it right according to the rules . It's the rule itself that I think is screwed up .

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/17 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
blah blah

blah blah back

You make a very good point, and your words point a light towards certain targets. There is a difference between ENVY and JEALOUSY. You refer to jealousy: envy is obsessing over something someone else has, and wanting it for yourself. Jealousy is obsessing over WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE, and fearing that others will take it AWAY FROM YOU.

What started the argument I've had in this thread, was a post I made that someone else didn't like, where I tell the UConn team to "sit yo ass down", more or less. No player, no several players, but the team: the program, the entire UConn WCBB empire that has been winning everything for so long...

I imagine quite a lot of fans who are NOT UConn fans were (and are) feeling very similar feelings as I was Friday night. But I didn't single out a particular player. I would like ANYONE to find a single post of mine on this board since I started posting, where I trash a WCBB player. Any player, for anything. I do not do that, because that is nothing short of petty, small, and obnoxious.

But during my brief experiences since South Carolina starting becoming a prominent program in WCBB under CDS, I have seen an unusual number of posters who have regularly trashed Staley, trashed Wilson among other USC players on message boards like this. This site has held a substantial number of such posts. And the VAST majority of those posts have been made by UConn fans. Not all of them, but a large and very vocal number of them, as far as sports message boards go. And many of them are regular posters right here on this board.

Fans of a program that has had the sport in such a stranglehold of success and domination over the years for so long, one would think they'd be way too happy about their own achievements to notice the odd year when another program wins. But no.

There are several threads on The Boneyard where several posters are mirroring each other, saying about A'ja Wilson that they have no idea why she is "despised", "hated", "trashed", "put down" etc. by the UConn posters all the time, when she is nothing but the sweetest, nicest person anyone would ever have the pleasure to meet, and just won the greatest accomplishment one can at this level. Those posters ask this because on The Boneyard among other sites, she HAS been despised, trashed, and put down her entire college career. And Staley has been trashed as a coach, and other USC players as well. Kaela Davis when she transferred to USC and became eligible to play, was trashed by UConn AND Tennessee fans. It goes on and on....

UConn fans who's team has won and won and won, taking the time to do that towards ANY other team - towards other college players - and USC isn't the only team: they've done that toward's Duke, towards UNC before they had all the players leave, towards pretty much ANY other WCBB team that shows the hint of rising up and challenging them for the throne. And lets not get started with how they perceive Tennessee!!

That's when you know your school/program are BIG TIME!

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
blah blah

blah blah back

That's when you know your school/program are BIG TIME!

When UConn fans trash your players, coaches, fanbase, school, and whatever else they can think up? There was a poster on another board (I think he/she posts here too) that once made fun of USC's WCBB program because of a game ticket package deal one season that included hot dogs and soda in the deal.

I mean, really. How childish does it go? Who would even take the time to go look something like that up, just so they can make fun of it?? I would rather focus on other, more mature indicators of reaching the big time. Those things just make the "BIG TIME" look pitifully small......

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/03/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:

I'm assuming they got it right according to the rules . It's the rule itself that I think is screwed up .

I wasn't familiar with the two rules, they're worded kind of awkwardly, and it's sort of complicated. The gist is that refs can go to the monitor to call a flagrant (1 or 2) foul they may have missed, but they basically have to wait until the next dead ball to do it. The new rule says that if they declare a flagrant foul retroactively: "Any previous activity before the monitor review shall not be canceled or nullified." Presumably, this could even include points scored.

I have no comment on whether there was a flop or not, or whether that should influence the original touching as flagrant or not.
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/04/17 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:

I wasn't familiar with the two rules, they're worded kind of awkwardly, and it's sort of complicated. The gist is that refs can go to the monitor to call a flagrant (1 or 2) foul they may have missed, but they basically have to wait until the next dead ball to do it. The new rule says that if they declare a flagrant foul retroactively: "Any previous activity before the monitor review shall not be canceled or nullified." Presumably, this could even include points scored.

I have no comment on whether there was a flop or not, or whether that should influence the original touching as flagrant or not.

So what if they look at the review and decide it should have been a foul but it was not a flagrant foul ? Do they ignore it since it wasn't flagrant ?

I don't like anything done retroactively . The strategy of teams might have been different if they had known a flagrant foul occurred . Are we going to get into golf territory eventually . Some guy calls up from home and says "Hey, you missed a flagrant foul at the 4 minute mark . Better go back and check it ."

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:

So what if they look at the review and decide it should have been a foul but it was not a flagrant foul ? Do they ignore it since it wasn't flagrant ?

I don't like anything done retroactively . The strategy of teams might have been different if they had known a flagrant foul occurred . Are we going to get into golf territory eventually . Some guy calls up from home and says "Hey, you missed a flagrant foul at the 4 minute mark . Better go back and check it ."

Well, I'm now having to study these rules, but I don't mind, since that was my profession.

Essentially, there are rules for voluntary video replays so refs can retroactively catch flagrant fouls or fights that they may have missed when the initial contact actually happened. The refs have to do the review within a certain time window: basically, at the next dead ball -- not earlier, not later.

They can't call a common foul by this retroactive video review, only flagrants and fights.

If they do the video review and don't see a flagrant foul or a fight, the game just goes on from where and when it was stopped.

If they do see a flagrant foul on the video review, we get what happened in this game. The fouled team gets free throws and possession of the ball where and when they last had it.

A coach can also call for a video review for flagrants or fights within the same time window. If the refs don't call a flagrant or fight foul, the coach loses a timeout.

The whole procedure seems geared toward extra protections and penalties for extreme contact fouls, punches and fights -- and to make sure that the refs don't accidentally miss this kind of extreme contact if video review equipment is available.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: