RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Mississippi St
66%
 66%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/17 11:30 pm    ::: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament National Championship
Dallas, TX - 6:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Dave O’Brien & Doris Burke; Kara Lawson)

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/

Live stats:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-women/d1/2017/04/02/south-carolina-mississippi-st

1-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/31/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two non traditional teams in the finals. Hometown kid Wilson spurs all the powers for local South Carolina. MS Native Victoria Vivians passes up a bunch of big offers to go to rebuilding MSU. Now both teams are in the finals.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/01/17 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think either team could win so I am not picking!

Howee

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta go with Vic here. Can't see him losing 3 in a row to SC.

Despite her higher 'profile' in coaching, Vic has paid his coaching dues for a longer time than Dawn. They each have Enough Good Pieces to win, but I'm thinking his coaching will outshine hers.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bulldogs by 17+

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/01/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Psychologically, who is worse off? MSU beats UConn, so much hype around it, almost as if people think they have done the biggest thing possible. Let down game for them?

Or is it South Carolina, probably happy they don't have to face UConn, which could sort of indirectly have them underestimating MSU because they are "happy" to face them.

The last time someone beat UConn, it was Stanford, and the very next game they lost to Texas. Is MSU due for a let down game? That year they lost 10 games, losing to teams like Chattanooga as well, so its almost like once you beat UConn maybe its different being treated as the hunted instead of the hunter.

lvf08

PostPosted: 04/01/17 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see SC win but will be happy either way.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/01/17 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natty features two great coaches who late in the season made key adjustments to drive their respective teams to n'er before reached tournament heights. Game up for grabs, the way it should be.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/01/17 8:34 am    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17 Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

can we vote on replacements for these three??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/01/17 11:05 am    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17 Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

without UConn there, at least the slobber won't be so redundant.

- Amanda Gorman
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/01/17 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My mind says USC and my heart says MSU...

Will be happy for either.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/01/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19029839/kaela-davis-out-for-championship-game

Quote:
While celebrating Mississippi State's improbable win over Connecticut, Kaela Davis severely sprained her posterior cruciate ligament in her right knee.

Quote:
"I want to apologize to my coach. I want to apologize to my teammates. And lastly, I want to our incredible fans. I'm sorry. Done one too many backflips."

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC winning the NC minus Coates would be Laughing Laughing Laughing

Huskie

PostPosted: 04/01/17 1:53 pm    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17 Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:

without UConn there, at least the slobber won't be so redundant.

PREACH!

PostPosted: 04/01/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic Schaefer calls A'ja Wilson "the best player in the country."

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/17 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19029839/kaela-davis-out-for-championship-game

Quote:
While celebrating Mississippi State's improbable win over Connecticut, Kaela Davis severely sprained her posterior cruciate ligament in her right knee.

Quote:
"I want to apologize to my coach. I want to apologize to my teammates. And lastly, I want to our incredible fans. I'm sorry. Done one too many backflips."

Putting April Fools jokes in game threads is not funny.

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 04/01/17 3:52 pm    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina vs #2 Mississippi St - 4/02/17 Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
....without UConn there, at least the slobber won't be so redundant.

Don't hold your breath! We should take bets (or at least run a poll) on how many times we'll see a replay--with analysis--of the Flagrant 1 foul on KLS that (didn't quite) change the course of history.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In both games this year, South Carolina basically had 2 players do most of the scoring. If MSU can make some of SC's less offensively talented players beat them, then they can pull it off.

In game 1, Wilson and Gray combined for 43 of 64 points, or 67%.
In game 2, Wilson and Davis combined for 38 of 59 points, or 64%.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of posters, pundits and ESPN slobberers will apply, possibly to their peril, emotionally transitive logic: UConn beat South Carolina, Mississippi State beat "unbeatable" UConn (in vividly recent memory), and therefore Mississippi State should beat South Carolina.

I don't know who'll win, but I think I'm rooting for the Bulldogs, so I'll vote for them with my heart if not my head.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Psychologically, who is worse off? MSU beats UConn, so much hype around it, almost as if people think they have done the biggest thing possible. Let down game for them?

Or is it South Carolina, probably happy they don't have to face UConn, which could sort of indirectly have them underestimating MSU because they are "happy" to face them.

And SC beat them twice, so add in the "thrice-in-a-season" angle.

We'll never know what it was, but whichever fits the game result will be applied as gospel.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I think a lot of posters, pundits and ESPN slobberers will apply, possibly to their peril, emotionally transitive logic: UConn beat South Carolina, Mississippi State beat "unbeatable" UConn (in vividly recent memory), and therefore Mississippi State should beat South Carolina.

I don't know who'll win, but I think I'm rooting for the Bulldogs, so I'll vote for them with my heart if not my head.

South Carolina beat MSU twice this year, why even bother looking at common opponents when head to head is available? I'd be surprised if its mentioned much.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 04/01/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

The last time someone beat UConn, it was Stanford, and the very next game they lost to Texas. Is MSU due for a let down game? That year they lost 10 games, losing to teams like Chattanooga as well, so its almost like once you beat UConn maybe its different being treated as the hunted instead of the hunter.

I wouldn't generalize too much from Stanford's win that time. It was very early in the season with young players on the UConn squad facing a less talented but more experienced Stanford team. Stanford hit a last second shot to send it to overtime, and showed more poise in the OT period. I don't think winning that game suddenly turned Stanford into "the hunted" and caused them to lose 10 games over the rest of the season. The reality is that Stanford was a good but not great team that year.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

South Carolina beat MSU twice this year, why even bother looking at common opponents when head to head is available? I'd be surprised if its mentioned much.

2011 - UConn defeated Notre Dame three times during the regular season and BE tourney. Notre Dame defeated UConn in final four.

2013 - Notre Dame defeated UConn three times during the regular season and BE tourney. UConn defeated Notre Dame in final four.

I just don't think prior results mean much at this stage of play.

And I think Miss St. is playing dramatically different basketball in the tournament than they played all year.

Far more telling to me is that Miss St. just beat DePaul, Washington, Baylor and UConn in succession. That's a heck of a lot more impressive than ASU, Quinnipiac, FSU and Stanford. If Miss St can beat Baylor and UConn, they can certainly beat S.Car. regardless of what happened in the teams' previous encounters.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/02/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I really haven't paid anywhere close to the attention to women's or men's college hoops this year that I used to, I would kind of like to see South Carolina win tonight's game.

Simple reason being Dawn Staley. When I first started watching women's hoops, my favorite team was Virginia with Staley, Tammi Reiss, the Burge sisters and my personal favorite, Dena Evans.

With no real interest of fandom in the teams themselves this year, tying back into the start of my women's hoops fandom would be a nice kind of full circle thing.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/02/17 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
USC winning the NC minus Coates would be Laughing Laughing Laughing

Coates didn't play in SC's second victory over MSU in the SEC tourney, and she wasn't the biggest factor in their earlier season win. MSU isn't going to be able to contain Wilson anyway, and the game is likely to depend on how well Gray and Davis play. Either way, it's sad for Coates to miss this FF after her significant contributions to the success of the SC program.

This will be the first time in several years that I plan to watch the entirety of the NC game. This will be much more engaging with a new national champion than a UConn foregone-conclusion smackdown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: