RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina vs #2 Stanford - 3/31/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chop, chop, chop... got some tree to fell

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bright side for Stanford is that Smith has looked really really good late in the season. She is going to be a good one for them.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats SC.

grats to SC. way to persevere. I think the trees exceeded all expectations this year. And I love ms. Gray. She's one of my favorite players. gl next game.

- Amanda Gorman
lvf08

Congrats SC

Luuuc
#NATC

Congrats SC.

Fuck you, ESPN Australia for showing us zero minutes of this scheduled game Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to South Carolina! Losing Coates and going all the way to the championship. Interestingly enough I thought fellow Pac 12 school Arizona State had a better game vs. SC than Stanford, and AZ State had to do it on SC's home court. Granted Samuelson was hurt tonight but I think rebounding was one area Arizona St did better than Stanford.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=19048948&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
BelloFratello

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are they already previewing UConn-South Carolina? What the heck ESPN? Now I want Mississippi State to win even more. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Neither UConn nor Mississippi State like this result. They both would have rather played Stanford.
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford lost its floor general, its glue, its leader. The one player they could not afford to lose, they lost. The result was inevitable.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MY ladies! The fouls against them didn't stop them, the beating that Wilson took didn't stop them, Davis with a bad game didn't stop them. I am so proud of them and their Freshman point guard ain't bad either!!

Congratulations Gamecocks, now on to the next game.

Congrat's to Dawn for finally beating Tara. Wonder what all those who said Dawn couldn't coach think now.

Last edited by bballgrl on 03/31/17 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Stanford lost its floor general, its glue, its leader. The one player they could not afford to lose, they lost. The result was inevitable.

One player cannot win a game, it takes several players being good at different things. Davis did not have a good night and they lost Coats but the team pulled together and got the win!

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Neither UConn nor Mississippi State like this result. They both would have rather played Stanford.

If they make it to the final game, I don't think UCONN, considering who they played this year, cares who they play just as long as they are playing,

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

One player cannot win a game, it takes several players being good at different things. Davis did not have a good night and they lost Coats but the team pulled together and got the win!

Stanford relies heavily on Samuelson as Andy Landers pointed out more than any other player. She went out, they lost. So it goes.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad, but Stanford finally gets the other end of the injury bug since they lucked out against ND with no Turner. Congrats to SC.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/31/17 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Bright side for Stanford is that Smith has looked really really good late in the season. She is going to be a good one for them.

true.Our post presence is going to be a bit thin next year but we have a highly rated tall wing coming in who I'm hoping will be able to play some minutes in the post to spell Johnson and Smith (and Fingall). And hoping Sniezak and McPhee work on their three shooting. They both looked like they had lost all confidence in their shots. Tara has given Carrington a few (very few) minutes which I think means she will get some guard minutes next year. And we have a highly rated PG coming in - hopefully this one works out as well. We'll be ok, but not sure about better.

- Amanda Gorman
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 03/31/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

true.Our post presence is going to be a bit thin next year but we have a highly rated tall wing coming in who I'm hoping will be able to play some minutes in the post to spell Johnson and Smith (and Fingall). And hoping Sniezak and McPhee work on their three shooting. They both looked like they had lost all confidence in their shots. Tara has given Carrington a few (very few) minutes which I think means she will get some guard minutes next year. And we have a highly rated PG coming in - hopefully this one works out as well. We'll be ok, but not sure about better.

Kudos to your Cardinals Myrtle. You have much to be proud of now as you will, I am sure, in the future, which as always looks very bright.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Stanford relies heavily on Samuelson as Andy Landers pointed out more than any other player. She went out, they lost. So it goes.

Samuelson is only their 3rd-leading scorer. About the biggest impact losing her would be for the team is she is their top 3-pt threat and by far their most prolific shooter from behind the arc. I can see Stanford losing their dynamic from 3-pt range by losing her, but Coates was USC's leading rebounder and biggest inside presence, as well as their #2 scorer at the time she was lost from a roster that was already thin in post players even with her.

Dawn Staley adjusted by developing a guard-oriented lineup that was arguably considered even more effective offensively as the lineup with Coates, although the team rebounding suffered substantially. The big blow here was in Stanford losing Samuelson in mid-game with so much on the line: at least USC had some practice days to prepare for the Post-Coates days, although what lay ahead was only the SECT and NCAAT games, so those weren't chopped liver.

IMO the game represented a gameplan from Stanford that was effective for the first half, and an adjustment at halftime from USC that effectively countered that gameplan. Stanford wasn't able to make a counter-adjustment to USC's adjustment, and USC ran away with the game in the 2nd half out-scoring Stanford 42-24.

Some quality coaching from Coach Staley and her staff.......

Howee

PostPosted: 03/31/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Decent game, overall. Stanford played brilliantly in Half One, and SC got tough in Half 2.

Stanford's bigs played better than I've seen in a while, and the young Aussie is a force to be reckoned with--future Lauren?? Shocked The Opals have some fine young talent, I'd say, with kids like Smith and Kristy Wallace.

PostPosted: 03/31/17 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to South Carolina.

Stanford has some good kids returning in Sniezek, McPhee, Alanna Smith.

Thanks to Erica McCall, Karlie Samuelson and Bri Roberson for 4 amazing years. Two final fours, an elite eight and sweet 16 finish. Not bad

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/01/17 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Samuelson is only their 3rd-leading scorer. About the biggest impact losing her would be for the team is she is their top 3-pt threat and by far their most prolific shooter from behind the arc. I can see Stanford losing their dynamic from 3-pt range by losing her, but Coates was USC's leading rebounder and biggest inside presence, as well as their #2 scorer at the time she was lost from a roster that was already thin in post players even with her.

Dawn Staley adjusted by developing a guard-oriented lineup that was arguably considered even more effective offensively as the lineup with Coates, although the team rebounding suffered substantially. The big blow here was in Stanford losing Samuelson in mid-game with so much on the line: at least USC had some practice days to prepare for the Post-Coates days, although what lay ahead was only the SECT and NCAAT games, so those weren't chopped liver.

IMO the game represented a gameplan from Stanford that was effective for the first half, and an adjustment at halftime from USC that effectively countered that gameplan. Stanford wasn't able to make a counter-adjustment to USC's adjustment, and USC ran away with the game in the 2nd half out-scoring Stanford 42-24.

Samuelson was the best three point shooter in the country so her offense opened up the floor for the rest of the team. Dawn to her credit realized with her out, they adjusted, squeezed the other players and shut down the offense which stagnated without Samuelson.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Samuelson was the best three point shooter in the country so her offense opened up the floor for the rest of the team. Dawn to her credit realized with her out, they adjusted, squeezed the other players and shut down the offense which stagnated without Samuelson.

That might matter more if Samuelson was leading the team in scoring during the time she was in, was bombing threes from all over the court and was a big-impact player for Stanford - and then went down with her injury.

I understand what her potential meant to the team, as a deadly 3-pt shooter, but her "offense" wasn't opening up anything: she was in the game for some 15:28 minutes before rolling her ankle, and accounted for two missed 3-pt shot attempts and nothing more. She wasn't much of a factor at all before getting hurt, and the score was 21-15 Stanford when she left the game...

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/01/17 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

That might matter more if Samuelson was leading the team in scoring during the time she was in, was bombing threes from all over the court and was a big-impact player for Stanford - and then went down with her injury.

I understand what her potential meant to the team, as a deadly 3-pt shooter, but her "offense" wasn't opening up anything: she was in the game for some 15:28 minutes before rolling her ankle, and accounted for two missed 3-pt shot attempts and nothing more. She wasn't much of a factor at all before getting hurt, and the score was 21-15 Stanford when she left the game...
Stanford was up with her in there says it all, as she must be guarded. What Dawn is thinking, I leave her open as she not hitting, hell no, she knew what Karlie meant to the Cardinals. She was there rudder, their catalyst and without her, they became stagnant. Dawn, as a good coach does, capitalized on her absence and won.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ugly game. the P12 specializes in ugly.

The conference that specializes in playing basketball lying on the floor. Razz Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: