Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/29/17 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where do you have BJones going? Hopefully not SEA

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/17 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

j-spoon, you really think B. Jones won't go in the top 14?

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/29/17 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crap, no I screwed up when I mentioned B. Jones in the Dallas pick of Coates I somehow thought I had her as a pick, back to the drawing board.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/29/17 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I just don't see DC taking Osahor at 6. I think she will still be there at 12. I'm not sure she is a fit for any team, but the Lynx do seem like the best possible fit for her.

I think she'd really struggle to get on the floor for a Cheryl Reeve team purely due to the defensive end.

As usual with the Lynx, the most likely use of the pick is probably trading it for a player already in the league. Assuming they can find any takers.

PostPosted: 03/30/17 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was trying to redo my mock and got frustrated so I thought I'd take it in another direction

tiers of talent where I think player from this draft will be in the third year in the W

All-stars
no one

Starters/borderline starter 24+minutes a night
Deshields
Plum

Moderate rotation 15-23 minutes a night
Coates
SWK
Epps
Coffey
B. Jones
A. Jones
Allen

Light rotation 8-15 minutes a night
Osahor
McCall
Cooper
Jankoska
A. Prince

End of bench/last cuts in training camp roster spot 11-13
Romero
Peterson
Weiss
Ankhator
Sykes
Davis

Last edited by J-Spoon on 03/30/17 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/17 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Osahor is underrated defensively. Maybe she's not overly defensive when she's expected to play near 40 minutes like she frequently did with WAS. She's gotta stay out of foul trouble and conserve energy. As the 5th post of the Lynx, she'll be just fine. Have you ever seen an unsuspecting guard dribble too close to Osahor? I've seen her poke the ball away and lead a break more than once.

The Lynx are all vetted up. They gotta have some cheaper new blood come in, so I'm not expecting a trade of the #12 pick for a vet. But I wouldn't mind using that #12 as part of a Banham trade. Still holding out for that dream.

I think it's somewhat telling that the Lynx haven't signed their floaters yet. It seems they want to see how the draft unfolds first.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sammieee

PostPosted: 03/30/17 3:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Randy wrote:
It certainly would seem pretty unusual for an American college player to get selected No. 1 or 2 in the WNBA draft and not have even been an All American honourable mention. Excluding foreign players, I wonder if it has ever happened before.

The potential number 1or 2 pick in this year's NBA draft is 6-4 combo guardMarkelle Fultz. His Washington team went 9-22 and he was a third team AP All-American. Which is worse, Diamond being Top 2 pick despite not being an All-American, or Markelle being a Top 2 pick who played on a losing team?

Drafting for men is different because you are drafting 18-19 year old, very raw athletes. Men also can continue to grow much later than females, so, they are drafting more on potential. Same reason why you will rarely see a college Senior being drafted in the Top 5. They are considered close to finish products.

If you are drafting a 22 year old WBB player on potential, better hope its someone who started playing basketball very late (Sancho Lyttle for example didn't start till like she was 16 or 17..I think...or even older), and not someone who has been playing since a kid in AAU, etc.

Diamond is still interesting. She looked like a future superstar her freshman year at UNC, and has shown flashes of it. Is it bad coaching? Or did she really peak at 18-19? Some players peak early and don't improve much afterwards. Since females body mature earlier, unless they drastically change their bodies, not sure there are many examples of someone with great potential and they actually reach it (I guess Deanna Nolan?).

Randy

PostPosted: 03/30/17 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
OK so a no Mitchell mock to #14

1. SA Deshields fits better with Jefferson and McBride future starter at SF, the future might even be now
2. Chi Plum can start off backing up Cappie and Sloot, Quigley just lost what was left of her minutes
3. Dallas Coates the Wings need Coates defense more than B. Jones offense
4. Dallas SWK seems like a perfect backup for Christmas and Powers
5. SA A. Jones can back up Jefferson and McBride
6. Was Coffey mis and match with EDD in front court off the bench
7. Atl Epps big guard who can get her own shot with NBA dad will appeal to Copper
8. Conn A. Peterson combo guard to back up the 1 and the 2
9. Chi Weiss I think Chi is maxed out with the #2 pick but Weiss can technically play 3 positions even if she has to be a SF in the W and might just make the 12th spot as designated shooter
10. Dallas McCall mobile, can play PF behind GloJo gets tourny bounce
11. LA Allen solid back up PG good defender I could see Agler liking her, it will be hard fro anyone taken at 11 to make the Sparks roster
12. Minny Osahor good fit with McCarville minutes maybe too risky to go higher

13. Conn S. Chong why not? watch her get the 12 spot over Peterson and Faris, got to keep those UConn fans happy, and Chong can be the cheaper version of a fan favorite giving you a steady back up, back up PG. Kind of joking but only a little if not here then the next pick for Conn at 16
14. NY A. Prince she is rising up the boards but if she is still there I could see BL taking a shot, she could even be that 12th roster spot beating out someone I'm assuming makes the team ATM

I would just put B. Jones at 5 and A. Jones at 7 moving Epps to round 2 (13?) and I think you have a pretty good Mock.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/30/17 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown recently tweeted that she had been accepted to a graduate program at Duke.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/17 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
OK so a no Mitchell mock to #14

1. SA Deshields fits better with Jefferson and McBride future starter at SF, the future might even be now
2. Chi Plum can start off backing up Cappie and Sloot, Quigley just lost what was left of her minutes
3. Dallas Coates the Wings need Coates defense more than B. Jones offense
4. Dallas SWK seems like a perfect backup for Christmas and Powers
5. SA A. Jones can back up Jefferson and McBride
6. Was Coffey mis and match with EDD in front court off the bench
7. Atl Epps big guard who can get her own shot with NBA dad will appeal to Copper
8. Conn A. Peterson combo guard to back up the 1 and the 2
9. Chi Weiss I think Chi is maxed out with the #2 pick but Weiss can technically play 3 positions even if she has to be a SF in the W and might just make the 12th spot as designated shooter
10. Dallas McCall mobile, can play PF behind GloJo gets tourny bounce
11. LA Allen solid back up PG good defender I could see Agler liking her, it will be hard fro anyone taken at 11 to make the Sparks roster
12. Minny Osahor good fit with McCarville minutes maybe too risky to go higher

13. Conn S. Chong why not? watch her get the 12 spot over Peterson and Faris, got to keep those UConn fans happy, and Chong can be the cheaper version of a fan favorite giving you a steady back up, back up PG. Kind of joking but only a little if not here then the next pick for Conn at 16
14. NY A. Prince she is rising up the boards but if she is still there I could see BL taking a shot, she could even be that 12th roster spot beating out someone I'm assuming makes the team ATM

I would just put B. Jones at 5 and A. Jones at 7 moving Epps to round 2 (13?) and I think you have a pretty good Mock.

+1 very good mock

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this draft shows that the second-level talent is more plentiful than in the past -- the floor is rising, if you will -- but that elite talent still fluctuates dramatically.

And I know nothing about college volleyball, but I wonder how many of the top five or ten volleyball players could have contributed to the WNBA if they had chosen basketball instead.

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
womenshoopsworld‏ @hoopism · 13h13 hours ago
My sources say it looks like Diamond DeShields will stay for her senior season.

Well... I guess we will see then.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Quote:

This would be VERRRRRRRY interesting , could it be maybe she is not interested in the teams she could possibly land on ? Might not be much difference in that group next year though .

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Judging by some of Diamond's comments,I get the feeling that she has some unfinished business and will return to Tennessee.

Quote:
I want to be remembered as a great teammate. And I want to be part of bringing Tennessee back to prominence. I want my name to be behind it when people talk about the Warlick era. What player, what team was the catalyst to that era’s success? I want it to be me and my team.

Quote:
It’s just not smart [for women] right now. … For now, college basketball is the biggest platform, not professional. From what people have told me, it’s a culture shock when you get there. [Women] are not going into a situation where we can make millions of dollars like the guys. We have to fight every day for every dollar we earn. Some of my friends in the league have talked to me about places that haven’t given them all their money overseas, spending eight months away from home in another country where you don’t know anybody except the one American teammate that’s there with you.

Diamond wants to be the #1 pick,but getting knocked out in the 2nd round isn't how she wants to be remembered.Tennesee has the best incoming recruiting class led by Evina Westbrook & Anastasia Hayes,a SG & PG.Players at positions of need,The return of Te'a Cooper is another bonus.

I believe Diamond will stay put for one more year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/17 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Judging by some of Diamond's comments,I get the feeling that she has some unfinished business and will return to Tennessee.

Quote:
I want to be remembered as a great teammate. And I want to be part of bringing Tennessee back to prominence. I want my name to be behind it when people talk about the Warlick era. What player, what team was the catalyst to that era’s success? I want it to be me and my team.

Quote:
It’s just not smart [for women] right now. … For now, college basketball is the biggest platform, not professional. From what people have told me, it’s a culture shock when you get there. [Women] are not going into a situation where we can make millions of dollars like the guys. We have to fight every day for every dollar we earn. Some of my friends in the league have talked to me about places that haven’t given them all their money overseas, spending eight months away from home in another country where you don’t know anybody except the one American teammate that’s there with you.

Diamond wants to be the #1 pick,but getting knocked out in the 2nd round isn't how she wants to be remembered.Tennesee has the best incoming recruiting class led by Evina Westbrook & Anastasia Hayes,a SG & PG.Players at positions of need,The return of Te'a Cooper is another bonus.

I believe Diamond will stay put for one more year.

If so this leaves holly no excuse not to make At least the Elite 8 If not a final 4 . If not #Curb

PostPosted: 03/30/17 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

If so this leaves holly no excuse not to make At least the Elite 8 If not a final 4 . If not #Curb

Agreed.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/30/17 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No DeSheilds, too! WOW! Plum goes #1, SWK goes #2, B. Jones goes #3, Coffey goes #4, Coates goes #5.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/30/17 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Saniya Chong and I root for her. She's a local kid who I think was under-utilized her first two seasons. And then last year, Chong was hampered by the I-band injury. I'm very happy that Saniya is having a good senior season. However, I don't see her as a pro prospect -- not right now, anyway. Maybe if she goes overseas to get her mojo and confidence back (30+ ppg in high school) then her chances would be better. This draft is full of PGs and other small guards who may need to move to PG at the next level. Meanwhile, there isn't a lot of demand for PGs. Look at the WNBA rosters. Sure, if a team can upgrade at starter, they'll be happy to do it. But most of these players are backup material. You're not going to see all of them get drafted. Just because there is supply doesn't mean that it will induce demand.

Even someone like Wiese, whom people don't think will be a PG at the next level, will affect the demand for PGs. Why? Because teams have to decide whether they want to keep a 3rd PG for emergencies or if they can live with a SG functioning as a combo guard. I think in most cases, a team will look at a Wiese or an Epps and probably decide they'll roll the dice on using these players in an emergency rather than carry an extra PG. That means Chong, who is a 4th tier PG prospect behind the likes of Spencer and Fitzgerald, will probably go undrafted. I won't say it's impossible because we've seen that the draft after pick #15 or so becomes a total free-for-all. It just takes one GM or coach to like a player, and that's enough for her to get picked even if the other eleven teams totally disagree. And since I like Saniya, I'd be very happy to be wrong. Maybe she can play great in the next two games and really raise her draft stock.

PostPosted: 03/30/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Dallas traded Sims and the #11 for #4 probably believing that a player or two would come out early. What are they thinking now? Shocked

On a side note, I started out the season not liking Brionna Jones. However, after watching her several times in the last month, I'm really impressed with her improvement. She is much more mobile and active than last year or even earlier this season. It used to be that the only way she blocked a shot was if someone stood right in front of her. Now, you see her rotating out on help defense and putting herself in a position to get blocks. You also see Jones jump passing lanes and even take charges -- things that were unimaginable before. Her level of activity is way higher. I now think Brionna can play some PF, whereas before I thought she was too stationary.

As for offense, yes she is mostly a lay-up shooter but at least she makes them. How many bunnies have you seen missed in WCBB this year? Watching Erica McCall this season has been positively painful. I also noticed that Jones doesn't simply shoot over people anymore. Usually, she takes a step to the side to get a better shooting angle. She's just a much better player overall. And given how much improvement Jones has made since her freshman year, who's to say she won't keep working and get even better?

PostPosted: 03/30/17 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
No DeSheilds, too! WOW! Plum goes #1, SWK goes #2, B. Jones goes #3, Coffey goes #4, Coates goes #5.

That's not confirmed, is it?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

That's not confirmed, is it?

per womenshoops its seeming to be ...

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Quote:

this is all were knowing at this point Sad Embarassed

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Deshields returns, Tennessee should be much better. Wouldn't that put Tennessee over the scholarship limit?
Cooper/Hayes
Deshields/Middleton/Jackson
Westbrook/Dunbar/Davis
Nared/Green/Nunn
Russell/Kushkituah/Harris

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^Nunn was a graduate transfer so she won't back next year. If this the NBA instead of the WNBA, I would say that DeShields and Mitchell are passing up millions by returning from their senior seasons. Both of them are guaranteed Top 3 picks in this year's draft, next year that might not be the case. Next year's will be very deep.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Kushkituah just for her name. Hopefully she lives up to it!

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 53 of 73

Jump to: