Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 03/19/17 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Queenie wrote:
No thanks on Danielle Adams. Been there, done that with Kara Braxton.

Yes and Adams is even less of a fit than Kara..

I would imagine that a city the size of New York has quite a few competent seamstresses.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/19/17 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing Good one. I mean Adams fits what the Liberty do about as well as Donald Trump is able to be truthful.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:03 am    ::: An interview with Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe Reply Reply with quote

http://www.the-peak.ca/2017/03/an-interview-with-nayo-raincock-ekunwe-queen-of-the-basketball-courts/

Quote:
Next on the list for the 25-year-old is perhaps the greatest opportunity of her career to date, as she travels to New York for a training camp with WNBA team New York Liberty. It’s one which clearly excites Raincock-Ekunwe, with the chance to earn a contract at the highest level of women’s club basketball.

“It’s a huge opportunity. It’s very hard coming out of a Canadian school to make the NBA or WNBA — I don’t know of any female basketballers who have come out of Canada and made it to the WNBA — so it’s a huge chance to show Canadian schools can produce high-level athletes. I’m starting a pretty rigid training schedule to get all aspects of my game ready because it’ll be a whole other level of basketball.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/30/17 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

assuming we are looking at a depth chart something like this

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Schimmel/Alston/Barbee
Zellous/Allen/Raincock-Ekunwe
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Vauhn/Stokes

I've bolded the 9 sure things IMO (barring a trade)
I think Harltey, one of Raincock-Ekunwe and Burdick, and one of Schimmel, Alston and Barbee will get the remaining 3 spots.
Would any of these possible draftees be able to beat out the remaining candidates for a roster spot?
M. Epps, A. Prince, S. Cooper, L. Romero, T. Jankoska, L. Allen, E. McCall
If yes, why?
(Ps I wanted to get the NY thread back to the top of the page).

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/30/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
assuming we are looking at a depth chart something like this

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Schimmel/Alston/Barbee
Zellous/Allen/Raincock-Ekunwe
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Vauhn/Stokes

I've bolded the 9 sure things IMO (barring a trade)
I think Harltey, one of Raincock-Ekunwe and Burdick, and one of Schimmel, Alston and Barbee will get the remaining 3 spots.
Would any of these possible draftees be able to beat out the remaining candidates for a roster spot?
M. Epps, A. Prince, S. Cooper, L. Romero, T. Jankoska, L. Allen, E. McCall
If yes, why?
(Ps I wanted to get the NY thread back to the top of the page).

-- I think there's very little chance Hartley gets cut unless something extreme happens -- like Shoni showing up in great shape and blowing everyone away.
-- NY has two slots to play with, so they can be a little indulgent and keep one player they like even if she isn't immediately useful. I think Epps falls into that category. We don't need another SG or combo guard, but she's got good size and Makayla is very competitive.
-- Alexis Prince would be a good fit because she plays SF. She can also provide a truly big SG if needed on defense since NY now has too many 5-9 types.
-- Cooper can be that 3/4 that we had in Cash. She's strong and athletic, which both Laimbeer and Isiah like. Personally, I'm not convinced that she can beat out either Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe. I would bet on the feisty run-through-a-wall players over the "Why isn't she better?" athlete.
-- Romero is a player I've always liked because she seems smart and mature for her age. However, I'm not sure what she adds to NY in terms of skill or size or anything tangible.
-- Jankoska doesn't seem like a fit at all -- undersized, not athletic and primarily a small SG. If NY needed another long-range shooting SG, they would have been better off signing Whitcomb when she was available.
-- Lindsay Allen is a timely suggestion. I just started thinking about her for the Liberty yesterday. NY led the league in turnovers last season. You can certainly make an argument for adding a PG who provides ball security. Allen is arguably the best from a high level program. Now, is that enough to beat out Boyd or Hartley? I don't know. The rest of Allen's game is serviceable. She doesn't score much, but she seems to shoot OK and does take it to the hoop sometimes. Her defensive effort looks decent, although I can't shake the memory of Kiesel killing her two years ago. It's defintiely possible that Allen could help this team, but they'd have to trade Boyd or Hartley. I don't see them cutting either player.
-- McCall would fit into the open PF slot. She's athletic and plays with great energy. Currently, Erica looks good on defense and she's rebounding well. I just have no idea what happened to her offensive game. At this time last season, she had it all going -- inside game, mid-range, 3-pointers, everything. Now, she can't even hit a lay-up. More worrisome is the fact that McCall doesn't appear to understand the concept. A lay-up is not meant to be banged hard off the glass. Nor is it a sweeping hook shot high off the glass that misses the rim. The girl looks clueless. Why hasn't someone fixed this problem? Where are the coaches? Where are the Ogwumike sisters? Hell, just have her watch Alanna Smith! Hopefully, if NY drafts McCall, Bill and Herb can straighten her out.

PostPosted: 03/30/17 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evelyn Akhator?

basketballologist

PostPosted: 03/30/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
Evelyn Akhator?

With her rebounding ability, reminds me a lot of Cheryl Ford

toad455

PostPosted: 03/30/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

there's really no solid SF in this draft, so we're likely going for best available SF or a post. I see Akhator gone by #14. We don't need anymore guards, so we're likely left with the following: Ronni Williams, Shayla Cooper, Nina Davis, Jasmine Joyner or Hannah Little.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/30/17 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
basketballologist wrote:
Evelyn Akhator?

With her rebounding ability, reminds me a lot of Cheryl Ford

reminds me of GloJo.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 03/30/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
there's really no solid SF in this draft, so we're likely going for best available SF or a post. I see Akhator gone by #14. We don't need anymore guards, so we're likely left with the following: Ronni Williams, Shayla Cooper, Nina Davis, Jasmine Joyner or Hannah Little.

Williams is a bit of tweener forward that doesn't shoot the three. Do you think Prince will be gone by #14?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/31/17 1:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Draft variations
If I was picking with my heart I would go (Schimmel or Epps)

Prince/Boyd
Rodgers/Hartley/Schimmel or #14 Epps
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Zahui B./Burdick
Vaughn/Stokes

the A. Prince Variation (or N. Davis)

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Zellous
Allen/A. Prince (or N. Davis)
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Vaughn/Stokes

the Cooper/Schimmel variation

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Zellous/Schimmel
Allen/Cooper
Charles/Zahui B.
Vaughn/Stokes

the L. Allen

Prince/Boyd/Allen
Rodgers/Hartley
Zellous/Allen
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Vaughn/Stokes

The E. McCall go bigger style (this could also be a variation with Cooper)

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Zellous
Allen/Burdick
Charles/Zahui B/McCall (or Cooper)
Vaughn/Stokes

Anywhere it says Burdick you can substitute Raincock-Ekunwe if you prefer, anywhere it says Schimmel you can sub in Alston or Barbee if you prefer.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/31/17 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon taking a classical composer approach with all the variations. Smile

PostPosted: 03/31/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Are you suggesting that Laimbeer is something of an enigma? Smile

PostPosted: 03/31/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Are you suggesting that Laimbeer is something of an enigma? Smile

Nice. I was actually thinking about Bach and some other people, but not Elgar. But to your point, it's this draft that is an enigma rather than Laimbeer.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Fan Page actually wrote something interesting...saying that he heard the Liberty were inquiring about Aerial Powers. While I wouldn't take that in of itself as meaning anything, it does actually sound like the sort of thing the Liberty would be looking for. Of course, an inquiry could just mean the Libs asked and were told that Powers is not on the market. But just saying, acquiring a small forward with strength and athleticism to create matchup advantages is probably exactly what the Libs are trying to do.

That said, I'm not sure what they could trade for any SF right now. I'd rather have Rodgers than Powers for several reasons, and would see that type of trade being nothing more than a lateral move. I could see Dallas having moderate interest in Boyd, but don't think Boyd plus a first rounder would come close to piquing Dallas' interest enough to trade Powers. Or for that matter any team looking to trade an impactful small forward.

But do I think there's legitimacy to the idea that this type of player is what the Libs are looking for? Without a doubt.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw that, too. Maybe Laimbeer is dumping Prince? But would she show up in Dallas? Stokes for Powers straight up? WNBA Fan Page sometimes posts inside info that comes true. Sometimes it's probably just his wishful thinking. We will see if anything pans out from this.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/01/17 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Prince wants to be solely in NY. And there was an article where Laimbeer said Tina specifically requested that Prince be acquired. Not only do I think she's not going anywhere from those standpoints, but I think that would leave us without anyone on the roster to score and create for other players.

Stokes is the centerpiece of the team defensively. Adding Powers would strengthen the team's offense. Trading Stokes would be trading away the core of the defense. You're already down Wright, Cash and Swords, who each gave the team a certain physical presence that they no longer have. Trading Stokes would be the final nail in the coffin to ensure the Libs would be a bottom half defensive team.

PostPosted: 04/01/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My suggestion for a low risk/high reward roll of the dice would be to draft Jennie Simms of Old Dominion at #14. I've only seen her play twice, but from that and some video clips, she looks to have pro-level athleticism. Throw in the fact that Simms is second in the nation in scoring, and now the story gets interesting. Usually, mid-major players who are among the nation's leading scorers turn out to be 5-8 volume shooting SGs, much like Precious Hall who sits third in the nation. Simms is a 6-0 PG and she looks quick enough to stay there. Now, is she as quick as a normal sized PG? No, but you have to compare her to the other big guards who have played PG recently in the WNBA -- Taurasi, Tanisha Wright, Chelsea Gray, Xargay, Cloud, Dabovic, etc. Simms looks as quick or quicker than any of those players. Regarding the numbers, she scores 26 ppg on efficient shooting across the board: 47.4% FG, 38.2% 3Pt (63-165), 79.6% FT. Her shooting form is good, and Simms scores in a variety of ways. Jennie is a willing defender who is active when ODU applies their press. As far as I know, there are no injury issues or off court problems. Simms' coach can't say enough nice things about her.

So, why isn't Simms going higher in the draft? Obviously, mid-major level competition is one negative. However, the big fly in the ointment is her whopping 5.2 TOs per game versus 4.3 assists. Not exactly what we need on a Liberty team that already leads the league in TOs. However, from what I've seen, it's a fixable problem. Most of those TOs come off over-aggressive passing. For instance, she'll stand at the top of the 3-Pt arc and fire a one-handed pass off the dribble to a teammate located in the corner. The pass sails high or wide. So, you need to train her to pass the ball with two hands or dribble closer to make a shorter pass. Another problem is trying to squeeze entry passes into post players through a sea of bodies. The answer is to not throw the pass or dribble around until you find a better angle. At least we're talking about targeted passes not thrown under duress. To me, that's better than a player who goes one-on-one too much, dribbles into a crowd, and then has to make desperation passes to unload the ball. Nor is it as bad as players who throw blind passes to no one because they didn't bother to look. It's certainly not as worrisome as a player with a weak handle who gets her pocket picked regularly. Again, I'm not saying that the TOs aren't a concern. I just think a decision-making problem is less serious in a young player than lack of skill or a selfish mindset. The silver lining here is that you have a big scorer who is also a willing passer. Worst case scenario, you use her more at SG or SF. Simms could provide backup at 3 positions. Best case scenario, you just found yourself another potent scorer. New York already has a lot of guards, but they are mostly smallish. Simms represents an opportunity to add needed size on defense.

So, that's my case for Jennie Simms. We cut the #12 pick without blinking an eye last season. It looks to me like Simms could be a high ceiling player, and using the #14 to get her is a cheap way of finding out.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding DeShields not declaring, if that's true, that changes the landscape of both the 2017 and 2018 drafts markedly. If next year's draft was regarded as deep without DD and Mitchell, then it will be that much deeper with them involved. So, if a Liberty 2018 first round pick is in play as trade bait on draft day, that makes it a little more valuable than it might have been a few weeks ago.

Unrelated, it also means that Chicago got absolutely killed in the Delle Donne trade. At least if they would have gotten DD or Plum, the potential was there to receive a dynamic offensive player. Now they get neither.

PostPosted: 04/02/17 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope DeShields realizes that she may not even be a lottery pick in 2018.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/02/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Regarding DeShields not declaring, if that's true, that changes the landscape of both the 2017 and 2018 drafts markedly. If next year's draft was regarded as deep without DD and Mitchell, then it will be that much deeper with them involved. So, if a Liberty 2018 first round pick is in play as trade bait on draft day, that makes it a little more valuable than it might have been a few weeks ago.

It won't be so dramatic for the bottom of the 2018 first round, which I assume is where you want to be. In the bottom of the first round there'll be good players, but you'll have to use eval skills to make sure you find the right good player for you. It'll be easier to mess that up in the bottom of the first round than the top.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 04/02/17 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It won't be so dramatic for the bottom of the 2018 first round, which I assume is where you want to be. In the bottom of the first round there'll be good players, but you'll have to use eval skills to make sure you find the right good player for you. It'll be easier to mess that up in the bottom of the first round than the top.

Hope you're right. She'll fit right in with the Sparks. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/04/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Laughing Diamond will go top 4.People on this board are really devaluing Diamond while overrating Gray/Davis.Some people seem to forget that Diamond and the lady vols won in south carolina.Diamond outplayed Gray/Davis.Diamond put up excellent numbers against the team USC just beat to win the NC:

Diamond vs msst:
Gm 1:25p/9r/2a/2b
Gm 2:20p/6r/5r

Davis shot 35%fg for 85% of the season.Gray had games where she was nonexistent.It's a matter of perspective...People expect Diamond top be a superstar,and rightfully so.While Gray/Davis are role players.So when they perform better than expected,people start to overrate them as propects.But when Gray/Davis have pedestrian performances,people are sllent.For example,the uconn/usc game:

Davis:3p/2r/0a/5t/1-10 fg in 25 minutes
Gray:7p/2r/2a/2s/4t/3-7 fg in 38 minutes

Had Diamond put up either one of these stat lines,she would've never heard the last of it.If you think Minnesota or New york would pass on Diamond at the back end of the 1st rd,you are crazy.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/04/17 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Laughing Diamond will go top 4.People on this board are really devaluing Diamond while overrating Gray/Davis

The problem seems to be that you're not too familiar with the 2018 prospects.
Wilson, Williams, Mitchell, and Turner would be a good early call for the lottery.

Stevens and Collier will be eligibles.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/17 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Laughing Diamond will go top 4.People on this board are really devaluing Diamond while overrating Gray/Davis

The problem seems to be that you're not too familiar with the 2018 prospects.
Wilson, Williams, Mitchell, and Turner would be a good early call for the lottery.

Stevens and Collier will be eligibles.

I doubt teams take a chance on turner before Diamond especially wiht the knee issues. Wilson is #1 no doubt . Mitchell & Diamond are the interesting picks of this draft both could become the best players in this draft but both could become just mediocre . I doubt mitchell does but diamond has the tools to be special and i know the GM's see it . Next year will be awesome.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 26 of 80

Jump to: