RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Connecticut vs #2 Mississippi St - 3/31/17
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/17 7:47 pm    ::: #1 Connecticut vs #2 Mississippi St - 3/31/17 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament National Semifinal
Dallas, TX - 10:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN2 (Dave O’Brien & Doris Burke; Kara Lawson)

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn/

Live stats:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-women/d1/2017/03/31/mississippi-st-uconn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/01/17 2:15 am; edited 3 times in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great opportunity for MSU to avenge last year's S16 loss in Bridgeport.

The Bulldogs are a year wiser and have experienced UConn's intensity. They get to play on a neutral court and the Top 3 W picks are long gone.

With McCowan's dramatic improvement, William's scoring explosion and leadership, VV's shooting coming around, aggressive defense led by Dillingham and lots of size and depth, this will be a competitive game, imo.

All I hope is that UConn has remained one of those 60 pts better.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

The Bulldogs are a year wiser and have experienced UConn's intensity. They get to play on a neutral court and the Top 3 W picks are long gone.

With McCowan's dramatic improvement, William's scoring explosion and leadership, VV's shooting coming around, aggressive defense led by Dillingham and lots of size and depth, this will be a competitive game, imo.

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

PostPosted: 03/28/17 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

Last year it was 40 + 20

PostPosted: 03/28/17 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

Last year it was 40 + 20

Laughing Laughing i was trying to give VIC the benefit of improvement Laughing

PostPosted: 03/28/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA Tournament has belong to UCONN for years now. This year is no different. The tournament is about what teams will make the final four. Everyone knows what team will win the championship. Geno's babies.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

Last year it was 40 + 20

You weren't giving Geno the same benefit?

PostPosted: 03/28/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

So UCONN by 40 or 20 ?

Last year it was 40 + 20

You weren't giving Geno the same benefit?

Im sure his team will be fine without any . I just want a competitive game , i feel it would have been a better matchup with Baylor vs Uconn instead of Miss. State but i cross my fingers and pray UCONN shoots 20% from the field Gabby Fouls out in the 3rd Qtr

PostPosted: 03/28/17 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mississippi St needed to turn over Baylor an inordinate number of times PLUS needed all of Morgan William's 41 points to take down Baylor. I don't see much of a chance of both of these things reoccurring in this game. Can McCowan take over the game like she did against Washington? Naw to that too.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/28/17 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mississippi St needed to turn over Baylor an inordinate number of times PLUS needed all of Morgan William's 41 points to take down Baylor. I don't see much of a chance of both of these things reoccurring in this game. Can McCowan take over the game like she did against Washington? Naw to that too.

Osahor handled McGowan just fine in that Washington game until she ran out of gas. Easy to dominate an opponent who is fried. As far as the Baylor game goes, I would also point out that Vivians had a lot of luck go her way. Like three shots bounced in after hitting the front rim, and a 3-pointer caromed in off the backboard. There was also a foul shot that hit the front rim, and instead of bouncing back or up, it hugged the rim and then crawled over like it was alive. No one gets that lucky two games in a row. It's going to be a challenge for her because UConn applies a lot of ball pressure, and that usually causes Vivians to hoist up bad shots.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basically, Baylor had a bad day with Wallace having an especially bad day... and Mulkey didn't have a very good day either in my opinion. When things don't go right she goes into chicken with head cut off mode (Reeve?). Maryland, the same way. They has a bad day, especially SWK. One bad day can let a weaker opponent slip through.

This UConn team isn't prone to bad days. Some Uconn groupies may point out that KLS has been less than perfect during the tournament, but it hasn't really mattered. UConn is the most consistently good team, a machine. The only machine.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/17 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor played awful, and when they play badly they are very bad indeed. When every little thing doesn't go her way, Kim throws tantrums instead of reworking her plan and calming her troops. Her antics on the sideline were something to behold.I've seen high school coaches with more poise. I haven't been much edified by her behavior generally this season. Vic is animated, but he doesn't throw major hissy fits on the sidelines. I don't think I'm being sexist by criticizing Kim, because I've seen plenty of male coaches behave just as badly. Bobby Knight, anyone? (and that's for starters, I'm sure y'all can come up with more but of course he's the first one that springs to mind)

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/28/17 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
BelloFratello

PostPosted: 03/28/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:

Osahor handled McGowan just fine in that Washington game until she ran out of gas. Easy to dominate an opponent who is fried. As far as the Baylor game goes, I would also point out that Vivians had a lot of luck go her way. Like three shots bounced in after hitting the front rim, and a 3-pointer caromed in off the backboard. There was also a foul shot that hit the front rim, and instead of bouncing back or up, it hugged the rim and then crawled over like it was alive. No one gets that lucky two games in a row. It's going to be a challenge for her because UConn applies a lot of ball pressure, and that usually causes Vivians to hoist up bad shots.

This is one of the reasons I don't see V. Vivians as highly as some see her. Yeah, she might be a lottery pick in this year's weak draft, especially if there are no other early declarations. Yeah, when she's on she can score as good as most. But I think if she were given more ball handling responsibility she would be not much better than a bigger Andrea Riley, and Andrea Riley had handles. If Vivians stays for a senior year and doesn't improve her one on one defense, her all around game, her ball handling and decision-making/shot selection I think she could be in trouble of falling in to the second round in next year's deeper draft. I know I can think of at least 12 names I might pick in front of her. And that's not taking into account any players who have a great senior year or 2018 tournament who rise. I think her scoring ability is built for the pro game and she has the potential to be a star, but she has to work hard.

I'm just hoping none of that does Mississippi State in against UConn and I'm crossing my fingers that she can have one of her scary streaky shooting games.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/jjGmGwCMwlA

As Geno said (starts at 17:00) in the postgame, this is the same team we beat last year, but it's not the same team. I think Vic should have been COY.

MS ST is better than many seem to think, imo.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
MS ST is better than many seem to think, imo.

I do think it will be closer than last year

PostPosted: 03/29/17 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quite a limb there, pilight. Laughing

Expect competitive into the 4th.

PostPosted: 03/29/17 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's only two things that can beat uconn:

1.The bright lights of the final four.

2.Tara Vanderveer/stanford.

I really have no faith in D.Staley/USC.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/29/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no doubt that the margin in this game will be at least 20 points.

I have no doubt that the margin in the title game will be at least 20 points.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/29/17 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
There's only two things that can beat uconn:

1.The bright lights of the final four.

2.Tara Vanderveer/stanford.

I really have no faith in D.Staley/USC.

Foul trouble is the biggest threat, imo.

PostPosted: 03/29/17 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Yeah,Collier or Williams sitting on the bench for 8-12 minutes would hurt uconn at both ends of the court.Not to mention.playing tentatively trying not to pick up a foul that would send them to the bench for an extended period of time.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Quite a limb there, pilight. Laughing

Expect competitive into the 4th.

Expect blowout starting in Q1.

Expect great.

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Yeah,Collier or Williams sitting on the bench for 8-12 minutes would hurt uconn at both ends of the court.Not to mention.playing tentatively trying not to pick up a foul that would send them to the bench for an extended period of time.

I'm worried about every team in the FF. UCONN has a very slim margin for error re: foul trouble. All of these teams have very athletic post players, which can very much hurt UCONN. Defensively is where I'm most worried about the Huskies. McCowan, if she is on, could kill us in the paint and draw foul after foul. Hopefully we can deny her the ball.....which won't be easy with a PG like William. To me, the perimeter defense of Nurse/Chong is so important. With that being said, I think Nurse is both a great individual and team defender.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/30/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn 79-56

pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/17 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"There's nothing more humbling than getting beaten by 60 points (and) going to the WBCA convention the next week and they've asked you to speak about defense to your colleagues."

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on the Tulane game, cold shooting is what could sink UConn. Nurse was injured. Collier, who was playing well, got into foul trouble. Everybody else had a bad shooting night. That prevents the Huskies from spreading the floor and running their offense. Throw in a Tulane player who started hitting every 3-pointer that she hoisted up, and suddenly it was a close game.

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: