RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Maryland vs #10 Oregon - 3/25/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/26/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Howee wrote:
Yep, that was a 3 pt loss for Tulane, but.....both Tulane and Florida were road games for CT, sooo....we could say MD gave 'em their toughest HOME game this season. Laughing

The point is simple: Haters gonna hate, but objectivity demands that MD (which is not *my* team by any stretch) played a respectable season. Anyone who would NOT consider the OR win an upset is a smidge delusional.

Maryland was a road game too.

Laughing Laughing Hmm. Okay. Let's say it was their toughest win within 200 miles of Storrs, or something like that:

The IMPORTANT fact remains:
Quote:
Haters gonna hate, but objectivity demands that MD (which is not *my* team by any stretch) played a respectable season. Anyone who would NOT consider the OR win an upset is a smidge delusional.

PostPosted: 03/26/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, Howee, but I am going to have to disagree on that one. Aside from three games--Arizona State and Louisville, both of which have been extremely uneven this year, and UConn, which I will grant you--Maryland's OOC schedule consisted mostly of cupcakes. Go and look at it if you don't believe me. I just looked at it AGAIN. Not really very respectable. Not at all. Now we can disagree all day about the B1G, but that OOC needs some serious work.

PostPosted: 03/26/17 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
joetro wrote:
2017: Lost in Sweet 16 as a 3 seed to 10 seed.
2016: Lost in Round of 32 as 2 seed.
2014: Made Final Four as a 4 seed, but got killed by ND after having lost its best post player.
2013: Killed by over 30 points to ND.
Several other years held to seed.

I think Brenda is a good recruiter but poor coach. Same with Walz.

She is a good recruiter and I think develops players well. Look at Jones and Kimbrough for example. I'm not sure she is a good X's and O's coach.

She doesn't always seem to have a Plan B, especially against teams that defend well. A well-designed and disciplined offense creates openings for uncontested shots. Against creampuff teams, the absence of design and discipline shows through turnovers, and the Terps have historically been turn-over machines, even against the patsies. (In the 2006 championship season, in the semi-final against Carolina, the Terps committed 26 turnovers--and still won. How did that happen?!)

Quote:
I just don't understand why she doesn't schedule more tough non conference games. I can only conclude that she feels like she will lose and therefore risk her overrating and high seed in the tournament. It's not a good look and I'm a big MD fan.

I think, too, that a tougher out-of-conference is a necessity, rankings be damned. Brenda's teams are not going to be battle-hardened by more trips down the creampuff aisle. She's got to be giving the team the necessary experience against tough opponents during the regular season--especially during this time with the Big Ten so, um, lame. (And note well that we still couldn't beat Ohio State....)

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/26/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to play devils advocate here but could it just be Oregon was a bad matchup personnel wise, as they have a great PG who could play pick and roll all day and they had bigs who could pick and pop, and Jones at her size is not someone you want stuck in pick and roll all day. You go zone on Oregon and look what happened to Duke.

I think matchups mean more than non conference schedule. Even if Maryland played say South Carolina or Baylor, their personnel is so different, what could you draw from it when playing Oregon? And even if it was similar, it would be a game 3-4 months ago after they played 20+ games vs. a middling Big Ten. Not sure how much it'd mean.

Ohio State played some big name teams but look at how their season ended, I don't know if it is always something you can point to. OSU's RPI wasn't that good either which makes me think the Big Ten just dragged OSU and MD down a lot.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/26/17 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Sorry, Howee, but I am going to have to disagree on that one. Aside from three games--Arizona State and Louisville, both of which have been extremely uneven this year, and UConn, which I will grant you--Maryland's OOC schedule consisted mostly of cupcakes. Go and look at it if you don't believe me. I just looked at it AGAIN. Not really very respectable. Not at all. Now we can disagree all day about the B1G, but that OOC needs some serious work.

I have never disputed Maryland's OOC schedule. And frankly, I don't give a rat's azz 'bout their RPI/SOS/GPA/GPS/etc. IF YOU LOSE TO UCONN BY ONLY 6 POINTS, AND YOU WIN YOUR CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT, YOU'RE NOT ALL THAT BAD. Laughing
What I said was:
Howee wrote:
Maryland got beat fair and square by a talented, well-coached team in OR. That doesn't diminish that they had a strong season. I still recall that, up to this point, they gave UConn its closest game, if we don't count that first-of-the-season at FL-State. MD CAN PLAY.

If you read through this thread, most are inexplicably obsessed with how shitty Maryland is. They're not. Period. Cool

PostPosted: 03/27/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I have never disputed Maryland's OOC schedule. And frankly, I don't give a rat's azz 'bout their RPI/SOS/GPA/GPS/etc. IF YOU LOSE TO UCONN BY ONLY 6 POINTS, AND YOU WIN YOUR CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT, YOU'RE NOT ALL THAT BAD. Laughing
What I said was:
Howee wrote:
Maryland got beat fair and square by a talented, well-coached team in OR. That doesn't diminish that they had a strong season. I still recall that, up to this point, they gave UConn its closest game, if we don't count that first-of-the-season at FL-State. MD CAN PLAY.

If you read through this thread, most are inexplicably obsessed with how shitty Maryland is. They're not. Period. Cool

I never said they were shitty. What I'm saying is that they will never be GREAT until they really hone themselves with a tough, tough OOC schedule. As long as their OOC schedule consists mostly of West Cupcake State and East Jesus Tech, it doesn't prepare them for the *really* tough stuff. If you look at their conference schedule, the scores weren't all that great against some of the better teams AND they lost to Ohio State. Brenda may be good at recruiting and player development, but I have to agree with some others that I'm not so sure she's great with the Xs and Os. Losing to UConn by only 6 doesn't make you automatically great. I mean, Tennessee beat Stanford, Notre Dame, AND South Carolina this season (the last in their own house!) and they were FAR from great this year!

PostPosted: 03/27/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Just to play devils advocate here but could it just be Oregon was a bad matchup personnel wise, as they have a great PG who could play pick and roll all day and they had bigs who could pick and pop, and Jones at her size is not someone you want stuck in pick and roll all day. You go zone on Oregon and look what happened to Duke.

I think matchups mean more than non conference schedule. Even if Maryland played say South Carolina or Baylor, their personnel is so different, what could you draw from it when playing Oregon? And even if it was similar, it would be a game 3-4 months ago after they played 20+ games vs. a middling Big Ten. Not sure how much it'd mean.

Ohio State played some big name teams but look at how their season ended, I don't know if it is always something you can point to. OSU's RPI wasn't that good either which makes me think the Big Ten just dragged OSU and MD down a lot.

Fair points all. The importance I see in playing a tough out-of-conference schedule is precisely because it helps your team (and hopefully your coach?) learn to adapt, whether to bad match-ups or to bad days by your star(s). It's even more useful when the bulk of your home conference is flailing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: