RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Maryland vs #10 Oregon - 3/25/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/17 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
So how often has Brenda underachieved in the Tourney? Add this as another prime example.

Well she won the whole thing in 2006..... with a bunch of freshmen

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/25/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
So how often has Brenda underachieved in the Tourney? Add this as another prime example.

Didn't they make the Final 4 a couple years ago as a 4 seed? Games like this are good, we need more parity in the game but every time a big name team loses its not like they are all of a sudden underachievers. Give credit to Oregon and hopefully we see more underdogs make far runs. This two year run they have been upset in the tournament but big picture I think they are still one of the better programs in the nation, and their track record is quite impressive.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/25/17 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully this will end any talk about Maryland being top 3 in the country.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland didn't make too many outside shots.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/25/17 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
If only Maryland had more fans....

I think that is an issue regardless of win or loss, that is something that should be looked at. It only doesn't look worse because 2 west coast teams are in Bridgeport and there is low demand for tickets. If you had a regional of something like UConn, Duke, Maryland, and Quinnipiac it would truly be sad if all the fans except UConn were basically shutout.

A much bigger problem IMO is that there were 3,600 at the Lexington region. Rupp holds 24,000. And the same number at the ACC tournament final. Those who want all the regionals far from any of the teams involved need to ask what arena wants to bid for a weekend event that doesn't even fill half the seats, and where beer isn't allowed to be sold, further reducing any hope of a profit.

Maybe they should put the regionals in 800 seat gyms and give each school 200 tickts?

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/25/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Durantula wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I think that is an issue regardless of win or loss, that is something that should be looked at. It only doesn't look worse because 2 west coast teams are in Bridgeport and there is low demand for tickets. If you had a regional of something like UConn, Duke, Maryland, and Quinnipiac it would truly be sad if all the fans except UConn were basically shutout.

A much bigger problem IMO is that there were 3,600 at the Lexington region. Rupp holds 24,000. And the same number at the ACC tournament final. Those who want all the regionals far from any of the teams involved need to ask what arena wants to bid for a weekend event that doesn't even fill half the seats, and where beer isn't allowed to be sold, further reducing any hope of a profit.

Maybe they should put the regionals in 800 seat gyms and give each school 200 tickts?

I don't think its a problem for those other places. Kentucky lost, if they had won the fans would be there, plus they played the same night the Kentucky men played so it was just bad scheduling. The ACC Tournament used to get good crowds but just had to move their tournament to SC for the past year or two because of HB-2. WBB conference tournaments typically don't draw well and I don't blame fans for not going if they would rather save money for the NCAA tournament.

The NCAA could have easily reserved more seats for the opposing teams and THEN released them to the general public if they went unsold. The crowd in Bridgeport would still be great. All that is wrong is how quickly they sold the tickets to the general public. Local fans can buy tickets a few days ahead of time and be alright. I am not advocating for them to move the tournament far away.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
Hopefully this will end any talk about Maryland being top 3 in the country.

Too many pollsters and ESPN talking heads bought into the hype.

Typical that Brenda did nothing but whine about their seed when even the 3 was unearned.

They were way overrated all year based on nothing but hype.

Bye bye Big Ten.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently an 8:30 am tip isn't a problem. Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Apparently an 8:30 am tip isn't a problem. Laughing

They said they stayed on Eastern Time

linkster

PostPosted: 03/25/17 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
linkster wrote:
Durantula wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I don't think its a problem for those other places. Kentucky lost, if they had won the fans would be there, plus they played the same night the Kentucky men played so it was just bad scheduling. The ACC Tournament used to get good crowds but just had to move their tournament to SC for the past year or two because of HB-2. WBB conference tournaments typically don't draw well and I don't blame fans for not going if they would rather save money for the NCAA tournament.

The NCAA could have easily reserved more seats for the opposing teams and THEN released them to the general public if they went unsold. The crowd in Bridgeport would still be great. All that is wrong is how quickly they sold the tickets to the general public. Local fans can buy tickets a few days ahead of time and be alright. I am not advocating for them to move the tournament far away.

The NCAA could have easily reserved more seats for the opposing teams and THEN released them to the general public if they went unsold.

That sounds easy but explain exactly, including the time factors. Do they reserve X no of tickets for each of the 16 teams in the region? Or do they wait till it's down to 4 teams? If so, the teams aren't known till Monday. If the tickets go on sale Tuesday morning how long do they wait before making them available to the general public? Let's say the unsold tickets go on sale Thursday. That's barely enough time for fans driving to buy. And then if they are staying overnight they need to find hotel rooms on 48 hour notice. Or book last minute plane flights. All that would happen would be a lot of empty unsold seats. All this just to keep UConn fans from buying up all the seats and to make sure that a handful of VIP fans who don't care about cost get prime seating behind their team's bench, because remember, seats at Bridgeport were for sale on stub Hub, just not prime seats.

No one seems to have a problem with the higher seed playing their first 2 games at home in front of their home fans. The NCAA said it was done to encourage attendance and now they are supposed to discourage attendance at the regional level? And remember, this would be done at all 4 regionals.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/25/17 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's nonsense.

Big schools do this for football games every single week. They give the opposing team 2000 seats, and when they frequently aren't sold they release them for general sale, usually the Monday before the game.

No big deal at all.

And hotel rooms are a much bigger problem for a 100,000 spectator football game than for any basketball game, which are frequently played in big cities with lots of hotels.

Maybe if Bridgeport doesn't have enough hotel rooms it shouldn't be hosting regionals. Put them in Boston or Brooklyn or Philadelphia where there's adequate infrastructure.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 03/25/17 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I sure hope at some point Brenda starts playing a real schedule. Her non conference schedule is pathetic every year. They are my favorite team but she continues to have her teams unprepared. Play a tougher schedule instead of these cupcake teams every year in the non conference. Stop being scared.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/25/17 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That's nonsense.

Big schools do this for football games every single week. They give the opposing team 2000 seats, and when they frequently aren't sold they release them for general sale, usually the Monday before the game.

No big deal at all.

And hotel rooms are a much bigger problem for a 100,000 spectator football game than for any basketball game, which are frequently played in big cities with lots of hotels.

Maybe if Bridgeport doesn't have enough hotel rooms it shouldn't be hosting regionals. Put them in Boston or Brooklyn or Philadelphia where there's adequate infrastructure.

Boston, Brooklyn and Philadelphia have been free to bid for a regional and as far as I know haven't bid on even one. In fact look around and tell me all the large city arenas who have bid? In the east it's been Bridgeport, Albany and Trenton. And why do they bid? Because they know they will draw a crowd. I'll bet the managers of Rupp Arena are looking at the cost of operating a 24,000 seat arena for 3 days when only 3,600 buy tickets. I'd love to see how many tickets were reserved for each of the 16 teams and how many went unsold. From the view that ESPN can't avoid showing us on their cablecasts it looks like other than Bridgeport a lot of prime seats are empty.

I can just see arenas lining up to bid when they are told that the bulk of their prime seats can't go on sale till 2 or 3 days before the event. Rolling Eyes

Besides, this has an invented problem based on the false information that Bridgeport was a sellout when in fact there have been seats for sale. I've been to a Bridgeport regional and there were unsold seats and I've been to an Albany regional where there were unsold seats. The Maryland folks complaining are big-shot season tick holders who simply don't like sitting in the upper deck with the common folks. Too bad for them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/25/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
I sure hope at some point Brenda starts playing a real schedule. Her non conference schedule is pathetic every year. They are my favorite team but she continues to have her teams unprepared. Play a tougher schedule instead of these cupcake teams every year in the non conference. Stop being scared.

I would think the committee is going to feel vindicated. Or they should. If Brenda plays the same schedule with the same results next year, they may end up a 5 seed.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/25/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA PACpower

No way Maryland scouted Oregon and thats all I have to say about that.

I usually only see the other Pac-12 teams when they play Stanford. It's remarkable to me to watch a Pac-12 team play someone else who doesn't play scouting report defense like Stanford does. I'm constantly saying, wow, she can do that? Like Cazorla going to the basket today; we didn't see Stanford giving her much chance to do that. As another case, I was puzzled what the hype was about Hebard until I saw Oregon against other teams in the Pac-12 tournament.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Indeed. And I'm sure Brenda will tell the Terps- see that, they're afraid of you!

I hope the game is close with 5:00 left.

....and how'd that GO?? Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: 03/25/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2017: Lost in Sweet 16 as a 3 seed to 10 seed.
2016: Lost in Round of 32 as 2 seed.
2014: Made Final Four as a 4 seed, but got killed by ND after having lost its best post player.
2013: Killed by over 30 points to ND.
Several other years held to seed.

I think Brenda is a good recruiter but poor coach. Same with Walz.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/25/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=19002394&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/25/17 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Indeed. And I'm sure Brenda will tell the Terps- see that, they're afraid of you!

I hope the game is close with 5:00 left.

....and how'd that GO?? Shocked Laughing

better than i hoped!

PostPosted: 03/25/17 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just a reminder that Oregon finished 6th, out of 12, in the Pac-12.

Oregon lost to Washington, Washington State, Colorado, Cal, UCLA, Oregon State (twice), and Stanford (three times). That's 7 Pac-12 teams (out of a possible 11) that the Ducks lost to this season.

And they just now beat the 3-seed by 14 points.

The Pac-12, guys, is a very, very strong conference.

Congrats to the Ducks.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/25/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

Oregon lost to Washington, Washington State, Colorado, Cal, UCLA, Oregon State (twice), and Stanford (three times). That's 7 Pac-12 teams (out of a possible 11) that the Ducks lost to this season.

Congrats to the Ducks.

ASU as well.

This is surviving the Pac-12 and knowing that once you do, you have no reason to be intimidated by teams like Maryland.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/25/17 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

Congrats to the Ducks.

yeah, that's why the pac12t winner lost to FSU

PostPosted: 03/25/17 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

Congrats to the Ducks.

The Pac-12 comprised 31% of the Sweet Sixteen and comprises 25% of the Elite Eight. I think the conference has acquitted itself just fine.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/25/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

Congrats to the Ducks.

The Pac-12 comprised 31% of the Sweet Sixteen and comprises 25% of the Elite Eight. I think the conference has acquitted itself just fine.

if they get no teams in the FF, then no.

PostPosted: 03/25/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

Congrats to the Ducks.

if they get no teams in the FF, then no.

Okay, if you say so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: