RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/22/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
A little about KBA facing St. John's:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/womens-basketball/michigan-coach-barnes-arico-play-former-team

Aww.
Couldn't they bring back Kevin Borseth as Head Coach Emeritus, for 1 game ?
(he's worth the price of admission by himself)

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/23/17 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/womens-basketball/michigan-coach-barnes-arico-play-former-team

Wow. Will there be any half-red/half-blue shirts in the crowd?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/23/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ah shucks. Was hoping JMU or MTSU would come thru but now it's all majors into the last 8. [assuming Wazzou holds on to its lead]. Home court is now huge advantage meaning Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, and Ga Tech should move on to the final 4.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/17 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU did their damnedest against Villanova in the Convo Center, taking the Wildcats to OT before losing it, 69-67. Precious Hall scored 36 in her final game. I don't think Villanova expected the kind of defense JMU puts up though. They seemed downright flummoxed in the 3rd Q when the Dukes turned it up a notch or two, and after that they weren't able to hit nearly as many 3s or pass nearly as well. I expect them to get their lunch eaten by Indiana on Sunday. Anyway, it was a nice run for JMU while it lasted.

It was good to see Jannah Tucker out there playing well and looking good. I trust all the trauma of her teens is gone and her life is together now. I hope the best for her going forward.

PostPosted: 03/23/17 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa takes down Colorado 80-62. The Hawkeyes maintained a large lead throughout. The Buffs were never able to make a serious run in this one. CU senior Haley Smith went out in style with 25 points to lead all scorers despite picking up her second foul in the first minute or two of play. Congrats to Iowa.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/24/17 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cattekin wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Wow. Will there be any half-red/half-blue shirts in the crowd?

I didn't see any, but KBA's daughters did hang out behind St. John's bench for the 1Q. Smile

Michigan looked completely out of rhythm in the first half and was down 30-29. Gondrezick was not with the team (sounds like we'll hear more later). The Wolverines got it together and held St. John's to just 10 points in the whole second half, winning 60-40. It helped that the St. John's two post players fouled out while trying to guard Hallie Thome, who led all with 19.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/24/17 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 4
Saturday, March 25
Virginia Tech at Michigan, 2 p.m. ET

Sunday, March 26
Villanova at Indiana, 2 p.m. ET
Alabama at Georgia Tech, 2 p.m. ET
Washington State at Iowa, 3 p.m. ET

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/24/17 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Bama alum living in Atlanta and my family has been Bama women's hoops season ticket holders for years now. Therefore, I will probably head down to Tech on Sunday afternoon (although parking there is a nightmare) and cheer on my Tide. ROLL TIDE!!

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/24/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Bama alum living in Atlanta and my family has been Bama women's hoops season ticket holders for years now. Therefore, I will probably head down to Tech on Sunday afternoon (although parking there is a nightmare) and cheer on my Tide. ROLL TIDE!!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/25/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan rolled against Virginia Tech, 80-62, this afternoon. Kenny Brooks complained in his post-game about his team having to travel and play at 2:00 after playing Thursday night. He had a good point. I don't know why the game was scheduled that way.

Milestones from Michigan (it's as if Gondrezick being gone helped loosen them up):
» Katelynn Flaherty scored a game-high 29 points, including seven three-pointers, to record just the second 700-point season in school history (701). Both 700-point seasons belong to Flaherty.
» Hallie Thome scored 27 points on 11-for-16 shooting, including seven straight to start the fourth quarter.
» Siera Thompson became the program leader in assists after going for five against Virginia Tech. Thompson now has 540 career assists.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/26/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the overall stellar play, the B1G has popped up a point, to a point and a half, in the Sagarin conference ratings.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/26/17 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In a foul fest featuring horrible shooting by both teams, Wazzou hangs on to win at Iowa. We're talking under 40%from 2, around 20% at volume from 3 and a little over 50% from the line FOR BOTH TEAMS. OMG!

So the semis will be Nova at Michigan and WSU v. Georgia Tech somewhere.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/17 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
In a foul fest featuring horrible shooting by both teams, Wazzou hangs on to win at Iowa. We're talking under 40%from 2, around 20% at volume from 3 and a little over 50% from the line FOR BOTH TEAMS. OMG!

At GA Tech. Both games are on Wednesday.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/17 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
With the overall stellar play, the B1G has popped up a point, to a point and a half, in the Sagarin conference ratings.

I wonder how much that'll change with both Indiana and Iowa losing today.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/26/17 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go Blue! Conference loyalty be damned, KBA and the crew are my crew.

If Nova were hosting, I would seriously consider taking the day off and going down there.

(now with spelling variations)
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/26/17 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Seriously, Bluder!?!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/17 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is NO WAY Villanova should beat Michigan! They shouldn't even have got this far....they BARELY beat JMU! GO BLUE! (Sorry Jannah, but you shouldn't have done that!)

PostPosted: 03/26/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go WSU!!

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/17 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the Go Blue support, RebKellians!

It's been four years since Michigan faced Villanova (NCAA 1st round win), so I'll have to read up on them to see how we match up.

I do know that the Wolverines will be super-confident if they beat Nova and end up facing GATech - a team they beat by 40 in December back in the ACC/B1G Challenge.

They beat Washington State two years ago, so we know a bit about them.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/17 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Due to a previous commitment in Crisler Arena, the Wolverines will host the Yellow Jackets on Saturday at University of Detroit Mercy's Callihan Hall for the WNIT final.

This Wolverines will be playing in their first championship game of any kind in the 43 years of the program.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/17 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Due to a previous commitment in Crisler Arena, the Wolverines will host the Yellow Jackets on Saturday at University of Detroit Mercy's Callihan Hall for the WNIT final.

This Wolverines will be playing in their first championship game of any kind in the 43 years of the program.

I guess GA Tech's attendance is God awful...

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Neither teams have good attendance; although, Michigan's has been a few hundred more. I think Michigan probably threw more money at the WNIT.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/30/17 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Neither teams have good attendance; although, Michigan's has been a few hundred more. I think Michigan probably threw more money at the WNIT.

True. Guessing they also had to throw some money at Detroit as well. Michigan certainly has money to burn.

crispyten

PostPosted: 04/01/17 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official attendance at Georgia Tech for the Washington State game was 1,106. Tech hosted all of their previous tournament games even though attendance was less than 900 for all including Middle Tennessee who had better numbers. Tech men (who lost their NIT championship game) have good support from fans and from local media. Tech women are lucky to get a mention in the newspaper or radio/tv sports news. I think that may be, in part, because of so many professional teams in town who get most of the media's attention.

The Georgia Tech team that lost 92-52 to Michigan December 1 is much improved. Kaylan Pugh, the transfer from Ohio State who was not eligible until mid-season, comes off the bench and provides a lot of energy. She is a bit wild and is terrible at the free throw line, but she is a great defender and is third on the team in scoring. Francesca Pan, ACC Freshman-of-the-year, has adjusted better to U.S. style of play. Elo Edeferioka, the transfer from Hofstra, has come a long way too.

Michigan will probably win, but not by 40 points.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/02/17 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

crispyten wrote:

Michigan will probably win, but not by 40 points.

It was night and day from December! Michigan hit 50% in the earlier game to 36.7 yesterday. The Wolverines were also missing transfer/ACL/personal leave players who scored a total of 23 in the earlier game.

I'm glad the Wolverines hung on to win. GA Tech had so much more depth, using 9 players for double-digit minutes to only 6 of U-M's. Our PG played all 55 minutes, C and PF 52 each and SG 51. KBA has used the tag line "Hardest working team in America" since she's been at Michigan. Yesterday the conditioning work paid dividends.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: