RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Notre Dame vs #5 Ohio St - 3/24/17
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/17 11:32 pm    ::: #1 Notre Dame vs #5 Ohio St - 3/24/17 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament Region Semifinal
Lexington, KY - 7:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN (Beth Mowins & Deb Antonelli)

Video:
http://www.espn.com/watchespn

Audio:
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/collegesportslive/?media=551261 (free)

Live stats:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard

http://www.ncaa.com/game/basketball-women/d1/2017/03/24/ohio-st-notre-dame

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1545932&school=osu&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/24/17 8:12 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/20/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe an update on Tuesday about Bri's knee.

Quote:
Notre Dame says definitive word on the status of junior forward Brianna Turner is not expected to come until Tuesday now.

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Notre-Dames-Turner-leaves-game-with-knee-injury-416570513.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/20/17 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Turner can't play, the dilemma is how long do you play Nelson? I don't think she is going to be too productive against McCoy/Hart but what could cause more matchup problems is going small and just pulling Westbeld or Boley to be the posts and play on the perimeter. Can OSU bigs guard them at the 3 point line? Opens up driving lanes for Mabrey, Allen, Young, and Ogunbowale.

No easy answer but rather than try to match OSU with size which I don't know if ND can do successfully, I think just spreading OSU may be better by playing small ball.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/21/17 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have preferred a 7:30 start.

Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turner will not play in this game or any other game of the tournament

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
On his website, Dr. Selene Parekh wrote of Turner’s injury — suffered Sunday in the Irish’s Round of 32 win over Purdue: “Depending on issues, could miss some playing time. Best case – sprain. Worse case – ligament injury or bone bruising.”

(Dr. Parekh has not evaluated Turner personally. He’s just going off what he saw on television.)

We’re optimists, so let’s assume a best case scenario. What do Harvard doctors tell us about the expected recovery time of a knee sprain?

“How long a knee sprain lasts depends on the type of knee sprain, the severity of your injury, your rehabilitation program and the types of sports you play. In general, milder Grade I and Grade II MCL or LCL sprains heal within 2 to 4 weeks, but other types of knee sprains may take 4 to 12 months.”

That would put Turner’s return to the court anywhere from April 2 to April 16. The women’s championship game is April 2.

http://www.onefootdown.com/2017/3/21/14982320/2017-womens-basketball-tournament-notre-dame-brianna-turner-injury-sam-grewe-lee-kiefer-perkovic

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sucks. kinda figured. The only good thing is she's not a senior.

https://twitter.com/ndwbb/status/844211377476636673

PostPosted: 03/21/17 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sucks so much. I can't even put into words.

So now, does she have surgery, sit out senior year and come back for a fifth?

Or does she have surgery, maybe play some her senior year and hope she goes as a decent draft pick?

I think that I'd prefer her to sit out next year and do her senior year with Mabrey and Ogunbowale. Plus I'm not sure that the PG situation will be all that great next year, so I'm thinking that the next year is the year.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/21/17 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big advantage for Ohio State now. Let's see what they do.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

also, with the injuries to South Carolina, you have to wonder if the door is now wide open for Ohio State to advance to the Final 4.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
also, with the injuries to South Carolina, you have to wonder if the door is now wide open for Ohio State to advance to the Final 4.

Regardless of ND, there is still Texas and Stanford.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

Or does she have surgery, maybe play some her senior year and hope she goes as a decent draft pick?

I think that I'd prefer her to sit out next year and do her senior year with Mabrey and Ogunbowale. Plus I'm not sure that the PG situation will be all that great next year, so I'm thinking that the next year is the year.

Isn't Lili Thompson a PG?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

My uneducated guess is that there is little to no damage to her knee other than the ACL- this is based on her reaction and ability to walk off and later return to the bench w/o brace or ice.

If so, recovery these days is 6-9 months. She'll stay with the team as far as it goes in the tournament. If she has surgery in early April at the latest, 9 months out puts her in early January. If all goes well she could be in good form by March at the latest, so it's possible she could still enter next year's W draft as a lottery pick anyway.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

Isn't Lili Thompson a PG?

no. Definitely a SG.

- Amanda Gorman
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

My uneducated guess is that there is little to no damage to her knee other than the ACL- this is based on her reaction and ability to walk off and later return to the bench w/o brace or ice.

If so, recovery these days is 6-9 months. She'll stay with the team as far as it goes in the tournament. If she has surgery in early April at the latest, 9 months out puts her in early January. If all goes well she could be in good form by March at the latest, so it's possible she could still enter next year's W draft as a lottery pick anyway.

The latest report is that Turner has a torn ACL and a small tear in the lateral meniscus (but the MCL is fine): https://twitter.com/AdamDerWSBT/status/844682039299358720

As a side note, this South Bend sports anchor looks 12 years old in the pic on his Twitter account.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without Turner, the advantage on the frontline should be strongly in favor of tOSU. The backcourt is close to a push so I would think tOSU is now the big favorite.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:

The latest report is that Turner has a torn ACL and a small tear in the lateral meniscus (but the MCL is fine): https://twitter.com/AdamDerWSBT/status/844682039299358720

As a side note, this South Bend sports anchor looks 12 years old in the pic on his Twitter account.

Given how her knee bent inward, I would have suspected an MCL before before the lateral meniscus. Guess that's why I'm not a trainer!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched the sports. They were showing the team getting on the bus for the trip to the airport. Bri has crutches although she wasn't using them much. Could also see the outline of a brace under her pants.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/23/17 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Without Turner, the advantage on the frontline should be strongly in favor of tOSU. The backcourt is close to a push so I would think tOSU is now the big favorite.

First of all, I'm sick for Turner. It's not only terrible that it happened, it also happened at the worst possible time. With that being said, I still don't give the edge to tOSU in this game. Muffett is light years ahead of McGuff as a coach. If tOSU plays as a team, I think they could win. But their undisciplined style of play would be picked apart by ND. ND clearly has an advantage in the back court, IMO.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/23/17 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:

First of all, I'm sick for Turner. It's not only terrible that it happened, it also happened at the worst possible time. With that being said, I still don't give the edge to tOSU in this game. Muffett is light years ahead of McGuff as a coach. If tOSU plays as a team, I think they could win. But their undisciplined style of play would be picked apart by ND. ND clearly has an advantage in the back court, IMO.

I see no reason to favor the pupil either. The injury makes it 60/40 in ND's favor instead of 85/15, imo.

PostPosted: 03/23/17 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only way OSU losses this basketball game is if Mitchell tries to do too much,and takes low quality shots.OSU wins by 12+ points.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/17 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"It doesn't change our goal. It probably changes the odds a little bit," McGraw said Wednesday. "

Quote:
Allen said the injury to Turner is reminiscent to a knee injury sustained by Natalie Achonwa in a regional final in 2014, when the Irish responded with an 87-61 victory over Maryland in the Final Four.
"That team was so mentally focused and so locked into the task. No one could have stopped us in that game," she said.
She said she hopes the Irish respond with a similar effort against Ohio State.

http://wsbt.com/sports/content/notre-dame-shifts-gears-for-ohio-st-after-losing-turner

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/23/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Notre Dame is a big favorite. Ohio State is the more talented team without Turner, but they don't play to their potential and McGuff is not a good coach. I'd be very surprised to see an Ohio State victory.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/17 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Earlier in the day, she tweeted, "For the record dislocating your shoulder is far more painful than tearing your ACL, but I would still recommend neither if possible."

Quote:
"I have no idea," Irish senior captain Lindsay Allen says with a laugh at home Turner is staying positive. "I think its just her personality. She's always been fun she always has a great sense of humor, always see the bright side of things. I think that's just who she is.

She just has a strong emotional will and able to still be there for us and see the bright side of things."

Quote:
"It definitely inspires me," Kat Westbeld says of Turner's positive attitude. "I’ve never – I couldn't imagine going through what she’s gone through and still being as positive as you can. I’m just cracking up reading her tweets, I don’t know how she does it, but I think that just really shows the type of person Bri is and just really inspires me to play harder and play for her."

http://www.wndu.com/content/sports/Turner-keeping-her-sense-of-humor-despite-suffering-season-ending-injury-416880223.html

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Why would I be negative?

A couple of videos of Bri and Muffet.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/why-would-i-be-negative-notre-dame-star-upbeat-despite-injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: