RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sweet 16 bragging rights to PAC12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:56 pm    ::: Sweet 16 bragging rights to PAC12 Reply Reply with quote

PAC 12 - 5 teams

ACC - 3 teams

SEC - 2 teams

B12 - 2 teams

B1G - 2 teams

AAC - 1 teams

MAAC -1 team

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/21/17 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to give them credit. The Pac 12 has done really well, including a #10 seed in the Sweet Sixteen and one of their two losses a near upset of a #1 seed in the 2nd round.

I'd say that they've got the argument for strongest conference overall this year.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/21/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The P12 easily has the most quality teams as a percentage of the entire conference.
I think the P12 has improved mostly due to the excellent coaching hired in the Pacific Northwest in the last several years.

I have enjoyed watching them play in the last 2 years on The P12 Network. It helps that I'm a night owl and that unlike the B1G Network, they don't require a separate subscription to watch most streaming games.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In fairness, Oregon beat Duke who was without their starting PG.

That said, I like Oregon a lot. They're fun to watch and I'm glad they won so I can see them in person.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
In fairness, Oregon beat Duke who was without their starting PG.

That said, I like Oregon a lot. They're fun to watch and I'm glad they won so I can see them in person.

Oregon also barely beat Temple. Temple was without former Georgia Tech player Donnaizha Fountain, who averages 14 PPG (3rd on team) and 7.5 RPG (2nd on team). Just gotta beat who they line up against you but they did get somewhat fortunate. Interesting that 7 seed Temple on a neutral floor gave them a better game than the 2 seed who had a true home game.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/17 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't seen Oregon AT ALL this year (curse you, Pac-12 network!) so I have to wonder if they're one of those teams that kind of rises to the occasion. Also, because Ionescu and Hebard are freshmen, maybe it took them a bit to get their feet under them. Whatever, it's working now!

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I haven't seen Oregon AT ALL this year (curse you, Pac-12 network!) so I have to wonder if they're one of those teams that kind of rises to the occasion. Also, because Ionescu and Hebard are freshmen, maybe it took them a bit to get their feet under them. Whatever, it's working now!

Well, they only had 2 non-conferences losses--against Mississippi St on a neutral court and at Ole Miss. Ionescu missed most of the Ole Miss game with an injury that also kept her out of several more games.

The Ducks are just getting started. Ionescu is the real deal. Her court vision is filthy. Hebard also has all kinds of superstar potential. Plus Kelly Graves is not just a terrific recruiter, but the man can flat out coach. The conference is fortunate to have him.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

8:30 a.m. (PT) start Saturday.

on the other hand, the Ducks will be the crowd favorite by a wide margin.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about bragging rights to the #3 seeds?

Seeds
1... 4 (CON, ND, SC, BAY)
2... 3 (STAN, MSU, OSU)
3... 4 (MAR, TEX, FSU, WAS)
4... 2 (LOU, UCLA)
5... 1 (OSU)
10.. 1 (ORE)
12.. 1 (QUIN)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Well, they only had 2 non-conferences losses--against Mississippi St on a neutral court and at Ole Miss. Ionescu missed most of the Ole Miss game with an injury that also kept her out of several more games.

The Ducks are just getting started. Ionescu is the real deal. Her court vision is filthy. Hebard also has all kinds of superstar potential. Plus Kelly Graves is not just a terrific recruiter, but the man can flat out coach. The conference is fortunate to have him.

Oregon has the potential to rule the P12 over the next couple of years. They can be really really good. Starting three Freshmen this year has had its ups and downs but will pay off big in the future. Three more years of the starting bigs and the PG! They have bigs. They have a PG. They have shooters. They have depth. They lose nobody. They could easily be in contention nationally next year. Too bad Westbrook didn't choose to stay in-state. She could have played with a really good team instead of Tenn. Evil or Very Mad

- Amanda Gorman
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/22/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Seeds
2... 3 (STAN, MSU, OSU)
4... 2 (LOU, UCLA)
5... 1 (OSU)
10.. 1 (ORE)
12.. 1 (QUIN)

It seems pretty unusual to see multiple 3 seeds favored over 2 seeds on neutral floors. Washington is 3.5 point favorites right now over Miss State, and FSU is a 3 point favorite over Oregon State. I'm guessing if Duke had beaten Oregon, Maryland would have been favored as well.

So there's another thread about whether the seeding was bad, I guess when it comes to the 2-3 seed lines Vegas sees things differently than the committee.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/17 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Shades wrote:

Seeds
2... 3 (STAN, MSU, OSU)
4... 2 (LOU, UCLA)
5... 1 (OSU)
10.. 1 (ORE)
12.. 1 (QUIN)

It seems pretty unusual to see multiple 3 seeds favored over 2 seeds on neutral floors. Washington is 3.5 point favorites right now over Miss State, and FSU is a 3 point favorite over Oregon State. I'm guessing if Duke had beaten Oregon, Maryland would have been favored as well.

So there's another thread about whether the seeding was bad, I guess when it comes to the 2-3 seed lines Vegas sees things differently than the committee.

Still not as bad as the men's side, where Vegas had a #12 seed favored over a #5 seed in the first round.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

Interesting since I think OrSU has a better chance to beat FSU than Washington has to beat MSU. Perhaps I should place some bets. Washington is getting a lot of press because of their fairytale run last year and because of Plum, but they're not as good as last year. Well, except if Romeo and Corral and my avatar are all hitting shots....then they are pretty good, but that hasn't happened all that much this year.

- Amanda Gorman
IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Interesting since I think OrSU has a better chance to beat FSU than Washington has to beat MSU. Perhaps I should place some bets. Washington is getting a lot of press because of their fairytale run last year and because of Plum, but they're not as good as last year. Well, except if Romeo and Corral and my avatar are all hitting shots....then they are pretty good, but that hasn't happened all that much this year.

Florida State -2½
Oregon State +2½
Over/Under 124½

-------------------------------------------------

Washington -3½
Mississippi State +3½
Over/Under 151½
------------------------------------------------------

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What has hurt Oregon St is that Wiese has been in an extended shooting slump. If she breaks out of it that team is an entirely different story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: