RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/21/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
pilight wrote:
Florida is apparently down to three finalists

...one of which is Becky Hammon...?

If Hammon is actually interested in the job, I don't see how she would get turned down. Should we just pencil Hammon in at Florida?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/17 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon as a college coach would be amazing....but would she? I kinda doubt it. I think that's someone's pipe dream.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Becky Hammon as a college coach would be amazing....but would she? I kinda doubt it. I think that's someone's pipe dream.

Quote:
She will be visiting the Gainesville campus in the next couple of days, as Florida is down to their final three candidates — with Hammon being at the top of the list.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:
She will be visiting the Gainesville campus in the next couple of days, as Florida is down to their final three candidates — with Hammon being at the top of the list.

YIKES! Considering that she's been an NBA coach, I'd almost consider that a step *down*. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
pilight wrote:
Florida is apparently down to three finalists

...one of which is Becky Hammon...?

Well, I'd rather see that than Vic (he needs to stay put, Lillian!), but I also would want Becky to start out at a more high-profile place, m'self. She'd certainly be a feather in their cap.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

YIKES! Considering that she's been an NBA coach, I'd almost consider that a step *down*. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I think it's good that she doesn't see it as a step down. Plus, Florida is one of the few schools that would pay her more than she's making now.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic definitely needs to stay put. I like what he's doing where he is. I kind of agree with Howee that if Becky were to go into college coaching, she could look higher than Florida, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. *shrug*

PostPosted: 03/21/17 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Vic definitely needs to stay put. I like what he's doing where he is. I kind of agree with Howee that if Becky were to go into college coaching, she could look higher than Florida, but whatever floats your boat, I suppose. *shrug*

What's higher than Florida right now? Tennessee is stumbling and bumbling as usual, so they're going to miss out if they like Hammon.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Fahey to Illinois

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/22/15020206/illinois-hires-hall-of-famer-nancy-fahey

I'm a big fan, so kudos.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Nancy Fahey to Illinois

http://www.swishappeal.com/2017/3/22/15020206/illinois-hires-hall-of-famer-nancy-fahey

I'm a big fan, so kudos.

I didn't know who she was, but that's a helluva track record. Kudos to Illinois...and to her.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Mark Trakh should definitely be considered for a P5 position ... the only reason he was fired at USC was a cascade of injuries, most notably to Jacki Gemelos.

New Mexico State is now a power in the WAC, and that's an amazing feat.

You're giving him too much credit. Even with all the injuries, he could never translate his Mid Major success to a P5 conference. He had multiple McD's All Americans and still struggled in a much weaker Pac 12.

Two of those Mickey's girls -- Jacki Gemelos and Stefanie Gilbreath -- did not play a minute in Trakh's last two seasons due to knee injuries. Not too many programs can lose one of the greatest players of her generation (Gemelos) and a WNBA-caliber player and still compete in a BCS conference.

Trakh was 90-64 at USC, and took over a program in disarray after Chris Gobrecht's time in charge.

His first year at New Mexico State, he was 6-24, and now the Las Cruces (not exactly a recruit magnet) school has gone 69-19 in the last three years.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All true and Trakh got blamed for all of the frustration related to several player injuries at the time by an incompetent Sr. Athletic Director. Now that USC has a new AD, Mark Trakh would be a great hire.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Phil wrote:
Nancy Fahey to Illinois

I'm a big fan, so kudos.

I didn't know who she was, but that's a helluva track record. Kudos to Illinois...and to her.

As a small personal anecdote, I'll explain why I knew.

A number of years ago, my daughter was in the college selection process. One of the schools on a short list was Washington University. We took a trip out to the campus, and while my daughter was in her interview, I was walking around in the hall and saw some information about the women's basketball program on the wall. I didn't know much about the program but I was interested so I started reading and learned that they didn't just have a good program they were national champions. Wow.

My interest is still primarily in D1 schools but I try to pay attention to some of the D2 and D3 schools and Wash U is one of them even though my daughter didn't end up going there.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Phil wrote:
Nancy Fahey to Illinois

I'm a big fan, so kudos.

As a small personal anecdote, I'll explain why I knew.

A number of years ago, my daughter was in the college selection process. One of the schools on a short list was Washington University. We took a trip out to the campus, and while my daughter was in her interview, I was walking around in the hall and saw some information about the women's basketball program on the wall. I didn't know much about the program but I was interested so I started reading and learned that they didn't just have a good program they were national champions. Wow.

My interest is still primarily in D1 schools but I try to pay attention to some of the D2 and D3 schools and Wash U is one of them even though my daughter didn't end up going there.

I have a *sort of* adopted Chinese brother (too long to explain, but he really is part of the family, and is an American citizen now) whose older daughter went to Washington U. She didn't play basketball, but she was a big fan, and she loved the place.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to D-III but I do cast an eye at D-II now and then, mostly because I lived next door to a D-II school for many years in Tennessee, and also because a school that recruited my daughter for soccer years ago (she didn't go, for complicated reasons) is now D-II and is the only non-HBCU in its conference which also includes Virginia Union in Richmond, which I got a little familiar with when I lived there.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bret McCormick‏
@ASGR1995

Mount Saint Mary's will not renew HC Bryan Whitten's contract. Has been HC for 10 years. Job#25

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 03/22/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCormick's #s are off (which is odd because he is on top of everything) ... he skipped 2 numbers (19 & 20) when tweeting. Tweeted #18 Marshall on March 12th and then March 13th he tweeted about Illinois State and CS Fullerton saying 22 open. Unless I missed something.

I only have 23 openings to date. Grambling State and Morgan State were Interim last year and have yet to be named permanent, so that could be it.

With Illinois hiring officially ...
http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2017/3/22/fahey-named-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=wbball

Only 21 HC openings currently. Marshall and Illinois hired.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/22/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is on the men's side, but I figured I would throw this in here. Shouldn't they take a good, long look at what happened at Arkansas in a very similar situation?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18977048/doug-gottlieb-interview-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coaching-vacancy

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/22/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candidates for the Florida job according to Kenny Kallina are:

Charlotte Smith
Cam Neubauer
Becky Hammon
Matthew Mitchell

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/22/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
This is on the men's side, but I figured I would throw this in here. Shouldn't they take a good, long look at what happened at Arkansas in a very similar situation?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18977048/doug-gottlieb-interview-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coaching-vacancy

Somewhat similar but Dykes was worse because he knew nothing about girls basketball, had no involvement. Gottlieb is at least commentating on men's basketball. His dad was a long time AAU coach in California, and his brother is a long time D1 assistant at places such as Cal, so I think he has actual AAU connections and would know how to staff whereas Dykes was like a fish out of water in that all he had was Arkansas ties but no ties to women's basketball at all.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/22/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Somewhat similar but Dykes was worse because he knew nothing about girls basketball, had no involvement. Gottlieb is at least commentating on men's basketball. His dad was a long time AAU coach in California, and his brother is a long time D1 assistant at places such as Cal, so I think he has actual AAU connections and would know how to staff whereas Dykes was like a fish out of water in that all he had was Arkansas ties but no ties to women's basketball at all.

True. But how much coaching experience does he have?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/22/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:

Charlotte Smith
Cam Neubauer
Becky Hammon
Matthew Mitchell

Oh, please please please let them take Charlotte Smith out of the CAA!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, she is a very good coach, and a good recruiter. If she can get quality recruits at a place like Elon, I can just imagine what she could do at Florida. I have a high regard for her.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@wbballhoopscoop
Miami OH: Finalists Ohio State Associate HC Patrick Klein & Lou asst. Sam Williams

allenleavell

PostPosted: 03/22/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
~UK~ wrote:

Charlotte Smith
Cam Neubauer
Becky Hammon
Matthew Mitchell

Oh, please please please let them take Charlotte Smith out of the CAA!!!!!!!

Seriously, though, she is a very good coach, and a good recruiter. If she can get quality recruits at a place like Elon, I can just imagine what she could do at Florida. I have a high regard for her.

Get her outta there!!Man she can coach...I was listening to her postgame pressor after beating MY Tribe yet again. You can see why kids play so hard for her. Smith is very passionate and bring a calmness in her speech good or bad. She is close to my kids trainer and he always had her in high regard.
Crying or Very sad

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/22/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:

Charlotte Smith
Cam Neubauer
Becky Hammon
Matthew Mitchell

Interesting that Cam Neubauer and Matthew Mitchell are both on the list.

I'm thinking that Neubauer did more with less that what Mitchell did.

Also wondering if Neubauer was on the list prior to the KY game?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/23/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is the highest paid coach in the SEC. Butler has been one of the lowest. He'd either have to take a huge pay cut, or Florida would have to triple their guaranteed compensation. Ditto for the AC's. I don't see this happening. Unsubstantiated rumor says he's not moving until the Tenn job opens up. Now for Vic Schaefer, OTOH, it would be a very lucrative move.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 4 of 29

Jump to: