RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Duke vs #10 Oregon - 3/20/17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
espn3 freezing a lot for anyone else?

Yes.

continually

Are you seeing a new interface? It seems to buffer more instead of showing a low-res display.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu misses both FT's and then Oregon fouls Brown on a 3.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hold on Oregon!

70-65 lead with 13 seconds left!

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon wins 74-65.

Freshman Ruthy Hebard had 20 points and 15 rebounds
Freshman Ionescu had 6 assists and only 1 turnover

Duke's Lexie Brown had 25 points, 5 rebounds, and 6 assists. Wanted to see the drama of her playing her old team, similar to Linnae Harper facing Kentucky,but alas that isn't happening.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is also Oregon's first ever trip to the Sweet 16. I can't remember the last time they even made the tournament.

Wonder how often a 10 seed has made the sweet 16?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
This is also Oregon's first ever trip to the Sweet 16. I can't remember the last time they even made the tournament.

Wonder how often a 10 seed has made the sweet 16?

And Oregon is not a seasoned team, a lot of fresh faces.

Go Pac 12!!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Lexie Brown played PG for two seasons at Maryland but has been more of a SG at Duke. I saw an article about Lambert's injury and Brown seems to indicate that they are better when she is point guard. She had 9 assists and like 1 turnover so I'm guessing they will be fine. Teams tend to cut their rotation down in the tourney anyways so this would likely only be an issue if Brown was saddled in foul trouble.

“I’ll have to take more of the point guard responsibilities,” Brown said. “We’re most successful when I’m running the point and Becca is on the wing. We want to stick to what we’ve been doing all season long and this gives us a little extra motivation, playing for your teammate that’s down.” http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/03/duke-womens-basketball-adjusting-on-the-fly-ahead-of-ncaa-tournament-second-round-matchup-against-no-10-seed-oregon

This Lexie Brown quote is all you need to know. Very Diamond-like. "It's all about ME...it's ALL about ME." NOTE TO LEXIE: Kyra Lambert has run point all season - not you. YOU scored a lot of points but you suck as a PG. Becca and Ducky Odom could not shoot off your sucky passes. It's no wonder that Maryland fans were not sad when she transferred.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Kyra Lambert is out (ACL).

YEGADS. JPM has another excuse.

Dollars to donuts, this is the entire post game press conference.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon repped well for the Pac 12 tonight. I *thought* they were a bit better than a 10, but I had Duke winning in my bracket. Ducks looked really solid, given all their 'freshmen' (whoarentreallyfreshmeninMarchbut...). For their first NCAA tourney to get to the round of 16 is awesome!

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
It's no wonder that Maryland fans were not sad when she transferred.

She did have the reputation at Maryland of being a diva, which didn't fit in well with the team culture. (Despite her being a very talented player.)

If Lexie hadn't transferred, Destiny Slocum might not have chosen to come to Maryland. If anyone missed Lexie before, now that Destiny is here, nobody misses Lexie anymore.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have been saying to my buds all along that OR goes how Hebard goes Wink

stever

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attendance: 1,620 Shocked

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go home, Dook. See ya next year. Bye now.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Sounds like Duke only has 8 active players. They lost Lynee Belton on March 13.

Quote:
“Well, we are now the Electric Eight,” McCallie said of her shrinking rotation, which also lost sophomore Lynee Belton to a knee injury in practice on March 13. “We went from the Nasty Nine to the Electric Eight. It means that everyone is going to play. That is a good thing.”

Duke, under the previous coach, went to a FF with 8 total players on the squad.

The loss of Belton did not make much difference as she never fully recovered from her previous injuries and was a mere shadow of herself.

The loss of Lambert is much bigger because Lexie Brown is a better shooting guard than PG. She could not set up the wings - got most assists into the taller post players. Oregon's Hebard outplayed all of Duke's posts.

Kendall Cooper had a zombie lurch mowing down Ionescu during a dead ball. They reviewed it to see if it was a flagrant but after looking in those dead zombie eyes, they ruled that Kendall did not walk right into the Oregon player on purpose. After the game, it was suggested she try out for a part in The Walking Dead.

~rAf
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Lexie Brown's body language is not very good for a floor general who is supposed to be a leader. Reminds me a little of DeShields, they just seem mopey when things aren't going great. She is having a very strong game but man try to rally the troops, give your teammates positive encouragement. Not seeing those intangibles you see from the best PG's.

That's pretty common with Lexie. Watched her do that downtrodden act for 2 years at Maryland. Best get used to it.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
If Duke loses, how do you evaluate their season? Losing Salvadores and Stevens, no one could expect that they would be 28-5, ACC tournament runner up, #2 seed. But to lose on your home court as a 2 seed in the 2nd round to a 10 seed is rough. I hate judging a season on one game but it has to sting for Duke.

Compare it to the Duke MBB who was preseason number one, finished 5th place in the ACC, won the ACC tournament, and was also eliminated in the 2nd to a team that hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1973.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
If Duke loses, how do you evaluate their season? Losing Salvadores and Stevens, no one could expect that they would be 28-5, ACC tournament runner up, #2 seed. But to lose on your home court as a 2 seed in the 2nd round to a 10 seed is rough. I hate judging a season on one game but it has to sting for Duke.

Compare it to the Duke MBB who was preseason number one, finished 5th place in the ACC, won the ACC tournament, and was also eliminated in the 2nd to a team that hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1973.

You mean besides the one they won two days earlier...

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
Durantula wrote:

You mean besides the one they won two days earlier...

My mistake. The men also played in an hostile environment that was made even worse by their most hated rival fans being there cheering against them.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 03/21/17 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Lexie Brown's body language is not very good for a floor general who is supposed to be a leader. Reminds me a little of DeShields, they just seem mopey when things aren't going great. She is having a very strong game but man try to rally the troops, give your teammates positive encouragement. Not seeing those intangibles you see from the best PG's.

That's pretty common with Lexie. Watched her do that downtrodden act for 2 years at Maryland. Best get used to it.

I learned two things after Lexie left. She blames others for negative play and problems, including coaches. And, last season several opposing coaches told Brenda that she was better off with Chloe and Bones at PG.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SocksTerp wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I learned two things after Lexie left. She blames others for negative play and problems, including coaches. And, last season several opposing coaches told Brenda that she was better off with Chloe and Bones at PG.

Is that why they lost in the second round?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Attendance: 1,620 Shocked

Plenty of longtime Duke women's bball fans will not go back until the current coach is gone, gone, GONE for good. That attendance total should be embarrassing to Duke.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I don't have to get used to nothing as I'm no longer at the games.

Lexie was a big part of Duke Women's BBall resurgence from last season. Likewise, she was a major reason the team was ousted in the second round.

One thing Lexie is NOT is a point guard. She can get assists into the post but will shoot the ball instead of pass to a wing. If Kyra Lambert won't be ready to play next season (8 months post injury) then Lexie's better off moving on. Becca Greenwell also.

But, if it staying make Duke worse and JPM moves on before her contract is up (2 years) then I'm 100% for it. I'm in favor of virtually anything that leads to her being gone sooner.

~rAf
sammieee

PostPosted: 03/21/17 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just watched the game, my god, why did Duke continue to stay in zone for so long? Had Bando not brick a bunch of 3pters in the first half, would have been over way sooner (she hit like 3 or 4 in the 2nd half). After like the 10th open corner 3 Oregon had, you would think they would try something different.

justinabina

PostPosted: 03/21/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
SocksTerp wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Is that why they lost in the second round?

Laughing

It seems like Lexie, Chloe and Brene all needed each other to avoid that second round upset...

Imagine if Lexie had stayed at MD and the Terps had her at the 2 instead of Confroy in MD's starting line-up - wow! (Not to knock Confroy, who plays with a lot of heart.) But of course, Lexie's departure is what created space for Destiny to come and be a starter and a freshman star. This is just fantasy team playing in my mind. It's been a joy to watch the Terps this year regardless.

It does seem Lexie's happier at Duke, and she had a good year, so kudos to her. She's been a leader in a way that perhaps she felt she couldn't be at Maryland, where the leadership and scoring in her sophomore year was more spread out among her, SWK, Jones and Mincy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: