RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/18/17 8:44 pm    ::: Re: Kelsey Plum #1 Overall? Reply Reply with quote

BelloFratello wrote:
Ruth Riley is in Seattle at the NCAA tournament round one games presumably scouting Kelsey Plum for the top pick. I doubt she would fly all the way to Seattle to watch Maddie Manning Razz

Maybe she's checking out Peyton Ferris for a sneaky third round pick. So far, Ferris is out-scoring Plum.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 03/18/17 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could These 5 Mid-Major Stars Make A WNBA Roster?

http://herosports.com/wnba-draft/d1-womens-basketball-5-mid-major-stars-make-a-wnba-roster-blbl

Quote:
Jasmine Joyner, post, Chattanooga

"She’s got a big upside,” Chattanooga head coach Jim Foster said. “She’s gotten better every year. Nothing leads me to believe that is going to stop. I think she has added dimensions to her game every year she’s been here. I think she’ll make a lot of money playing this game.

“I think she’ll eventually find her way into a potential where she could have a shot at a WNBA situation because she is so versatile, coachable and an intelligent basketball player.”

Quote:
Ally Lehman, guard, Northern Illinois

The senior guard posted ridiculous numbers this season with averages of 18.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 6.5 assists per contest while shooting 48.4 percent from the field.

"Ally has a good basketball IQ, she sees the floor and she can score the basketball,” NIU head coach Lisa Carlsen said. “I've coached some talented players before, but I don't know that anybody makes the people around her better than Ally has made us this year. She's a fiery competitor and she's fierce on the court, and she'll run through the wall and do anything you ask."

Quote:
Kalani Purcell, forward, BYU

"Kalani had a very good year for us, she led the conference two years straight in rebounding and in assists,” BYU head coach Jeff Judkins said. “This year she had to change up her game a little bit because we looked for her to score more. She did that really well during the year, especially during our conference schedule. She also improved her defensive game, having to usually guard the other team’s best player."

Quote:
Dezz Ramos, guard, San Jose State

"With her ability to create off the dribble, shoot from distance as well as away from the ball off screening action, Dezz is a prolific scorer who can hurt opponents on all three levels,” San Jose State head coach Jamie Craighead said. “She has a high basketball IQ and the sky is the limit for her with a basketball in her hands."

Quote:
Jennie Simms, guard, Old Dominion

"I always tell everybody, to truly enjoy Jennie, come watch practice,” Old Dominion head coach Karen Barefoot said. “Basketball is her life. She enjoys her teammates, loves to play, lives for practice. She's definitely going to the next level. If she wants to, she can be a franchise player in the WNBA. I mean, the girl's going to outwork anybody."

zune69

PostPosted: 03/19/17 6:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond Deshields:

1.Has the physical tools
2.Has the athletic tools
3.Has the speed
4.Can create her own shot
5.Can create for teammates
6.Is a very good defender
7.Is a very good rebounder
8.Does not need the ball in her hand to make an impact on the basketball game.

Deshields imo is the #1 pick.San Antonio already has a diminutive pg(Jefferson) and a high volume mediocre defensive sg(Mcbride).Adding a high volume,ball dominate,undersize,poor defensive sg would be counterproductive.The silver stars should draft Deshields with the first pick then contemplate trading Mcbride.Diamond's perceived bad attitude is a non issue.I've never heard one of Diamond's teammates or coaches question her attitude or work ethic.Even if the perception was true,I can make a list of wnba players who had/have a diva-like attitude.

There are 3 the main components to basketball.Offense,defense,and rebounded.Deshields can do all three.

Jefferson/Plum= poor defensive,low rebounding backcourt
Jefferson/Mitchell= poor defensive,low rebounding backcourt

Diamond will be the #1 pick.

RP

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cannot see Ruth Riley passing on Plum after spending all those years on a team with Becky Hammon. Certainly not for a career 41.5 percent shooter, including 28.1 on 3s, with more turnovers than assists.

Plum may not be able to pull off all the tricks around the rim that Hammon could, but her size and high, quick release will allow her to create more scoring opportunities on the perimeter for herself than Hammon could.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Diamond Deshields:

1.Has the physical tools
2.Has the athletic tools
3.Has the speed
4.Can create her own shot
5.Can create for teammates
6.Is a very good defender
7.Is a very good rebounder
8.Does not need the ball in her hand to make an impact on the basketball game.

Deshields imo is the #1 pick.San Antonio already has a diminutive pg(Jefferson) and a high volume mediocre defensive sg(Mcbride).Adding a high volume,ball dominate,undersize,poor defensive sg would be counterproductive.The silver stars should draft Deshields with the first pick then contemplate trading Mcbride.Diamond's perceived bad attitude is a non issue.I've never heard one of Diamond's teammates or coaches question her attitude or work ethic.Even if the perception was true,I can make a list of wnba players who had/have a diva-like attitude.

There are 3 the main components to basketball.Offense,defense,and rebounded.Deshields can do all three.

Jefferson/Plum= poor defensive,low rebounding backcourt
Jefferson/Mitchell= poor defensive,low rebounding backcourt

Diamond will be the #1 pick.

If DeShields does those things consistently, no question ... but will she? Her track record suggests that she doesn't bring it every night. Maybe she will in the pros, though.

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plum over DeSheilds & Mitchell??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/19/17 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm getting to believe if both DeShields and Mitchell apply for 2017 WNBA Draft they'll be the top 2 selected in the draft, one way or another. I believe too there's more trades to come involving 1 or 2 of the top 6 selections of the draft. Also, I believe Coates' stock is dropping.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/19/17 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I'm getting to believe if both DeShields and Mitchell apply for 2017 WNBA Draft they'll be the top 2 selected in the draft, one way or another. I believe too there's more trades to come involving 1 or 2 of the top 6 selections of the draft. Also, I believe Coates' stock is dropping.

So Dallas would take Plum(#3) & B. Jones (#4)?

zune69

PostPosted: 03/19/17 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
I cannot see Ruth Riley passing on Plum after spending all those years on a team with Becky Hammon. Certainly not for a career 41.5 percent shooter, including 28.1 on 3s, with more turnovers than assists.

Stat comparison at the college level can be dubious.While Plum has better offensive numbers than Deshields,Tennessee plays in a tougher conference,and played a tougher non-conference schedule.

RP wrote:
Plum may not be able to pull off all the tricks around the rim that Hammon could, but her size and high, quick release will allow her to create more scoring opportunities on the perimeter for herself than Hammon could.

The difference is that Hammon played pg,Plum will have to play sg unless SA trades Jefferson.

ClayK wrote:

If DeShields does those things consistently, no question ... but will she? Her track record suggests that she doesn't bring it every night. Maybe she will in the pros, though.

From the way Diamond trains her body,I believe she's a self motivated basketball player.Diamond plays hard.Rarely have I seen a lack of effort on her part.Diamond's inconsistent play has more to do with the Tennessee program imo.Holly's too soft of a coach.I've seen lady vol players take low quality shots,be careless with the ball,and miss defensive assignments without any reprimand from coach Warlick.Vickie Johnson will have to put her foot down from day 1.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=18950713&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=18952453&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 03/19/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, today's game just put Miah Spencer into the 2nd round.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/19/17 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

So Dallas would take Plum(#3) & B. Jones (#4)?

Yes, Plum #3 and B. Jones #4 if DeShields and Mitchell both apply for the 2017 WNBA Draft but I'm not saying both Plum and B. Jones will play in a Dallas uniform because the #3 or #4 selection might be traded. Greg Bibb is involve with Dallas, they could make an unconventional move.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/19/17 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hammon had a decent amount of assists per game but didn't really play PG or at least didn't play PG for a decent chunk of her minutes at any rate. In NY T-Spoon was the PG in SA Hammon was often on the floor with H. Darling at PG in her early years there and D-Rob at PG in the later years.

Overall I think Hammon is a very good comparison for Plum, and Plum can distribute enough to also play the 1 if say SA drafts her and she is on the floor without Jefferson. Also while she isn't a great defender Plum has the shooting and size to play at the SG spot if need be. The bigger question in SA if you draft Plum is can you play Plum, with Jefferson and McBride at the 1-3 or does Plum come off the bench in more of a R. Williams in Dallas or J. Crawford for the Clippers kind of role to start?

If I'm SA I probably take Deshields but I would heavily consider Plum.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/20/17 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going into deep prospects, does anyone think that Hind Ben Abdelkader would be worth a third round gamble as a potential shooter at some point? As a 95 born player who was briefly a collegian, she should be eligible this year, right?
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Going into deep prospects, does anyone think that would be worth a third round gamble as a potential shooter at some point? As a 95 born player who was briefly a collegian, she should be eligible this year, right?

Yes, based on age she would be eligible. I've never heard of Hind Ben Abdelkader, much less watched her, so I can't comment on her game. Just looking at the numbers, those shooting percentages on good volume are eye-popping so I see why you're interested. Nonetheless, she's only 5-8 and listed as a SG. This draft is full of small guards. Most of them play PG, where a small guard is best suited, and most of them can also score. I'd say chances for your girl are slim. Her best bet is one of those teams who prefer to take a foreign player and leave them overseas to develop rather than draft an American who has little chance of making the team.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was not impressive in her time at Cal, for whatever that's worth.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Diamond and Mercedes are 'on the clock'. How long do they have to declare?

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

It's basically the same for everyone this year: 10 days before the draft. You have 24 hours after your final game if you're still playing inside that 10 days, but that's essentially the gap between the championship game and the draft this season.

Assuming the draft is April 13th as expected.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It's basically the same for everyone this year: 10 days before the draft. You have 24 hours after your final game if you're still playing inside that 10 days, but that's essentially the gap between the championship game and the draft this season.

Oh darn. I wanna know.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So for draft excitement I hope Diamond declares but,

doesn't Tenn have a quality red shirt PG coming back, and a really strong draft class including Westbrook who is the #1 or #2 player in the class? Could Tenn if no one leaves be a top 10 team next season? Would that appeal to Diamond and Mercedes to give it one more go round?

I mean if Diamond really wants to be remembered at Tenn wouldn't a possible final four run have some appeal? It would be crazy if Tenn ended up in the final championship game against UConn? Now that would be legendary.

With that said I think Diamond graduates this year, declares and ends up in Chicago. Either at #2 or a Chicago trade of #2 and #9 for #1 if SA doesn't want her and wants to get another piece in return. Chicago really only has room for one draftee anyway. Who better (or worse depending on your perspective) for Diamond to be mentored by than Cappie.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Since the date of the draft hasn't been officially announced, there's no hurry

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If San Antonio drafts Plum,who starts ?.......if the silver stars draft Plum could they package Jefferson & Mcbride for MCcoughtry ? or maybe Jefferson for Stokes ? I'm not against SA drafting Plum.I just think a backcourt of Jefferson.Plum and Mcbride will get exposed on defense.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jefferson/Plum/McBride would hardly be the smallest perimeter in league history, but if it doesn't work you can still play them all 30 minutes a night with minimal crossover when matchups work out.

As is invariably the case, they should just take whoever they think is the best player. Don't go with DeShields just because she seems an easier fit; only take her if you think she'll be the better WNBA player.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After tonight, anyone who uses "because she plays in a stronger conference" as an excuse for DeShields' shooting %s compared to Plum's can sit down. The Pac-12 has 2 more teams in the sweet 16 than the ACC and 3 more than the SEC. The PAC's 6th best team beat a 2 seed and their 5th best almost beat a 1 seed. They've been the best all year (and last year, actually). So, no, I don't think DeShields' shooting is because the plays tougher opponents, because she doesn't. It's because she's not a great shooter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 46 of 73

Jump to: