RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which player had the best chance to improve her draft stock?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK1996

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:57 pm    ::: Which player had the best chance to improve her draft stock? Reply Reply with quote

With the NCAA tournament starting tomorrow, I thought this might be an interesting topic. In the past we have seen players like Courtney Vandersloot and Ally Mallot improve their stock significantly in the tournament. So which players do you think could raise their stock with a strong NCAA tournament run?

PostPosted: 03/16/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

M.Russell

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/17/17 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
M.Russell

Kaela Davis

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 03/17/17 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
M.Russell

Kaela Davis

I agree.

Kaela has all the physical & athletic tools to be a top 4 pick.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/17/17 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sierra Calhoun

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
M.Russell

Kaela Davis

I agree.

Kaela has all the physical & athletic tools to be a top 4 pick.

She's going to have to learn to shoot.

stever

PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feyonda Fitzgerald:
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/elsewhere/basketball/former-lake-taylor-high-star-will-go-out-dancing-with/article_00c8c735-dbed-5dfe-8550-59adbf861861.html

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/17/17 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Akhator, Epps, K. Davis and A. Gray (if they decide to declare early) could all raise their stock. Or one or two bad performances can drop their stocks too. No one is mentioning K. Davis declaring early but I think with a good NCAA showing she could be a first rounder this year. Next year is pretty deep, and it looks like she might've played her way into the 2nd rd. Maybe late 1st in next year's draft.

PostPosted: 03/17/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking Russel, Akhator, and McCall could improve their stock. This draft is guard heavy. So if a team sees something they like they may bite. Epps is definitely a player who can rise as well. She had 30 points today.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think history has proven that taking the final few games of a four-year career as any kind of definitive measure of a player's pro potential is a mistake.

Just because a player is hot (or cold) right now won't have much impact on draft status for GMs with a clue.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brionna Jones

Last edited by RavenDog on 03/21/17 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/18/17 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I think history has proven that taking the final few games of a four-year career as any kind of definitive measure of a player's pro potential is a mistake.

Just because a player is hot (or cold) right now won't have much impact on draft status for GMs with a clue.

Possibly only because after the fact we assume the good ones were picked high because of a track record. Was Courtney Vandersloot going as high as she did before Gonzaga's run to the Elite 8 in her senior year? I think there are times when a player can make a GM legitimately believe in them in that final run of games. Admittedly, sometimes that might just mean that they should've believed beforehand.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Possibly only because after the fact we assume the good ones were picked high because of a track record. Was Courtney Vandersloot going as high as she did before Gonzaga's run to the Elite 8 in her senior year? I think there are times when a player can make a GM legitimately believe in them in that final run of games. Admittedly, sometimes that might just mean that they should've believed beforehand.

Vandersloot was likely going that high anyway. Clay is probably referring to players like Mokango, from the Congo, who went from nowhere to the first round based on a good tournament game or two.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could see the tournament demonstrating the talent of a player at a mid-major school who gets to go up against higher-level competition if a team advances as a Cinderella. But such a situation is rare.

I remember Laimbeer talking about the pre-draft camp on here years back and how useful it could be in evaluating the higher-end players once they compete with each other. I could see that being useful because you can mimic a pro-style game when there's equivalent talents on the floor simultaneously. To me, that's probably more effective than the tournament in terms of talent evaluation.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what WNBA people were thinking, but before the tournament, Rebkell posters were mostly projecting Vandersloot to be taken either high 2nd or low 1st Round. So, going #3 overall was a big jump if our board was any indication.

I think tournament performance makes more of a difference in a weak draft like this one. If you're not that thrilled with the available pool, then a player who steps up under pressure in do or die games may separate herself from the pack. Also, leaving a good final impression probably helps.

The best players don't usually attend pre-draft camp. It's primarily for bubble players: mid-major athletes who need to prove they can compete against good competition, athletic players who didn't put up numbers, players who need to transition to another position at the pro level, etc. It's also an alternative showcase for players whose teams didn't play in either the NCAA or WNIT tournaments.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
I don't know what WNBA people were thinking, but before the tournament, Rebkell posters were mostly projecting Vandersloot to be taken either high 2nd or low 1st Round. So, going #3 overall was a big jump if our board was any indication.

Agree. I also remember her being projected low to mid first round at best. Getting to the final 8 and going up against an uptick in level of competition and in the ultimate pressure situation in my opinion definitely helped her stock.

PostPosted: 03/19/17 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Lewis dominated a good but undersized Drake team today, and I'm curious what KSU is able to do against Stanford. I don't know if she'll raise her stock but considering how much of a hot commodity height is, I'm pretty surprised that a long, athletic 6'5" player is not getting more attention. IMO she's better than a handful of end-of-bench posts, at least.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/19/17 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Chantel Osahor could move up the draft board, she has a inside presence.

sigur3

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Breanna Lewis dominated a good but undersized Drake team today, and I'm curious what KSU is able to do against Stanford. I don't know if she'll raise her stock but considering how much of a hot commodity height is, I'm pretty surprised that a long, athletic 6'5" player is not getting more attention. IMO she's better than a handful of end-of-bench posts, at least.

I think she could go late 2nd-early 3rd round. As you said, she's a legit 6'5" and those don't grow on trees. Free throws are gonna be a problem though.

zune69

PostPosted: 03/19/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
I believe Chantel Osahor could move up the draft board, she has a inside presence.

Another overrated wnba prospect who doesn't pass the eye test and plays in a weak conference.The same goes for Wiese.

Akhator > Osahor and Fitzgerald > Wiese.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Another overrated wnba prospect who doesn't pass the eye test and plays in a weak conference.The same goes for Wiese.

Akhator > Osahor and Fitzgerald > Wiese.

Everybody is entitle to an opinion, that's yours. There's one thing about an opinion it's not a fact until it happens.

caune

PostPosted: 03/20/17 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Unless your name is Briann January .
She is the perfect example of a tournament run turning into becoming a high pick and than actually backing it up on court!
But she is the only one who comes to mind....

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not that impressed with Akhator. She had trouble finishing against college posts in this one game, though her season-long percentage is 56.8.

If she can score against WNBA posts inside, she has other skills, though the 32/71 A/TO is concerning.

Osahor was considered the weakest link on her national championship high school team that had five Power 5 players, but wound up being by far the best in college. It could be that she will do the same at the pro level, or it could be that she has reached her ceiling. She's so unusual, though, that she's much harder to project than more traditional posts such as Akhator.

PostPosted: 03/20/17 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think that any GM would want their players to actually make it up the floor and not lose half the shot clock while they are waiting for her Laughing Laughing Cool

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/20/17 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I would think that any GM would want their players to actually make it up the floor and not lose half the shot clock while they are waiting for her Laughing Laughing Cool

Of course ... and that's just what they said when she got out of high school. And yet ...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: