RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/19/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OT in Brookings.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 03/19/17 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ROLL TIDE!! Bama with a 2 point victory after freshman Jordan Lewis puts back her own miss with 5.1 seconds left. The Tide was down by as many as 13 in the 3rd quarter, cut it to 7 at the end of the 3rd. They will host the winner of Tulane/Grambling State on Thursday.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/17 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notable exceptions so far are JMU and MTSU, but otherwise it looks like mostly the bottom dwellers of the majors are the ones going thru to the round of 16.

- Amanda Gorman
KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/19/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado survives South Dakota State 81-75 F. Buffs lost starting guard Alexis Robinson yesterday in practice. CU coach JR Payne deserves a lot of credit for excellent player management in overtime. Kennedy Leonard led the Buffs with 29 points. Senior forward Haley Smith added 21 for CU who now heads to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes.

Jackrabbits should hold their heads high. Great program and fan base.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KatValeska wrote:
Colorado survives South Dakota State 81-75 F. Buffs lost starting guard Alexis Robinson yesterday in practice. CU coach JR Payne deserves a lot of credit for excellent player management in overtime. Kennedy Leonard led the Buffs with 29 points. Senior forward Haley Smith added 21 for CU who now heads to Iowa to take on the Hawkeyes.

Those two were fantastic to watch. The Jacks had no answer for them at all, throughout the entire game. Leonard hit some deep 3s for Colorado that were killer.

SDSU had two good chances to win at the end in regulation. Lexi Alexander missed a contested layup and then Ellie Thompson missed the putback.

It was definitely the game of runs. SDSU to start the game. Colorado answered in the 2nd Quarter and to start the 3rd. SDSU mustered enough to mount a 10 point deficit to force overtime and then Colorado made their last run.

Best of luck versus Iowa!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU over UVA 61-55, wll host Villanova Thursday evening at the Convo Center in Harrsonburg. The season rolls on!

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
KatValeska wrote:

Those two were fantastic to watch. The Jacks had no answer for them at all, throughout the entire game. Leonard hit some deep 3s for Colorado that were killer.

SDSU had two good chances to win at the end in regulation. Lexi Alexander missed a contested layup and then Ellie Thompson missed the putback.

It was definitely the game of runs. SDSU to start the game. Colorado answered in the 2nd Quarter and to start the 3rd. SDSU mustered enough to mount a 10 point deficit to force overtime and then Colorado made their last run.

Best of luck versus Iowa!

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I had to listen to the game on a radio. Not sure I can recall a team ever mounting that many comebacks against the Buffs. Seemed like the momentum was completely with SDSU as the clock wound down in regulation. Ecstactic, but still kinda stunned that CU pulled out the win there. Glad you were able to see Smith play. She works as hard for 40 (or more) minutes as any player I've had the pleasure of watching through a career. I so want to see that last longer. Leonard gets better every game. She had a lot of early turnovers, but seemed unflappably clutch in OT.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 03/19/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Leonard is quite a competitor. I was impressed with her in Colorado's games against Stanford.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/20/17 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thursday, March 23
St. John's at Michigan, TBA
Abilene Christian/SMU at Indiana, 7 p.m. ET
​Virginia Tech at Penn State, 7 p.m. ET
Villanova at James Madison, 7 p.m. ET
​Middle Tennessee at Georgia Tech, 7 p.m. ET
​Tulane at Alabama, 8 p.m. ET
​Colorado at Iowa, 8 p.m. ET
UC Davis at Washington State, 10 p.m. ET

I'm sure Michigan is trying to figure out how to maintain a live audience while playing at the same time as the men in the NCAA tourney. I could see an early start with the second half of the men's game broadcast on the scoreboard. Less likely is a later start.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/20/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Argh. I finally got a look at our regional and I see that Indiana is in it. Oh well, survive and advance. Next on JMU's plate is Villanova, who just barely beat Drexel, a team JMU had little trouble with during the season. So we will see.

Kenny Brooks and former protege Sean O'Reagan are having a friendly Twitter battle about a possible meeting in the Final Four. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCDavis' low bid must have been even lower than Wazzou's low bid. The WNIT folks probably weren't too excited about that. But it's nice to see if Wazzou can win at home as well as they've been doing on the road. Apparently Colorado hasn't been bidding either since this will be their third road game. Too bad, since they have a definite home court advantage because of the mile high aspect, but I expect Iowa should beat them on Iowa's home court. Still it could be an interesting game.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expected the B1G to do well here since they got fewer in the big dance. And fortunate for them, they're in three different brackets so they could all go through to the semis. They apparently ran out of 'West' teams so Iowa got thrown into that group. As long as they go on hosting it doesn't really matter to them.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I expected the B1G to do well here since they got fewer in the big dance. And fortunate for them, they're in three different brackets so they could all go through to the semis. They apparently ran out of 'West' teams so Iowa got thrown into that group. As long as they go on hosting it doesn't really matter to them.

Actually Michigan and Penn State are in the same bracket and will face off this weekend if both win on Thursday. No B1G teams were placed in the southeastern side of the bracket.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/20/17 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

I'm sure Michigan is trying to figure out how to maintain a live audience while playing at the same time as the men in the NCAA tourney. I could see an early start with the second half of the men's game broadcast on the scoreboard. Less likely is a later start.

Yep, 6:00 PM start has been announced.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/20/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's kind of hard to see how Michigan got left out of the big dance. But as I always say about the best of the rest - this way they have a shot at another trophy...and if I were a betting person, I would put my $ on them winning the WNIT, especially if they host throughout. the hosting is a really big deal. I always think it's worth about a 5 point advantage, sometimes more.

- Amanda Gorman
5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/20/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:

Actually Michigan and Penn State are in the same bracket and will face off this weekend if both win on Thursday.

No No No !!
One game at a time, sweet basketball gawds.
(wink)

Howee

PostPosted: 03/20/17 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It's kind of hard to see how Michigan got left out of the big dance. But as I always say about the best of the rest - this way they have a shot at another trophy...and if I were a betting person, I would put my $ on them winning the WNIT, especially if they host throughout. the hosting is a really big deal. I always think it's worth about a 5 point advantage, sometimes more.

If I hadta bet $, I'd say Indiana is a more likely victor. I think they both could have done well in The Big One. The Big Ten's second tier of teams were very good, imo. (MI, IN, MI-State, IA)

PostPosted: 03/21/17 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee is right. Indiana is the team to beat.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I think they're a good team, with a nice schedule but lacking any signature wins. On the flip side, finishing alone in third in the B1G is nothing to sneeze at. The late season slide, losing four out of their last five, hurt them the most.

Michigan's attendance has been weak so far. PSU will probably host (because they draw more) if both teams advance. Bryce Jordan Center has it penciled in for Sunday. Michigan lost there by one point in the last game of the conference season, so I'm sure the Wolverines would love to avenge the loss.

The Wolverines and the Hoosiers split this year with each team taking home court.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/17 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How good is SMU? They live in the AAC in the shadow of UConn, so nobody ever sees them, but that's who Indiana has to get past next. JMU has Villanova next in that region, and then...the winner of that game.

PostPosted: 03/21/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
How good is SMU? They live in the AAC in the shadow of UConn, so nobody ever sees them, but that's who Indiana has to get past next. JMU has Villanova next in that region, and then...the winner of that game.

They finished with an RPI of 100 but only have three road wins for the season. The Mustangs were one of four teams that finished with an AAC record of 7-9. SMU was the 6 seed in their tournament.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

They finished with an RPI of 100 but only have three road wins for the season. The Mustangs were one of four teams that finished with an AAC record of 7-9. SMU was the 6 seed in their tournament.

I guess it depends on what their OOC schedule was. I'll have to look it up. I know pretty much what the AAC looks like (other than that anomaly, UConn, which skews everyone else's RPI) so that's not really a factor.

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little about KBA facing St. John's:

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/womens-basketball/michigan-coach-barnes-arico-play-former-team

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/22/17 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those interested, here are the round of 16 match-ups (all games to be played Thursday night):

UC-Davis @ Washington State
Colorado @ Iowa

Tulane @ Alabama
Middle Tennessee @ Georgia Tech

St. John's @ Michigan
Virginia Tech @ Penn State

Villanova @ James Madison
SMU @ Indiana

The winners of the 2-game "pods" above will match up with each other.

brunie1064

PostPosted: 03/22/17 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
.... Apparently Colorado hasn't been bidding either since this will be their third road game. Too bad, since they have a definite home court advantage because of the mile high aspect, but I expect Iowa should beat them on Iowa's home court. Still it could be an interesting game.

Colorado's first round game against UNLV was a home game for the Buffs. But the attendance was, unfortunately, very poor at only in the low 800's. I don't know if Colorado bid for rounds 2 or 3 but, from an "atmosphere" perspective, SDSU certainly was the team that should have hosted in round 2.

Last edited by brunie1064 on 03/22/17 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: