RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The REAL bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RavenDog



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 5253
Location: Austin, TX


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
+1 AND these whitewash games needlessly bring about the possibilities for player injuries.


"Needlessly"? Do you propose that the NCAA just give UConn a bye into the 2nd Round? Sweet Sixteen? Elite 8? Final 4? National Championship game?


No, I'd prefer the field size be reduced.



_________________
CORINNE BAILEY RAE
The Heart Speaks In Whispers

pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53394
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
+1 AND these whitewash games needlessly bring about the possibilities for player injuries.


"Needlessly"? Do you propose that the NCAA just give UConn a bye into the 2nd Round? Sweet Sixteen? Elite 8? Final 4? National Championship game?


No, I'd prefer the field size be reduced.


If you're talking about eliminating automatic bids, that would make the vast majority of regular season games meaningless. Better to have a couple of games in March be needlessly risky than hundreds of them all through the season.



_________________
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2543
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well they earned their way in with an auto bid. My question is how they and NIU could possibly end up on the same seed line.


UNI beat Kansas St & Creighton in non-conference, (giving them more top-25 RPI wins than Maryland Smile ), while Drake's best non-conference win was against a Iowa team that faltered at the end of Big Ten play, so it makes sense that Drake could be the top 10-seed and UNI a lower 10-seed.

Actually, trying to figure out what the committee might have been thinking (besides or along with the male-coach conspiracy Smile ) with some of the seeds, here's my guess what they were thinking with some of the last teams in's seeds, knowing that (in some order) Auburn, Cal, Purdue, and UNI were the last teams in.

Purdue was ranked as a 10-seed, but let's have them play close to home in South Bend, so let's swap them with #9 seed Oregon (orange).

Was-ranked 10-seed California can't be with 2-seeds Stanford or Oregon St, and we can't swap them within the current #10-seed line with UNI because UNI already played Kansas St and Creighton this year (though we conveniently ignored regular season rematches elsewhere: see Louisville vs. Chattanooga). So let's swap them with Drake since Drake isn't too far away from Kansas St (<5 hours). (purple).

And I'm guessing South Florida was the best 10-seed but the committee decided they should stay in Florida instead of fly across country, so they swapped them with Toledo (green).

Basically I'm guessing Cal is seeded higher than Oregon because the committee decided that Purdue needed to play in South Bend, and they didn't bother switching Oregon & Cal afterwards to put them back at the seeds they started at.





Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 03/14/17 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3429
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no TV show I watched this week that was more interesting or better produced than the selection show.

The brackets are reasonable.

And, to me, irrelevant.

I'd prefer all game matchups to be drawn by lot before each round.

That goes along with my long-time preference for having the entire tournament played over a three to five day period, at one central location, with a reduced field of 48 or 42 or 36, and possibly double elimination. AAU tournaments are held like this, and so were the NIT and Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden in the 50's and 60's. You could get a three-day ticket for about $6 and watch great games for 10 hours a day. The arena was packed every day.


Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 03/14/17 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10441
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Meanwhile, I feel reallyREALLY bad for Syracuse.


Syracuse seed and placement is fine. I have no idea why anyone feels bad for them - just like their men's team, if they could beat *anyone* outside of the Carrier Dome, they would've fared much better. Their profile is not remotely near as good as Miami's. Miami was probably a 4/5 and Syracuse a 7/8, but it's nothing egregious.


You obviously know/see something I don't: Syracuse ended up ahead of Miami in the ACC, and beat the crap out of 'em in their head-to-head. How is Miami better? Shocked



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2543
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Meanwhile, I feel reallyREALLY bad for Syracuse.


Syracuse seed and placement is fine. I have no idea why anyone feels bad for them - just like their men's team, if they could beat *anyone* outside of the Carrier Dome, they would've fared much better. Their profile is not remotely near as good as Miami's. Miami was probably a 4/5 and Syracuse a 7/8, but it's nothing egregious.


You obviously know/see something I don't: Syracuse ended up ahead of Miami in the ACC, and beat the crap out of 'em in their head-to-head. How is Miami better? Shocked


Miami has no bad/poor losses, which was probably a big factor (Syracuse lost to Drexel & Georgia Tech), along with having a much better non-conference, and did better in the ACC Tournament. Actually there wasn't that much separation between being the last 4-seed and being an 8-seed this year.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

UNI beat Kansas St & Creighton in non-conference, (giving them more top-25 RPI wins than Maryland Smile ), while Drake's best non-conference win was against a Iowa team that faltered at the end of Big Ten play, so it makes sense that Drake could be the top 10-seed and UNI a lower 10-seed.


Drake beat UNI, not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES. Drake won the conference regular season. Drake won the conference tournament.

They're not equal. It doesn't remotely "make sense".


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 7864



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Does anyone not believe that if, say, Toledo was 107-0, THEY would be featured in a standalone 1-16 massacre?


Of course. UConn increases ratings; ratings generate ads; ads generate income. QED. The day that UConn doesn't increase ratings, the equation changes.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:


Miami has no bad/poor losses, which was probably a big factor.


Well, unless you consider a 33 point blowout to none other than Syracuse a bad loss.

This committee seemed more RPI oriented even than usual. And Miami had a much better RPI than Syracuse. I suspect it's that simple.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
linkster wrote:
Some here have made it clear that they have no interest in watching UConn but it has also been clearly demonstrated on the "ratings" thread that the mass market would, for the most part, rather watch a UConn blowout than an 8/9 game between two mediocrities or even most any other match up imaginable, and in the first round exciting games between two outstanding teams are non-existent. First round games are almost always either one-sided or a sad display of missed shots & unforced errors. Would a 2/15, a 3/14 or a 4/13 be more compelling? No. Or more watched? No. The numbers support that.

As much as some would have us believe that ESPN is in bed with UConn the fact is that UConn, even in a blowout, is the most popular show in wcbb and easily the biggest story of the tournament.


The entire point of team-based games is to compete with other teams to win the games. So you denounce games between two "mediocrities", where games are a "sad display of missed shots & unforced errors", and instead laud a game where ONE of the combatants will be such a team, versus Connecticut?

With the end result being a vastly un-competitive farce where the one team that is missing shots and committing errors stands out even more? At least with the other scenario, the playing field is more level and thus BOTH combatants have a more equal chance to compete and win. Which is the point of playing such type games, and also the main point why others like us wish to watch them. It's not that difficult to grasp, as long as one desires to.....


Your idea is true for the teams involved but not so much for the audience. People in general want to watch athletes display excellence. Nobody is going to put on a track meet involving 300 pound sprinters, no matter how "competitive the race. But they tune in to watch Edwin Moses win his umpteeth straight hurdle race, or to watch a Tiger Woods blow out a Masters field. Sure, the hope is for the game involving two teams playing excellent basketball, but they would rather watch one team playing great than neither team playing great. Look at the ratings for the UConn=South Carolina game. But if the choice is between watching a 49-46 Auburn win where there are more turnovers than baskets along with 60+ ft's, or watching UConn blow out USF 95-50, the public has spoken.

It's not a question of which is intrinsically better. It's a business decision ESPN makes based on which game will draw the highest rating and allow them to charge the most for commercials. Look at the ratings thread and the games from 2-27 to 3-6. Of all the games on ESPN2 the 3 UConn-USF blowouts drew the biggest audiences. Sure, the UConn-S Car game blew the doors off but we need to wait 2 or more weeks to get match ups like that one.


SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2543
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

UNI beat Kansas St & Creighton in non-conference, (giving them more top-25 RPI wins than Maryland Smile ), while Drake's best non-conference win was against a Iowa team that faltered at the end of Big Ten play, so it makes sense that Drake could be the top 10-seed and UNI a lower 10-seed.


Drake beat UNI, not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES. Drake won the conference regular season. Drake won the conference tournament.

They're not equal. It doesn't remotely "make sense".


I never said they were equal. I said Drake is a probably a better #10-seed (or they were actually a #9 seed as I theorized) than UNI.
Just like how UConn beat Baylor (along with South Carolina, and Notre Dame), yet nobody is bitching about how UConn and Baylor are equal because they are both #1 seeds because UConn is the better #1 seed.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
linkster wrote:
Some here have made it clear that they have no interest in watching UConn but it has also been clearly demonstrated on the "ratings" thread that the mass market would, for the most part, rather watch a UConn blowout than an 8/9 game between two mediocrities or even most any other match up imaginable, and in the first round exciting games between two outstanding teams are non-existent. First round games are almost always either one-sided or a sad display of missed shots & unforced errors. Would a 2/15, a 3/14 or a 4/13 be more compelling? No. Or more watched? No. The numbers support that.

As much as some would have us believe that ESPN is in bed with UConn the fact is that UConn, even in a blowout, is the most popular show in wcbb and easily the biggest story of the tournament.


There is another more parsimonious (Occam's Razor) interpretation of the ratings : the viewers who prefer UConn vs. 16 seeds to a competitive 8/9 game are UConn fans. Bandwagon UConn fans (created in the past decade because of their sustained excellence) would rather watch UConn play anybody, regardless of how elegant the basketball is. I do not doubt that there are some fans like you, Linkster, but the vast majority just want to watch their team play. I know I would watch ND/RMU even though the game will (hopefully) be terrible from a competitive standpoint, but I wouldn't want the rest of the nation to have that game forced upon them.


No body is forcing anyone to watch. And tell me what game would draw a bigger audience?

I don't watch college football anymore but back in the day when I did the networks would put on Notre Dame-Army when the final score would likely be 45-6 rather than put on any of a number of competitve games. Why? Were the networks "in bed" with Notre Dame or were they making a business decision? Notre Dame was a nationally popular team then and UConn is a nationally popular team now. The difference is that today you can watch your team or any other team you'd like to see from start to finish in near HD clarity. Back in the day your choice was either a Notre Dame blowout or bowling.


Phil



Joined: 22 Oct 2011
Posts: 879



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
+1 AND these whitewash games needlessly bring about the possibilities for player injuries.


"Needlessly"? Do you propose that the NCAA just give UConn a bye into the 2nd Round? Sweet Sixteen? Elite 8? Final 4? National Championship game?


Not just UConn.

I put together a proposal for a double-bye format which would give the top 32 teams a single bye, and the top 16 a double-bye.

It would materially increase the chances of some upsets, and would material decrease the number of blowouts.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:


It's not a question of which is intrinsically better. It's a business decision ESPN makes based on which game will draw the highest rating and allow them to charge the most for commercials. Look at the ratings thread and the games from 2-27 to 3-6. Of all the games on ESPN2 the 3 UConn-USF blowouts drew the biggest audiences. Sure, the UConn-S Car game blew the doors off but we need to wait 2 or more weeks to get match ups like that one.


Because ESPN is all about ratings and attracting the largest audience. uConn and Tenn games do that for ESPN.

ESPN proves daily that it doesn't give a shit about the good or growth or image of the game. And endlessly featuring these crapola UConn blowouts simply reinforces every horrible stereotype about WCBB. I'm sure it makes UConn fans and Bristol residents happy to see their home team on TV all the time. But it stinks for building interest in the sport. And it stinks for the rest of WBB fandom.

And don't give me this "elegance" garbage. It's not nearly as great as you imagine it to be.

There are other teams playing really good basketball. Indeed there are quite a few playing cleaner ball with fewer turnovers than UConn. They just aren't stocked with a whole bunch of top five recruits, so they don't win all of their games.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:


It's not a question of which is intrinsically better. It's a business decision ESPN makes based on which game will draw the highest rating and allow them to charge the most for commercials. Look at the ratings thread and the games from 2-27 to 3-6. Of all the games on ESPN2 the 3 UConn-USF blowouts drew the biggest audiences. Sure, the UConn-S Car game blew the doors off but we need to wait 2 or more weeks to get match ups like that one.


Because ESPN is all about ratings and attracting the largest audience. uConn and Tenn games do that for ESPN.

ESPN proves daily that it doesn't give a shit about the good or growth or image of the game. And endlessly featuring these crapola UConn blowouts simply reinforces every horrible stereotype about WCBB. I'm sure it makes UConn fans and Bristol residents happy to see their home team on TV all the time. But it stinks for building interest in the sport. And it stinks for the rest of WBB fandom.

And don't give me this "elegance" garbage. It's not nearly as great as you imagine it to be.

There are other teams playing really good basketball. Indeed there are quite a few playing cleaner ball with fewer turnovers than UConn. They just aren't stocked with a whole bunch of top five recruits, so they don't win all of their games.


You can characterize it all you want but if not for ESPN women's basketball would be something you watch at 3:00 am on regional cable channels in replay.

I can understand fans wanting someone other than UConn winning a NC but to suggest that there is a more compelling storyline than their winning streak anywhere in the country is silly.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
to suggest that there is a more boring storyline than their winning streak anywhere in the country is silly.


There. Fixed your typo.


PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 278



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
to suggest that there is a more boring storyline than their winning streak anywhere in the country is silly.


There. Fixed your typo.


+1. The winning streak became old news as soon as they broke the record.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 7840
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:


It's not a question of which is intrinsically better. It's a business decision ESPN makes based on which game will draw the highest rating and allow them to charge the most for commercials. Look at the ratings thread and the games from 2-27 to 3-6. Of all the games on ESPN2 the 3 UConn-USF blowouts drew the biggest audiences. Sure, the UConn-S Car game blew the doors off but we need to wait 2 or more weeks to get match ups like that one.


Because ESPN is all about ratings and attracting the largest audience. uConn and Tenn games do that for ESPN.

ESPN proves daily that it doesn't give a shit about the good or growth or image of the game. And endlessly featuring these crapola UConn blowouts simply reinforces every horrible stereotype about WCBB. I'm sure it makes UConn fans and Bristol residents happy to see their home team on TV all the time. But it stinks for building interest in the sport. And it stinks for the rest of WBB fandom.

And don't give me this "elegance" garbage. It's not nearly as great as you imagine it to be.

There are other teams playing really good basketball. Indeed there are quite a few playing cleaner ball with fewer turnovers than UConn. They just aren't stocked with a whole bunch of top five recruits, so they don't win all of their games.



Especially the horrible stereotype that the sport is overrun with lesbians?

UConn fans watch every game anyway, most via "their own" regional network. ESPN rarely carries an AAC game, and only airs the AACT semis and final. They aired most of the highly anticipated match-ups this year, as they do every year. How does this "stink for building the game"?

All NCAAT games are available via watchespn. No games are being pre-empted by the Albany-UConn game.

Not sure why Bristol residents were singled out.

Not sure why the rant.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 7840
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
to suggest that there is a more boring storyline than their winning streak anywhere in the country is silly.


There. Fixed your typo.


+1. The winning streak became old news as soon as they broke the record.


Amen. The hype re: #100 was especially embarrassing.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was also sick of the endless hype over 100.

But while it may be old news it still captures the interest of the public. Most streaks do or the media wouldn't be talking about them ad nauseam. DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak is over 75 years old but it still is talked about whenever someone reaches 20 games in a row. It was also the daily headline on sports pages while he was setting it back in 1941, before TV or the internet. There are endless examples of the way the public embraces streaks. The hype over the possibility of the Patriots going 19-0 is one recent example. Notre Dame fans love to bring up that they ended UCLA's streak at every opportunity.

I'm not trying to say that it is the best topic of the tournament but as far as generating interest among that part of the population that has had little interest in wcbb there isn't one better. It's certainly more interesting than that ridiculous hand clap contest that has the women of ESPN tweeting away or the whining over why a team is a 9 seed instead of a 6 seed. The bottom line of any tournament is winning it and while it may bore some or nauseate others, UConn is the lead story.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I was also sick of the endless hype over 100.

But while it may be old news it still captures the interest of the public. Most streaks do or the media wouldn't be talking about them ad nauseam. DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak is over 75 years old but it still is talked about whenever someone reaches 20 games in a row. It was also the daily headline on sports pages while he was setting it back in 1941, before TV or the internet. There are endless examples of the way the public embraces streaks. The hype over the possibility of the Patriots going 19-0 is one recent example. Notre Dame fans love to bring up that they ended UCLA's streak at every opportunity.

I'm not trying to say that it is the best topic of the tournament but as far as generating interest among that part of the population that has had little interest in wcbb there isn't one better. It's certainly more interesting than that ridiculous hand clap contest that has the women of ESPN tweeting away or the whining over why a team is a 9 seed instead of a 6 seed. The bottom line of any tournament is winning it and while it may bore some or nauseate others, UConn is the lead story.


What "public's" interest is captured? Nobody cares any more. Even ESPN barely covers it any more. It just doesn't matter. It's boring.

It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.

It was non-news when UCLA won 86, 87, 88. It was news when they got beat. As it will be when UConn gets beat. The next time the streak will matter is when they're celebrating some other school for ending it.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 53394
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The next time the streak will matter is when they're celebrating some other school for ending it.


Or when it reaches 200, whichever comes first.



_________________
Laugh about it, shout about it
When you've got to choose
Every way you look at it you lose
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2124
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
No, I'd prefer the field size be reduced.


So decrease the opportunities for student-athletes to compete in the NCAA Tournament? Got it.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
I was also sick of the endless hype over 100.

But while it may be old news it still captures the interest of the public. Most streaks do or the media wouldn't be talking about them ad nauseam. DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak is over 75 years old but it still is talked about whenever someone reaches 20 games in a row. It was also the daily headline on sports pages while he was setting it back in 1941, before TV or the internet. There are endless examples of the way the public embraces streaks. The hype over the possibility of the Patriots going 19-0 is one recent example. Notre Dame fans love to bring up that they ended UCLA's streak at every opportunity.

I'm not trying to say that it is the best topic of the tournament but as far as generating interest among that part of the population that has had little interest in wcbb there isn't one better. It's certainly more interesting than that ridiculous hand clap contest that has the women of ESPN tweeting away or the whining over why a team is a 9 seed instead of a 6 seed. The bottom line of any tournament is winning it and while it may bore some or nauseate others, UConn is the lead story.


What "public's" interest is captured? Nobody cares any more. Even ESPN barely covers it any more. It just doesn't matter. It's boring.

It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.

It was non-news when UCLA won 86, 87, 88. It was news when they got beat. As it will be when UConn gets beat. The next time the streak will matter is when they're celebrating some other school for ending it.


Maybe you should cut down on cheap wine. ESPN has maintained a running story of the streak and brought it up several times during the selection show. The seedings may have temporarily taken over the front page but only someone too lazy to look could miss it.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/page/uconnwinstreak/connecticut-huskies-ncaa-record-win-streak

I agree it's boring but I'm a UConn fan and enjoy my Schadenfreude but for a non-fan who finds it boring you spend an inordinate amount of time telling us all that over and over and over. Rolling Eyes


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
it still captures the interest of the public.


linkster wrote:

I agree it's boring


Make up your mind.

Or should we assume you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.


You are right that the team that ends it will make better news. There are Stanford fans that enjoy reminding UConn fans that they ended the last one. Maybe if UConn and Notre Dame make the final Notre Dame, by winning, would end not only the 112 game winning streak but also the 4 straight championship streak and the 11-0 streak in championship games.

Streaks always end. What I find much more impressive is the fact that, counting this year, UConn has lost 14 games and won 6 titles in the last 10 years. And 11 of those 14 losses came in a 3 year stretch. Like I told a Stanford fan, beating UConn started the Huskies on a new, record-breaking streak, while Stanford lost their next 2 games. Very Happy


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:
It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.


You are right that the team that ends it will make better news. There are Stanford fans that enjoy reminding UConn fans that they ended the last one. Maybe if UConn and Notre Dame make the final Notre Dame, by winning, would end not only the 112 game winning streak but also the 4 straight championship streak and the 11-0 streak in championship games.

Streaks always end. What I find much more impressive is the fact that, counting this year, UConn has lost 14 games and won 6 titles in the last 10 years. And 11 of those 14 losses came in a 3 year stretch. Like I told a Stanford fan, beating UConn started the Huskies on a new, record-breaking streak, while Stanford lost their next 2 games. Very Happy


That you're completely obsessed with it doesn't mean anyone else on the planet cares.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19327



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care if they want to showcase UConn, but why not let us choose? If we could watch an 8-9 game in the same time frame I wouldn't complain. Then I could click over to watch the excellent UConn machine cream their #16...during the timeouts of the other game. And the UConn fans could watch the whole creaming and we'd all be happy. Cream for all! and All for Cream (no not Creme and no comments from Howee). Actually I don't mind them playing it early in the morning my time zone as it will indeed be a good time to do housework or gardening and I won't miss much since they will show highlights and recap it all weekend ad nauseam anyway. So I'm happy and look forward to watching lots of games starting later in the day...only hoping the wrap-around doesn't focus entirely on the #1 seeds as my ESPN3 doesn't work very well. But at least it is SOMETHING!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't care if they want to showcase UConn, but why not let us choose? If we could watch an 8-9 game in the same time frame I wouldn't complain. Then I could click over to watch the excellent UConn machine cream their #16...during the timeouts of the other game. And the UConn fans could watch the whole creaming and we'd all be happy. Cream for all! and All for Cream (no not Creme and no comments from Howee). Actually I don't mind them playing it early in the morning my time zone as it will indeed be a good time to do housework or gardening and I won't miss much since they will show highlights and recap it all weekend ad nauseam anyway. So I'm happy and look forward to watching lots of games starting later in the day...only hoping the wrap-around doesn't focus entirely on the #1 seeds as my ESPN3 doesn't work very well. But at least it is SOMETHING!


There are 2 8/9 games on Saturday. The first one is the second game at Storrs. They make UConn the first game to get the fans there in hope many will stay for the second game. The other 8/9 game is the second game at Baylor, which is scheduled at 8:30 ET, a dubious time since the Baylor game is at 6:30 ET.
Go look at the schedule and tell me which 1st round game not only you, but the rest of the country would want at 11:00am ET. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20170318


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19327



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think for instance that the Dayton - Tennessee game might be entertaining in that time slot, at least until we see which Tenn team shows up. Any of the 8-9 matchups would be fine. Actually with these early round games, I'm pretty happy to watch the first quarter of any of them (including UConn) and then the last quarter of any that are actually competitive...so I guess in my optimal world they would start them 20 minutes apart. But I'm pretty sure that I'm not typical, so....I don't get my wish. Actually, as I said, I'm happy if they are going to give UConn exclusive rights to a time slot, that it is so early in the morning so I can get chores done before I get my basketball watching attire/mentality assembled.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 19327



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is no TV show I watched this week that was more interesting or better produced than the selection show.

The brackets are reasonable.

And, to me, irrelevant.

I'd prefer all game matchups to be drawn by lot before each round.

That goes along with my long-time preference for having the entire tournament played over a three to five day period, at one central location, with a reduced field of 48 or 42 or 36, and possibly double elimination. AAU tournaments are held like this, and so were the NIT and Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden in the 50's and 60's. You could get a three-day ticket for about $6 and watch great games for 10 hours a day. The arena was packed every day.


re: the selection show. Perhaps you, like me watch very little tv. Or is it actually that all the shows are that bad?

I kind of like your idea of a weeklong fest but not with random matchups...then we could maybe have a UConn v. Dayton final because all the top teams happened to play on the UConn side. I know, the probabilities ain't good. But you could still start with 64 and have the first matchups at the 1-4 sites. But then the 16 left could all play at one NEUTRAL venue which moved around the country from year to year.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 10763



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
. Actually, as I said, I'm happy if they are going to give UConn exclusive rights to a time slot, that it is so early in the morning


How about 6am EST so it's over before I have my first cup of coffee? That works. Very Happy


SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 2543
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going back to my earlier thinking, now I decided (also) that Cal got seeded ahead of Oregon because the committee felt that Duke (the weakest #2)'s sub-region was too weak after they geographically put perhaps (IMO) the weakest #7 seed (Temple) and weakest #15 (Hampton, who likely switched seeds with Albany), when the weakest #2 seed should theoretically have the best #7 and #15 seeds to be balanced. So they compensated for having a weak 7 & 15 seed there by putting in a should-be #9 seed as the #10 seed there, since Oregon or Cal would have to fly to Waco/Durham anyways so they had no geographical concerns with making that swap.


EDIT:
Another new guess that just popped in my head is maybe UNI was originally an 11-seed and Elon a 10-seed, but they swapped the two so Elon could play at Maryland, which is closer.




Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 03/15/17 11:41 pm; edited 6 times in total
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 2589



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Going back to my earlier thinking, now I decided (also) that Cal got seeded ahead of Oregon because the committee felt that Duke (the weakest #2)'s sub-region was too weak after they geographically put perhaps (IMO) the weakest #7 seed (Temple) and weakest #15 (Hampton, who likely switched seeds with Albany), when the weakest #2 seed should theoretically have the best #7 and #15 seeds to be balanced. So they compensated for having a weak 7 & 15 seed there by putting in a should-be #9 seed as the #10 seed there, since Oregon or Cal would have to fly to Waco/Durham anyways so they had no geographical concerns with making that swap.


The committee could have solved the weakness of the Duke half of the Bridgeport region by taking Tenn and instead of dropping them to a 5 seed, raising them to a 7 and swapping them with Temple. It would also take care of having the possibility of Tenn and LSU having to meet prior to the regional final, somthing the committee is supposedly committed to "making an attempt" to avoid. A possible Duke-Tenn game in the second round would have been very interesting.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 3429
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is no TV show I watched this week that was more interesting or better produced than the selection show.



re: the selection show. Perhaps you, like me watch very little tv. Or is it actually that all the shows are that bad?


I did not watch the selection show or any other TV show this week. Therefore, my statement is true . . . though meaningless.

I just tire of all the bitchin. Bitch about selection shows. Bitch about brackets. Bitch about seed lines. Bitch about announcers. Bitch about networks. Bitch about coaches. Bitch about politics. Bitch about life.

Everyone should just go paddle a mountain lake . . . or a Canadian shield river . . . or a cypress swamp. And focus on Creation.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 7840
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
The next time the streak will matter is when they're celebrating some other school for ending it.


Or when it reaches 200, whichever comes first.



It will matter at 113.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 376
Location: AC, NJ


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/17 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I was also sick of the endless hype over 100.

Notre Dame fans love to bring up that they ended UCLA's streak at every opportunity.



That's breaking a streak, not continuing an ongoing streak. That's a different thing.

BTW, ND's done that in 3 separate sports (Football, Men's Basketball, and W. Soccer). In both Football and Men's Basketball, ND actually bookended the streak (well, technically the Football one wasn't quite bookended by ND. ND was the last team to beat OK before the streak, but their win streak started after a tie the following week to Nebraska).

BTW, a bit of trivia, since you brought up the UCLA game. UCLA was obviously ranked #1. What was ND ranked entering that game?


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 14778
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cream for all!


On it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yPIXJ7B2I7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
"Silence must be heard, noise should be observed
The time has come to learn, that silence...
SILENCE MUST BE HEARD..."
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 7840
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump is not president.


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Cream for all!


On it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yPIXJ7B2I7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



Excellent!



_________________
Silly, stupid white people.
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1080



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear there would be bitchin about bitchin on bitchin. Love that we were the ones that ended the last streak, love watching good basketball so that includes Uconn sorry biatches. Just like me y'all wish your team could do the same. Cool


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 376
Location: AC, NJ


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/17/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:


I don't watch college football anymore but back in the day when I did the networks would put on Notre Dame-Army when the final score would likely be 45-6 rather than put on any of a number of competitve games. Why? Were the networks "in bed" with Notre Dame or were they making a business decision? Notre Dame was a nationally popular team then


Just for some context here, what constitutes "back in the day?" If it was from the 90s on, that was largely due to a combination of the breakup of the CFA (and the rise of ESPN and other sports networks) and ND's NBC deal (which technically didn't "take a broadcast away from a team" since ND was the only team they were broadcasting and the other networks were covering everyone else, so in a way, ND's deal opened up spots on other networks when ND was playing at home).

If you are suggesting the CFA period (1980s) the few nationally televised games against "lessor" foes were on WGN, hardly a major network (and the only game against Army had a score that was 24-10, hardly the 45-6 one you suggest). If you are talking about a game on NBC, then they couldn't cut away to another game because ND was the only team they had a deal with.

Throughout the 80s, ND's nationally televised games were fairly close ones, except for the ones on "Sportschannel" which was a fairly small network trying to compete with ESPN. Before the CFA (when the NCAA controlled all TV rights), ND would have 1-2 regular season games, and those were against top level opponents.

BTW, these were the televised ND-Army games I could find pre-2002 (the last media guide that listed this info, since it was the last one before the limited the size of the media guides):

Nationally: 1985 ND 24 Army 10 (WGN), 1998 ND 20 Army 17 (NBC)
Regionally: 1957 ND 23 Army 21, 1995 ND 28 Army 27

I don't really see the example you suggested.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin