RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, Queenie. I'm just over it. I apologize.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sent my request in for my "ticket" at 12:30 this morning and got it punched at 9 am for Ball State at Indiana.

Considering my heart is still broken from the last two games I hope for a better outcome for the team from the MAC. But I am eager to see Teri Moren in action up close and personal for the first time as IU coach.

The entire season has been a surprise for Ball State.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Kim Barnes Arico will face her former school in St. John's if those teams advance to round 3.

I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS

I AM VERY NOT OKAY WITH THIS

St. John's is my team, but Kim's staff is my crew. And it'll feel reaaaaaally awkward wearing Joy's jersey...

I feel the same about Sue and crew at CMU. She still has a lot of friends here, and her staff has deep ties. AHC, Heather Oesterle, was one of my favorite nitty gritty U-M players. AC Raina Harmon did a year here as DBO under Borseth. DBO Phil Wendland was behind the bench for five years as a manager as a student. This is why I dabble in the MAC.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/15/17 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I am almost as intrigued and excited about the NIT this year as I am the NCAA Tournament. I think it has to do with so many mid-majors that I feel are of pretty high quality being in the NIT. I know it happens every year but for some reason I feel like this NIT field is really, really strong.

I'm more excited and not just because of the Buffs. This is like the movie that we don't already know how it ends.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/16/17 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wednesday, March 15

Little Rock - 72 at Southern Miss - 62

UALR moving on to the 2nd round of the WNIT

snzuluz

PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember the WNIT is a money making adventure for the organization that puts on this event...school bid to host games at their place...highest bidder ($$$) gets to have a home game...

One year the Badgers hosted home games until they got to the championship and then the school would not outbid the other team for the final game...I think they played Wyoming that year? Found it funny that a mid-major school would outbid a Big Ten school...guess it shows where the AD's importance is...

Anyway, the schools who are eager to pay out some big $$$ gets to host...my guess is NIU administration was not eager to pay out money or a possible arena conflict...my guess would be they did not want to pay $$$ to host a home game...

I think it is misleading the general public on how the NIT works for men and women for the post season play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is it misleading? I don't think it's any secret.

The men's NIT is now owned by the NCAA. The WNIT is still owned by a private for-profit company.

UVA fans are annoyed that their school declined to bid on any home games, while the other ACC teams in the field (including rival VaTech) were willing to make the investment for their WBB team.

Attendance usually isn't very good for these games so I think most schools lose money. It's all about investing in your program and players.

brunie1064

PostPosted: 03/16/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
......One year the Badgers hosted home games until they got to the championship and then the school would not outbid the other team for the final game...I think they played Wyoming that year? Found it funny that a mid-major school would outbid a Big Ten school...guess it shows where the AD's importance is...

The year you are referring to is 2007. Wyoming drew attendance of 15,462 for that WNIT final. This was after Wyoming drew crowds of 12,225 to the semi-final and 11,253 to the quarter-final. All three of these attendance figures are in the top 10 all-time records for the WNIT.
Rather than showing where the AD's importance is I think this showed that the Wyoming AD knew he could bid high and that the fans attendance would support that.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/16/17 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Road trip to Penn State! I will enjoy it.

Uh-oh, just got my tickets, better keep us separated.

petrel

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grambling beats Mississippi 78-75 in opening round. Big win for Grambling.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/17 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Alabama is do-able, if the girls can get up for it

Alas, the Teddy Bears came out flat and have stayed that way...

PostPosted: 03/16/17 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abilene Christian has Oklahoma State on the ropes. 55-43 with 6 minutes left.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/16/17 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allie Disterhoff is Iowas all time leading scorer after garnering 21 points in the Hawkeyes WNIT win over The MoSt bears

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/16/17 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado downs UNLV 66-52. Kennedy Leonard lead all scorers with 23 points, Alexis Robinson had 16 and Haley Smith added 11 points and 9 rebounds.

Colorado now heads to Brookings, S.D. to take on the Jacktrabbits on Sunday at 1 p.m. MST

Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Allie Disterhoff is Iowas all time leading scorer after garnering 21 points in the Hawkeyes WNIT win over The MoSt bears

THIS is great news....well-deserved honor for an amazing kid!

PostPosted: 03/17/17 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teri Moren outcoached Sallee and Tyra Buss and Alexis Gassion were playing at a level well beyond the WNIT. Ball State did not have a chance.

Indiana is my pick to win it all. It is a shame they were in the WNIT because they are a lot better than most of the teams that got an at large bid in the NCAA.

PostPosted: 03/17/17 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, knowing all of the Madison coaches at the time of WNIT final, the AD did not want to pay up and a mid major program out bid them after he was willing to pay out for every other round...not sure that sends a good message the players either and I am sure Bucky's athletic budget was much greater then Wyomings...

Look at the Badger program over MANY years...they hang on to coaches too long because they do not want to pay them out and do not hire top major level head coaches or #1 assistant coaches...

Last three have come from mid-major program (Drake), #3 assistant at Stanford, and the current coach who did not come from a major conference (only one team from his former conference has made it into the big dance and he was not the top assistant at the time he was at ND)...

The only constant in Madison is the AD - Barry and the associate AD's who hire and work with women's basketball...in the end the buck stops with Barry A!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/17/17 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
the current coach who did not come from a major conference (only one team from his former conference has made it into the big dance and he was not the top assistant at the time he was at ND)...

Wow. First, you're right, he wasn't the top assistant at Notre Dame...he was only the Associate Head Coach! He was also in charge of their recruiting. Seems as though they recruited pretty well while he was there. He is a very good judge of talent, a motivator and an excellent x's & o's coach.

So, he takes that resume to George Washington as a head coach. What does he do there in his 4 years after taking over a team that had gone 11-18 the year before his arrival? He goes 92-38 with 3 postseason trips, including 55-11 over his last 2 years, which both ended with trips to the NCAA's.

I have no idea what your expectations were in his first year taking over that dumpster fire, but he will have them competitive very soon I have no doubt. Seriously...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
snzuluz wrote:
the current coach who did not come from a major conference (only one team from his former conference has made it into the big dance and he was not the top assistant at the time he was at ND)...

Wow. First, you're right, he wasn't the top assistant at Notre Dame...he was only the Associate Head Coach! He was also in charge of their recruiting. Seems as though they recruited pretty well while he was there. He is a very good judge of talent, a motivator and an excellent x's & o's coach.

So, he takes that resume to George Washington as a head coach. What does he do there in his 4 years after taking over a team that had gone 11-18 the year before his arrival? He goes 92-38 with 3 postseason trips, including 55-11 over his last 2 years, which both ended with trips to the NCAA's.

I have no idea what your expectations were in his first year taking over that dumpster fire, but he will have them competitive very soon I have no doubt. Seriously...

Jonathan Tsipis was one of the hottest coaches in the country when he took the Wisconsin job. Indeed a lot of people wondered why he took that job rather than waiting for a much better opportunity that certainly was coming. There's no chance Wisconsin could have done better.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Remember the WNIT is a money making adventure for the organization that puts on this event...school bid to host games at their place...highest bidder ($$$) gets to have a home game...

One year the Badgers hosted home games until they got to the championship and then the school would not outbid the other team for the final game...I think they played Wyoming that year? Found it funny that a mid-major school would outbid a Big Ten school...guess it shows where the AD's importance is...

Anyway, the schools who are eager to pay out some big $$$ gets to host...my guess is NIU administration was not eager to pay out money or a possible arena conflict...my guess would be they did not want to pay $$$ to host a home game...

I think it is misleading the general public on how the NIT works for men and women for the post season play.

Michigan ADs have been very supportive and have put a lot of money into bids; however, the dollar amount is not the only factor. Attendance numbers and game atmosphere work into the hosting equation.

rabidrabbit

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Dakota St puts $$ and butts in the seats for the WNIT. If Jacks get all home games, Frost Arena will be a sell-out to bring a second straight WNIT back to South Dakota.

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Off to watch SDSU/Colorado today! Hoping for a good game, in favor of the Jacks! Razz

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And we are off to see JMU-UVA. UVA is The Man's alma mater and he doesn't like or support their athletic teams at all. Go Dukes!

PostPosted: 03/19/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going to the PSU v Fordham game. Expecting a regression-to-the-mean, for both teams = may be a ragged game.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 03/19/17 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buffs answer the 15-0 run by the Rabbits with an 11-0 run of their own. South Dakota State up 29-28 at the half.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: