RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 NIT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:23 pm    ::: 2017 NIT Reply Reply with quote

Ole Miss is hosting Grambling and is losing 64-61 after 3 quarters. They were down 12 at halftime so this is a good run but an SEC team does not want to end their season losing at home to Grambling. That would be a momentum killer.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grambling upsets Ole Miss 78-75. Not the way you want to end year 4 at Ole Miss for Matt Insell.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As per the SWAC, this is the first ever postseason win for a SWAC WBB team. Well done, Grambling!

Meanwhile in Fairborn, I assume this is not how mzonefan wanted to avoid their own personal Awkward Bowl: http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=92416&DB_OEM_ID=27000&ATCLID=211524215

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

81 Alabama
57 Mercer

PostPosted: 03/16/17 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten teams fared well tonight: MI, IA, and IN all post first-round victories. I do believe any of these three might have done well enough for themselves in the Big Dance, had they made it in. Onward and upward!

PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
As per the SWAC, this is the first ever postseason win for a SWAC WBB team. Well done, Grambling!

Meanwhile in Fairborn, I assume this is not how mzonefan wanted to avoid their own personal Awkward Bowl: http://www.wsuraiders.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=92416&DB_OEM_ID=27000&ATCLID=211524215

I was watching the last few minutes on my phone. CMU's chip shot to tie rimmed out as time expired.

I was talking with our radio guy after last night's game. He said Sue had never won a WNIT game at CMU - they've always lost in the first round....

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Big Ten teams fared well tonight: MI, IA, and IN all post first-round victories. I do believe any of these three might have done well enough for themselves in the Big Dance, had they made it in. Onward and upward!

Michigan ran Kent State to a 21 point deficit at the half and then cruised/settled/got tight and let the Golden Flashes back within 5 with two minutes left. It was a little sketchy there for a bit. Good thing we made our free throws.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/17/17 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Princeton loses to Villanova in the 1st round of the NIT. A couple of years ago the Princeton coach was a hot name in the coaching circles. After a 16-14 season I wonder if AD's will still have the same level of interest. Not like she's any worse of a coach, but seems like at the mid major level, whoever has an impressive tourney showing jumps to the front of the wish lists. This year maybe its the LBSU's, Belmont's or WKU's of the world whose coaches get that ball.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Penn State looked to be poised to blow out Ohio after entering the fourth quarter with a 15 point lead. Then Ohio broke out its rarely used fullcourt press to force some turnovers and revived its dormant 3-point attack to close within 5 with about two minutes left. But the Bobcats couldn't stop the Lady Lions from scoring, and Penn State ended up winning by 9.

First trip to the Bryce Jordan Center for me, and it is a very nice facility. 15000 seats, and I'd guess about 2500 of them were occupied tonight.

PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile in Jamaica, the Red Storm decided to lull Sacred Heart into a false sense of security for the first half before dropping 29 points of boom in the third quarter.

Next up, Hahvahd.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/18/17 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Wazzu whose victory over BYU marked the program's first ever postseason victory.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/18/17 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun times in Harrsonburg last night as JMU walloped Radford 80-59. Everybody played, everybody scored, and Savannah Felgemacher had a career night with 11 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Precious Hall played fewer minutes than usual (27) and scored "fewer" points than usual (23) as scoring was more balanced. About halfway through the second Q Radford definitely looked like they just wanted to go home; they were obviously not used to the kind of swarming, collapsing defense that JMU plays. Of course, as The Man said, they could have been elsewhere getting their lunch eaten by South Carolina.......

And JMU has a date with :UVA on Sunday.

PostPosted: 03/18/17 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wolverines are making me nervous. This is the post game summary from this afternoon's game:

» Hallie Thome scored a game-high 23 points to go with seven rebounds. She topped 1,000 career points in the game, becoming the third sophomore in school history to reach the mark.
» In addition to Thome, Katelynn Flaherty (15) and Kysre Gondrezick (14) reached double figures in scoring.
» Wright State took its first lead of the game, 64-63, with 4:52 remaining, but Michigan held WSU to just two points the rest of the way. U-M got four points from Thome, two from Jillian Dunston and two from Nicole Munger to close the game.

Site: Ann Arbor, Mich. (Crisler Center)
Event: WNIT (Second Round)
Score: Michigan 71, Wright State 66
Records: U-M (24-9), WSU (25-9)
Next U-M Event: WNIT Third Round - vs. St. John's or Harvard, Date/Time/Location TBD

Queenie, I'd like to meet you if you come to Ann Arbor.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/19/17 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We won't be going to Ann Arbor. Haven't got the cash, can't get the time.

5thmantheme

PostPosted: 03/19/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Penn State looked to be poised to blow out Ohio after entering the fourth quarter with a 15 point lead. Then Ohio broke out its rarely used fullcourt press to force some turnovers and revived its dormant 3-point attack to close within 5 with about two minutes left. But the Bobcats couldn't stop the Lady Lions from scoring, and Penn State ended up winning by 9.

First trip to the Bryce Jordan Center for me, and it is a very nice facility. 15000 seats, and I'd guess about 2500 of them were occupied tonight.

Odd game. PSU was without their #2 scorer Spann, and Page got knocked down hard, played hurt the rest of the way. Frosh guard Frazier picked the right day to have her best outing.

The normal crowd would have been bigger, but the snow forecast and Hockey champs and Wrestling Nat Champs were stealing eyeballs. Heck there were 25000+ green shirts carousing downtown for st.pats.

Dude in my section recognized a certain Alger family member, dressed appropriately in a purple shirt.

cattekin

PostPosted: 03/19/17 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UC Davis plays on!!

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 03/19/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

5thmantheme wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Odd game. PSU was without their #2 scorer Spann, and Page got knocked down hard, played hurt the rest of the way. Frosh guard Frazier picked the right day to have her best outing.

The normal crowd would have been bigger, but the snow forecast and Hockey champs and Wrestling Nat Champs were stealing eyeballs. Heck there were 25000+ green shirts carousing downtown for st.pats.

Dude in my section recognized a certain Alger family member, dressed appropriately in a purple shirt.

Taylor Agler had her best game as a Bobcat, scoring 18, including 4 threes. And the elder Agler actually got a call reversed for her, hollering "She was in the circle! She was in the circle!" after Taylor had been whistled for a charge. Durned if the ref didn't point at the circle and reverse herself. Wonder if she knew who was yelling at her.

PostPosted: 03/19/17 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does the WNIT determine the host team?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/19/17 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNIT has updated the brackets to show all round 3 games will be held on Thursday.

The Michigan v St. John's time hasn't been set yet. The theory is they're waiting to see when the U-M men will play as to not have a conflict.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU gave UVA a rather rude welcome to the Convo Center today. It seems that UVA has refused to play JMU for several years since the last time JMU beat them (that was before I moved here so I don't know, I've just heard that rumor). So today the pep band director leaned over the railing before the playing of "Start Wearing Purple" and yelled "JMU is gonna beat UVA today!"

And so they did. It was pretty much back and forth all game, with multiple multiple lead changes and a lot of scrapping. UVA appears to be a team that is very scripted, while JMU is more adaptable to other teams' styles after a bit. The final was 61-55 JMU. Also, the UVA pep band is boring.

Last edited by summertime blues on 03/20/17 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cattekin wrote:
How does the WNIT determine the host team?

The teams bid for the 'honor'. In other words, whoever pays the most hosts.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/17 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is that it also has something to do with the fan base. JMU has an awesome fan base. We're hosting Villanova-JMU on Thursday,

PostPosted: 03/23/17 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan v St. John's info for tonight:

Live Stats http://www.mgoblue.com/gametracker/launch/gt_wbaskbl.html?event=1546338&school=mich&sport=wbaskbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

Live Audio http://www.mgoblue.com/collegesportslive/?media=551184

Video $ BTN Plus

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/17 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Gondrezick tonight for Michigan.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/23/17 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St John's 30-29 at half

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: