RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN Coverage Could Be Better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!

Gotta love DTV.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Gotta love DTV.

I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/16/17 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Gotta love DTV.

I know...and just when I'm thinking about switching. I swear the price goes up every month and the "fees" have become a long laundry list.

Yeah, I'm not re-upping after my 2-year deal is over. Other than the basketball, I just don't need/want the rest.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Gotta love DTV.

Yeah, I'm not re-upping after my 2-year deal is over. Other than the basketball, I just don't need/want the rest.

I love it, but you have to call and beg for discounts.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/16/17 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Howee wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Gotta love DTV.

I love it, but you have to call and beg for discounts.

It's too expensive the 2nd yr., but it's the most WCB you can get. My sub. ends in June. I might dump it after the tournament and try one of the shitty streaming options then re-up next season.

PostPosted: 03/16/17 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another great thing about the men's tournament is staggered start times not all within 15 mins like the women

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.

I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.

DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.

I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.

DTV did this during the Olympic games and did not charge even if you fif not have the sport pac. Hope they don't charge for this I'll have to check unless someone finds out before I do and post it.

They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/17/17 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing but the espn college extra logo showing up so far on mine.

PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if wrap around coverage actually wrapped around.

- Amanda Gorman
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I have to run over to Bristol and apply for the job of mopping up all that drool.

Rolling Eyes

The question I have is why does anyone expect ESPN to treat wcbb any differently than they and all the other media that covers sports treat every other sport? Worshiping stars is what they all do. It's amusing how those that want women's basketball to get equal treatment are unhappy when they get exactly that. The money that pumps through sports comes for the most part from advertisers and advertisers want stars to put on the front of their cereal boxes and endorse their deodorants. Look at college football. For the most part national coverage focuses on the half dozen Heisman Trophy candidates to the exclusion of the thousand of athletes that participate. Team coverage is mostly speculation about which 4 of 10 teams will make the championship playoffs. The coverage of pro basketball is more of the same except that as much time is spent examining the players private lives as their performance on the court.

You want women in the WNBA to earn multi-million dollar salaries? Then you have to put up with baggage that in addition to the above includes dealing with the corruption that comes from having billions of dollars gambled on the games.

People need to stop for a moment and realize that ESPN gives them an opportunity to watch any wcbb tournamnt game from start to finish on-line. Yeah, the wraparound coverage can be frustrating but then I can remember having to listen to the mens games on radio. The complaining reminds me of a kid with a candy bar whining because they don't have an ice cream cone.
Very Happy

Don't bother. ESPN is laying off a LOT more employees this month. I'm sure drool moppers will be first to go.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 03/17/17 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused
Why would anyone in 2017 settle for "whiparound coverage?" Is that even a thing anymore? Confused

That's a real head scratcher why anyone would even bring something like that up. There's this thing called the Internet now. Everyone with a paid TV subscription can take advantage of the WatchESPN app (or website) or use the ESPN 3 Kodi (SPMC) add-on, provided you log in with your credentials.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/17/17 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Confused
Why would anyone in 2017 settle for "whiparound coverage?" Is that even a thing anymore? Confused

That's a real head scratcher why anyone would even bring something like that up. There's this thing called the Internet now. Everyone with a paid TV subscription can take advantage of the WatchESPN app (or website) or use the ESPN 3 Kodi (SPMC) add-on, provided you log in with your credentials.

yeah, if your internet provider provides a good enough connection and/or if ESPN provided a way to choose to get a lower res download to correlate with your connection. Neither of which is the way it is for me and I have the best internet available in my area which is in the boondocks. I can watch games broadcast by P12, CUSA, and many other providers as well as youtube, etc... but ESPN sputters, pauses for long periods of time, and sometimes simply stops...which makes it almost unwatchable. If I'm desperate to see a game on it, I will put up with the issues and continually re-start it...but it is an absolute pain in the butt. Since I can in fact watch games that are broadcast by others I assume it's an ESPN issue and because there are more of you who can see it than of me who can't, they don't give a shit.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/17/17 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

They show 4 channels for the 4 majors in golf, usually 2 channels of 2 or 3 people groups. In the 4 majors for tennis, they have 6 channels for different courts. I like it because I follow a few "middle tier" players.

I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/17/17 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I am not getting any of these extra channels! Seems like one must have Sportpack to get them! Has anyone without spartpack getting them?

I'm getting them and I don't have Sportspack,

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/18/17 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fios airs them...tho I find for the very beginning it often picks up a few minutes late so you may have to look at the national coverage for a few minutes.

also will need to find the college extra channels...normally buried in the high high numbers but they're now in HD (when I had directv they were SD, small price to pay)

Announcers seem much better this year so far...and Taylor lobo and landers do a good job.

exciting games too and apparently they were actually whipping (tho as I said I had all 4 games up)

PostPosted: 03/18/17 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Do you have Direct TV or Dish.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/18/17 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sort of similar to today's UConn-Albany game but tomorrow Ohio State-Kentucky is the only game at 12 but then you have 3 games around 2:30. WVU-Maryland, DePaul-Miss State, NC State-Texas. Why not move one of those games to 12 so its easier to follow both instead of having three games at once, which makes it hard to keep up with?

kool-aide

PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the women's tourny went back to the Sat/Mon & Sun/Tues schedule. Less time going head to head against the men's tourny. More chance for eyeballs on Mon & Tues. sigh

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/18/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Do you have Direct TV or Dish.

Direct.

Edit: I may not be getting what I thought that I was. Just tried to get the Stanford New Mexico game and says I'm not subscribed.

Only game I'm getting is the L'ville/Chat. game. Yesterday, I got the Belmont/KY game. I'm not in a protected area for either game.

Last night, I thought that I recorded the FSU game, but now I see that I only got the DTV logo.

Guess I'll be happy with what I get. Would be nice to know ahead of time since I'm travelling and setting the recorder.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/18/17 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Direct.

Edit: I may not be getting what I thought that I was. Just tried to get the Stanford New Mexico game and says I'm not subscribed.

Only game I'm getting is the L'ville/Chat. game. Yesterday, I got the Belmont/KY game. I'm not in a protected area for either game.

Last night, I thought that I recorded the FSU game, but now I see that I only got the DTV logo.

Guess I'll be happy with what I get. Would be nice to know ahead of time since I'm travelling and setting the recorder.

I got all 4 channels yesterday but today I'm only getting the L'ville/Chattanooga game as well. Plus, we lost our local CBS station with about 4 mins to go in the men's Notre Dame vs West VA matchup. As if I needed more reasons to dump DTV!! I seriously think they have gotten worse since the AT&T thing happened.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/18/17 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Direct.

I got all 4 channels yesterday but today I'm only getting the L'ville/Chattanooga game as well. Plus, we lost our local CBS station with about 4 mins to go in the men's Notre Dame vs West VA matchup. As if I needed more reasons to dump DTV!! I seriously think they have gotten worse since the AT&T thing happened.

Thanks, when I read that there was trouble yesterday, I checked my channels. It had the order form on the cover. I called and asked them to check becasue it was free last year. After a long conversation the first lady told me it was for overflow games. I told her there won't be overflow because they are playing on the same floor. She said there was nothing else to do. After I hung up I opened my guide and on 209.1 "For extended WBB NCAA tourney coverage, please tune to channels 788-791." So I called back. I got a guy and told him thatI called earlier and I just read this and he did some checking. He told me it is included with the sports package. I would have to sign up for 3 months to get it and if I cancelled early, there was a fee. He did some manual things and gave me a credit and a date to cancel it so I won't have to pay the fine. I'm getting them all now.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/18/17 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How much is the sportspack? I thought it was Iike $5 per month.

To me it's the primary reason for having DirecTV. I can't hardly imagine a sports fan paying for DirecTV and not including all the regional sports channels, the specialized sports channels, and extra coverage like these tournament channels.

If it wasn't for all the sports stuff, I'd probably switch to FiOS.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/18/17 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
How much is the sportspack? I thought it was Iike $5 per month.

To me it's the primary reason for having DirecTV. I can't hardly imagine a sports fan paying for DirecTV and not including all the regional sports channels, the specialized sports channels, and extra coverage like these tournament channels.

If it wasn't for all the sports stuff, I'd probably switch to FiOS.

I think it's like 12.00 per month, and the cancellation fee was $10.00.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 03/18/17 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon and Temple were tied with 5 mins left and I was watching on ESPN Sherri Coales having a conversation with a ref during a review in a 12 pt game in the 3RD QTR.

Yeah I'd say ESPN'S coverage could be better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: