RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN Coverage Could Be Better
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:58 am    ::: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

OK, we all know that it sucks. I was looking to see if I could find out who would be calling the games this weekend (haven't yet) and came across this article from 2015.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/espns-coverage-womens-ncaa-tournament-carries-echoes-sports.html

Quote:
The way these games were handled makes it clear that ESPN has a problem with “star treatment” in niche sports.

Quote:
It would be nice to think that ESPN can avoid an excessive focus on names (in any sport) and devote more energy to covering the whole of a sport itself. This is the kind of coverage grown-up sports fans want.

Quote:
When ESPN clearly abandons coverage of the sport for a focus on celebrity or ratings-magnet entities (such as UConn women’s basketball to the exclusion or diminishment of lesser-known programs), mature sports fans notice.

Quote:
However, ESPN is in a position to lead by example. If ESPN devoted itself to covering the sport and not just its stars, we’d have been able to see much more of Louisville-South Florida and UALR-Arizona State, two far more interesting games with far more exciting stretch runs. ESPN could choose to be a trend-changer and pace-setter in sports. It instead makes decisions which reflect a continuing captivity to what will bump up ratings points. That’s one issue.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:54 am    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Press Releases: ESPN is The Exclusive Home of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espn-exclusive-home-ncaa-division-womens-basketball-championship/

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 11:56 am    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Press Releases: ESPN is The Exclusive Home of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/03/espn-exclusive-home-ncaa-division-womens-basketball-championship/

Schedule and commentators (subject to change) halfway down. Why oh why must Dave and Doris always call the championship game?

Because they do the 'best' job at drooling over everything UConn.

- Amanda Gorman
Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:08 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Well, they have added Lawson as co-analyst(?). Kara seems to have learned to drool over UCONN as well as the next, but hopefully she makes the broadcast at least a little more watchable...

Interesting to see Thibault and Hughes on the crews as well (have they have been doing other games this season and I just didn't notice?).

Here is the full list:
(College Park, Md.) - Courtney Lyle, Tamika Catchings
(Austin, Texas) - Roy Philpott, Brooke Weisbrod
(Lexington, Ky.) - Beth Mowins, Nell Fortner
(Starkville, Miss.) - Bob Picozzi, Katie Smith
(Columbia, S.C.) - Dave Pasch, LaChina Robinson
(Notre Dame, Ind.) - Paul Sunderland, Mike Thibault
(Corvallis, Ore.) - Elise Woodward, Mary Murphy
(Tallahassee, Fla.) - Melissa Lee, Angel Gray
(Storrs, Conn.) - Eric Frede, Dan Hughes
(Louisville, Ky.) - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke/Kara Lawson
(Manhattan, Kansas) - Brenda VanLengen, Carol Ross
(Coral Gables, Fla.) - Jenn Hildreth, Steffi Sorensen
(Waco, Texas) - Lowell Galindo, Sue Bird
(Seattle, Wash.) - Pam Ward, Gail Goestenkors
(Los Angeles, Calif.) - Sam Gore, Julianne Viani
(Durham, N.C.) - Clay Matvick, Christy Winters-Scott

Lexington Regional - Beth Mowins, Deb Antonelli, Allison Williams
Oklahoma City Regional - Pam Ward, Gail Goestenkors, Kaylee Hartung
Bridgeport Regional - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke/Kara Lawson, Holly Rowe
Stockton Regional - Dave Pasch, LaChina Robinson, Molly McGrath

Final Four - Dave O’Brien, Doris Burke, Kara Lawson, Holly Rowe

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:11 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:

Interesting to see Thibault and Hughes on the crews as well (have they have been doing other games this season and I just didn't notice?).

Yes they have been. Quite refreshing to hear their perspectives although they are quite PC.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/17 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to run over to Bristol and apply for the job of mopping up all that drool.

Rolling Eyes

The question I have is why does anyone expect ESPN to treat wcbb any differently than they and all the other media that covers sports treat every other sport? Worshiping stars is what they all do. It's amusing how those that want women's basketball to get equal treatment are unhappy when they get exactly that. The money that pumps through sports comes for the most part from advertisers and advertisers want stars to put on the front of their cereal boxes and endorse their deodorants. Look at college football. For the most part national coverage focuses on the half dozen Heisman Trophy candidates to the exclusion of the thousand of athletes that participate. Team coverage is mostly speculation about which 4 of 10 teams will make the championship playoffs. The coverage of pro basketball is more of the same except that as much time is spent examining the players private lives as their performance on the court.

You want women in the WNBA to earn multi-million dollar salaries? Then you have to put up with baggage that in addition to the above includes dealing with the corruption that comes from having billions of dollars gambled on the games.

People need to stop for a moment and realize that ESPN gives them an opportunity to watch any wcbb tournamnt game from start to finish on-line. Yeah, the wraparound coverage can be frustrating but then I can remember having to listen to the mens games on radio. The complaining reminds me of a kid with a candy bar whining because they don't have an ice cream cone.
Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not whining. So far I'm one happy camper...but yeah, bring on the ice cream cone. I too remember listening to bball on the radio (it's a tell on our ages) but we lived so far out in the boonies that I would go with my Dad in his pickup to a mountain top so we could get reception on his radio...It was way better after dark.

But I do reserve the right to whine and gripe later on...

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES! I don't have to suffer w/ O'Brien and Burke doing even one UCONN game.

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

So you're expecting UConn to lose the first weekend, evidently. Interesting.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

Maybe we will get a hint about who SA will be drafting.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I'm not whining. So far I'm one happy camper...but yeah, bring on the ice cream cone. I too remember listening to bball on the radio (it's a tell on our ages) but we lived so far out in the boonies that I would go with my Dad in his pickup to a mountain top so we could get reception on his radio...It was way better after dark.

No "reservations" needed for you, Myrtle-Mae. Those rights are fully accorded by your .... experience [read: Age] (I'm surprised they even had pickups in your youth. Razz )

The games of most interest to me have GG, so all's good here. Cool

Last edited by Howee on 03/15/17 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

Probably not, since he isn't the coach or GM for the team anymore.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

Probably not, since he isn't the coach or GM for the team anymore.

As coach/GM he might be less likely to talk about it.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

wooohoooooooooooooooooo

So you're expecting UConn to lose the first weekend, evidently. Interesting.

UCONN RADIO.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No "reservations" needed for you, Myrtle-Mae. Those rights are fully accorded by your .... experience [read: Age] (I'm surprised they even had pickups in your youth. Razz )

The games of most interest to me have GG, so all's good here. Cool

model T's had a pickup model in 1925...

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Saved from whiparound coverage!

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It appears that DirecTV will be showing each individual NCAA Women's Tournament game in its entirety at channels 788-791 or thereabouts.

Thanks I have been looking for this. Last year in was the low 700's. In the same location as the 4 majors in golf and tennis.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Dish appears to be doing something as well (on 145-148) although it's not clear if it's every game since they also say you can get all the games by paying for ESPN Full Court on 462-465 (for $79). Too pricey for me so hoping I'll get at least some options on 145-148.

I think DirecTV stopped selling Full Court two or three years ago, so I think this is free, at least for sportspak subscribers.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best duo IMO is Dave Pasch and Lachina!

I love how the men use four channels for the first round. I wish ESPN would use ESPN2 and ESPNU for the first and second rounds

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/15/17 8:30 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:

Yes they have been. Quite refreshing to hear their perspectives although they are quite PC.

Hughes has been a regular on Big 12 FSN regional broadcasts (tho Thulin and VanLegen a very underrated crew do the FS1 and top games)

Thiebault has been heading up the B crew for BTN with a revolving door of male announcers...Byington and Jones are the A team for BTN and also do some FS1

As for that awful announcing blog...YES YES OMG YES been screaming this for 12 years!!!

Good to see the B team be LaChina...Pasch is the A- (behind only when the superstars choose to do a game) MENS guy...this is no small thing

Also despite that dumb UConn Stands Alone rule (which I KNOW was a be careful what you wish for after fan complaints of no whipping from UConn routs to more competitive games) they are giving the bottom crews to both UConn and Baylor and 4/5 pods are getting the A teams

ALSO: Wischusen who was a mainstay for many years got the boot...MUCH needed his comments at both Richards and of course the infamous and inflammatory comment at Oshaor were both firable offenses...glad to see him removed from WBB games Smile

And also great to see Sunderland moving up the ladder. Sunderland has been putting WORK in on SEC Network...he's EARNED it

PostPosted: 03/15/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Best duo IMO is Dave Pasch and Lachina!

I love how the men use four channels for the first round. I wish ESPN would use ESPN2 and ESPNU for the first and second rounds

Yes I love this too - it means I get to watch every game and can pick what is interesting to me. The only problem is I always forget what channel Tru TV is on my cable until the tournament starts again Smile.

At least this year they finally protected all of Wisconsin for the UWGB game - it has been a bummer to me recently that they only protected part of Wisconsin for their games and I didn't get to see them. For some reason in the past, they used to protect all of Wisconsin for Marquette games but not for UWGB.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:16 pm    ::: Re: ESPN Coverage Could Be Better Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:

Thank you!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/17 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

PRAISETHELORDDD!
This just made MY day-- Very Happy

Now, my only dilemma is which games, out of any four running at one time, to record. DVR only allows me 2 simultaneous games. 'course, I may just opt to do my own 'whiparound' coverage, going where I like, when I like, but then I gotta watch live. Oh, the dilemmas! Razz

By the way, Art....nothing was listed on those channels beyond Friday's games, i.e., Saturday's lineup. Any idea why?

PostPosted: 03/16/17 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coverage maps are out for the first round.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18919341/women-ncaa-tournament-coverage-maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: