RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alaina Coates college career is over .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
Shades of 1998 when Tara didn't seem to be 100% forthcoming about the loss of 2 stars to keep the 1 seed. Enter 16 seed Harvard and history.

Actually, Fokl got hurt after the seedings were announced. There was some question about the PG, but iirc the committee caught more flack than Tara did for not paying enough attention.

Of course, I could be wrong but if memory serves,.Fokl went down before the seedings and I remember Tara saying something to the effect that "I know that girl and if there is any way, she will be on the court". But at best, you might say Stanford lost 1 1/2 All-Americans.

I likened it at the time to UCONN losing their All-American (Nykisha (sp.) Sales to an Achilles near the end of the season and despite going the rest of the way undefeated (and winning the league title) they were dropped to a 2 seed. Rightfully, I thought.

joetro

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stinks for her, but this also just seems really shady. I hope SC goes out in Sweet 16 as seems to be their custom.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
Shades of 1998 when Tara didn't seem to be 100% forthcoming about the loss of 2 stars to keep the 1 seed. Enter 16 seed Harvard and history.

I don't think that's quite fair. Alaina really *wanted* to play and thought she could. She tried and couldn't and it cost her and in the end, it cost the team. But with soft tissue injuries like that, you still never know and are day to day for a long time until you aren't; you just keep hoping. I'm sure Alaina is heartbroken and hoped right up until she got the word from the doctor, and I think to accuse Dawn of somehow "holding back" isn't fair or sporting. They play pretty darn well without Alaina, and this might make them play even harder.

That's why it's never the player's decision. Certainly in college it's not. You can't shift that responsibility to Coates. That's the coach's decision and responsibility.

As for hiding it, I don't see she had any responsibility to declare Coates out any earlier, although I expect she knew. That's why the NFL has very specific injury disclosure requirements that don't exist in college.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so...has anybody seen any more detail on exactly what Alaina's injury is?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I read some rumors on the SCar forum that she has a stress fracture in her foot. No idea if that's accurate or not.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I read some rumors on the SCar forum that she has a stress fracture in her foot. No idea if that's accurate or not.

that would correlate with her being out for the whole tourney. I think that's a 6-8 week return type injury, possibly more depending on how bad it is. If that is the issue, I doubt it affects her draft stock much. There's plenty of tape for the GMs to go over and over.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They play pretty darn well without Alaina, and this might make them play even harder.

+1

They CAN be quite good without her....it's all about stepping up to the plate by supporting cast, and Dawn getting their heads *right*.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

E Williams played with a stress fracture during the final eight against Stanford and it affected her jumping. Had they won she probably wouldn't have been able to play against Baylor. I don't know if Coats injury sounds like a stress fracture. It's an injury that gets progressively worse. It doesn't really come on suddenly. Williams also was not the same her Junior season. I suspect it takes longer too actually heal than the 6 to eight weeks stated here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: