RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The REAL bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.

You are right that the team that ends it will make better news. There are Stanford fans that enjoy reminding UConn fans that they ended the last one. Maybe if UConn and Notre Dame make the final Notre Dame, by winning, would end not only the 112 game winning streak but also the 4 straight championship streak and the 11-0 streak in championship games.

Streaks always end. What I find much more impressive is the fact that, counting this year, UConn has lost 14 games and won 6 titles in the last 10 years. And 11 of those 14 losses came in a 3 year stretch. Like I told a Stanford fan, beating UConn started the Huskies on a new, record-breaking streak, while Stanford lost their next 2 games. Very Happy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:
It will be big news for some other school when they stop the streak, but UConn adding one game at a time to it is total non-news.

You are right that the team that ends it will make better news. There are Stanford fans that enjoy reminding UConn fans that they ended the last one. Maybe if UConn and Notre Dame make the final Notre Dame, by winning, would end not only the 112 game winning streak but also the 4 straight championship streak and the 11-0 streak in championship games.

Streaks always end. What I find much more impressive is the fact that, counting this year, UConn has lost 14 games and won 6 titles in the last 10 years. And 11 of those 14 losses came in a 3 year stretch. Like I told a Stanford fan, beating UConn started the Huskies on a new, record-breaking streak, while Stanford lost their next 2 games. Very Happy

That you're completely obsessed with it doesn't mean anyone else on the planet cares.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care if they want to showcase UConn, but why not let us choose? If we could watch an 8-9 game in the same time frame I wouldn't complain. Then I could click over to watch the excellent UConn machine cream their #16...during the timeouts of the other game. And the UConn fans could watch the whole creaming and we'd all be happy. Cream for all! and All for Cream (no not Creme and no comments from Howee). Actually I don't mind them playing it early in the morning my time zone as it will indeed be a good time to do housework or gardening and I won't miss much since they will show highlights and recap it all weekend ad nauseam anyway. So I'm happy and look forward to watching lots of games starting later in the day...only hoping the wrap-around doesn't focus entirely on the #1 seeds as my ESPN3 doesn't work very well. But at least it is SOMETHING!

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I don't care if they want to showcase UConn, but why not let us choose? If we could watch an 8-9 game in the same time frame I wouldn't complain. Then I could click over to watch the excellent UConn machine cream their #16...during the timeouts of the other game. And the UConn fans could watch the whole creaming and we'd all be happy. Cream for all! and All for Cream (no not Creme and no comments from Howee). Actually I don't mind them playing it early in the morning my time zone as it will indeed be a good time to do housework or gardening and I won't miss much since they will show highlights and recap it all weekend ad nauseam anyway. So I'm happy and look forward to watching lots of games starting later in the day...only hoping the wrap-around doesn't focus entirely on the #1 seeds as my ESPN3 doesn't work very well. But at least it is SOMETHING!

There are 2 8/9 games on Saturday. The first one is the second game at Storrs. They make UConn the first game to get the fans there in hope many will stay for the second game. The other 8/9 game is the second game at Baylor, which is scheduled at 8:30 ET, a dubious time since the Baylor game is at 6:30 ET.
Go look at the schedule and tell me which 1st round game not only you, but the rest of the country would want at 11:00am ET. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/scoreboard/_/date/20170318

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think for instance that the Dayton - Tennessee game might be entertaining in that time slot, at least until we see which Tenn team shows up. Any of the 8-9 matchups would be fine. Actually with these early round games, I'm pretty happy to watch the first quarter of any of them (including UConn) and then the last quarter of any that are actually competitive...so I guess in my optimal world they would start them 20 minutes apart. But I'm pretty sure that I'm not typical, so....I don't get my wish. Actually, as I said, I'm happy if they are going to give UConn exclusive rights to a time slot, that it is so early in the morning so I can get chores done before I get my basketball watching attire/mentality assembled.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is no TV show I watched this week that was more interesting or better produced than the selection show.

The brackets are reasonable.

And, to me, irrelevant.

I'd prefer all game matchups to be drawn by lot before each round.

That goes along with my long-time preference for having the entire tournament played over a three to five day period, at one central location, with a reduced field of 48 or 42 or 36, and possibly double elimination. AAU tournaments are held like this, and so were the NIT and Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden in the 50's and 60's. You could get a three-day ticket for about $6 and watch great games for 10 hours a day. The arena was packed every day.

re: the selection show. Perhaps you, like me watch very little tv. Or is it actually that all the shows are that bad?

I kind of like your idea of a weeklong fest but not with random matchups...then we could maybe have a UConn v. Dayton final because all the top teams happened to play on the UConn side. I know, the probabilities ain't good. But you could still start with 64 and have the first matchups at the 1-4 sites. But then the 16 left could all play at one NEUTRAL venue which moved around the country from year to year.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/15/17 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
. Actually, as I said, I'm happy if they are going to give UConn exclusive rights to a time slot, that it is so early in the morning

How about 6am EST so it's over before I have my first cup of coffee? That works. Very Happy

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going back to my earlier thinking, now I decided (also) that Cal got seeded ahead of Oregon because the committee felt that Duke (the weakest #2)'s sub-region was too weak after they geographically put perhaps (IMO) the weakest #7 seed (Temple) and weakest #15 (Hampton, who likely switched seeds with Albany), when the weakest #2 seed should theoretically have the best #7 and #15 seeds to be balanced. So they compensated for having a weak 7 & 15 seed there by putting in a should-be #9 seed as the #10 seed there, since Oregon or Cal would have to fly to Waco/Durham anyways so they had no geographical concerns with making that swap.

EDIT:
Another new guess that just popped in my head is maybe UNI was originally an 11-seed and Elon a 10-seed, but they swapped the two so Elon could play at Maryland, which is closer.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 03/15/17 11:41 pm; edited 6 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 03/15/17 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Going back to my earlier thinking, now I decided (also) that Cal got seeded ahead of Oregon because the committee felt that Duke (the weakest #2)'s sub-region was too weak after they geographically put perhaps (IMO) the weakest #7 seed (Temple) and weakest #15 (Hampton, who likely switched seeds with Albany), when the weakest #2 seed should theoretically have the best #7 and #15 seeds to be balanced. So they compensated for having a weak 7 & 15 seed there by putting in a should-be #9 seed as the #10 seed there, since Oregon or Cal would have to fly to Waco/Durham anyways so they had no geographical concerns with making that swap.

The committee could have solved the weakness of the Duke half of the Bridgeport region by taking Tenn and instead of dropping them to a 5 seed, raising them to a 7 and swapping them with Temple. It would also take care of having the possibility of Tenn and LSU having to meet prior to the regional final, somthing the committee is supposedly committed to "making an attempt" to avoid. A possible Duke-Tenn game in the second round would have been very interesting.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is no TV show I watched this week that was more interesting or better produced than the selection show.

re: the selection show. Perhaps you, like me watch very little tv. Or is it actually that all the shows are that bad?

I did not watch the selection show or any other TV show this week. Therefore, my statement is true . . . though meaningless.

I just tire of all the bitchin. Bitch about selection shows. Bitch about brackets. Bitch about seed lines. Bitch about announcers. Bitch about networks. Bitch about coaches. Bitch about politics. Bitch about life.

Everyone should just go paddle a mountain lake . . . or a Canadian shield river . . . or a cypress swamp. And focus on Creation.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
The next time the streak will matter is when they're celebrating some other school for ending it.

Or when it reaches 200, whichever comes first.

It will matter at 113.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I was also sick of the endless hype over 100.

Notre Dame fans love to bring up that they ended UCLA's streak at every opportunity.

That's breaking a streak, not continuing an ongoing streak. That's a different thing.

BTW, ND's done that in 3 separate sports (Football, Men's Basketball, and W. Soccer). In both Football and Men's Basketball, ND actually bookended the streak (well, technically the Football one wasn't quite bookended by ND. ND was the last team to beat OK before the streak, but their win streak started after a tie the following week to Nebraska).

BTW, a bit of trivia, since you brought up the UCLA game. UCLA was obviously ranked #1. What was ND ranked entering that game?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/16/17 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cream for all!

On it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yPIXJ7B2I7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(now with spelling variations)
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/17/17 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Cream for all!

On it!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yPIXJ7B2I7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Excellent!

PostPosted: 03/17/17 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear there would be bitchin about bitchin on bitchin. Love that we were the ones that ended the last streak, love watching good basketball so that includes Uconn sorry biatches. Just like me y'all wish your team could do the same. Cool

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/17/17 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I don't watch college football anymore but back in the day when I did the networks would put on Notre Dame-Army when the final score would likely be 45-6 rather than put on any of a number of competitve games. Why? Were the networks "in bed" with Notre Dame or were they making a business decision? Notre Dame was a nationally popular team then

Just for some context here, what constitutes "back in the day?" If it was from the 90s on, that was largely due to a combination of the breakup of the CFA (and the rise of ESPN and other sports networks) and ND's NBC deal (which technically didn't "take a broadcast away from a team" since ND was the only team they were broadcasting and the other networks were covering everyone else, so in a way, ND's deal opened up spots on other networks when ND was playing at home).

If you are suggesting the CFA period (1980s) the few nationally televised games against "lessor" foes were on WGN, hardly a major network (and the only game against Army had a score that was 24-10, hardly the 45-6 one you suggest). If you are talking about a game on NBC, then they couldn't cut away to another game because ND was the only team they had a deal with.

Throughout the 80s, ND's nationally televised games were fairly close ones, except for the ones on "Sportschannel" which was a fairly small network trying to compete with ESPN. Before the CFA (when the NCAA controlled all TV rights), ND would have 1-2 regular season games, and those were against top level opponents.

BTW, these were the televised ND-Army games I could find pre-2002 (the last media guide that listed this info, since it was the last one before the limited the size of the media guides):

Nationally: 1985 ND 24 Army 10 (WGN), 1998 ND 20 Army 17 (NBC)
Regionally: 1957 ND 23 Army 21, 1995 ND 28 Army 27

I don't really see the example you suggested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: