RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alaina Coates college career is over .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:17 am    ::: Alaina Coates college career is over . Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/031417aaa.html

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, that's a game changer. Sorry for her that she has to miss her final NCAA Tournament. That really opens up that bracket.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor kid.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Damn, that's a game changer. Sorry for her that she has to miss her final NCAA Tournament. That really opens up that bracket.

Don't know if it's a game changer.

Feel really sorry for Coates. She seemed like a hard working classy player.

But SCar didn't look really diminished without her. Opened things up for Wilson and Davis.

Not sure they will miss her that much except against a tiny number of teams like Baylor (who they'll probably never face), or if Wilson gets herself into foul trouble.

Sorry she misses her last tournament though. Don't want to see anyone get injured.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a sucky way to end your career. Get well soon, Alaina. With that being said, I agree with Art that South Carolina doesn't look terrible without her. In fact, I think they look good for the aformentioned reasons.

Very smart of Dawn to wait till the day after the selection show to announce she's done. Player availability can affect seeding and I wonder what the committee had done had they known Coates would be out? Would they still have been the #3 overall seed. She probably did that so they would get OKC, but we all see how that turned out.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I agree, and said so months ago, that SC operates better with one tower on the floor at a time, to think this doesn't hurt SCar.'s chances (and thereby boosts all their opponent's chances) is wrong, imo.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
While I agree, and said so months ago, that SC operates better with one tower on the floor at a time, to think this doesn't hurt SCar.'s chances (and thereby boosts all their opponent's chances) is wrong, imo.

+1.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
to think this doesn't hurt SCar.'s chances (and thereby boosts all their opponent's chances) is wrong, imo.

Chances to do what? Win the tournament? This doesn't affect their odds at all. They had a 0% chance before and they have a 0% chance now.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry for her and her team, but in reality, this isn't a game changer for South Carolina at all. They had no chance to win the national championship either way. This just makes the road to 5 in a row a little bit easier for Uconn.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Sorry for her and her team, but in reality, this isn't a game changer for South Carolina at all. They had no chance to win the national championship either way. This just makes the road to 5 in a row a little bit easier for Uconn.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
What a sucky way to end your career. Get well soon, Alaina. With that being said, I agree with Art that South Carolina doesn't look terrible without her. In fact, I think they look good for the aformentioned reasons.

Very smart of Dawn to wait till the day after the selection show to announce she's done. Player availability can affect seeding and I wonder what the committee had done had they known Coates would be out? Would they still have been the #3 overall seed. She probably did that so they would get OKC, but we all see how that turned out.

Or she just booked her ticket to Spokane for next year!!!

Lesson #1 - Don't piss off selcom (or make them look bad).

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one going to slam Staley's decision to play Coates on that ankle in the semi-final game of the SEC tourney against Kentucky?
linkster

PostPosted: 03/14/17 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:

Actually it makes it easier for Notre Dame more than UConn.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
No one going to slam Staley's decision to play Coates on that ankle in the semi-final game of the SEC tourney against Kentucky?

I remember a couple of posts, made moments after the re-injure, which did.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had a feeling this would happen with either Coates, Alexis Jones, or Stephanie Mavunga.

On Monday night all Staley said was Coates didn't practice this week. Then Tuesday morning after the bracket is revealed Coates is out for the whole tournament. Is this a little deceiving? It makes Staley's complains about regional placement a little hollow when to be honest they are fortunate to get a 1 seed with Coates out.

On the men's side Oregon announced when their top post player Chris Boucher was lost for the year and they were honest about it before the brackets were out. They could have been coy about it but they were truthful. I think on the men's side they are maybe more critical and they wouldn't give teams the benefit of the doubt on an injury but on the women's side I feel like its the opposite.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
to think this doesn't hurt SCar.'s chances (and thereby boosts all their opponent's chances) is wrong, imo.

Chances to do what? Win the tournament? This doesn't affect their odds at all. They had a 0% chance before and they have a 0% chance now.

Imo, it lessens their chance to win any game they play. It could be the difference between making the FF or not, and it certainly doesn't help them guard Turner, should both teams make the FF.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:

Actually it makes it easier for Notre Dame more than UConn.

Actually probably doesn't affect Notre Dame either. Makes it easier for Oregon St or Florida State or Miami.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I had a feeling this would happen with either Coates, Alexis Jones, or Stephanie Mavunga.

On Monday night all Staley said was Coates didn't practice this week. Then Tuesday morning after the bracket is revealed Coates is out for the whole tournament. Is this a little deceiving? It makes Staley's complains about regional placement a little hollow when to be honest they are fortunate to get a 1 seed with Coates out.

On the men's side Oregon announced when their top post player Chris Boucher was lost for the year and they were honest about it before the brackets were out. They could have been coy about it but they were truthful. I think on the men's side they are maybe more critical and they wouldn't give teams the benefit of the doubt on an injury but on the women's side I feel like its the opposite.

Stephanie Mavunga is suppose to be practicing this week and the expect her if we win the next two games per the Columbus Dispatch.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Stephanie Mavunga is suppose to be practicing this week and the expect her if we win the next two games per the Columbus Dispatch.

Was this announced after the selection? Because before I only read very generic stuff saying they hope she is back "soon." Its sort of the same thing with Coates and Jones. Finding information on their return was very hard, probably purposely because of seeding.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Was this announced after the selection? Because before I only read very generic stuff saying they hope she is back "soon." Its sort of the same thing with Coates and Jones. Finding information on their return was very hard, probably purposely because of seeding.

March 8th

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170308/ohio-state-womens-basketball--mavungas-workload-to-increase-this-week

Today, game time decision, but more likely not, if they are consistent in there normal "talking points."

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170313/ohio-state-womens-hoops--buckeyes-get-no-5-seed-will-play-no-12-western-kentucky

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a shame that the very few minitues that Coates played in that last game will cost her the remainder of her college playing career. That is a huge price to pay for such a short time. I hope she is all better come wnba draft time. South Carolina is one of my favorite teams and I love watching them but agree with some others that they wouldn't win the ship. Yes the team has won without her but a few games is very different thing than the NCAA Tourney. A'ja MUST stay out of foul trouble and I think Bianca should play more time. She is a great thief and gets the ball quickly up the floor. Davis has to have a great game EVERY game. I think their slim chance of winning the title was just regulated to the bench. I feel really sad for Coates and the team!

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades of 1998 when Tara didn't seem to be 100% forthcoming about the loss of 2 stars to keep the 1 seed. Enter 16 seed Harvard and history.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
Shades of 1998 when Tara didn't seem to be 100% forthcoming about the loss of 2 stars to keep the 1 seed. Enter 16 seed Harvard and history.

I don't think that's quite fair. Alaina really *wanted* to play and thought she could. She tried and couldn't and it cost her and in the end, it cost the team. But with soft tissue injuries like that, you still never know and are day to day for a long time until you aren't; you just keep hoping. I'm sure Alaina is heartbroken and hoped right up until she got the word from the doctor, and I think to accuse Dawn of somehow "holding back" isn't fair or sporting. They play pretty darn well without Alaina, and this might make them play even harder.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

IIRC, one of those two occurred after the selection.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:

Actually, Fokl got hurt after the seedings were announced. There was some question about the PG, but iirc the committee caught more flack than Tara did for not paying enough attention.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: