RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/13/17 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
People keep whining about Clarks lack of rebounding but then say that Mo Curry is the solution at SF for the Liberty.

Clark had 3,7 rebounds per game last season in 27,6 min and Mo Curry (who is taller) had 4,4 rebounds in 25,5 min. Year before that Clark had 3,7 in 23,1 min while Curry had 3,2 rebounds in 21,3 min. But we never hear anything about Curry being a weak rebounder?

I will admit that I haven't reread all the comments on 12 pages of this thread before writing this. But I don't recall anyone suggesting that Curry was "the solution" for the Liberty at SF. Or anything close. What I recall is some discussion that it would be better to have Curry backing up Allen at that position rather than Zellous backing up Allen.

As for rebounding, it would be ideal to have a SF who's a better rebounder than either Allen or Curry. (Or Zellous.) But that is hardly all there is to the SF position. If it is indeed accurate that Bill Laimbeer is planning to have Rebecca Allen start at SF for New York and play major minutes, that's in itself a statement that rebounding is not the prime consideration for a small forward. Though it's surely a plus.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
People keep whining about Clarks lack of rebounding but then say that Mo Curry is the solution at SF for the Liberty.

Clark had 3,7 rebounds per game last season in 27,6 min and Mo Curry (who is taller) had 4,4 rebounds in 25,5 min. Year before that Clark had 3,7 in 23,1 min while Curry had 3,2 rebounds in 21,3 min. But we never hear anything about Curry being a weak rebounder?

Curry is now a very marginal player. Seattle, with its 3 All Stars, needs a real small forward. Watch Clark play. She is a smart, hard worker, but the girl has no size, and cannot jump. Forget All stars like Maya, and Angel, she makes very routine 3's like Alyssa Thomas and Aerial Powers look great.

You already said it. Seattle already has 3 allstars. They dont need stars at every position.. They need players around them that work hard, defend hard, that are versatile and are willing to do the dirty work. She does that. She used to play the post position so she knows how to play against bigger players. Get over it..

9 pts on 48,4 shooting from the field and 38,7 % from 3 while only getting 6,8 shots per game and defending the best opposing player(whether that is Taurasi, McCoughtry, Moore, Ogwumike) night in and night out... Ill take that from my non star players any day of the week...

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/13/17 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Curry is now a very marginal player. Seattle, with its 3 All Stars, needs a real small forward. Watch Clark play. She is a smart, hard worker, but the girl has no size, and cannot jump. Forget All stars like Maya, and Angel, she makes very routine 3's like Alyssa Thomas and Aerial Powers look great.

You already said it. Seattle already has 3 allstars. They dont need stars at every position.. They need players around them that work hard, defend hard, that are versatile and are willing to do the dirty work. She does that. She used to play the post position so she knows how to play against bigger players. Get over it..

9 pts on 48,4 shooting from the field and 38,7 % from 3 while only getting 6,8 shots per game and defending the best opposing player(whether that is Taurasi, McCoughtry, Moore, Ogwumike) night in and night out... Ill take that from my non star players any day of the week...

Uh...let's remember that despite the presence of 3 All Stars, and a completely healthy team all season, Seattle was 14-18. In the playoffs, they proceeded to lose to a team devastated by injury(no Tiffany Hayes; no Sancho Lyttle)..

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/13/17 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark and Currie are both good player, not great but good solid options for the SF spot.

In terms of the Liberty I think trading Zellous for Currie or Clark or say Schimmel and #14 for Clark if Seattle has any interest in Shoni could be an improvement to the team. The Liberty are at a place in their development where even a decent small improvement could get them another rung up the ladder to the finals.

With that said I'm still OK with just going with the cross fingers hope Allen takes a huge step forward, use Zellous at the SF when we can afford to go small, and hope one of Burdick or Raincock-Wkunwe can be converted to a 10-15 minute a night SF option plan. Overall I still prefer Zellous to either Clark or Currie, but if we made the swap for either for the good of the team I can get on board with it.

I'm still hoping Laimbeer and company could pull off some sort of sneaky move to get Christmas or A. Thomas without having to give up too much, (I'd consider the 2018 first round pick as the best option to pull that off, even though it is risky, but if NY can get that top four finish in the league I wouldn't worry too much about it. We could even throw in a player lke Hartley or Schimmel if that could make it happen, maybe even Zellous but only for Thomas in that case, also I know its been discussed but I think NY has enough shooters that Thomas' lack of range wouldn't hurt as much as her size and passing from the SF spot would help). But outside of a trade like that I'm coming around to just make the best with what we have.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

Uh...let's remember that despite the presence of 3 All Stars, and a completely healthy team all season, Seattle was 14-18. In the playoffs, they proceeded to lose to a team devastated by injury(no Tiffany Hayes; no Sancho Lyttle)..

Yes and that is all too blame on Clarks lack of rebounding Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK just playing the imagination game 2018 first round pick and Hartley to Conn for A. Thomas

Prince/Boyd/Schimmel
Rodgers/Zellous
A. Thomas/Allen
Charles/Zahui B/Burdick
Stokes/Vaughn

Oh I really like that, A. Thomas' passing slash point forward ability makes the Prince/Rodgers back-court work. With Prince, Rodgers, Allen, Schimmel, and sometimes Zahui B and Zellous there is enough shooting to not have to get so nervous about Thomas' lack of range, And in the starting line up Thomas is the 4th option on offense which is great. We would actually have Charles with three other potential double digit scorers on the floor which we haven't had since Tina has been here. And we've got some nice fire power on the bench in Zellous, Allen and Zahui B, another physical defender in Vaughn, Boyd can give us that change of speed PG without the pressure of having to be the starter, and Schimmel gets another season to make her shooting and passing happen for the team as a deep bench option.

Conn probably doesn't go for it but who knows? They get another pick in a strong draft, and a UConn product. If Tuck is healthy she can start at SF and really until Chiney gets back the Sun aren't going anywhere anyway so why not plan for 18, Bria will be fully back from pregnancy by then and they'll have two more first round picks to add to there young but gaining experience roster. Have 17 be the growth of J. Jones, Tuck and C. Williams season, while giving Banham and Gray an ample chance to prove themselves.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering how deep the 2018 draft is, I'm not giving up a first round pick unless we're getting someone like McCoughtry or Bonner.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I'm somewhere in-between. Assuming that a couple of players come out early in 2017 and are replaced by a couple coming out early in 2018, I would say the depth of the draft gains you roughly 5 slots. In other words, the #10 next year would be like a #5 in a normal year. Certainly, the pick is worth more than normal, but not necessarily too valuable to trade. Management just needs to make that mental adjustment and proceed with caution.

Yes, if you have both Rodgers and Prince in the backcourt, then A. Thomas looks like a better offensive fit -- although to really make it work I think you have to start Zahui B over Stokes. However, while I think that's the backcourt combination that gets first shot, I don't believe it's written in stone. We'll see how the defense works out. I also agree with the second guessing -- this doesn't sound like a trade CT would make. With all the talk about CT's draft picks, Miller ended up relying on a starting line-up of veterans (Chiney, Little, Bentley, Thomases) in the second half and the team played reasonably well. He already has enough young players. At some point, the focus has to be on development. The constant acquisition of rookies sounds like running in place at the starting line.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to be able to grab A. Thomas from Connecticut. Adding her as our starting SF, plus her ability to slide over to PF would be a great asset for us. But I don't want to give up a 2018 first round pick. So unless it's Rodgers for Thomas, I don't see anything else working out via a trade.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like people are still imagining the Alyssa Thomas they remember from college. She's played about five seconds of power forward in the WNBA. There's really no evidence that she can play the 4 at this level, even if it seems like she could in theory.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's more evidence that Thomas can play PF than there is that Little can play PF at this stage of her career.

That being said, these unrealistic Lib dreams for Thomas need to be put on a shelf. It's not going to happen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/14/17 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
That being said, these unrealistic Lib dreams for Thomas need to be put on a shelf. It's not going to happen.

If you can make up unrealistic dreams on a regular basis, don't know why Liberty fans can't.. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T H I S!!!!!!!!!

toad455 wrote:
Considering how deep the 2018 draft is, I'm not giving up a first round pick unless we're getting someone like McCoughtry or Bonner.

Or at least getting more than 1 player...you don't touch that draft until the off season unless there is a boffo and bonkers rash of Jrs coming out in the 2017 draft

I wouldn't trade 8-10 next year for ONE this year (Not that SA would)

Plus the specter of Charles for Spencer makes this difficult to sell to fans...there are still pissers and moaners in Libland who decry that we gave up Elizabeth Williams and A Thomas despite it being for TINA FREAKING CHARLES!!! that when we give up the 1 we miss the lottery pick that comes with it.

Charles for Spencer still haunts a lot of people...even though the pick did change hands 3 times on its way to CT.

(Mind you the A Thomas part of the equation was more the league not announcing the trade straight away for technical reasons, something that IMHO caused unneeded tension)

So trading the 2018 before its assigned (that is before the end of the upcoming season) I think would be more trouble than it was worth

Hell I remember fans decrying a trade because 2 years and 2 teams later Janel Burse had a good year. (Which led to my 3rd year post rule)

We may be one of the most passionate fanbases in the WNBA but we certainly are demanding LOL

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For two players? Then we could do A. Thomas & D. Adams for our 1st round pick. Adams is a Laimbeer type player and would fit into his system. Not sure where Zahui B. would fit after this trade.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No thanks on Danielle Adams. Been there, done that with Kara Braxton.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have weekly conference calls and have great discussions involving all staff re draft/trades/FA.
But I must say, this thread is entertaining and informative on fan thinking.
Keep it up. Liberty thread is kicking butt on all others.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The notion of trading for a player that Miller just signed to a training camp contract has got to be part of the entertainment value.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not saying I'm completely for it, but the 2018 first round pick is a decent asset, getting an experienced SF that solves our problem at that spot like Thomas or Christmas isn't going to happen for free. I would rather take the risk with the pick than trade someone like Stokes, Rodgers or even Zahui B (who I think is about to have that break through season.) I'm confident that if NY gets a decent SF and gets to keep the team we have in place now a top 4 finish is in the cards TBH I think were top 4 without any moves at all (Yes it is a risk to make that assumption but you don't trade for decent players without taking a risk), so the pick should be 9-12.

Lets see who is really going to be there even if no one declares top 8
Wilson, Deshields, Mitchell, Williams, Vivians, Gray, Canada, Brown, OK that is 8, Davis, Mavunga, Harper, Hines-Allen, Moore, Greenwell So yeah it is a risk, but I would easily trade most of the players past six for a proven SF now, and if a couple of those top players declare in 17 the line moves further down.

I was here for the Spencer trade so I understand the fear, but we're in our window right now, even if we get a really good talent in the 18 draft it will still be a year or two unless its a lottery type pick for that player to make an impact. If we can get a decent SF now I do it, we've discussed the SF spot for a while now and there just aren't that many good one out there. I would role the dice.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Wilson, Deshields, Mitchell, Williams, Vivians, Gray, Canada, Brown, OK that is 8, Davis, Mavunga, Harper, Hines-Allen, Moore, Greenwell So yeah it is a risk, but I would easily trade most of the players past six for a proven SF now, and if a couple of those top players declare in 17 the line moves further down.

You're missing some significant names: Turner, Russell, Nared, Nurse, and Gabby Williams. Scaife will be back, and I think Monique Billings could really rise based on her length and athletic ability. As I noted before, if a couple of players come out early this year, you can expect a couple to come out early next year. I'm sure people will be speculating about Azura Stevens.

PostPosted: 03/15/17 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

You're missing some significant names: Turner, Russell, Nared, Nurse, and Gabby Williams. Scaife will be back, and I think Monique Billings could really rise based on her length and athletic ability. As I noted before, if a couple of players come out early this year, you can expect a couple to come out early next year. I'm sure people will be speculating about Azura Stevens.

Crap I did miss some good names, Williams is the Williams I had above, but IMO only Turner would be in the top 8, maybe Russell, I like Billings, and Nared and yeah maybe there could be couple of early declarations from the following season (but it might be less motivating to come out early to join an already very strong class). OK it is super risky, I would probably still do it (But I really like A. Thomas and think Christmas would be a great fit too, we're so close I don't want to keep waiting), maybe see if we could get Dallas or Conn to send back their 2nd round pick in 18 in the deal.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 03/15/17 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
We have weekly conference calls and have great discussions involving all staff re draft/trades/FA.
But I must say, this thread is entertaining and informative on fan thinking.
Keep it up. Liberty thread is kicking butt on all others.

Thanks Bill...I normally keep my fan feedback to emails...but I agree...I do think we're the most passionate fans out there but know our basketball as well...There's a reason I refer to your Annual Q and A at the Holiday Party as the "State of the Union" LOL

Sometimes I worry we come close to the line of the Eagles, Maple Leafs or Raiders in terms of almost becoming a hinderance because we are so demanding of our team but I'm glad you like us and value our opinion.

Said this privately many times to both Ticket Reps and KB (and now Swin) but ill air it here since you made such a comment...the biggest positive change from the Blaze Era has been receptiveness to fan feedback and input both in Entertainment Experience and Promotion to the team itself.

I like to view this board as kinda WFAN...a place where we can publically sound off about the team sometimes rationally, sometimes anatically, often times irrationally but always passionately!

Glad to see you getting value out of this and especially this thread.

Keep up the good work Bill...always value you taking time to post here Smile

PostPosted: 03/15/17 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I feel like people are still imagining the Alyssa Thomas they remember from college. She's played about five seconds of power forward in the WNBA. There's really no evidence that she can play the 4 at this level, even if it seems like she could in theory.

Thomas, in college, was a do-everything player who would give you 18 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists every night - from the four.

At her size and with her frame, I thought she would be an idea small forward in the WNBA. The only concern I had was her outside shot. Her three point shot was virtually non-existent - she did not take many and she did not make many. Yet, as Clay Kallam often notes, take a look at a player's free throw percentage to see if the player has the ability to hit a high percentage from that mid-range spot. If so, there is a chance that the three-point shot may develop (especially if the form and mechanics are good). Thomas was a 77.4 percent free throw shooter in college - and she made 557 free throws. Her sophomore year, she was over 80 percent from the line. In leading MD to the Final Four in her senior year, she was at 79.7 percent.

Yet in the W, the shooting has regressed - significantly. While a career 69.1 percent from the line in her three years, her percentage has gone down every year - from 75.7 percent to 65.2 percent to 63.4 percent. She has made one three point basket in her career (on five attempts, none taken since her rookie season).

Her overall shooting was better last year (over 48 percent). And her numbers were solid last season - 11.1 points, 6.0 rebounds (plus 2.3 assists, though 2.4 turnovers).

But CT is a flawed team in many ways. As I posted on the Boneyard last summer, Jasmine Thomas and Alex Bentley are a lot like Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe for the Suns (though Bledsoe has been a lot better this year). They are both combo guards who can score, but who can be volume shooters (with inconsistent outside shots) and not true playamkers or facilitators.

And with JasmineT (career 29.7 percent from three) and Bentley (career 31.4 percent from three) being so inconsistent, CT needs to have outside shooting from other sports on the floor (and a playmaker to get players the ball in the best possible position in terms of placement and how open the players is).

Yet CT had a frontcourt of Little/AlyssaT/Ogwumike starting most of the games last summer. None has a consistent outside shot - and it leaves the post undersized.

Little is gone. My guess with Ogwumike out (or missing significant time) is that Jonquel Jones is likely to start. You might see AlyssaT/Jones/Kizer up front. Or perhaps CT will look at trying Thomas at the four.

But either way, this team is in dire need of three-point shooting and for players, like Thomas, to really improve their outside shots in the offseason.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party. But to piggyback on these other points, I want no part of either Currie or Thomas. Currie has lost at least a step, her shot selection is awful and she doesn't fit the Libs system. Z is flawed and smaller than Currie, but she is definitely the better of the 2.

On Thomas, the Libs would certainly post her up a lot, but otherwise in terms of fastbreak and spacing in the half court offense to penetrate I think she's also a poor fit. Her D is nothing special and her shot remains poor. I'd rather give Allen minutes and let her develop the upside into performance. Short version: if you can't get DeShields regardless of the package or get Christmas inexpensively, why bother? Nothing else is a clear upgrade. And in the process why mess with the upside of Allen unless the upgrade is crystal clear? Allen is a truly elite shooter with the athleticism to develop the other facets of the game.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 03/15/17 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/15/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
No thanks on Danielle Adams. Been there, done that with Kara Braxton.

Yes and Adams is even less of a fit than Kara. The Libs are solid in the post. No need to mess with that part of the rotation unless you're acquiring a star in return.

PostPosted: 03/19/17 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

54 days till opening day. FYI.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 25 of 80

Jump to: