RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The REAL bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 5:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's scheduling has always sucked. I remember Sunday 9:30p UConn tipoffs.

I doubt UConn wants to play at 11 in the morning. It's only good for UConn fans who want to watch later games. The % of that subgroup is pretty low, imo.

Will UConn play at 9pm Monday? It's happened before, although I think last year they played in the 7pm window.

But as has been mentioned, many of you refuse to watch UConn games so it shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And it's only cute a few times to see the teams jumping up and down and screeching when their name is called. Repeat. repeat. repeat. It gets old. In fact it was kind of refreshing to see Syracuse non-reaction when they got screwed. How about showing a highlight from each team's body of work instead? Once. And yeah, at least do something for each of the four top seeds instead of only one or two in each region. This show was just worse than I remember it being the last couple of years, when at least we got analysis of several different matchups. Am I remembering incorrectly? I like Kara and Lobo but they can be much better than this.

I thought it was a delay issue and they hadn't seen the bracket.

PostPosted: 03/14/17 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I doubt UConn wants to play at 11 in the morning. It's only good for UConn fans who want to watch later games. The % of that subgroup is pretty low, imo.

Will UConn play at 9pm Monday? It's happened before, although I think last year they played in the 7pm window.

But as has been mentioned, many of you refuse to watch UConn games so it shouldn't be a problem.

I will watch UCONN games - I just want the chance to flip around when it's a huge blowout. I seldom watch any 1-16 games men's or women's if there are other games on I can watch.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I recall, they do this so we don't all end up stuck with UConn during "whip-around" coverage. Sucks for the UConn (and Albany) fans who have to go to Storrs at butt-o'clock in the morning, but I'd rather have the dogfighting over early.

(now with spelling variations)
Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/14/17 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Meanwhile, I feel reallyREALLY bad for Syracuse.

Syracuse seed and placement is fine. I have no idea why anyone feels bad for them - just like their men's team, if they could beat *anyone* outside of the Carrier Dome, they would've fared much better. Their profile is not remotely near as good as Miami's. Miami was probably a 4/5 and Syracuse a 7/8, but it's nothing egregious.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
And it's only cute a few times to see the teams jumping up and down and screeching when their name is called. Repeat. repeat. repeat. It gets old. In fact it was kind of refreshing to see Syracuse non-reaction when they got screwed. How about showing a highlight from each team's body of work instead? Once. And yeah, at least do something for each of the four top seeds instead of only one or two in each region. This show was just worse than I remember it being the last couple of years, when at least we got analysis of several different matchups. Am I remembering incorrectly? I like Kara and Lobo but they can be much better than this.

I thought it was a delay issue and they hadn't seen the bracket.

I thought the same thing. You could hear the commentators still talking in the background when they went to the team. I just don't think it had popped up on their screen yet. I highly doubt a women's basketball team would have that sort of reaction, regardless of how screwed they felt. The immediate excitement of seeing your name on the screen would have made for a quick & joyous reaction and only after a few minutes and the realization of what happened would they have been like "wtf".

Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
What the hell does "for the good of the game and for the best student-athlete experience" mean?

It means they only have to pay for a bus for Baylor. One fewer planes to charter.

She was a little more direct about it here: https://twitter.com/ncaawbb/status/841456354632036352

She was asked about Cal/Oregon and UNI/Drake in the official press conference and she ummm...can't remember how they got where they ended up

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=127980

We are getting more insight into the committee's priorities, whether they directly acknowledge them or not - e.g. 1st and 2nd round geography apparently now trumps separating teams from the same conference from an unlikely potential matchup in the regional semifinals (Purdue).

I will maintain that Cal/Oregon is a pretty egregious error no matter how they got there or that it doesn't affect the bracket all that much.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn can look forward to staying closer to home next year. 2018 sites.

Albany, NY (UConn, may as well book your hotel and travel now)

Lexington, KY

Kansas City, MO

Spokane, WA

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/14/17 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Lexington, KY

Kansas City, MO

Spokane, WA

Is Spokane closer than Stockton? Wink

Phil

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"

Why is Baylor considered a higher one seed than S Carolina.

[/quote]

They aren't, although they should be.

The SC to west coast was explained.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Lexington, KY

Kansas City, MO

Spokane, WA

Is Spokane closer than Stockton? Wink

Hey, I heard that Dawn is looking for you! Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
I just looked at the times for Saturday and UCONN blowing out their 16 seed opponent is the only game at 11A EST and the next games don't start until 1:30P EST. I get that UCONN is great but how many people want to watch them beat up on a 16 seed?

TV times for Fri and Sat:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18901622/women-2017-ncaa-women-tournament-schedule-key-dates

I swear that same thing happened last year as well. I know they were the only game on TV during their slot and I do think it was Saturday morning.

This happens almost every year. The one team you can count on seeing in the first round is UConn. They didn't get the TeamESPN nickname for nothing.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Some here have made it clear that they have no interest in watching UConn but it has also been clearly demonstrated on the "ratings" thread that the mass market would, for the most part, rather watch a UConn blowout than an 8/9 game between two mediocrities or even most any other match up imaginable, and in the first round exciting games between two outstanding teams are non-existent. First round games are almost always either one-sided or a sad display of missed shots & unforced errors. Would a 2/15, a 3/14 or a 4/13 be more compelling? No. Or more watched? No. The numbers support that.

As much as some would have us believe that ESPN is in bed with UConn the fact is that UConn, even in a blowout, is the most popular show in wcbb and easily the biggest story of the tournament.

There is another more parsimonious (Occam's Razor) interpretation of the ratings : the viewers who prefer UConn vs. 16 seeds to a competitive 8/9 game are UConn fans. Bandwagon UConn fans (created in the past decade because of their sustained excellence) would rather watch UConn play anybody, regardless of how elegant the basketball is. I do not doubt that there are some fans like you, Linkster, but the vast majority just want to watch their team play. I know I would watch ND/RMU even though the game will (hopefully) be terrible from a competitive standpoint, but I wouldn't want the rest of the nation to have that game forced upon them.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/14/17 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:
What the hell does "for the good of the game and for the best student-athlete experience" mean?

It means Baylor will sell us more tickets than South Carolina would Laughing

And if selling tickets was so important why wasn't Stanford sent to Stockton and Or St to Lexington?

I agree, and oddly so did Creme - I say oddly, because he had neither.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone not believe that if, say, Toledo was 107-0, THEY would be featured in a standalone 1-16 massacre?

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I will watch UCONN games - I just want the chance to flip around when it's a huge blowout. I seldom watch any 1-16 games men's or women's if there are other games on I can watch.

Of all the other teams in the field, why did MU have to draw QU?! I guess I gotta root against MU the first round. Go Bobcats! Wink

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think my favorite one for which I would like an explanation is:

Drake, 27-4, 18-0 in conf, winner of MVC tourney, RPI 26, defeated Northern Iowa three times, ranked 20th in the AP poll is a 10 seed.

Northern Iowa, 23-8, 15-3 in conference, 2nd place in MVC tourney, RPI of 52, lost to Drake three times, unranked, probably shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament at all, is also a 10 seed.

Huh? How does that work?

Not only that, but Drake has to play KSt, the beneficiary of the Stanford situation, on KSt's home court, while NIU gets DePaul on a neutral court in Starkville, Mississippi.

Drake got completely screwed.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Drake, 27-4, 18-0 in conf, winner of MVC tourney, RPI 26, defeated Northern Iowa three times, ranked 20th in the AP poll is a 10 seed.

Northern Iowa, 23-8, 15-3 in conference, 2nd place in MVC tourney, RPI of 52, lost to Drake three times, unranked, probably shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament at all, is also a 10 seed.

Huh? How does that work?

Not only that, but Drake has to play KSt, the beneficiary of the Stanford situation, on KSt's home court, while NIU gets DePaul on a neutral court in Starkville, Mississippi.

While Drake was made to sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread, they did lose to Iowa State, Green Bay, Auburn and Creighton - all ok teams, but certainly nothing great. I think it was more that UNI got lucky than that Drake got screwed.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/17 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Huh? How does that work?

While Drake was made to sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread, they did lose to Iowa State, Green Bay, Auburn and Creighton - all ok teams, but certainly nothing great. I think it was more that UNI got lucky than that Drake got screwed.

Well they earned their way in with an auto bid. My question is how they and NIU could possibly end up on the same seed line.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw the interview with Staley on secsports.

Wow, pretty bitter. But what does she expect? Worse RPI, worse rankings, worse SOS, worse record than Notre Dame.

You want to play closer to home? Then don't lose to Duke ( who ND beat twice) and don't lose to a ten loss Missouri team in the closing days of the season. Then maybe you'll end up in Lexington.

I don't believe she'd be whining one bit less if she had gotten the Ok City spot. I think it's all about Lexington.

For a coach who has made a grand total of one final four semi final in her career, she certainly puts on airs.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
linkster wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:

It means Baylor will sell us more tickets than South Carolina would Laughing

Except that Texas would have sold as many if not more tickets in Okl City.

And if selling tickets was so important why wasn't Stanford sent to Stockton and Or St to Lexington?

South Carolina has the highest attendance numbers. If they were playing some place where their fans could get 2 they would be there in full force.

I suspect OrSU's 'Beaver Nation' will show up even if it is a 15 hour drive.

I think they will too.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/14/17 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe the big reason she is bitter is that she found out Coates won't be playing in the NCAA Tournament.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Maybe the big reason she is bitter is that she found out Coates won't be playing in the NCAA Tournament.

Or she's known that for a while and is annoyed that hiding it from the committee didn't help.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
I just looked at the times for Saturday and UCONN blowing out their 16 seed opponent is the only game at 11A EST and the next games don't start until 1:30P EST. I get that UCONN is great but how many people want to watch them beat up on a 16 seed?

TV times for Fri and Sat:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18901622/women-2017-ncaa-women-tournament-schedule-key-dates

As a UConn fan I also find it incredibly annoying haha

+1 AND these whitewash games needlessly bring about the possibilities for player injuries.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/14/17 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
+1 AND these whitewash games needlessly bring about the possibilities for player injuries.

"Needlessly"? Do you propose that the NCAA just give UConn a bye into the 2nd Round? Sweet Sixteen? Elite 8? Final 4? National Championship game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: