RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The REAL bracket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
What the hell does "for the good of the game and for the best student-athlete experience" mean?

It means they only have to pay for a bus for Baylor. One fewer planes to charter.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I had a feeling Michigan would drop out as they lost 4 of their last 5 games and had no top 50 wins. They are a very nice team, but they need to get a chip on their shoulders, show some moxie and start beating their in-state rival for a start.

The bubble team to WNIT story is getting old, but the consolation price is I get to see them at home for hopefully several more games.

They didn't look good in a couple of those losses either.

Probably not going to help their image either when they collapsed while the Michigan men really stepped up and earned their way in.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:20 pm    ::: Re: The REAL bracket Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Brenda, your inflated record and polls don't matter to the Committee. You didn't beat anybody. Stop whining and go sign up some real competition for next fall.

Yeah, she's all talking about controlling what you can control. Well, Brenda, you can control who you schedule...

It'll be interesting to see how they schedule next year...

Watch it be the same...because I don't think she gets it.

You mean you didn't like her nonsense about how this was the "first time" strength of schedule mattered?

Say what? How ridiculous was that?

Gee I didn't know my embarrassingly bad schedule mattered to anyone. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok, let the games begin. I'm ready for the weekend marathon! Very Happy

- Amanda Gorman
AAOK423

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Louisville will most likely have to go through Tennessee to get to No.1 seed Baylor. How familiar does that feel?!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
How did DePaul drop to a 7?!

This was the biggest shock to me.

Wow - I was afraid Marquette was going to get stuck with a 7 and they get a 5. I don't see how Marquette is a 5 but DePaul is a 7. I know MU beat them three times Smile but I still thought DePaul had a better overall resume than MU.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/17 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
So many unasked questions, nobody with the balls to ask the committee chair. Hell, with 2 mins at the end of the show they really don't have time to ask them. Ugh.

Seriously, we have friggin 24 hour marathons about the men's bracket (which I love as well) and just crap for the women.

The hundreds of hours of babble pretending to be analysis about the men's tournament is entirely a product of the tens of billions of dollars being wagered in Vegas, with bookies, and in pools across the Nation.

When billions are bet on the women's tournament, it will get more than two hours of talk.

Well no kidding...I think we all know this. I would just enjoy an hour show that showed the brackets and asked some hard questions of the committee. At least show they notice those things rather than just gloss over everything.

agree. Not asking for hundreds of hours, just TWO quality hours. These guys are good enough to do better than what we just got. There should easily be two hours of unique content, and some real analysis, and new interviews to not rehash the first hour during the second one.

- Amanda Gorman
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What annoyed me was when they interrupted the OKC region to show the UW feature. Like, really? Y'all have one pod left and you have to interrupt because y'all... what, don't think people will remember the team you announced two minutes ago?

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Auburn and Cal. I can't figure out what either one is in.

Although I'll enjoy watching Anigwe.

13 losses, 6-12 conference? How does that get Cal in?

I totally agree. Heck, I'm an Auburn guy and I will be the first to tell anyone that we don't belong in the tournament. The team is 17-14, has one win over a ranked (at the time they played) team, 3-9 in the last twelve games and was 7-9 in conference play. That doesn't say a lot for the field.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And it's only cute a few times to see the teams jumping up and down and screeching when their name is called. Repeat. repeat. repeat. It gets old. In fact it was kind of refreshing to see Syracuse non-reaction when they got screwed. How about showing a highlight from each team's body of work instead? Once. And yeah, at least do something for each of the four top seeds instead of only one or two in each region. This show was just worse than I remember it being the last couple of years, when at least we got analysis of several different matchups. Am I remembering incorrectly? I like Kara and Lobo but they can be much better than this.

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This little Twitter interview with Gawlik shows Auburn, Cal, Purdue and UNI as the last four in and GW, Michigan, South Dakota State and UVA in the first four out.

Does that look like an official order? If so, Cal wasn't even last in.

https://twitter.com/ncaawbb/status/841456354632036352

bballgrl

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:
What the hell does "for the good of the game and for the best student-athlete experience" mean?

It means Baylor will sell us more tickets than South Carolina would Laughing

Except that Texas would have sold as many if not more tickets in Okl City.

And if selling tickets was so important why wasn't Stanford sent to Stockton and Or St to Lexington?

South Carolina has the highest attendance numbers. If they were playing some place where their fans could get 2 they would be there in full force.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just looked at the times for Saturday and UCONN blowing out their 16 seed opponent is the only game at 11A EST and the next games don't start until 1:30P EST. I get that UCONN is great but how many people want to watch them beat up on a 16 seed?

TV times for Fri and Sat:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18901622/women-2017-ncaa-women-tournament-schedule-key-dates

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
I just looked at the times for Saturday and UCONN blowing out their 16 seed opponent is the only game at 11A EST and the next games don't start until 1:30P EST. I get that UCONN is great but how many people want to watch them beat up on a 16 seed?

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18901622/women-2017-ncaa-women-tournament-schedule-key-dates

I swear that same thing happened last year as well. I know they were the only game on TV during their slot and I do think it was Saturday morning.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just noticed that as well, same as last year. So this is the game we need to feature nationally for the entire country to see. Good idea, a massive blowout will really just push the stereotype that there is no parity even though last year two non traditional teams made it to the Final 4. Play 2 or 3 games at 11 then so you can do whip around coverage if a better game pops up.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I swear that same thing happened last year as well. I know they were the only game on TV during their slot and I do think it was Saturday morning.

And UCONN is the only one I think they are doing it with - I see overlapping games all the other times. At least I know I *should* be protected from whip around coverage for the Marquette game. But I won't be for UWGB which is annoying - GB is only 2 hours from here.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Cal was probably the very last one in. I guess they were rewarding the conference because Cal sucked. So much potential, so little actualization.

Cal would be pretty good if they could just learn how to make a post entry pass.

I'm excited for the Bears and for the conference, but I'm baffled at a 9 seed.

brunie1064

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

They do that so we have a time slot to do other things like run errands before settling in to watch a day of basketball.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

As a UConn fan I also find it incredibly annoying haha

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

brunie1064 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

They do that so we have a time slot to do other things like run errands before settling in to watch a day of basketball.

We have a winner!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some here have made it clear that they have no interest in watching UConn but it has also been clearly demonstrated on the "ratings" thread that the mass market would, for the most part, rather watch a UConn blowout than an 8/9 game between two mediocrities or even most any other match up imaginable, and in the first round exciting games between two outstanding teams are non-existent. First round games are almost always either one-sided or a sad display of missed shots & unforced errors. Would a 2/15, a 3/14 or a 4/13 be more compelling? No. Or more watched? No. The numbers support that.

As much as some would have us believe that ESPN is in bed with UConn the fact is that UConn, even in a blowout, is the most popular show in wcbb and easily the biggest story of the tournament.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Cal was probably the very last one in. I guess they were rewarding the conference because Cal sucked. So much potential, so little actualization.

Cal would be pretty good if they could just learn how to make a post entry pass.

I'm excited for the Bears and for the conference, but I'm baffled at a 9 seed.

Since the last four teams in were, in alphabetical order: Auburn, Cal, UNI, and Purdue, my theory is the "original" 10-seeds were South Florida, Cal, UNI, Purdue, and Drake and Oregon were 9-seeds.

Switch Purdue (#10 at Duke) with Oregon (#9 at Notre Dame) to make Purdue play close to home. (Oregon has to fly anyways)

Switch Drake (#9 at Baylor) with California (#10 at Kansas St), due to Drake being somewhat close to Kansas St (<5 hours) and keep separate Cal from Stanford.

Switch South Florida (#10 at Oregon St) with Toledo (#11 at Florida St) to keep South Florida instate (Toledo has to fly anyways)

Howee

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, myyyy....

Well, y'all 'n your "reflections" here provide far more entertainment (and contain much more validity) than anything that came out of that show.
Charlie Crème diplomatically explains what a FlusterCluck this year's bracket actually is.

My dear Sooners did okay enough....in their regional, they're actually better off as a 6 than a 5, imo: Gonzaga will be tough, and WA--in Seattle, no less--is daunting. But, they DID beat Kelsey and the Plum-ettes last season, so hope springs eternal. The odds for that are only slightly better than getting by Louisville IN Louisville would have been, had they been a 5.

Meanwhile, I feel reallyREALLY bad for Syracuse. That's just not right. And SC is just destined to reap tons o' frequent flier miles. I feel a little bad for MD but....we shall see. I do believe if the stars align, there ARE teams that could take down the Geno-ettes before the FF.

Though I'm not sure of how "fair"/not fair it was for the Big 12 to get 6 teams in, I'm certainly glad for it. I do believe WVU has the best potential for Cinderella slippers, of its teams not named TX or Baylor.

Note of interest: Lexie Brown could very likely face her old teammates from MD. Razz

Last edited by Howee on 03/13/17 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
linkster wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
linkster wrote:

It means Baylor will sell us more tickets than South Carolina would Laughing

Except that Texas would have sold as many if not more tickets in Okl City.

And if selling tickets was so important why wasn't Stanford sent to Stockton and Or St to Lexington?

South Carolina has the highest attendance numbers. If they were playing some place where their fans could get 2 they would be there in full force.

I suspect OrSU's 'Beaver Nation' will show up even if it is a 15 hour drive.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/14/17 4:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Some here have made it clear that they have no interest in watching UConn but it has also been clearly demonstrated on the "ratings" thread that the mass market would, for the most part, rather watch a UConn blowout than an 8/9 game between two mediocrities or even most any other match up imaginable, and in the first round exciting games between two outstanding teams are non-existent. First round games are almost always either one-sided or a sad display of missed shots & unforced errors. Would a 2/15, a 3/14 or a 4/13 be more compelling? No. Or more watched? No. The numbers support that.

As much as some would have us believe that ESPN is in bed with UConn the fact is that UConn, even in a blowout, is the most popular show in wcbb and easily the biggest story of the tournament.

The entire point of team-based games is to compete with other teams to win the games. So you denounce games between two "mediocrities", where games are a "sad display of missed shots & unforced errors", and instead laud a game where ONE of the combatants will be such a team, versus Connecticut?

With the end result being a vastly un-competitive farce where the one team that is missing shots and committing errors stands out even more? At least with the other scenario, the playing field is more level and thus BOTH combatants have a more equal chance to compete and win. Which is the point of playing such type games, and also the main point why others like us wish to watch them. It's not that difficult to grasp, as long as one desires to.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: