RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Field of 64
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 03/09/17 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how the committee will view JMU versus Virginia. Their thought process is often inscrutable. I wasn't predicting what the committee would do, I was making the point that JMU is a far stronger team than Virginia. YMMV

EDIT = My bad - I was looking at 2016, not 2017

Last edited by Phil on 03/09/17 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do you think JMU is stronger than UVA? I expect UVA would win 8 out of 10 if they played each other now.

UVA has played a far tougher schedule, has beaten much better teams, and especially the last half of the season, has been playing better basketball, in my view.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/09/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My bad, I was looking at 2016, not 2017.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/09/17 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Drexel "last out", and AAC a 3 bid conference merely on the strength of a supposedly higher RPI merely because UConn is in their conference? I don't think so. For one, JMU has a better record than Drexel, and for the other, two, UConn and USF.

Drexel - RPI 79 SOS 140 top 50 RPI wins 1(Syracuse, rpi 31)

USF - RPI 30 SOS 54 top 50 RPI wins 2(Temple,rpi 18,)

Temple - RPI 18 SOS 52 top 50 RPI wins 4(Quin, rpi 32, DePaul rpi 17, USF, rpi 30)

JMU - RPI 41, SOS 83, top 50 rpi wins 2(Elon, rpi 29)

I'm no fan of RPI but the NCAA is. But Massey rates Drexel 105, JMU 63, USF 35, Temple 33

elsie

PostPosted: 03/09/17 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"First & Second Rounds | March 17-20, 2017
First- and second-round competition for the 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship will be held on 16 non-predetermined campus sites. At each campus site, four teams will compete in single-elimination first-round competition. The two winning teams will then compete against each other in single-elimination second-round competition at the same campus site. The winning team from each of the 16 second-round games will advance to the regional rounds of play."

I found this at the NCAA site....it says "16 non predetermined campus sites"......for those experts here, what the heck does that mean?...does it mean nobody knows for sure where they play from the list of 16 sites or does it mean the sites themselves could be anywhere....

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
"First & Second Rounds | March 17-20, 2017
First- and second-round competition for the 2017 NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Championship will be held on 16 non-predetermined campus sites. At each campus site, four teams will compete in single-elimination first-round competition. The two winning teams will then compete against each other in single-elimination second-round competition at the same campus site. The winning team from each of the 16 second-round games will advance to the regional rounds of play."

I found this at the NCAA site....it says "16 non predetermined campus sites"......for those experts here, what the heck does that mean?...does it mean nobody knows for sure where they play from the list of 16 sites or does it mean the sites themselves could be anywhere....

The schools who are named the top 16 seeds will each host the first and second rounds. There was a period of time when the first two rounds were held at predetermined sites. I think attendance was generally not that good since they were almost always neutral sites, and so the NCAA went back to having the higher seed host. So the 16 sites are now considered "non predetermined".

In 2007, I went to Minnesota for the first weekend of the tourney. Even though the Gophers were not playing, the attendance was actually terrific because Iowa State sent up busloads of fans.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thx....

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/10/17 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Generally it's the top 16, but sometimes there are site conflicts for those teams. For instance, Stanford cannot host this year due to their arena being used for PAC12 gymnastics.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

soo, if Stanford can't host, where do you think those games will be played?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/17 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

Historically, the next highest seed in the pod hosts

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
elsie wrote:

Pair Stanford with Marquette as a 7 please Smile. I have a feeling that won't happen - Marquette is hosting some first and second round Men's games and their staff is probably pretty busy with that plus hotel rooms are probably already pretty full with that.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 03/10/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
pilight wrote:
elsie wrote:

Pair Stanford with Marquette as a 7 please Smile. I have a feeling that won't happen - Marquette is hosting some first and second round Men's games and their staff is probably pretty busy with that plus hotel rooms are probably already pretty full with that.

I can't see Marquette being any worse than a 6-seed anyways. Teams I can see as 7-seeds are Kansas St, Oklahoma, Creighton, Syracuse, and maybe West Virginia or Tennessee if they aren't 6-seeds. Smile

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/11/17 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
pilight wrote:
elsie wrote:

I can't see Marquette being any worse than a 6-seed anyways. Teams I can see as 7-seeds are Kansas St, Oklahoma, Creighton, Syracuse, and maybe West Virginia or Tennessee if they aren't 6-seeds. Smile

Charlie Creme only has MU as a 7 and I'm a little surprised he has Creighton as an 8. I am still a tad worried MU may only get an 8 though. They got an 8 in 2011 (last time they were in) and the thought had been they would be a better seed then too. I did find a post on a messageboard from March 2011 saying Marquette was predicted as a 6 that year by Creme but then got the 8 seed Sad. Now I am more worried about getting an 8 this year too - in 2011 they were an rpi of 27 and SOS of 51 - this year their rpi is 28 and SOS 56 - so what's to say they won't get an 8 this year too? Hopefully their 5 wins over top 25 rpi teams and the BE Tournament title gets them above the 8 seed this year.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Multiple Bid Conferences
8 ACC
7 SEC
6 P12
6 B12
4 BEast
3 AAC
2 B10
2 MVC
2 CAA
2 SunBelt

Just Missed: New Hampshire, Georgia, South Dakota State, Auburn
Last In: Northern Iowa, Arkansas-Little Rock, Virginia, St John's

How did I arrive at this?

First, I gave two points for a win over a top 25 RPI team and one for a win over a 26-50 RPI team.

Then, I subtracted one point for a loss to a 26-50 team, and two for a loss against a sub-50 team.

Teams more than one game under .500 in conference are not allowed in.

Many teams were moved within the same seed to prevent teams in the same conference from meeting before the conference finals or to meet the new rules about conferences with top four seeds. In this instance four teams swapped seeds to avoid this. Creighton and Iowa State moved up one; NC State and Syracuse moved down one.

Ties went in favor of the team with better RPI.

The cut off for getting in as an at large was -8 points. It took 20 points to get a #1 seed.

Last edited by pilight on 03/13/17 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/17 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have Qinnipiac in there twice, and the CAA listed as a 2-bid conference but only Elon on the grid. There's only one Quinnipiac in existence AFAIK
Wink

We think up here that JMU will go to the WNIT.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
You have Qinnipiac in there twice, and the CAA listed as a 2-bid conference but only Elon on the grid. There's only one Quinnipiac in existence AFAIK
Wink

We think up here that JMU will go to the WNIT.

One of those is supposed to be JMU. I'll fix it.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

System definitely needs retooling. Two things I predict won't happen: Maryland as a #4 seed, and Big Ten only getting 2 entries.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/13/17 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
System definitely needs retooling. Two things I predict won't happen: Maryland as a #4 seed, and Big Ten only getting 2 entries.

X_________________

colt13

PostPosted: 03/13/17 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because every Mid Major except UCONN is downgraded for the conference schedule, I might say 1.50 for their 1-25 wins, and .50 for 26-50. Keep the losses the same.

Guess is since UCONN's non conference is so strong, it shouldn't affect them, but all of the others.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/17 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's going to take some serious contortion of logic to get another B10 team in. Michigan has no wins against the top 50 of RPI, Michigan State has no top 25 wins and a pair of sub 150 losses, and it goes on like that all the way down the standings Penn State's win over Tennessee is the only top 25 RPI win for the conference outside the top two teams.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would love to see Tennessee matched up with Oregon State or Maryland or Baylor, for some head-to-head W prospect battles. Same with Washington v Ohio State.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/13/17 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

It was a really easy call, but I still have to clear my throat. *cough*

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 03/13/17 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shades wrote:

It was a really easy call, but I still have to clear my throat. *cough*

If you could do better, you would.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: