RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

CAA Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/10/17 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dukes missing some FTs but getting 2 Off. Reb. after each.

Game over as 74-64 with 40 ticks left.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/10/17 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU wins 76-68. On to Elon for the finals tomorrow!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back from the game and dinner after. It was pretty exciting, not always in a good way. PHall was on her game tonight but was visibly tired halfway through the 4th. The"small team" of Reynolds, Barron, Hall, Smalls, Barrier, Young, and Butler in various combinations seemed to be working better tonight. Porter was definitely having an off night and Felgemacher didn't get a lot of playing time either. In our favor was the fact that Drexel doesn't have a terribly deep bench.

Got to see the last part of the Elon game also and was sorry that they didn't get more of a workout. They're the team that plays most like us. which could be a good or a bad thing. Unless some school picks off Charlotte Smith (which could happen!) they are likely to be JMU's nemesis for a good while.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the finals are underway. On Comcast Sports Net, 642 on DirecTV.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/17 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, JMU certainly plays plenty physically. At both ends of the court. If they called all the contact, JMU would have players fouling out before halftime.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/17 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elon leads 16-10 at the end of one quarter. Hall has 8 of JMU's 10 pts.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/11/17 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hall is very, very good, but I've been more intrigued by the freshman Kamiah Smalls since JMU visited STJ earlier this year.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elon just shredding the Dukes. I didn't realize Charlotte Smith is the coach.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/17 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good thing they had that big lead because Hall is being Precious.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/11/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sorry Summertime. But maybe JMU will make some noise in the WNIT. And perhaps they will even host, giving you another chance to see them.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joanne P McCallie at the game in Elon gear cheering for her daughter who plays for Elon. Looked relaxed and like she was having fun.

JMU played good defense but really lacked scorers other than Hall.

Were these JMU home announcers? Seemed like it, like they were far more familiar with and connected to JMU.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/17 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officials did not seem to know what a jump ball was. Some really spurious fouls called, others not at all....for instance, one that should have been where Amber Porter had an Elon player hanging off her arm like a Christmas ornament for several seconds with the official looking right at them. However, Jenifer Rhodes of Elon was T'd up for a very obvious "FU" to either an official or to PHall, not sure which. Her coach removed her from the game for several minutes. Elon players appealed almost every foul called against them very dramatcally. Rolling Eyes

Just after we sat down not too far from the JMU pep band, something was being explained to them, and shortly thereafter a number of them packed up their instruments but returned to sit (or stand, which most of them do anyway) with the band. Among the usual signs a couple of new ones appeared, "Threatened by the band" and "This is not a library". Right before the traditional "Start Wearing Purple" was played, the director turned around and yelled "This is OUR HOUSE!" That got a huge cheer from the crowd. They were, despite having fewer instruments, much more vocal than usual (I should mention that the pep band also functions pretty much as our student cheering section). I checked with a band parent I know and he told me that the Elon AD had complained that our pep band had "too many members" (theirs is puny, befitting the size of their school, and sounds pretty puny too). This did not go over well with either the band or the JMU fans when the word spread, as can be imagined. I suspect the next time Elon comes to JMU the band will be even louder and possibly more numerous. Their AD won't be there and won't have anything to say about it.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Officials did not seem to know what a jump ball was. Some really spurious fouls called, others not at all....for instance, one that should have been where Amber Porter had an Elon player hanging off her arm like a Christmas ornament for several seconds with the official looking right at them. However, Jenifer Rhodes of Elon was T'd up for a very obvious "FU" to either an official or to PHall, not sure which. Her coach removed her from the game for several minutes. Elon players appealed almost every foul called against them very dramatcally. Rolling Eyes

Just after we sat down not too far from the JMU pep band, something was being explained to them, and shortly thereafter a number of them packed up their instruments but returned to sit (or stand, which most of them do anyway) with the band. Among the usual signs a couple of new ones appeared, "Threatened by the band" and "This is not a library". Right before the traditional "Start Wearing Purple" was played, the director turned around and yelled "This is OUR HOUSE!" That got a huge cheer from the crowd. They were, despite having fewer instruments, much more vocal than usual (I should mention that the pep band also functions pretty much as our student cheering section). I checked with a band parent I know and he told me that the Elon AD had complained that our pep band had "too many members" (theirs is puny, befitting the size of their school, and sounds pretty puny too). This did not go over well with either the band or the JMU fans when the word spread, as can be imagined. I suspect the next time Elon comes to JMU the band will be even louder and possibly more numerous. Their AD won't be there and won't have anything to say about it.

This wasn't a "home game" for JMU. It was the conference's site. I expect there were rules and protocols for how many people could be in each school's band. There always are at these tournament games. JMU should have been following the rules.

I don't blame Elon for complaining. They were the league champions. No reason to sit back and shut up while JMU tried to turn it into more of a home game than it already was.

Another instance where money trumped competitive integrity. Pretty ridiculous to hold a league tournament in the gym of someone other than the #1 seed just because it's cheaper and they can sell more tickets than at a neutral site like before.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/17 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU's band was the same size it had been for every game. No other AD or band had complained. It was only the Elon AD who had to get all pissy. Not UNCW, not Drexel. The Elon band also ate some of JMU's time and played longer than they should have, but nothing was said to them. This is not exactly playing well with others. Besides which, they had been a bit rude to the William and Mary band the night before, eating up some of their time as well. So it looks a little suspicious.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious JMU was breaking the rules or the officials wouldn't have told them to lose some members.

Elon was playing at enough of a disadvantage already, considering hey had earned the #1 seed. I see no reason why they should have ignored JMU's disregard for the conference rules.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/17 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It's pretty obvious JMU was breaking the rules or the officials wouldn't have told them to lose some members.

Elon was playing at enough of a disadvantage already, considering hey had earned the #1 seed. I see no reason why they should have ignored JMU's disregard for the conference rules.

I repeat, only ELON complained. The other teams they played did not, and they were just as familiar with the venue and the sound.

And I have no idea why the conference made the decision they did about the venue. That's on them. They had not said anything to JMU about the *number* of band members prior to the tournament. This I do know. They had told them that they couldn't play the usual fanfare when introducing the players, or play the fight song right after, but that was it.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I repeat, only ELON complained. The other teams they played did not, and they were just as familiar with the venue and the sound.

And I have no idea why the conference made the decision they did about the venue. That's on them. They had not said anything to JMU about the *number* of band members prior to the tournament. This I do know. They had told them that they couldn't play the usual fanfare when introducing the players, or play the fight song right after, but that was it.

I'm sure there was an entire set of written procedures and it always includes the size of each school's band because that directly affects seating and ticket dustribution. Always does. Pretty basic. If there wasn't a rule being broken the officuals wouldn't have told them to get smaller.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/12/17 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that certainly wasn't hard to find. Right on page 63 in the WBB championships section of the 2016-2017 CAA Handbook it says:

"Bands. Electronic amplification will be permitted at the Conference Championship. The band will include a
maximum of 29 members and one (1)director.
[Adopted: June 8, 2016]"

As the school with the contract to provide the facility, I'm sure JMU knew the rules. You'll have to ask them why they chose to ignore them.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/17 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*shrug* Don't know how often or how stringently it's enforced. IME, auch things usually aren't made a huge deal of unless someone wants to be a pissant. And you seem to rather enjoy that role yourself. But that's my LAST word on the subject.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
*shrug* Don't know how often or how stringently it's enforced. IME, auch things usually aren't made a huge deal of unless someone wants to be a pissant. And you seem to rather enjoy that role yourself. But that's my LAST word on the subject.

Since the rule was just adopted or changed last summer, one would think everyone would be aware of it and follow it.

Some people always want to get an advantage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: