RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2017 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Deshields and Mitchell join Plum in the draft I could see some teams not currently in the lottery trying to move up to get one or any of the three. Let us throw out some trade scenarios (just to pass the time) we could see some teams coming up with.

here's 3 from me for now

Atlanta decides to go into rebuild mode and want to being in hometown girl Deshields I could see them offering a combo of Hayes and #7 to either SA or Chicago if Deshields lands at #2. Personally I like Hayes so If I'm SA I might consider, a decent vet combined in a 2 for 1 deal might appeal to the talent starved Stars, and while I like Diamond a lot I she may or may not develop into that superstar, you've already seen what Hayes can do, and you can still get some value at the #5 adn#7 pick. Hayes and McBride are both equal in size but either could play at the SF spot. I might consider it if I'm Chicago as well, but Chicago doesn't really need a 2 for 1, unless they are moving on from some of their other vets.

We've all been think Seattle might be interested in Plum, but without a first round pick it is hard to put a package together that might tempt any of the lottery teams. Would Seattle be interested enough in Plum to offer Langhorne and Clark to SA. Would SA want two decent vets to stabilize their roster, or would they rather go another year with young talent.

Would Seattle want Plum enough to offer Chicago Loyd for the Plum pick. I doubt it, could they get Chicago to make it Loyd for #2 Plum and #9 or Dallas to offer #3 Plum and #10, or possible #3 Plum and #4?

Could Seattle offer Chicago Clark And their 2018 first round pick to Chicago for #2 Plum? or the same deal to Dallas for #3 if Plum is still their?

Just some ideas, can anyone think of any others? Usually it is hard to get people to give up their lottery pick, but with all the tops pick having some questions marks, could someone put together a package that would appeal enough to Chicago, Sa or Dallas to pull the trigger.

Would any of those player be tempting to say Washington or Indy enough to put together a package. I think Pokey or Mike T might find some of those player appealing enough to at least try. Plum in Washington? Mitchell or Deshields in Indy? I could see it.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/12/17 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no way in hell Seattle is even remotely considering trading Jewell Loyd.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/12/17 4:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
There is no way in hell Seattle is even remotely considering trading Jewell Loyd.

Agreed. They've made it clear that they are not going to compromise everything they've built for anyone this year. It's to the point where they are not even planning on having a draft party as they are not anticipating having a 1st round pick.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/12/17 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just keep looking at Dallas and thinking they can't have roster room for all those picks. And they've also got what everyone seems to need in TWO small forwards (Christmas and Powers with Hooper to back up). I'd heard they were trying to pry several big players loose by offering a combination of Sims and a pick which clearly no one bit on. I still think they are in a win-now mode and so can't afford to take someone and develop them. I figure they would love a good shooting guard.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/12/17 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I just keep looking at Dallas and thinking they can't have roster room for all those picks.

You'd think that, but then you look at the roster. They've signed essentially nobody in free agency, while losing Pierson and Sims, which leaves something like:

Diggins
Phillips
Christmas/Powers
Johnson
Paris

...in terms of players who aren't utterly cuttable in training camp if anything decent happened to be in front of them. That's only six players. So they really can just use all the picks if they have to. I'm sure they'd love a trade to present itself, and I absolutely think they were hoping for that when they acquired all these picks, but making a trade just for the sake of it seems silly.

The best option for that guard they need might end up being 'pray Mitchell and DeShields declare, then take whoever's left out of those two and Plum'.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Deshields and Mitchell declare I expect them to go 1 and 2. I could see Mitchell or Plum dropping to 3, (most likely Plum) but I can't see Chicago passing on Deshields. If I'm Dallas, my draft preferences would be:
No one declares
3: Coates or B. Jones
4: A. Jones or SWK
10: Akhator or McCall
Deshields or Mitchell Declare
3. Plum or Coates
4. A. Jones, B. Jones, or SWK
10: Akhator or McCall
Deshields and Mitchell Declare
3: Plum or Mitchell
4: Coates or B. Jones
10. Akhator or McCall

PostPosted: 03/12/17 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know it's negativity, but kinda hoping tOSU and Tenn go out of the tourney early so we'll know one way or the other.

- Amanda Gorman
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mitchell is playing for her dad and with her twin sister. Not sure why she would come out early when she's a top 3 pick this year and next year as well behind Wilson and Turner.
toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Mitchell is playing for her dad and with her twin sister. Not sure why she would come out early when she's a top 3 pick this year and next year as well behind Wilson and Turner.

Mitchell should be the #1 pick if she comes out for 2017. In 2018 she might drop to #3 or #4. That's really the only factor and if she's content in playing for San Antonio.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coming out a year earlier also means getting that pesky rookie contract out of the way a year earlier = 1 extra year of max salary (if she's the looking-ahead type)

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The salary is the same for the first four picks, so there's no material difference. It's just an ego thing for those who care whether they're 1,2,3 or 4.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The salary is the same for the first four picks, so there's no material difference. It's just an ego thing for those who care whether they're 1,2,3 or 4.

It makes no difference as far as WNBA salary, but I disagree that it's just an ego thing. Sponsors will pay more for the #1 pick, as will overseas teams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 03/12/17 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

It makes no difference as far as WNBA salary, but I disagree that it's just an ego thing. Sponsors will pay more for the #1 pick, as will overseas teams.

This! I feel this is the main reason why Loyd came out in 2015. She knew she'd drop to #2 or #3 in the 2016 draft(probably #3 or even #4 if Tuck still goes #3).

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/12/17 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if there's a chance Lexie Brown enters the 2017 WNBA Draft. Lexie could be drafted by her local WNBA team Atlanta Dream with the 7th selection of the 1st round.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/12/17 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

This! I feel this is the main reason why Loyd came out in 2015. She knew she'd drop to #2 or #3 in the 2016 draft(probably #3 or even #4 if Tuck still goes #3).

In a down year like 2015, when there might be no one interesting at all, maybe the #1 pick can benefit from the weak pool for sponsors. That assumes sponsors feel an urgency to sign a female player every year, which I doubt. The player would still have to bring some kind of appeal of her own -- just being #1 isn't enough. If you're good-looking, have lots of personality or have a good story, that probably counts even more. Whether Plum is #1 or not, I'm willing to bet she gets the most endorsements. She's the all-time leading scorer in NCAA women's basketball history, and it doesn't hurt that she's white. How has Griner done with endorsements versus EDD and Diggins?

Overseas teams will pay based on production. They have the luxury of waiting to see how a player performs during the season. First picks tend to be the most productive for obvious reasons, so yes, they tend to get paid more.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In Loyd's case I wouldn't be surprised if she was motivated by Location. If she was confident that she would be the #1 pick in 2015, which was a prettysafe assumption it meant she could basically pick Seattle as her long term rookie commitment contract. More like being a free agent than a draftee.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/13/17 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coming out a year early is about $200,000 of income that will not be available again.

Regardless of how long you play, you only have so many years, and this is one of them. As I've said too many times, not many young people have the opportunity to make that much money in their early 20s, and I would think you'd have to really love the college experience to turn it down.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Coming out a year early is about $200,000 of income that will not be available again.

I don't think that's 100% true. The superstars tend to stop earning at the end of their playing careers when they want to. So you could keep playing an extra year for more money at the end, having given up the year at the start to be a college kid a bit longer.

But yes, the tier below that (or at least anyone who falls below that tier) are giving up a prime earning year. Most of the top end male players are thinking about their second contract by the time they hit their age-22 season.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Nope, had nothing to do with that. She was ready to move on.

Note that even if OSU and UT end earlier players don't have to declare until April 3. Now that the NC game is played on Sunday, this includes all players. So while we all hope to know sooner, we really can't say for sure until then.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/13/17 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, here are the main considerations for leaving early:

1) Are you enjoying your college experience? If you have an interest in the academic side and you're loving college life, then that's a major reason to stay. If you're in a top program with the possibility of winning a championship, that's also a big incentive. Or maybe you're interested in becoming a doctor or entering some other lofty profession so that your degree(s) is more important. In the grand scheme of things, basketball isn't the highest priority in your life. However, if you're only in college to play basketball and you find academics to be a grind, then it's an easy decision to leave. Or if you don't like your coach and/or teammates, that's another no-brainer.

2) How important are monetary considerations? For an athlete, your earning power will only last as long as your physical abilities. Whether you view leaving early as one more year upfront or at the end of your career, it is still an extra 12-month period of earning power. Is that a cost you can bear in exchange for enjoying one more year of college experience? Do you have family obligations that could benefit from an immediate cash infusion? A player's current financial status and immediate needs can't be overlooked. Peyton Manning twice passed up being the #1 pick in football to stay in school. I'm sure coming from a well-off family made the decision easier. The same was true when the Yankees drafted and failed to sign Gerritt Cole out of high school. He came from a wealthy family. On the other hand, you have the example of Epiphanny Prince, who mentioned her family as a reason why she left school early to turn pro overseas.

3) Choice of team. If you know that coming out early will result in being drafted by a team that is appealing to you, then here's a chance to control your destiny... or at least destination.

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was in the why do people think Mitchell will leave early camp. She has family ties connected to her college career (Dad and Sister) The final four in in Ohio next year, and Ohio state should be a better team next year than this, giving them a shot at a strong finish in 18.

I think why so many think she is considering leaving is because it came out that she is on pace to graduate by the end of this summer.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I was in the why do people think Mitchell will leave early camp. She has family ties connected to her college career (Dad and Sister) The final four in in Ohio next year, and Ohio state should be a better team next year than this, giving them a shot at a strong finish in 18.

I think why so many think she is considering leaving is because it came out that she is on pace to graduate by the end of this summer.

I'm in that camp as well. I had heard from one coach that he thought she'd leave but then a coach with closer connections said that a) the 2018 Final Four in Columbus was a big goal and 2) the probability of breaking Kelsey Plum's record is also appealing. It sounded like relative draft position was not a concern (unlike Diamond). So yes, I think she stays.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I'm in that camp as well. I had heard from one coach that he thought she'd leave but then a coach with closer connections said that a) the 2018 Final Four in Columbus was a big goal and 2) the probability of breaking Kelsey Plum's record is also appealing. It sounded like relative draft position was not a concern (unlike Diamond). So yes, I think she stays.

This all sounds great but i still would not be suprised to see her entry given in april .

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of mocks are now penciling in Russell, does anyone have any info on why all of a sudden she is popping up when she still has another year of eligibility?

Is there anything to this rumor? Or are people just board with this draft and want to spice it up, and Russell's improved play late in the season make her an intriguing choice?

Also people are including her but she is going 3rd among posts. Does anyone think her size and higher ceiling could get her drafted before Coates and/or Jones?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I've noticed a lot of mocks are now penciling in Russell, does anyone have any info on why all of a sudden she is popping up when she still has another year of eligibility?

Is there anything to this rumor? Or are people just board with this draft and want to spice it up, and Russell's improved play late in the season make her an intriguing choice?

Also people are including her but she is going 3rd among posts. Does anyone think her size and higher ceiling could get her drafted before Coates and/or Jones?

"The ceiling is the roof."

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 43 of 73

Jump to: