RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I was waiting for some info on Wright and I'm a little bummed. The core thing always seemed a little weird to me. I'm wondering if there is more to the story, but at least we know where things stand for 2017.

I'd be grateful if someone who understands these things--I certainly don't--could explain or at least guess about how it is that Wright gets cored and then announces she's sitting out the season. I suppose this sequence could be a coincidence, but indeed it seems like "there is more to the story" as is speculated by J-Spoon.

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are these sources reliable? Not that I'd be surprised if Wright were sitting out, but I don't see anything on the Liberty website or their social media. Nor are there comments from other Liberty players.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The less suspicious theory is that management couldn't get any kind of assurance from Wright that she was going sign with the Liberty in 2017, so they thought she might leave and cored her, when the truth was she was considering sitting out, but simply didn't want to make the final decision until closer to the season.

The more suspicious theory would be that Wright wanted to go somewhere else specific, NY cored her to prevent that from happening. A deal with that other destination didn't work out, so Wright decided to rest instead of playing in NY this upcoming season.

#1 seem much more likely

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a different note in the SA thread there was a short conversation about a trade of Zellous for Currie, any opinions? (NY could also throw in the #14 pick if that made the difference.) I know some have suggested Currie before in this thread as solution for our lack of true SFs.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
On a different note in the SA thread there was a short conversation about a trade of Zellous for Currie, any opinions? (NY could also throw in the #14 pick if that made the difference.) I know some have suggested Currie before in this thread as solution for our lack of true SFs.

Where were you in September? Wink Richyyy made that trade proposal on page 1 of this thread. Given our logjam at SG, I think people were OK with it, although some fans think only a blockbuster deal will make a real difference.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Where were you in September? Wink Richyyy made that trade proposal on page 1 of this thread. Given our logjam at SG, I think people were OK with it, although some fans think only a blockbuster deal will make a real difference.

September and page 1 of this thread seems so log ago now, my how time flies when were discussing the same few things over and over again.

I'm kind of mixed on the idea myself, it makes sense in terms of need, but I like Zellous more than Currie. Not that I have anything against Currie, I just have always liked rooting for Zellous and never felt one way or the other about Currie.

root_thing

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

September and page 1 of this thread seems so log ago now, my how time flies when were discussing the same few things over and over again.

I'm kind of mixed on the idea myself, it makes sense in terms of need, but I like Zellous more than Currie. Not that I have anything against Currie, I just have always liked rooting for Zellous and never felt one way or the other about Currie.

Since backup SF is vacant, the theory is that having a real SF like Currie is better than shoving an undersized SG into the position. When Cash was out, the Liberty struggled a bit with rebounding. It's not only the grabbing of rebounds that matters but also the boxing out and battling underneath to keep loose balls in play. Most guards don't seem to have the mentality -- partly because they don't have the size. Currie is also a stockier SF, which NY needs to defend against the muscular Alyssa Thomas and Karima Christmas types.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The less suspicious theory is that management couldn't get any kind of assurance from Wright that she was going sign with the Liberty in 2017, so they thought she might leave and cored her, when the truth was she was considering sitting out, but simply didn't want to make the final decision until closer to the season.

The more suspicious theory would be that Wright wanted to go somewhere else specific, NY cored her to prevent that from happening. A deal with that other destination didn't work out, so Wright decided to rest instead of playing in NY this upcoming season.

#1 seem much more likely

Thanks for these theories and your analysis.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Since backup SF is vacant, the theory is that having a real SF like Currie is better than shoving an undersized SG into the position. When Cash was out, the Liberty struggled a bit with rebounding. It's not only the grabbing of rebounds that matters but also the boxing out and battling underneath to keep loose balls in play. Most guards don't seem to have the mentality -- partly because they don't have the size. Currie is also a stockier SF, which NY needs to defend against the muscular Alyssa Thomas and Karima Christmas types.

If there isn't going to be a bigger trade, then a move like this makes sense to me. I like Zellous as a player. But, given the current roster--and even with Wright not playing this season--Zellous seems expendable if New York can get a bulkier SF to share the position with Allen. I don't want to see Zellous as our #2 SF, just as I didn't want to see Wright in that position.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Something like Zellous-Currie certainly makes sense for New York, but I'm not sure if it's of huge benefit to San Antonio. Zellous is the younger player, who you'd expect to have more left, but after her injury issues in Indiana she's been pretty awful the last two years. It probably ends up depending on character, and who San Antonio think would be of more help in aiding the development of their young core (Jefferson, McBride, and whoever they draft this year - quite possible DeShields). I don't know enough about Zellous or Currie to know if either would be significantly better in that respect.

Potentially more interesting than the 3 - I actually like Rebecca Allen, and think Laimbeer being forced to play her more could be a good thing - is what New York are going to do at the point. With Wright out, and question marks continuing over Boyd, is Hartley the next option? Laimbeer's never looked all that interested in using Prince as a point guard, and she's not even playing it in Europe at the moment (she's basically the 2 next to Anna Cruz's PG for Kursk). Does the Schimmel experiment get another year? It's almost like San Antonio's post situation - let's just bring in a crapload of options and hope one or two of them work out well enough.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is where I wish the Liberty signed Rachel Jarry. Rodgers, Zellous & Prince could of split time at SG with Allen & Jarry splitting time at SF. Prince still starts at PG. Now we're left with a big hole at SF, especially if Allen doesn't work out.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/10/17 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince has actually played a good amount of PG in the last couple of games I've watched. However, it leads to a walk-it-up-the-court and then have someone go one-on-one offense. That won't work in New York. There's also the question of how well Prince can defend against quick PGs. The coaches have a lot to figure out, but my guess is that Prince still gets first crack at the starting job, followed by Boyd. I do believe that Hartley was brought in to be a third option. She's the fall-back plan if Prince is too slow and Boyd can't shoot.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 3:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that we know Wright is not returning, all the other moves make sense. I think starting PG is Piph's job to lose because you want that opportunity to have multiple scorers on the floor. Perhaps on defense Sugar will guard PGs to save Piph from being the first defender on the ball.

But it seems very clear what we have. Rodgers will get a deserved chance to play major minutes. We will have a "big 3" offensively for the first time in the Laimbeer era, which is exciting. We also know Allen was not 100% physically last year, so maybe this year she has more to give.

Extremely different team this year. Definitely better offensively. Defense and rebounding to be determined. This may just be our group. Wright not returning clears the logjam of guards, and it explains the Hartley acquisition.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if this is why Bill was saying lead guard was the position of need during the holiday party... though that would imply the Libs have had some idea of this since December.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to imagine Wright's done. If she were to return in 2018, she'll be 35. She wasn't exactly in her prime last season, so would the Liberty be willing to give her a one year deal in 2018? Would Laimbeer & Co. bring her back similar to what the Liberty did in 2016 with Cash?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 03/11/17 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Piph's last game and she looks fantastic. The mobility is there. Cruz is the primary PG for Kursk but Piph's creativity was on display both scoring and passing from both the 2 and 1 spots. We know a Laimbeer offense doesn't really require a pure PG so I don't really expect it to be an issue on offense. And to me most importantly Piph appears 100% healthy. As long as that continues she'll be fine for the Libs in 2017.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Watching Piph's last game and she looks fantastic. The mobility is there. Cruz is the primary PG for Kursk but Piph's creativity was on display both scoring and passing from both the 2 and 1 spots. We know a Laimbeer offense doesn't really require a pure PG so I don't really expect it to be an issue on offense. And to me most importantly Piph appears 100% healthy. As long as that continues she'll be fine for the Libs in 2017.

I have to think that Prince and Rodgers will be the starting guards and each will play lots of minutes. Worth noting, though, is that Wright still will be missed. If the roster remains as it is, the team will likely need solid minutes off the bench at guard from at least two of the following: Zellous, Boyd, Hartley, and any other guard on the roster. (And if Zellous is playing significant minutes at SF, then Boyd and Hartley become even more important.)

PostPosted: 03/11/17 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel like Z is a nice scoring option off the bench and Hartley gives an outside shooting dimension that Boyd doesn't have. So I'm not really worried from an offensive standpoint.

I do feel, however, that there will be drastic changes in terms of team defense, physicality and rebounding. The defense will likely be at least ok, but it's definitely going to be different. Subtracting Wright, Cash and Swords may not seem like a big deal, but they provided the only physical and/or size advantages that the team had. While the team will be talented offensively, I'm wondering how they're not going to take a hit on the defensive end.

And we haven't even discussed the leadership angle. The only vocal veteran on the team is Zellous and she's in just her second year on the team and is not a facilitator. So who steps in and helps in that role? That's a pretty big deal.

All this said, the Libs have the look of a potent offensive team. One that can finally get 3 or 4 scorers on the floor simultaneously. That's all important and I think they'll be good. But championship caliber is my goal. In my opinion for that to happen one of Zahui B or Kiah will have to significantly improve and they'll have to find more leadership from somewhere.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
I feel like Z is a nice scoring option off the bench and Hartley gives an outside shooting dimension that Boyd doesn't have. So I'm not really worried from an offensive standpoint.

I do feel, however, that there will be drastic changes in terms of team defense, physicality and rebounding. The defense will likely be at least ok, but it's definitely going to be different. Subtracting Wright, Cash and Swords may not seem like a big deal, but they provided the only physical and/or size advantages that the team had. While the team will be talented offensively, I'm wondering how they're not going to take a hit on the defensive end.

And we haven't even discussed the leadership angle. The only vocal veteran on the team is Zellous and she's in just her second year on the team and is not a facilitator. So who steps in and helps in that role? That's a pretty big deal.

All this said, the Libs have the look of a potent offensive team. One that can finally get 3 or 4 scorers on the floor simultaneously. That's all important and I think they'll be good. But championship caliber is my goal. In my opinion for that to happen one of Zahui B or Kiah will have to significantly improve and they'll have to find more leadership from somewhere.

I'd say that Tina Charles will have to become a more vocal leader. Perhaps she has deferred a bit to Wright and Cash. In any case, I believe the leadership will have to come mainly from her.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

I'd say that Tina Charles will have to become a more vocal leader. Perhaps she has deferred a bit to Wright and Cash. In any case, I believe the leadership will have to come mainly from her.

It took Sue Bird a decade to decide she had to be vocal but she did it when the team needed her to. I think this is Tina's year.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

It took Sue Bird a decade to decide she had to be vocal but she did it when the team needed her to. I think this is Tina's year.

That's why I was speculating about Charles perhaps having deferred to Wright and Cash. Barring any roster surprises, I assume players will be looking to Tina Charles more than to any of the other veterans. This year she's not just the star. It's her team now. And surely she has benefited as a leader by being there with Wright and Cash.

PostPosted: 03/12/17 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think being a leader is Tina's 'thing'. Some players are just that way- kinda bossy and noisy - and others are the quieter, do-my-own-thing type. I think she's more of the latter. Someone else will need to take on that role if in fact it is needed.

- Amanda Gorman
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/13/17 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

#1 seem much more likely

Interesting theories. Looking around the league, I would suspect that, if true, Seattle was Wright's preferred destination. She had a long satisfying career out west, and was let go in that "tank year". The current Storm team has 2 major weaknesses: Clark at the 3 (no rebounding; can be overmatched; no effective backup, and no perimeter reserves. A Wright return would be a gift; of course, in line with your speculation, the Seattle roster has zero trade value. Playing this speculation game, with the new playoff format, NY would have much less desire to help a team like Seattle.
I believe that NY will continue to be cursed by their lack of a true pg: Success in regular season possible, but failure in the playoffs.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/13/17 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People keep whining about Clarks lack of rebounding but then say that Mo Curry is the solution at SF for the Liberty.

Clark had 3,7 rebounds per game last season in 27,6 min and Mo Curry (who is taller) had 4,4 rebounds in 25,5 min. Year before that Clark had 3,7 in 23,1 min while Curry had 3,2 rebounds in 21,3 min. But we never hear anything about Curry being a weak rebounder?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
canadaball

PostPosted: 03/13/17 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
People keep whining about Clarks lack of rebounding but then say that Mo Curry is the solution at SF for the Liberty.

Clark had 3,7 rebounds per game last season in 27,6 min and Mo Curry (who is taller) had 4,4 rebounds in 25,5 min. Year before that Clark had 3,7 in 23,1 min while Curry had 3,2 rebounds in 21,3 min. But we never hear anything about Curry being a weak rebounder?

Curry is now a very marginal player. Seattle, with its 3 All Stars, needs a real small forward. Watch Clark play. She is a smart, hard worker, but the girl has no size, and cannot jump. Forget All stars like Maya, and Angel, she makes very routine 3's like Alyssa Thomas and Aerial Powers look great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 24 of 80

Jump to: