RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dawn Staley New USA National Team Coach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/10/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allisha Gray, a junior guard for the Gamecocks, figures Staley’s new job will be a boon on the recruiting trail.

“It’s awesome,” Gray said. “It’s like, ‘Wow, you’re playing for the coach who is going to coach in the Olympics.’ ”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article137886318.html#storylink=cpy

About Tara, Stanford's recruiting pool is so small due to admissions that it may be a unique situation where she may not be equipped to take full advantage of that situation.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
You honestly think that Geno coaching the national team has boosted their recruiting? He was getting great recruits long before he ever coached the national team.

When Geno was appointed head coach of Team USA in 2009 he had only five national championships and was five years removed from the most recent one. Since his appointment he's won six national championships in eight years and is favored to win again this year. He's gotten an enormous advantage from being head coach of Team USA.

Specifically, what actual proof do you have of this statement? Would he have not won all these championships, if he had not been USA's coach?

Would Tuck, Stewart and Moriah not have chosen UConn if he wasn't the USA coach? How about Samuelson, Collier and Williams? Do you know of any recruits who have stated they chose UConn because Geno was the USA coach?

Was Dawn Staley's success at USC driven by being a USA coach? What about Doug Bruno and the other assistant coaches?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
The only recruiting advantage I see this having for SC is that it gives more legitimacy to Dawn as a coach. Sure, she's now won multiple SEC regular season and tournament titles and in line to win more but to be HC of the Women's National Team is a tip of the cap essentially... I can't see any elite recruit picking SC over UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor or Tennessee just because Dawn is the HC of the Olympic team. Sure, it's going to sound nice when Dawn is promoting herself and her program in a recruit's living room.. but that title itself is not going to be what decides it for a recruit.

Very good point. SC is still a growing program and hasn't established its dominance yet with a national championship. This may help, but they'll still need that little thing. As for comparing it with Tara and Stanford, don't. Just don't. Stanford's rigorous admission standards put it almost in the Ivy League category. SC's aren't nearly that tough.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree it looks great on the resume, and it can impress a potential recruit in the same way winning national titles and conference champions can.

But let's say a player is aware of the Olympic coach and has Olympic dreams -- that means she also knows, at age 17, that when she's ready to try out for the Olympic team there will be a different person in charge.

My feeling is that this is just yet another anti-Geno straw man, which does get annoying after a while. I'm in California and my only interactions with Geno have been extremely brief, so I have trouble relating to the well of vitriol the haters can draw on so consistently.

Hey, he's arrogant but he's a great coach, one of the best ever, and if he had never been Olympic coach, his teams would still be really, really good.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Geno is arrogant. I think he's a little brash, but not necessarily arrogant. Those are two different things. I think he is an amazing coach. i don't know how I'd feel about having a daughter play for him; it would depend on her personality, I think. Some kids can take the kind of relentless pushing and his kind of sideline chatter, and what I've heard from little bits of practice video that have leaked out; some require a different style. But assuming my daughter were good enough, wanted to play for him, and felt she could deal with it, sure. He is a great coach.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:
The only recruiting advantage I see this having for SC is that it gives more legitimacy to Dawn as a coach. Sure, she's now won multiple SEC regular season and tournament titles and in line to win more but to be HC of the Women's National Team is a tip of the cap essentially... I can't see any elite recruit picking SC over UConn, Notre Dame, Baylor or Tennessee just because Dawn is the HC of the Olympic team. Sure, it's going to sound nice when Dawn is promoting herself and her program in a recruit's living room.. but that title itself is not going to be what decides it for a recruit.

Very good point. SC is still a growing program and hasn't established its dominance yet with a national championship. This may help, but they'll still need that little thing. As for comparing it with Tara and Stanford, don't. Just don't. Stanford's rigorous admission standards put it almost in the Ivy League category. SC's aren't nearly that tough.

I never even mentioned Stanford or Tara Vandeveer.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/11/17 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

But let's say a player is aware of the Olympic coach and has Olympic dreams -- that means she also knows, at age 17, that when she's ready to try out for the Olympic team there will be a different person in charge.

If the Olympic coach is in charge for eight years, as Geno was, this scenario is realistic and has in fact happened. Breanna Stewart was recruited in high school, played for UConn, made the U.S. senior national team, and played in the Olympics, all while Geno was the coach.

However, having interviewed Stewart extensively when she was a junior and senior in high school, I'm quite sure she was destined for UConn regardless of who was or would be the Olympic coach.
Durantula

PostPosted: 03/11/17 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I agree it looks great on the resume, and it can impress a potential recruit in the same way winning national titles and conference champions can.

My feeling is that this is just yet another anti-Geno straw man, which does get annoying after a while. I'm in California and my only interactions with Geno have been extremely brief, so I have trouble relating to the well of vitriol the haters can draw on so consistently.

Hey, he's arrogant but he's a great coach, one of the best ever, and if he had never been Olympic coach, his teams would still be really, really good.

How is it anti-Geno when the same things are being said about Coach K, Sean Miller, John Calipari, etc. Maybe it truly is that everyone in the coaching business sees this as a recruiting advantage to coach USA basketball? Men or women, Geno or no Geno. You are the one making it about Geno... did you just ignore the article about Coach K?

The same question arose when Shaka Smart coached the U18s http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=16014 is it a coincidence that a struggling Texas program got an official visit from 5 star Mo Bamba when every other school he is considering is good? Does it hurt that Shaka Smart coached him at USA Basketball? How often do 5 stars from NYC even look at Big 12 schools?

To other national columnists like the one at Sports Illustrated, this isn't even a debate, the question isn't even IF it is an advantage, its accepted that it is. http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/09/18/mike-krzyzewski-team-usa-recruiting-duke-blue-devils

Mike Krzyzewski insisted Thursday that, no, coaching Team USA does not give him a recruiting advantage.

This is, of course, ridiculous.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/11/17 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's another one. In 2012 CBS polled around 100 college coaches, the ones who actually recruit these kids, about whether Coach K has an advantage coaching USA Basketball. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19788727/critical-coaches-how-much-is-coach-k-helped-by-team-usa

The question: Has Mike Krzyzewski earned a recruiting advantage because of his association with USA Basketball?

Yes: 71 percent
No: 29 percent

"Every elite-level recruit in America dreams of one day winning an Olympic Gold. Do you know how many days in a row Duke could send out a USA basketball mail without having to use the same picture of Coach K twice? I'd bet they could go a year, easy. He's proved himself as the best coach in the world. He's coached LeBron, Kobe and Durant and got them all to buy in for a common purpose. Come on. Huge advantage. And it's deserved."

"It increases his celebrity. People are saying, 'There's my future coach.' And he's got a network of people. He can get in touch with Kobe and LeBron whenever he wants."

"It's huge because everyone watches the Olympics."

"He can send a text to a kid -- and the kid can watch him coaching the Team USA on TV."

"He's getting a lot of facetime."

"It's huge in recruiting. He has the best players in the world on his side."

"It's a massive advantage. You don't think he's constantly talking to kids and name-dropping LeBron, Kobe and KD? There are kids out there thinking, 'If he's good enough to be their coach, he's good enough to be my coach.' That's tough to counter."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/17 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCGamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
SCGamecock wrote:

I never even mentioned Stanford or Tara Vandeveer.

No, you didn't, someone else did. I was consolidating posts. Don't be so freaking defensive!

PostPosted: 03/11/17 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ay Mate wrote:
You honestly think that Geno coaching the national team has boosted their recruiting? He was getting great recruits long before he ever coached the national team.

When Geno was appointed head coach of Team USA in 2009 he had only five national championships and was five years removed from the most recent one. Since his appointment he's won six national championships in eight years and is favored to win again this year. He's gotten an enormous advantage from being head coach of Team USA.

Specifically, what actual proof do you have of this statement? Would he have not won all these championships, if he had not been USA's coach?

Would Tuck, Stewart and Moriah not have chosen UConn if he wasn't the USA coach? How about Samuelson, Collier and Williams? Do you know of any recruits who have stated they chose UConn because Geno was the USA coach?

Was Dawn Staley's success at USC driven by being a USA coach? What about Doug Bruno and the other assistant coaches?

I'd have to be a mind reader to obtain what you're looking for. The proof is in his results, which were dramatically better while he was coach of Team USA than they had been before he took the job.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

See: the Breanna Stewart example. And I think it goes back even further, but ya, it's REAL.

ClayK wrote:

You may be familiar with the alleged "well", but I haven't seen it HERE, in this thread: it's just a re-hashing of Old-But-Very-True Facts. Relax! Cool

PostPosted: 03/11/17 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In both case both Geno and Coach K, thier's were an established successful program before they took the reins of the Olympic team and thus were able to attract the top players before their tenure started, long before. I do not believe that their tenure as a the USA coach can ever be considered a tipping point for their successful recruitment. It was there already as by the time Geno had, as mentioned, five NC's with and additional two without the benefit of being the USA head coach. Coach resume is just as established as Geno before assuming the top job for USA men's basketball.

I doubt going forward if Dawn will out recruit Muffet, Brenda, Geno
or Tara because of her new position.

PostPosted: 03/11/17 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

. Battlelines have been drawn. Some people believe it has an effect, and some don't, and I believe it does for reason already explained. I would say more but I can't do it without going on a rant against Geno and K.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The bottom line is that it creates a lousy appearance for USA Basketball which should be enough whether the effect is real or imagined. It's something they should avoid for their own good and the good of the game. Especially when it's easy enough to avoid the appearance.

When 71% of men's coaches believe K gets a recruiting advantage from being Olympic coach, then there IS a problem that should be avoided. The perception is a problem whether the recruiting advantage is real or not. And I expect you'd get a similar result on the women's side.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/11/17 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's one reason that I believe that coaches should be on a four-year cycle and not kept on longer like Geno or K were.

It's also why I think coaches should be picked whose accomplishments have earned the slot. Don't just give the slot to someone who has managed one Final Four in her 16-year coaching career, when there are coaches who have done a lot more.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/12/17 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Funny. I thought the title read that Dawn is the new coach..crazy how Geno has been the obsession of so many..

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/12/17 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Back in the olden days, the coach picked an asst coach who went on to become the next coach. This allowed more great coaches to be involved, provided some continuity, and ensured that the new coach had some experience dealing with Olympic procedures. I would favor returning to this system. The US has enough capable and deserving coaches to make it work.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/12/17 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Back in the olden days, the coach picked an asst coach who went on to become the next coach. This allowed more great coaches to be involved, provided some continuity, and ensured that the new coach had some experience dealing with Olympic procedures. I would favor returning to this system. The US has enough capable and deserving coaches to make it work.

I don't think it's the job of a coach to choose his or her succesor. That's far too biased and cliquish. USAB needs to make those choices.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/12/17 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fine, then let the HC submit a list of acceptable AC candidates to USAB, and let them choose. I can't see how USAB is currently doing a great job at avoiding bias and cliquishness (is that a word?) by letting anyone stay on for 2 Olympics in a row.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/13/17 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Fine, then let the HC submit a list of acceptable AC candidates to USAB, and let them choose. I can't see how USAB is currently doing a great job at avoiding bias and cliquishness (is that a word?) by letting anyone stay on for 2 Olympics in a row.

USAB isn't doing a good job. That's kind of the point of this thread.

But letting coaches pick their own successors is a step back, not forward.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/13/17 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't the point to pick the best available coach? Even if we agree that the position affords some degree of advantage in recruiting should avoiding that be the primary factor in choosing a coach? Who is USA supposed to pick? Should it be done by lottery?

There is an assumption that every coach in college and the pros is eager for the job but I'm not so certain. Both Geno and Dawn served as assistants prior to becoming National team head coaches. There are probably a lot of coaches who aren't interested in spending 4 or 8 years serving as an assistant before getting the HC job.

Coaches have always had advantages of all sorts. Schools that can afford to provide luxurious living arrangements for athletes and/or provide more extensive tutorial services have an advantage over schools with limited budgets. Schools that take teams on summer trips and Thanksgiving vacations to the Caribbean or to Hawaii have an advantage. Schools that get on national TV on a regular basis have an advantage. And coaches that hold summer camps on campus have long had a huge edge in recruiting. I don't remember anyone ever complaining that Summit shouldn't have been able to have extensive contact with HS stars at her summer camps. While I don't think this is another anti-Geno thread, it's odd that none of these other obvious advantages some coaches have/had have never been a topic here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: