RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Imagine Becky Hammon as Pelicans coach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/17 9:02 am    ::: Imagine Becky Hammon as Pelicans coach Reply Reply with quote

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2017/3/9/14873190/demarcus-cousins-anthony-davis-alvin-gentry-pelicans-coach-bad-fit-becky-hammon

Quote:
My coaching proposal is to really become cutting edge and have Dell call Becky with the good hair.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article. The author highlights her basketball credentials as a player, which are quite impressive.

He also notes her summer league title and her three years on Pop's staff. And Pop and the Spurs are the epitome of a professional basketball franchise, with sustained team excellence and player development in a system. Her basketball IQ and work ethic are truly excellent.

That being said, she has been an assistant coach in the NBA for three years. This is her first coaching job. Three years as a coach, in total, before becoming a head coach? Not sure if that is right for any NBA head coach, much less the first female head coach (with the additional scrutiny that comes with that).

I think she will make an excellent head coach some day. I just do not think it is right now. I think she needs at least two more years as an assistant head coach.

One thing...
"She received the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award from the Women's Basketball Coaches Association as the best senior player."

Technically, it is for the most outstanding male and female college basketball players no taller than 6'0" (1.83 m) and 5'8" (1.73 m), respectively.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
That being said, she has been an assistant coach in the NBA for three years. This is her first coaching job. Three years as a coach, in total, before becoming a head coach? Not sure if that is right for any NBA head coach, much less the first female head coach (with the additional scrutiny that comes with that).

It's light, but it wouldn't be unprecedented. Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, and Jason Kidd had no coaching experience at all before becoming NBA head coaches. Earl Watson, Nate McMillan, Luke Walton, and Jeff Hornacek had no more coaching experience than Hammon has when they got their shot. And that's just looking at current NBA head coaches. Plenty of past examples as well; some successful, some not.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That guy really hates Gentry. Not sure the Pelicans are a good fit for Becky if they have all the problems this guy thinks they do.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/10/17 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

It's light, but it wouldn't be unprecedented. Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, and Jason Kidd had no coaching experience at all before becoming NBA head coaches. Earl Watson, Nate McMillan, Luke Walton, and Jeff Hornacek had no more coaching experience than Hammon has when they got their shot. And that's just looking at current NBA head coaches. Plenty of past examples as well; some successful, some not.

One thing to consider...Kidd, Watson, McMillan, Walton, and Hornacek were all hired as first-time head coaches for the NBA teams for whom they played during their respective NBA tenures. That is a luxury that Hammon does not have, but she was hired as an assistant for the organization/franchise that owns her WNBA team.

Kerr was a GM for three years and a basketball analyst for several more before becoming a head coach. Not sure what Doc was doing before becoming a head coach.

Another note, which I just realized, is that many of the players you listed were PGs in the WNBA, as Hammon was a PG in the W. The author of the article you linked made that point in her favor, that the floor general's basketball IQ and cerebral knowledge of the game make for an easier transition to being a head coach (per the author; the name you listed above, however, have had mixed results, as you noted).

Given that she will be the first female head coach, with all of the additional attention and scrutiny that comes with that distinction, I think it behooves her to have more experience than those you listed.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/17 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont think that any team that has Cousins on it would be good for a rookie headcoach let alone the first female rookie headcoach..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 03/10/17 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that Hammon needs more seasoning. Coaching men is different from coaching women, and coming from outside she needs more time to get all the nuances.

I will not be shocked if Nancy Lieberman gets an NBA head coaching job before Hammon does.

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I dont think that any team that has Cousins on it would be good for a rookie headcoach let alone the first female rookie headcoach..

Very good point.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
... Kerr was a GM for three years and a basketball analyst for several more before becoming a head coach. Not sure what Doc was doing before becoming a head coach...
Announcing.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

On the contrary, I think that DeMarcus Cousins would be likelier to listen to a woman than ninety-eight percent of the men they could hire for the job. Also, FWIW, the best relationship Cousins ever had with a coach in the NBA was with a then-rookie head coach Mike Malone.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

On the contrary, I think that DeMarcus Cousins would be likelier to listen to a woman than ninety-eight percent of the men they could hire for the job. Also, FWIW, the best relationship Cousins ever had with a coach in the NBA was with a then-rookie head coach Mike Malone.

I doubt that he has respect for anyone

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/10/17 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I will not be shocked if Nancy Lieberman gets an NBA head coaching job before Hammon does.

At least she wouldn't date a player on the team.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/10/17 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hammon would?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 03/10/17 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I doubt that he has respect for anyone

:: shrugs ::

I'm pretty sure that you're wrong, but it's a free country. Cheers.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/11/17 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Hammon would?

Given their respective histories, I assume rAf meant Hammon wouldn't, but the door was open for Lieberman.

(now with spelling variations)
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/11/17 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you want to make sure no woman ever gets another chance to coach a men's pro team, hire Becky Hammon to coach the Pelicans.

Not because I don't think she could coach a men's team, but god himself couldn't coach DeMarcus Cousins so I don't see Coach Hammon pulling off that kind of miracle either.
MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster

PostPosted: 03/12/17 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine Hammon as head coach
It isn't hard to do
Hard to see in the huddle
And lots of gum to chew
Imagine Becky pacing
And benching guys who slack...
You may say it'll never happen
But Becky's heard that song before
I think Hammon will be the first chick
Running the guys out on the floor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: