RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 02/27/17 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not against a trade I'm just becoming more skeptical that there is one out there that will help more than it might possible hurt, and the fact that a lot has already happened makes it seems less possible than it did a few weeks ago. I'm also pretty weary of trading Stokes unless it for someone game changing, and even though I like both Zellous and Wright (the other players I could see being traded) I'm not sure what they bring back will be anything more than a lateral move.

I've gone back and forth in my mind on how significant I think a roster addition will be. When Rodgers signed back with the Libs, my reaction was, ok, she's not likely to be traded. Somehow I remember there being some sort of restriction on when you could trade a re-signed RFA, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. If there are no restrictions on her being traded, then...

I know there are people who would not mind a Piph/Rodgers backcourt. I myself think it would be intriguing. But is that something LFO intends to do? I just don't foresee a lineup with Piph being the initial on-ball defender and there being only one of the 3 perimeter positions where a player really dictates things defensively as well as from some sort of athletic/physical standpoint. It's just not the Laimbeer way.

Yet, at the same time, re-signing Rodgers just to trade her after all the hard work she has put in with Spoon is not a good look either. Not for future free agents who might consider the Libs as a possibility. Sugar has put in the work and demonstrated the character to the point where I think her best days are still in front of her. Based on that, business aside, Sugar fully deserves an opportunity to show her stuff in NY.

So even in the best interests of the team, I'm kind of conflicted. If Rodgers stays, how many minutes will she actually play? From strictly a basketball standpoint you want your best players on the floor for 28-30 minutes a night at least. The only way that happens is if Piph and Sugar share time...something I personally don't think is likely. Yet I think trading her would also not be a good look. And that's not counting that I don't even know if there's a restriction on trading re-signed RFAs.

With Kia's early-season absence, I also don't see any of the post players being dealt.

So...what now? I'm asking from what is legitimate confusion. Tina and Piph are both in their prime and not far from being on the wrong side of it. The time to capitalize on the nucleus is now. I see this as a very pivotal season for the franchise. Thus the importance I'm placing on what transpires this off-season.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hard to say what's hiding under the black sweats, but Schimmel still seems a bit on the puffy side. Only a couple months until camp starts.

This photo makes me realise that it's about time Ugg entered the athletic footwear market.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

I'm not against a trade I'm just becoming more skeptical that there is one out there that will help more than it might possible hurt, and the fact that a lot has already happened makes it seems less possible than it did a few weeks ago. I'm also pretty weary of trading Stokes unless it for someone game changing, and even though I like both Zellous and Wright (the other players I could see being traded) I'm not sure what they bring back will be anything more than a lateral move.

I've gone back and forth in my mind on how significant I think a roster addition will be. When Rodgers signed back with the Libs, my reaction was, ok, she's not likely to be traded. Somehow I remember there being some sort of restriction on when you could trade a re-signed RFA, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. If there are no restrictions on her being traded, then...

I know there are people who would not mind a Piph/Rodgers backcourt. I myself think it would be intriguing. But is that something LFO intends to do? I just don't foresee a lineup with Piph being the initial on-ball defender and there being only one of the 3 perimeter positions where a player really dictates things defensively as well as from some sort of athletic/physical standpoint. It's just not the Laimbeer way.

Yet, at the same time, re-signing Rodgers just to trade her after all the hard work she has put in with Spoon is not a good look either. Not for future free agents who might consider the Libs as a possibility. Sugar has put in the work and demonstrated the character to the point where I think her best days are still in front of her. Based on that, business aside, Sugar fully deserves an opportunity to show her stuff in NY.

So even in the best interests of the team, I'm kind of conflicted. If Rodgers stays, how many minutes will she actually play? From strictly a basketball standpoint you want your best players on the floor for 28-30 minutes a night at least. The only way that happens is if Piph and Sugar share time...something I personally don't think is likely. Yet I think trading her would also not be a good look. And that's not counting that I don't even know if there's a restriction on trading re-signed RFAs.

With Kia's early-season absence, I also don't see any of the post players being dealt.

So...what now? I'm asking from what is legitimate confusion. Tina and Piph are both in their prime and not far from being on the wrong side of it. The time to capitalize on the nucleus is now. I see this as a very pivotal season for the franchise. Thus the importance I'm placing on what transpires this off-season.

It's reasonable to be confused or uncertain. You are not alone. Here's my guess, just a guess.

Looks to me like Bill Laimbeer's approach to the offseason has been to stockpile as many talented players as he can, see if various trades are possible (he has made one), and plan to figure it all out in training camp and the first half of the season. He may have a list of questions--for example, "Can it work to play Prince and Rodgers together in the backcourt for 25-30 minutes?"--for which he's not sure of the answer. Just as we aren't.

I keep coming back to the fact that there are a significant number of talented younger players on the roster. They won't ALL improve in 2017 as we might hope. But if two or three of them improve significantly, it'll be a very different team than in 2016.

We're fans. We want answers now. But Bill Laimbeer may have made peace with the fact that important questions may not be answered till at least midseason.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's all reasonable. And even if there's something behind the scenes in principle involving the 2018 first-rounder, a trade involving 2018 draft choices can't be made until the 2017 draft. So I'd say the absolute earliest we will know something more is in mid-April.

Just gotta be patient. A trait that I do not possess in abundance at this time of the year.

PostPosted: 02/27/17 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm also at a loss, and I'm very torn, I almost fear a trade as much as I think one would be exciting.

Also, I'm not sure if it is in her DNA as a player, but I wonder if they might consider bring Prince off the bench? In the R. Williams J. Crawford on the Clippers kind of role. Stokes was able to get starter minute of the bench last season so even if Prince is coming off the bench she could still get 22-27 minutes a night. This could work on a lot of levels, one if they start Wright at PG they might feel more comfortable starting Allen instead of Zellous, who I think for a number of reasons mostly handle becomes the default starter at the SF with a Prince/Rodgers back-court, because then you basically have 3 players on the perimeter who can handle the PG spot by committee if you aren't completely confident in Prince in that role full-time. Also Prince can become the #1 option on offense when you rest Charles.

So maybe

Wright/Boyd
Rodgers/Prince
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

Burdick and Raicock-Ekunwe can fight it out for the tweener 3/4 spot in camp and maybe even in a few actual games until Vaughn reports.

And Hartley, Scimmel, Barbee and Alston can fight for the 12th spot, with #14 joining one of the scrums post or perimeter depending on position.

I still think Hartley/Burdick will have a slight edge.

So while that isn't game changing I can get behind this team and still look to youth improvement and health as a way to take a step forward. I'm still struggling to see that realistic better option, but I guess we'll see eventually no matter which route we go.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/27/17 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

So maybe

Wright/Boyd
Rodgers/Prince
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

It just doesn't look like a championship lineup to me. More like middle of the pack. You have Bill coaching which probably makes it a little better than that, but this is not a good year to be so-so. Good enough to miss out on the best 2018 draft picks but not good enough to really contend.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/27/17 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

So maybe

Wright/Boyd
Rodgers/Prince
Allen/Zellous
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

It just doesn't look like a championship lineup to me. More like middle of the pack. You have Bill coaching which probably makes it a little better than that, but this is not a good year to be so-so. Good enough to miss out on the best 2018 draft picks but not good enough to really contend.

Yeah that is the problem that has me spinning my wheels.

Indy pulled it off with one star and some other nice pieces, but all other recent champs are basically all-star teams with some role player.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/03/17 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good, in-depth interview with Bec Allen from the "At Liberty 2 Speak" series:
https://soundcloud.com/user-988747909/rebecca-allen-on-at-liberty-2-speak

She sounds very positive about her form, her health, and the Libs Smile

PostPosted: 03/03/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

If you match another team's offer sheet you have to keep them...cant then trade them...if they sign on their own accord fair game (example: Alex Montgomery) that's they way I interpited it given the Montgomery trade

PostPosted: 03/04/17 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Good, in-depth interview with Bec Allen from the "At Liberty 2 Speak" series:
https://soundcloud.com/user-988747909/rebecca-allen-on-at-liberty-2-speak

She sounds very positive about her form, her health, and the Libs Smile

Allen suggests that she wasn't 100% last season -- playing with pain and without her normal athleticism. Still, Bec performed well and she was one of the few Liberty able to run with Boyd. Now, Allen is healthy and it sounds like she will arrive in time for all of training camp. Nice that she cited working with T-Spoon as a highlight of playing for the team. One thing I can say about Bec is that I've seen a definite improvement in her game. So, there are lots of positive signs where she is concerned.

PostPosted: 03/04/17 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless another move/trade is made, I still wouldn't be surprised if come May 13 that Allen is our starting SF.

PG: Prince/Boyd/Hartley
SG: Rodgers/Wright
SF: Allen/Zellous
PF: Charles/Zahui B.
C: Vaughn/Stokes
12th: Burdick, Raincock-Ekunwe, Barbee or #14 pick.*

*If two of these players look better than Hartley, it's possible we keep a guard & a post and Hartley gets waived.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 03/04/17 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that's probably the roster we'll see if they can't pull-off a deal, but it sure looks awkward and likely to cause discontent. Maybe it's okay on paper, but in terms of dollars and minutes, it makes no sense to have Rodgers, Prince, Zellous, and Wright on the same roster. They are all likely earning max-salaries, and all are best at 2-guard. Even if you argue that Prince and Wright are adequate PGs, you'd still end up with two of these players as backups. That's two max-salary backup guards. Then, do we assume Boyd plays zero minutes? You could push Wright or Zellous up to SF, but both are subpar at that position. So, you'd be paying max-money for below average performance. I don't think Zellous played very much SF for the Liberty last year -- probably only the first 3 games when Cash was gone, and then again in the Phoenix playoff when Laimbeer decided not to use Allen. During those first three games of the season, and the next two after Cash returned, Wright was the starting SF -- not Zellous. Shavonte played a lot of SF for Indiana because they liked using that small line-up with Catchings at the 4. The goal was to force a mismatch with smaller players isolated on big slow defenders, and then go one-on-one. It worked for the Fever, but New York doesn't play that way... unless Bill wants to change.

PostPosted: 03/05/17 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two things on that. I agree first off. There's going to be a move in my mind, probably a significant one to create a more balanced roster. I think we will have to wait till April to see it but it'll happen.

And Catchings enabled Indiana to function as an undersized group because she could do so many things so well, including will her team to victory and handle and pass like a guard while playing the four spot. As good as Tina is, she doesn't have the extent of versatility Catchings did. I'd put the likelihood at zero that the Liberty do small ball this year...or any year Laimbeer is the coach.

PostPosted: 03/05/17 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

And Catchings enabled Indiana to function as an undersized group because she could do so many things so well, including will her team to victory and handle and pass like a guard while playing the four spot. As good as Tina is, she doesn't have the extent of versatility Catchings did. I'd put the likelihood at zero that the Liberty do small ball this year...or any year Laimbeer is the coach.

That's smart.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRcMxW-FQtC/?taken-by=wnbahoopz

Quote:
Tanisha Wright is sitting out the 2017 season to let her body heal and recover from injuries.

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was waiting for some info on Wright and I'm a little bummed. The core thing always seemed a little weird to me. I'm wondering if there is more to the story, but at least we know where things stand for 2017.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK Shoni Schimmel the door just got opened for you. If you want it, come in and prove it and grab that 12th spot. I'm rooting for you 100% (no offense to Alston, Barbee or the #14 pick).

toad455

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

no Wright doesn't make Schimmel a lock. There's still Barbee & the #14 pick to compete with. I'd say this makes Prince our starting PG and either Allen or Zellous the starting SF.

PG: Prince/Boyd/Hartley
SG: Rodgers/Zellous
SF: Allen/Barbee or Burdick
PF: Charles/Zahui B.
C: Vaughn/Stokes
12th: Raincock-Ekunwe, #14 pick or Schimmel

toad455

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it hasn't been posted where the Liberty's "home" preseason game will be held. MSG is available in May 7, so I wonder if it'll be there or somewhere else.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/09/17 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would do something like this

Prince/Boyd/Hartley
Rodgers/Zellous/Schimmel
Allen/Burdick or Raincock-Ekunwe
Charles/Zahui B
Stokes/Vaughn

Go small by shifting Zellous to the 3 and Burdick or R-E to the 4 in some line ups.

well until a trade happens we'll have a battle between Schimmel, Alston and Barbee for one spot.

And Burdick and Raincock-Ekunwe for the other.

Ad #14 Epps, A. Prince, S Copper, McCall or other could steal someone's job right out from under them.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/09/17 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, posted here first: www.facebook.com/wnbafanspage/

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

Oh gawd, not that place ... that's the page that copies Barcoff's news but sneakily posts it up hours/days before him just to try and be up to date. Also how can we take that page seriously when they're not close personal friends with 90% or even 85% of the league's players?? Please. And what kind of loser actually pays money to get in to games? Don't they realise that their money ends up with the team and the league? lol ... sad ...

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:

Oh gawd, not that place ... that's the page that copies Barcoff's news but sneakily posts it up hours/days before him just to try and be up to date. Also how can we take that page seriously when they're not close personal friends with 90% or even 85% of the league's players?? Please. And what kind of loser actually pays money to get in to games? Don't they realise that their money ends up with the team and the league? lol ... sad ...

No selfies, either. What's a site without selfies?

Nerd2

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Amanda Zahui B will have a breakout year. Both Shoni and Ameryst Alston really have a shot at making the squad now. I hope Bec Allen can make her mark as well. I just feel that the Liberty knew some of this was coming and have more of a plan than we fans can see right now.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Major loss of veteran leadership with both Cash and Wright gone.

Opens the way for more playing time for Zellous, Hartley, and especially Boyd, depending on who plays best.

Narrows trade options a bit, less depth on the roster.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 23 of 80

Jump to: