RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whom would you choose to be the next WBB Olympic coach?
Geno Auriemma
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
Dawn Staley
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Doug Bruno
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Cheryl Reeve
32%
 32%  [ 18 ]
Brian Agler
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Kim Mulkey
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Someone else (who?)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 12:05 pm    ::: Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach? Reply Reply with quote

The question is whom you would choose to be the next WBB Senior National Team and Olympic coach, not who you think will be chosen.
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11827



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Suzie McConnell-Serio


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8464



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Suzie McConnell-Serio


It will be hard for me to get past her trading Katie Smith for what turned out to be Chandi Jones. The word is she just didn't along with Smith and said "It's me or her." (If that's not true, someone please speak up ...)

If it is true, we don't need more CP3-type drama on the national team.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I ran this poll twice nearly 4 months ago (poll still might be active if you haven't voted yet).

Once with no WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88382

Once with WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88384



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I ran this poll twice nearly 4 months ago (poll still might be active if you haven't voted yet).

Once with no WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88382

Once with WNBA coaches considered:
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=88384


Yes, but this is a post-Olympics poll, which can test whether the outcome and accompanying controversies have changed voters' minds.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The April poll was post-controversy, and was the outcome of the games ever in doubt?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Genos if he wants it so get over it now homers. If he chooses to decline, I like Reeves and Agler.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11827



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:


If it is true, we don't need more CP3-type drama on the national team.


There's 4 votes for Geno, so obviously some people aren't concerned about CP3 drama.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What drama did I miss something Laughing


bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3133



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Reeves is the coach in 2020 would folks be upset if she has her 4 players on the team as well as Tina and Stewart and Diana (if she goes again). The cry this year was it was a UConn team(5 players) would they still think it is a UConn team with 4 UConn players. Or would it be ok as long as Geno wasn't the coach.


I will be so glad when the season starts again!




Last edited by bballgrl on 08/22/16 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14620



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
If Reeves is the coach in 2020 would folks be upset if she has her 4 players on the team as well as Tina and Stewart and Diana (if she goes again). The cry this year was it was a UConn team(5 players) would they still think it is a UConn team with 4 UConn players. Or would it be ok as long as Geno wasn't the coach.


In 2020, Whalen & Augustus will be retired. So unless Howard & Montgomery are on the team(w/Moore & Fowles), there's no need to cried about this now.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55031
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
bballgrl wrote:
If Reeves is the coach in 2020 would folks be upset if she has her 4 players on the team as well as Tina and Stewart and Diana (if she goes again). The cry this year was it was a UConn team(5 players) would they still think it is a UConn team with 4 UConn players. Or would it be ok as long as Geno wasn't the coach.


In 2020, Whalen & Augustus will be retired. So unless Howard & Montgomery are on the team(w/Moore & Fowles), there's no need to cried about this now.


Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.



_________________
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20714



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 14620



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/22/16 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...


I doubt she's still playing come 2018. Too many injuries lately. Out of their 4 veterans, Augustus & Brunson will likely be the first to retire. Then Whalen(2019?), then Fowles.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...


What was wrong with Augustus's play? She played more the role of facilitator than scorer. She had 26 assists (same as Taurasi). She had only 11 turnovers (5 less than Taurasi). I was actually proud of Seimone (can you relate, SpaceJunkie?) It seems she's learned to be a true team player. There's only so many shots to go around, and she made 56% of the ones she took.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14479
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...


What was wrong with Augustus's play? She played more the role of facilitator than scorer. She had 26 assists (same as Taurasi). She had only 11 turnovers (5 less than Taurasi). I was actually proud of Seimone (can you relate, SpaceJunkie?) It seems she's learned to be a true team player. There's only so many shots to go around, and she made 56% of the ones she took.


I think Myrtle means her play(averaging 11 pts per game) in the wnba so far this season. She was 1 of my choices to be left of the team for a younger player (Loyd for example)



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 10015
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:08 pm    ::: Re: Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach? Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The question is whom you would choose to be the next WBB Senior National Team and Olympic coach, not who you think will be chosen.


I chose Cheryl Reeve.

My second choice would've been Doug Bruno, although he's a college coach. But Doug has been an assistant for Team USA for a while now, and I would not mind if he finally gets the nod to become the Head Coach in 2020.

Even shortly after the 2012 Olympics Games, I actually didn't even want Geno for this year's squad. And as I recall, Geno originally didn't want to coach again. But I guess the players --- and especially Taurasi and Sue Bird --- convinced him to change his mind. That said, I am so used to a regular rotation of coaches for each Olympic cycle.



_________________
"My mechanic told me, 'I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder'." - comedian Steven Wright
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20714



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

Augustus will probably still be playing in 2020, but possibly not at a level to make Team USA.

She really hasn't been playing at that level this year either...


What was wrong with Augustus's play? She played more the role of facilitator than scorer. She had 26 assists (same as Taurasi). She had only 11 turnovers (5 less than Taurasi). I was actually proud of Seimone (can you relate, SpaceJunkie?) It seems she's learned to be a true team player. There's only so many shots to go around, and she made 56% of the ones she took.


I think Myrtle means her play(averaging 11 pts per game) in the wnba so far this season. She was 1 of my choices to be left of the team for a younger player (Loyd for example)


exactly what I meant. She did fine at the Olys but I didn't think she was playing at a level in the W to justify her pick, especially since we were lacking youngsters. Another young guard could have gotten experience instead of her (and personally I love Mone's game and her sweet jumper and have regularly tried to get her on my fantasy team, so this is not a player hate thing). If they had waited to name the team, IMO she wouldn't have been on it. And I hope they learned a lesson and will wait longer to name the next team so they can see injuries and how players are actually playing. There would be much less backlash that way, though I guess there will always be players on the cusp.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 10701
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This pool is almost as deep as the players' pool. There are some excellent coaches out there.

Cheryl R. isn't a *bad* choice, but she's done her time. Move along. I'd prefer Laimbeer or Thibault over her. From the college ranks, there's coaches who have USA coaching experience like Muff McGraw, Kim Mulkey or Sherri Coale. Though I'd prefer to see gals at the helm, Giorgis or Smesko are only a couple of many men who have the brains for it.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners!

<--Maddie Manning, Sooner Extraordinaire
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15195
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted Bruno, though my head says he might be too old by then.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55031
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/23/16 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I voted Bruno, though my head says he might be too old by then.


He's four years older than Geno



_________________
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
boogiezen



Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Posts: 932



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GENO all the way!!!! Cool



_________________
GO BIRDY! GO STORM! Queen Yu Na!

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 20714



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they will be PC and chose a woman.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would that be PC in our current climate Wink


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 4018
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
they will be PC and chose a woman.


There's no "they" in this poll topic. Only "YOU".

So far, YOU all have given a lot more support to Geno, relative to Reeve and Staley for example, than in the pre-Olympics polls.
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or just the rational basketball fans Glenn who don't whine and moan over jealous agendas Cool


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7346



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Staley and her experience as player and coach. I wouldn't mind if Geno got it again. If Reeve got it though I would think she'd have to take a break from the Lynx in order to do it. I suspect there was a lot of work being done by the coaching staff while the WNBA season was going on.


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 506



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is definitely interesting that they've announced Pop as the next men's coach, but the women's coach remains a mystery.

I appreciate Geno continuing USAB's success and no disrespect but I do think it's time for him to move on. I definitely wouldn't be mad to get Reeve, Staley, Mulkey, Muffet...there are a number of great coaches out there. I think it would be easier for a college coach to do it because it doesn't interrupt their season. If I remember correctly, Ann Donovan was the last WNBA coach to do it but she resigned from her team to lead Team USA to gold.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 17770



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Geno.
There's isn't going to be drama on the court regardless* of who the coach is, so my best chance for Team USA drama is right here if Geno gets another 4 years Twisted Evil




* I'm assuming that Brendan Joyce isn't a realistic candidate



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's prob no announcement as they are waiting to hear if Geno can go again. Without a doubt thats the best scenario having watched the team play and considering all the drama, he got those women to play great, it doesn't phase him which is probably why he has 11 NCs.

Staley is no where near good enough or a strong enough personality. Just as with the Pop hire, they have gone with an even stronger coach to get the men in line, Pop like Geno takes no crap. So they would need a strong coach and personality who is about the team and not about being liked by players etc.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7346



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
There's prob no announcement as they are waiting to hear if Geno can go again. Without a doubt thats the best scenario having watched the team play and considering all the drama, he got those women to play great, it doesn't phase him which is probably why he has 11 NCs.

Staley is no where near good enough or a strong enough personality. Just as with the Pop hire, they have gone with an even stronger coach to get the men in line, Pop like Geno takes no crap. So they would need a strong coach and personality who is about the team and not about being liked by players etc.


I disagree with this for the simple reason that the women generally don't need an ego check. They weed that out during the team selection process. Also, Staley being an Olympian herself commands a great deal of respect from those players. Staley has managed to build a powerhouse SEC program and she's already on the inside for USA BB. I agree with the idea that they are really waiting for Geno's decision which is why we've heard nothing.


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 333



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm powerhouse? She has underachieved. She has shown a lack of offensive prowess even she herself admitted that. Did you watch her lack of involvement, interaction at the Olympics? There is a difference between having someone around for whatever reason than actually commanding the respect and attention of great players. She has shown that she is unable to do that with her own players let alone the best in the world. When your own player talks back to you at try outs, it kinda shows a lack of respect!

Reeve aside from Doug and GENO showed how involved she was and that she could give input to those other 2 coaches and players and was mutually respected.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11827



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse?.


Agree. One final four appearance and a couple SEC titles in a down SEC isn't a "powerhouse". Her teams' offensive execution remains suspect, and her on court decorum ( or lack thereof) is embarrassing.

It's unfortunate that she'll likely get it for no good reason other than she's next in line because of her previous USAB assignments.

I don't see anyone suggesting Quentin Hillsman but he has as many FFs, has a title game appearance (which Staley lacks), beat Staley's much higher ranked team on his way to the FF last year, and probably accomplished all that with a far less talented or regarded roster than SCar has had. If "powerhouse" is the standard and Staley's record qualifies, then Hillsman is even more qualified.

Oh, and the reality is that they shouldn't be "weeding out" ( strange way to put it) the best players just because the coach's huge ego clashes with the players'. Managing egos is part of the job.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put Hillsman on the April poll, so I think that would qualify as a suggestion. But he got zero votes. That means he didn't get yours either.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7346



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse? She has underachieved. She has shown a lack of offensive prowess even she herself admitted that. Did you watch her lack of involvement, interaction at the Olympics? There is a difference between having someone around for whatever reason than actually commanding the respect and attention of great players. She has shown that she is unable to do that with her own players let alone the best in the world. When your own player talks back to you at try outs, it kinda shows a lack of respect!

Reeve aside from Doug and GENO showed how involved she was and that she could give input to those other 2 coaches and players and was mutually respected.


Hmm, I talked to her at the Olympics so I'm gonna go with my view. Lack of involvement? Seriously?


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 11827



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I put Hillsman on the April poll, so I think that would qualify as a suggestion. But he got zero votes. That means he didn't get yours either.


I didn't say I'd choose him. I was just questioning the characterization of Staley by using him as a point of comparison.

I suggested Stephanie White in April, and Suzie McConnell-Serio in this thread.

I'm still good with those choices.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7346



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse?.


Agree. One final four appearance and a couple SEC titles in a down SEC isn't a "powerhouse". Her teams' offensive execution remains suspect, and her on court decorum ( or lack thereof) is embarrassing.

It's unfortunate that she'll likely get it for no good reason other than she's next in line because of her previous USAB assignments.

I don't see anyone suggesting Quentin Hillsman but he has as many FFs, has a title game appearance (which Staley lacks), beat Staley's much higher ranked team on his way to the FF last year, and probably accomplished all that with a far less talented or regarded roster than SCar has had. If "powerhouse" is the standard and Staley's record qualifies, then Hillsman is even more qualified.

Oh, and the reality is that they shouldn't be "weeding out" ( strange way to put it) the best players just because the coach's huge ego clashes with the players'. Managing egos is part of the job.


Why do you people all assume that it was only the coach who had friction with the players? The weeding out process is to see what players are not willing to play within the team concept that USA BB wants.

Hillsman? One-shot wonder.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve was probably more engaged because 1/3 of Team USA are on her WNBA team, a big reason why she's on the staff. I don't think that means Staley doesn't contribute anything. Not sure why anyone would imply that based on very little.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1250



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also like Steph White.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44546



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I also like Steph White.


Well, I'm not sure how much of it is her fault, but she's been a disappointment with the Fever this year. At the least you could say that she struggles when her plate is too full. A Team USA coach usually has an overly full plate. I like other options at this time.

I'm betting if I re-ran THIS poll, White would get less votes and Geno would get more than they did back in April.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7976
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Doug Feinberg‏ @DougFeinberg
Sources: @dawnstaley to be next @usabasketball Olympics coach.




Quote:
Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV
USA Basketball to announce WBB national team coach for 2017-20 Friday at South Carolina's football stadium. So you can guess who it is. Smile


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 55031
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You would think they'd want a coach who had a national championship, or at least had made multiple Final Fours...

Staley will be Team USA's first African American head coach



_________________
I'm goin' way down South
Way down where I can be free
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin