RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Who should be the 2020 Olympic WBB coach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whom would you choose to be the next WBB Olympic coach?
Geno Auriemma
30%
 30%  [ 17 ]
Dawn Staley
17%
 17%  [ 10 ]
Doug Bruno
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Cheryl Reeve
32%
 32%  [ 18 ]
Brian Agler
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Kim Mulkey
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Someone else (who?)
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 56

Author Message
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/16 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or just the rational basketball fans Glenn who don't whine and moan over jealous agendas Cool


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Staley and her experience as player and coach. I wouldn't mind if Geno got it again. If Reeve got it though I would think she'd have to take a break from the Lynx in order to do it. I suspect there was a lot of work being done by the coaching staff while the WNBA season was going on.


WfanFrJmp



Joined: 24 May 2016
Posts: 740



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is definitely interesting that they've announced Pop as the next men's coach, but the women's coach remains a mystery.

I appreciate Geno continuing USAB's success and no disrespect but I do think it's time for him to move on. I definitely wouldn't be mad to get Reeve, Staley, Mulkey, Muffet...there are a number of great coaches out there. I think it would be easier for a college coach to do it because it doesn't interrupt their season. If I remember correctly, Ann Donovan was the last WNBA coach to do it but she resigned from her team to lead Team USA to gold.


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18799



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 4:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted for Geno.
There's isn't going to be drama on the court regardless* of who the coach is, so my best chance for Team USA drama is right here if Geno gets another 4 years Twisted Evil




* I'm assuming that Brendan Joyce isn't a realistic candidate



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's prob no announcement as they are waiting to hear if Geno can go again. Without a doubt thats the best scenario having watched the team play and considering all the drama, he got those women to play great, it doesn't phase him which is probably why he has 11 NCs.

Staley is no where near good enough or a strong enough personality. Just as with the Pop hire, they have gone with an even stronger coach to get the men in line, Pop like Geno takes no crap. So they would need a strong coach and personality who is about the team and not about being liked by players etc.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
There's prob no announcement as they are waiting to hear if Geno can go again. Without a doubt thats the best scenario having watched the team play and considering all the drama, he got those women to play great, it doesn't phase him which is probably why he has 11 NCs.

Staley is no where near good enough or a strong enough personality. Just as with the Pop hire, they have gone with an even stronger coach to get the men in line, Pop like Geno takes no crap. So they would need a strong coach and personality who is about the team and not about being liked by players etc.


I disagree with this for the simple reason that the women generally don't need an ego check. They weed that out during the team selection process. Also, Staley being an Olympian herself commands a great deal of respect from those players. Staley has managed to build a powerhouse SEC program and she's already on the inside for USA BB. I agree with the idea that they are really waiting for Geno's decision which is why we've heard nothing.


bballjunkie



Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 617



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm powerhouse? She has underachieved. She has shown a lack of offensive prowess even she herself admitted that. Did you watch her lack of involvement, interaction at the Olympics? There is a difference between having someone around for whatever reason than actually commanding the respect and attention of great players. She has shown that she is unable to do that with her own players let alone the best in the world. When your own player talks back to you at try outs, it kinda shows a lack of respect!

Reeve aside from Doug and GENO showed how involved she was and that she could give input to those other 2 coaches and players and was mutually respected.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12767



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse?.


Agree. One final four appearance and a couple SEC titles in a down SEC isn't a "powerhouse". Her teams' offensive execution remains suspect, and her on court decorum ( or lack thereof) is embarrassing.

It's unfortunate that she'll likely get it for no good reason other than she's next in line because of her previous USAB assignments.

I don't see anyone suggesting Quentin Hillsman but he has as many FFs, has a title game appearance (which Staley lacks), beat Staley's much higher ranked team on his way to the FF last year, and probably accomplished all that with a far less talented or regarded roster than SCar has had. If "powerhouse" is the standard and Staley's record qualifies, then Hillsman is even more qualified.

Oh, and the reality is that they shouldn't be "weeding out" ( strange way to put it) the best players just because the coach's huge ego clashes with the players'. Managing egos is part of the job.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49419



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I put Hillsman on the April poll, so I think that would qualify as a suggestion. But he got zero votes. That means he didn't get yours either.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse? She has underachieved. She has shown a lack of offensive prowess even she herself admitted that. Did you watch her lack of involvement, interaction at the Olympics? There is a difference between having someone around for whatever reason than actually commanding the respect and attention of great players. She has shown that she is unable to do that with her own players let alone the best in the world. When your own player talks back to you at try outs, it kinda shows a lack of respect!

Reeve aside from Doug and GENO showed how involved she was and that she could give input to those other 2 coaches and players and was mutually respected.


Hmm, I talked to her at the Olympics so I'm gonna go with my view. Lack of involvement? Seriously?


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12767



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I put Hillsman on the April poll, so I think that would qualify as a suggestion. But he got zero votes. That means he didn't get yours either.


I didn't say I'd choose him. I was just questioning the characterization of Staley by using him as a point of comparison.

I suggested Stephanie White in April, and Suzie McConnell-Serio in this thread.

I'm still good with those choices.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7659



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Hmm powerhouse?.


Agree. One final four appearance and a couple SEC titles in a down SEC isn't a "powerhouse". Her teams' offensive execution remains suspect, and her on court decorum ( or lack thereof) is embarrassing.

It's unfortunate that she'll likely get it for no good reason other than she's next in line because of her previous USAB assignments.

I don't see anyone suggesting Quentin Hillsman but he has as many FFs, has a title game appearance (which Staley lacks), beat Staley's much higher ranked team on his way to the FF last year, and probably accomplished all that with a far less talented or regarded roster than SCar has had. If "powerhouse" is the standard and Staley's record qualifies, then Hillsman is even more qualified.

Oh, and the reality is that they shouldn't be "weeding out" ( strange way to put it) the best players just because the coach's huge ego clashes with the players'. Managing egos is part of the job.


Why do you people all assume that it was only the coach who had friction with the players? The weeding out process is to see what players are not willing to play within the team concept that USA BB wants.

Hillsman? One-shot wonder.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49419



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve was probably more engaged because 1/3 of Team USA are on her WNBA team, a big reason why she's on the staff. I don't think that means Staley doesn't contribute anything. Not sure why anyone would imply that based on very little.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2110



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also like Steph White.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49419



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/29/16 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I also like Steph White.


Well, I'm not sure how much of it is her fault, but she's been a disappointment with the Fever this year. At the least you could say that she struggles when her plate is too full. A Team USA coach usually has an overly full plate. I like other options at this time.

I'm betting if I re-ran THIS poll, White would get less votes and Geno would get more than they did back in April.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 8366
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/17 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Doug Feinberg‏ @DougFeinberg
Sources: @dawnstaley to be next @usabasketball Olympics coach.




Quote:
Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV
USA Basketball to announce WBB national team coach for 2017-20 Friday at South Carolina's football stadium. So you can guess who it is. Smile


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57524
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/09/17 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You would think they'd want a coach who had a national championship, or at least had made multiple Final Fours...

Staley will be Team USA's first African American head coach



_________________
Don't take no rhythm,
Don't take no style
Gotta thirst for killin',
Grab your vial
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin