Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/08/17 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

soyouthink wrote:
I thought Whitcomb might need to show she can run minutes at point guard to have a chance of making the roster/being a rotation player.

Sami is good in the pick n roll which suits the flow offense.

Yep, I agree. That's the position other than SG that she can potentially provide some value. I could definitely see her alongside Loyd while Sue is on the bench. She can run a good pick and roll down here. Will be interesting to see how well she copes with bigger and quicker defenders (not just on her, but also on her passing targets) in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 03/28/17 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Overseas Report: March 28

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-overseas-report-march-28/

Quote:
Ramu Tokashiki, Seattle Storm

Tokashiki is the face of women’s basketball in Japan, and earlier this month she completed another dominant season in her home country. With Tokashiki leading the way, JX-Eneos Sunflowers went undefeated throughout the regular season and tournament play, capturing trophies for the league title and the All-Japan championship. Tokashiki’s numbers dipped a bit from the previous two years when she led the league in scoring, but she still led the league in field goal percentage (61.5) and blocks (2.3 per game). That helped her earn a third consecutive MVP award.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Japan ace Tokashiki ready for Australia to raise the level

http://www.fiba.com/news/japan-ace-tokashiki-ready-for-australia-to-raise-the-level

Quote:
"I think having Australia will raise the level of Asia as a whole and we like the challenge of the number one team in Oceania competing against the number one team in Asia. It will be a pleasure to be able to compete with teams such as Australia, a nation that we could have only competed against previously in major global competitions.

"Having world class teams playing in Asia will also be uplifting for us in our continuing challenge to win a medal at the Olympic Games."

Quote:
"I look forward to the chance of possibly playing with them and I also hope that there will be more Japanese WNBA players in the future, just like Australia have. I believe that this would increase the level of our respective national teams by playing in the WNBA. For example, I was able to adapt to the height of the China national team and there was not as much fear as before."

Quote:
"I believe it's my destiny to perform and show the level of a WNBA player in continuing to win titles in and with Japan. I do not want to back down from the challenges from any other players that want to beat me. By building up the winning feeling with my team-mates of JX-ENEOS, it can also lead to the team's players being successful with the national team.

"I also want to continue working hard to become a key player with Seattle and lead the team to the WNBA Play-Offs - as well as trying to be one of the best five players in the world," concluded Tokashiki.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/13/17 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It doesn't seem like Wright or Bishop will be back with the Storm as they're not re-signed. Thoughts on who else they might bring in? Storm currently look like:

PG: Bird/O'Neill
SG: Loyd/Mosqueda-Lewis/Quinn
SF: Clark/O'Hea/Whitcomb
PF: Stewart/Tokashiki
C: Langhorne/Swords

I think O'neil just lost her job to Peterson

craigmont

PostPosted: 04/14/17 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see Montgomery make the team.

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/14/17 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
I'd love to see Montgomery make the team.

Absolute steal in the 3rd round

toad455

PostPosted: 04/14/17 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trade: Langhorne for Dolson or Coates?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With training camp opening in a week, Ramu Tokashiki is already in Seattle getting her time zone reset. Alysha Clark is tweeting about some personal skills development. Breanna Stewart's in Aruba. Sue Bird, Jenna O'Hea and Noelle Quinn didn't go overseas and Sami Whitcomb, Carolyn Swords, Jewell Loyd and Crystal Langhorne are already done with their seasons. Only Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Nikki Greene are still playing and both would likely report to camp late.

They have 15 players on their roster (17 on the WNBA page but Monica Wright and Abby Bishop are not returning). The biggest issue they face is that many of the players have not played for months and it will take a little time to regain their touch.

3 people will be cut from this:

PG: Sue Bird/Noelle Quinn/Alexis Peterson/Jennifer O'Neill
SG: Jewell Loyd/Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis/Sami Whitcomb
SF: Alysha Clark/Jenna O'Hea
PF: Breanna Stewart/Ramu Tokashiki
C: Crystal Langhorne/Carolyn Swords/Nikki Greene/Lanay Montgomery

Likely one cut would be a center and one would be a PG. I'm betting they keep one of Greene/Montgomery so the last two cuts come down to Quinn, O'Neill, Mosqueda-Lewis and Whitcomb. Quite the interesting set of options.

Last edited by Nerd2 on 04/15/17 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their 3 cuts should b O'Neill, Greene & Montgomery. I'd prefer it if they dumped Quinn & kept Montgomery.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/15/17 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Their 3 cuts should b O'Neill, Greene & Montgomery. I'd prefer it if they dumped Quinn & kept Montgomery.

Yeah, I edited the post to say I expected them to keep 3 centers if they look like they can be developed. I don't expect O'Neill to stick and Quinn's future depends on whether Peterson picks things up relatively quickly and whether they think the other SGs can cover so they can slide Jewell to PG. That's why O'Hea and Clark are so useful - versatility and veteran savvy when you pair them with younger players.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/15/17 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Yeah, I edited the post to say I expected them to keep 3 centers if they look like they can be developed. I don't expect O'Neill to stick and Quinn's future depends on whether Peterson picks things up relatively quickly and whether they think the other SGs can cover so they can slide Jewell to PG. That's why O'Hea and Clark are so useful - versatility and veteran savvy when you pair them with younger players.

They looked so much more comfortable last season once they reacquired Quinn so that Loyd no longer had to slide over. So I'd be surprised if they dumped the security blanket of Quinn. But they look awfully perimeter-heavy if they keep Bird, Loyd, Clark, Peterson, Quinn, KML, O'Hea and Whitcomb. So that final cut that gets them down to 12 could be a little tricky, barring injuries/trades to simplify things.

PostPosted: 04/15/17 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird/Quinn/Peterson
Loyd/O'Hea/Whitcomb
Clark/Mosqueda-Lewis
Stewart/Langhorne/Tokashiki
Swords/Montgomery

Need one cut or deal from the group of:
Quinn, Peterson, O'Hea, Mosqueda-Lewis, or Whitcomb
Whitty better show up!

Nerd2

PostPosted: 04/15/17 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

They looked so much more comfortable last season once they reacquired Quinn so that Loyd no longer had to slide over. So I'd be surprised if they dumped the security blanket of Quinn. But they look awfully perimeter-heavy if they keep Bird, Loyd, Clark, Peterson, Quinn, KML, O'Hea and Whitcomb. So that final cut that gets them down to 12 could be a little tricky, barring injuries/trades to simplify things.

Hence my comment that so much depended on Peterson. If she picks it up, they might consider dropping Quinn. But otherwise, they'll need to feel ok about Loyd moving over or keep Quinn and either drop both the young posts or make a decision over KML/Whitcomb/O'Hea. I'm rather hoping KML comes in in shape to make it a difficult choice.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/15/17 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Hence my comment that so much depended on Peterson. If she picks it up, they might consider dropping Quinn. But otherwise, they'll need to feel ok about Loyd moving over or keep Quinn and either drop both the young posts or make a decision over KML/Whitcomb/O'Hea. I'm rather hoping KML comes in in shape to make it a difficult choice.

It's a nice problem to have.

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle Storm Issues Statement on Sue Bird

Quote:
“Sue underwent a left knee scope earlier this month. At this point, she is not participating in camp; her rehab and progression are on schedule. Her timetable for participation in camp is not set, but we are expecting her back at full strength soon.”

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/23/17 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://storm.wnba.com/news/seattle-storm-issues-statement-sue-bird/

I wonder about the timing of this scope. Why not do it earlier? She didnt play overseas or was she only recently bothered by her knee because she upped her training sessions to get ready for the season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/23/17 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Petey's shot at making the team just increased by a lot.

- Amanda Gorman
merlina

PostPosted: 04/23/17 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storm-opens-training-camp-without-sue-bird/

toad455

PostPosted: 04/23/17 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

merlina wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storm-opens-training-camp-without-sue-bird/

Agreed it's weird she waited to have this done now. But they seem hopefully she'll be ready by May 13.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/24/17 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be looking forward to Media Day so I can see Carolyn Swords in a Storm uniform.

Here's hoping she gets a card in this year's TC set.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/24/17 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't count Peterson out of anything...she doesn't quit. W/o Bird, she might end up starting. She's a tiger.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/24/17 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terrible news for seattle.It's never minor when a 14 year,36 year old veteran has their knee scoped,especially only one month before the season starts,a short season at that.S.Bird was my biggest concern coming into this season for the storm.Big setback for seattle.This could cost them a spot in the playoffs.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think people are overreacting to the Bird situation, unless they weren't able to find and fix the problem. They rarely give us details like that.

Quinn though looks in as good of shape as I've ever seen her. Make Maya envious of those muscles.

I noticed in my last depth chart I have Lanay Montgomery as a lock. WTH? Might have to revisit that. That doesn't seem like a good situation.

Last edited by Shades on 04/24/17 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
stever

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:30 am    ::: Boucek pleased with first day of practice Reply Reply with quote

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storm-coach-jenny-boucek-pleased-with-first-day-of-practice/

Quote:
(On not having Bird for practice) “It’s a challenge and it’s an opportunity. I’ve been working with Sue off and on now for – what is it? – 14 years. It’s a comfort zone for me. She’s obviously one of the best point guards to ever play the game. I think the best point guard to ever play. Not having her out there is a little bit of a challenge because she has a way of modeling things and bringing out the best in people. And so we didn’t have that on the court. But it’s also an opportunity because Sue is not unfortunately going to be able to play forever. And we’ve got now players that are going to need to grow into bigger roles and bigger leadership voices. So it’s a challenge on one hand, and it’s a great opportunity for our team.”

zune69

PostPosted: 04/24/17 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle finished sub .500 in 2016 with 3 all-league players......any slippage from Bird could send them into the lottery,and that might not be a bad thing.Peterson is a low I.Q undersized pg.Quinn shot 27% last season.

Missing the playoffs and getting a top 4 pick wouldn't be the worst outcome for seattle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 7 of 19

Jump to: