RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Amanda Butler out at Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/17 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
REALLY!?? Vic would LEAVE what he just built at MS-State, even before the mortar is dry? I mean, good connections to an AD, maybe a truckload of $$$ thrown at ya, even.....is THAT a bigger draw than what he's created in MS? That is not something easily replicated. And he'd be the FIRST to tell ya.

What would be his strongest motives??

1. Well, yes, money matters, so that's one plus for Florida. Even if he now decides to stay in Starkville, he will get a raise from Miss St. to retain him.

2. He may like the community in Gainesville better than that in Starkville, or his wife might.

3. The AD who hired him is now in Florida (as you mentioned) so he may want to continue that relationship.

4. Florida has a better recruiting base than Mississippi, and it is perceived as a better destination for out-of-state recruits.

There may be others, but that's what I came up with.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/08/17 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Howee wrote:
REALLY!?? Vic would LEAVE what he just built at MS-State, even before the mortar is dry? I mean, good connections to an AD, maybe a truckload of $$$ thrown at ya, even.....is THAT a bigger draw than what he's created in MS? That is not something easily replicated. And he'd be the FIRST to tell ya.

1. Well, yes, money matters, so that's one plus for Florida. Even if he now decides to stay in Starkville, he will get a raise from Miss St. to retain him.

2. He may like the community in Gainesville better than that in Starkville, or his wife might.

3. The AD who hired him is now in Florida (as you mentioned) so he may want to continue that relationship.

4. Florida has a better recruiting base than Mississippi, and it is perceived as a better destination for out-of-state recruits.

The money issue isn't just his salary. It's the ability to pay more to his assistants (meaning you can hire better ones). It's the ability to have a bigger recruiting budget. It's the ability to have better and more frequently upgraded equipment and facilities. Etc., etc., etc.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/08/17 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Howee wrote:

The money issue isn't just his salary. It's the ability to pay more to his assistants (meaning you can hire better ones). It's the ability to have a bigger recruiting budget. It's the ability to have better and more frequently upgraded equipment and facilities. Etc., etc., etc.

Excellent point.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 03/08/17 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He should run to Florida, Mississippi St. will not be that good next year, they are losing 4 seniors to graduation

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/08/17 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
He should run to Florida, Mississippi St. will not be that good next year, they are losing 4 seniors to graduation

Okorie's probably the only one they might miss. As long as they have Vivians and McCowan back, they'll probably be as good as this year. And if they play the same schedule they'll have the same inflated record.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/08/17 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

The huge home state recruiting base in Florida is probably the biggest thing.

Say you keep 3 of the top 5 players in the state each year. Which team would you prefer, Florida or Mississippi? I don't think it's close.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/09/17 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Okorie's probably the only one they might miss. As long as they have Vivians and McCowan back, they'll probably be as good as this year. And if they play the same schedule they'll have the same inflated record.

Okorie may apply for an extra year, an option made available to her because of eligibility issues her first year. But she petered out as the year went on so how much she contributes outside of being a sparring partner for McCowan I practice remains to be seen. The senior they'll miss most is Dillingham and her defense. But they have Ro Johnson and two five stars new to the roster in Frosh Nyah Tate and Arky transfer Jordan Danberry who will be available second semester. I think they'll be just as good if not better.
But in the longer term, Florida has got to be more appealing. I ultimately think somewhere in Texas is where Vic settles.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/17 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

Okorie may apply for an extra year, an option made available to her because of eligibility issues her first year. But she petered out as the year went on so how much she contributes outside of being a sparring partner for McCowan I practice remains to be seen. The senior they'll miss most is Dillingham and her defense. But they have Ro Johnson and two five stars new to the roster in Frosh Nyah Tate and Arky transfer Jordan Danberry who will be available second semester. I think they'll be just as good if not better.
But in the longer term, Florida has got to be more appealing. I ultimately think somewhere in Texas is where Vic settles.

If Okarie returns she gives them great depth in the post, and McCowan hasn't shown she can play 30+ minutes, both because of fitness and fouls. I think they're better with Okorie than without her. Didn't know she might return.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/09/17 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

The reason I believe that he stays at Ms State is that they gave him the opportunity when many other Power 5 programs wanted a younger coach. He has spoken many times about that. That being said, anything can happen.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/09/17 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Howee wrote:

The reason I believe that he stays at Ms State is that they gave him the opportunity when many other Power 5 programs wanted a younger coach. He has spoken many times about that. That being said, anything can happen.

But the guy who gave him that break is now the AD at Florida, so if it's loyalty that drives him, it may lead him to Gainesville.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/09/17 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think what complicates this is that Gary Blair will be 72 before the start of next year. The risk of taking a rebuild job at UF is if he loses for a few years his stock may not be as high when A&M opens, where right now you'd think it would be easier to win at MSU for the next couple of years. Even if they fall back some, still a potential NCAA tournament team which is more than you can say about UF given who they graduate and the recruits they may lose.

Shaefer is from Texas, A&M alum, coached at A&M from 2003-2012. Its rare enough to see a coach jump from 1 job in a conference to another within the same conference, but I just can't imagine he could or would jump from MSU to UF to A&M all within a small time frame. Maybe he thinks staying at MSU for a year or two positions him better for the A&M job.

Also, his daughter has one year left in college, does he really want to leave before her senior year? If he left I don't think its as simple as she could just join him. Some leagues don't allow intra-conference transfers without losing a year of eligibility. With 1 year left she can't do that, plus some schools won't release you to schools within the conference.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/09/17 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would expect that if he goes to UF he is abandoning any notion of replacing Blair. Florida would be a destination job. And the AD would insist on assurances of that.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/10/17 1:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Howee wrote:

But the guy who gave him that break is now the AD at Florida, so if it's loyalty that drives him, it may lead him to Gainesville.

I realize that. I just don't think that his loyalty will be to Stricklin, but to State. He doesn't seem like a jumper and they will take care of him financially in Starkvegas.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 03/10/17 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I think its still a done deal, Florida as early as Tuesday of this week were reaching out to a few more BIG name coaches. Id say this sets as about 90% done. As we all know alot can heppen in 30 minutes. Very Happy

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Gators granted McLaughlin a contact release, allowing her to talk with other schools. That opened a flood of calls from coaches across the country. She's reopened her recruitment, but for now she is still bound by her national letter of intent with Florida.

Would be great if Purdue or IU could get her.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18921397/indiana-gatorade-player-year-karissa-mclaughlin-swamped-suitors-reopening-recruitment

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/17/17 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Quote:
The Gators granted McLaughlin a contact release, allowing her to talk with other schools. That opened a flood of calls from coaches across the country. She's reopened her recruitment, but for now she is still bound by her national letter of intent with Florida.

Would be great if Purdue or IU could get her.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18921397/indiana-gatorade-player-year-karissa-mclaughlin-swamped-suitors-reopening-recruitment

Looks like she is considering Florida (will wait to make a decision until she talks to/meets whoever the new coach is), Purdue, Michigan, Indiana.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: